Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's the video that downtown shot came from.

Link

Watching this made me wonder what the legalities of flying these are.

I mean like how high can one legally take one before it becomes a hazard for small aircraft?

Or flying one over urban areas where a crash could cause injury to a person a building or someone's property.

Or filming over private property with one.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I mean like how high can one legally take one before it becomes a hazard for small aircraft?

Or flying one over urban areas where a crash could cause injury to a person a building or someone's property.

Just curious.

There aren't currently very many regulations specifically for these types of aircraft.  The FAA is supposed to have some out in 2015/2016 I believe.  As for liability, those are untested waters currently.
Filming over private property, how is this any different from Google earth when you get up a ways?  However TX currently has legislation pending that would make it a crime to capture the image of people or property without their permission via an unmanned vehicle, airborne or not.  It would also make any image captured no admissible in civil or criminal proceedings.  I know for a fact that the city of Houston is against this bill passing as they see it will not allow the use of police dash cams.  The car effectively becomes an unmanned vehicle doing the filming once the office steps out of it.

Even if it passes, there is too much case law allowing photography from pretty much any public area or airway so I doubt it will stand long.  

It will also be negative in getting jobs to Texas in what is an pretty quick expanding drone industry.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Like anything else, there are already idiots trying to ban them or heavily restrict em.

I'm told in the US 300 feet is a rough threshold for playing around (its actually really high for a small quad), anything past that and you start approaching getting attention from FAA and pissing off pilots. Common sense has a huge factor, even a 1lb craft falling out of the sky can do some serious damage or worse yet, kill something. Dont fly near airports.... although I admit the desire to do a hover right outside the ATC tower window is strong....

I fly in rural areas mostly but will soon slowly encroach as I get camera gear going. There are also some FCC concerns with some of the gear, I've been encouraged to get a HAM license by my boss, who is a HAM.

I'm also told that aerial photography on a commercial basis is currently not legal but it is a huge reason a lot of people get these. Lots of them in Europe, UK and AU.

This is all regurgitated from what I've learned from various UAV forums so it may not be accurate, I have not yet found any real legislation on the books.

Privacy issues are of course all over the news with government used craft.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent post OP.  

I have an AR Parrot.  It is pretty amazing, other than the short battery life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
wait...
why do you have vagina balls in a bowl on your table?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Just curious.

You can't take the sky from me
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excellent post OP.  

Have a ardrone too along with a couple bastens 1300mah batteries, it is a blast outside when it isn't windy
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#10]
This is for obvious reasons an addicting hobby, pretty impressive. I'm going to stay on the sidelines for this one though. LOL
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent post OP.  

Have a ardrone too along with a couple bastens 1300mah batteries, it is a blast outside when it isn't windy

How long is the run time with those batteries?

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#12]
fuck you guys, i don't need another $$$ hobby.  must............resist...............the................awesomeness................potential.........
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
fuck you guys, i don't need another $$$ hobby.  must............resist...............the................awesomeness................potential.........

How else are you going to take photos like this?  And then dive vertically only to pull up in time to skim along the ground?

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How else are you going to take photos like this?  And then dive vertically only to pull up in time to skim along the ground?

http://members.quixnet.net/mcress/Quad/downtown-1.jpg

So you built yours.

Where can someone who doesn't want to build one buy one that has the capability to do all that yours can do?

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]
OP you owe me $42. You caused me to buy the Syma version off Amazon.

Now if I could just learn how to fly the damn thing
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
thats... awesome!
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you built yours.
Where can someone who doesn't want to build one buy one that has the capability to do all that yours can do?

Most flying RC toys are very much "your milage may vary".  Especially when you get into the FPV segments.  There are few off the shelf options for FPV that will do half as well as one you can build.

As for just getting in the air with a quad the size I have.  Try the DJI Phantom

Its pretty advanced for off the shelf.  However fair warning, its not easy to repair WHEN you crash it.  Crashing these things is not an IF, but far more of a WHEN.

I recommend starting off with the little ones first and getting comfortable with the controls before moving up to this size or larger.  Repairs are easier and much cheaper!!

The tiny ones won't hurt you if you fly it into yourself.  These larger ones will.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Find a way to carry and release payload. There are some creative, crafty motherfuckers on this board for sure. I thought my home made night vision was cool
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So you built yours.

The Phantom is a great entry level quad that's ready to go, but if you have money coming from your pores, I'd hit this from TeamBlackSheep.

And since you seem to be a fan of RIO.....TeamBlackSheep in RIO

I got my camera mounted and did a quick video this afternoon, uploading now. Not very exciting to watch, but might be interesting to some.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Most flying RC toys are very much "your milage may vary".  Especially when you get into the FPV segments.  There are few off the shelf options for FPV that will do half as well as one you can build.

As for just getting in the air with a quad the size I have.  Try the DJI Phantom

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ydKo61hYL._SL1024_.jpg

Its pretty advanced for off the shelf.  However fair warning, its not easy to repair WHEN you crash it.  Crashing these things is not an IF, but far more of a WHEN.

I recommend starting off with the little ones first and getting comfortable with the controls before moving up to this size or larger.  Repairs are easier and much cheaper!!

The tiny ones won't hurt you if you fly it into yourself.  These larger ones will.....

I'm a big fan of the Blade mQX I posted earlier in the thread.  It is reasonably robust, however it when it does break the parts are easy to get and very easy to swap out.   Nearly everything on the mQX is friction fit, with exception of the props ( one very small screw ) and the control board which is bolted onto the frame.  I've broken props, a landing skid, two booms, fragged one motor, totally wrecked two sets of bearings and a couple of the prop shafts are out of true judging from the wobble in the main gears.   Despite all that, the thing is still flying.  The worst place to fly it so far has been a parking lot, I broke the majority of parts landing in various attitudes on concrete.

Before I flew the model, I learned some basics with a flight simulator ( Phoenix 4.0 ) which gave me the confidence to fly the mQX the first time.  The simulator reacts pretty much the same as the mQX which surprised me.

I think I want to FPV with a hexcopter, so I'm saving my pennies for something like a DJI F550.

It gives me something to do while I wait for ammo prices to come down I guess.

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent post OP.  

Easy 15 to 20 minutes

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So you built yours.

The is also the Parrot AR Drone if you have and android or apple phone/tablet with wifi, can get the drone for under 300 shipped, just be sure to get spare props/gears/shafts and batteries
It is limited to under 900 ft range from tablet phone, depending on interference and strength of the wifi, I lost control of mine last night about 1/8 of a mile and about 100 ft in the air, I was using the stock battery and it was getting pretty low when I found the drone hanging in a tree, retrieved it with a chainsaw, undamaged.

The AR Drone has a front facing camera and a down facing camera which streams to your phone/tablet and it will record to a usb stick that you can attach to the drone and/or record direct to the phone/tablet
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Break out the drone shotgun loads.
Let's see if we can destroy this thing in one shot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Love it OP.

Hope you have an SO because if you fixate on some poor lass with half the enthusiasm you poured into this new hobby, someone is getting a restraining order for Christmas.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent post OP.  

Easy 15 to 20 minutes

Thanks.  I'll check them out.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tell me about it.......  

http://i.imgur.com/SPssPRC.jpg

Very nice!  Looks like you didn't cut many corners on that build!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Any links on how to build one of those?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm embarrassed to say it but I lost and recovered it last night during a foolish attempt at flying with too much wind. There was very little wind at ground level but at about 150 feet there must have been a good 30-40 mph flow.

The good news is I put it down in a parking lot, and nothing was damaged except my gear and my pride.  

Wont be doing that again. Those pool noodle wind vanes are going to be exchanged for something with less profile and my RTL parameters need to be changed. The autopilot was unable to get past the wind with the current configuration and settings.

New parts are on the way and gonna do some looking into Mexico with the camera.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm embarrassed to say it but I lost and recovered it last night during a foolish attempt at flying with too much wind. There was very little wind at ground level but at about 150 feet there must have been a good 30-40 mph flow.

<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/20130515_215541_zps998a49aa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/20130515_215541_zps998a49aa.jpg</a>

The good news is I put it down in a parking lot, and nothing was damaged except my gear and my pride.  

<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/20130515_212433_zps6ead4f58.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/20130515_212433_zps6ead4f58.jpg</a>

Wont be doing that again. Those pool noodle wind vanes are going to be exchanged for something with less profile and my RTL parameters need to be changed. The autopilot was unable to get past the wind with the current configuration and settings.

New parts are on the way and gonna do some looking into Mexico with the camera.

Nice save!!!

High winds can catch you by surprise and tall buildings can certainly generate their own wind in some VERY interesting directions.  Were you in a downtown setting?
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 2:18:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Launched from and intended to fly around a graveyard. Wind carried it to a mall, it dropped in a Red Lobster parking lot.

Still trying to make sense of the on board data recorder, it should have done it's best to softly land. I suspect it's due to the elevation difference from launch to where it went.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Launched from and intended to fly around a graveyard. Wind carried it to a mall, it dropped in a Red Lobster parking lot.

Still trying to make sense of the on board data recorder, it should have done it's best to softly land. I suspect it's due to the elevation difference from launch to where it went.

So there are no sensors on the bottom to tell it how far above the ground(or other object) it is?  My ARDrone has two sensors on the bottom that give it its altitude readings but no GPS for them yet and they aren't as neat as your hexacopter

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]
We need swarms of those armed with light weapons patrolling the US/Mexican border. With larger drones like the X47Bs in support.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great just what I need, another hobby

This! I keep looking at them, but not buying.... this just eggs things on!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Thread needs more solar panels...

http://www.gizmag.com/solarcopter-solar-helicopter/26645/

I know, the tech isn't quite there yet. But can you imagine what  better batteries/solar-efficient cells would result in? Near-continuous fly time. Wanna fly your toy to Mother Russia? Just plug in the coords and let auto-pilot take you there.

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What are those balls in that bowl?

Rich people apples.  They're fucking delicious!
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#38]
All that $ and not a team member. Your priorities are all wrong son
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#40]
OP,

What are the least (approx.) mah/minute needed to fly with a pre-programmed flight path?

Just wondering if I could calculate how far we would be from solar-powered flying??? Imagine being able to send one of these things anywhere you wanted, weather permitting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Solar is a no go with multirotors, you can see from my HUD that at full throttle I'm pulling 46 amps at roughly 12v.

There is a contingent of guys flying gliders with solar panels and with heavy thermal use have flown 25 miles out and back. This requires serious upgrades in antenna gear to keep video going tho.

Still waiting for replacement gear and a second record only camera (for crash footage).
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there are no sensors on the bottom to tell it how far above the ground(or other object) it is?  My ARDrone has two sensors on the bottom that give it its altitude readings but no GPS for them yet and they aren't as neat as your hexacopter

You can get sonar sensors but they are hard to get working correctly and only work below somewhere around 50 feet. They are used primarily for hover stability, some are trying to use them as obstacle avoidance (MIT level geeks).

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
When does the airsoft turret get mounted on it lol. That's nuts I wish i had the time to do that shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Well mine went down yesterday and won't be getting back up.  All parts recoverable and reusable but the frame.  Fortunately I had a GoPro onboard to catch the fun.  The wind coming over the trees was too stiff.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#45]
had never heard of these.....amazon here I come
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#46]
ARF strikes again.  

I just picked up a Heli-Max 1SQ Ready-To-Fly RC QuadCopter HMXE0834

I assume I will need pick up something that can handle FPV flight as well as recording.............Damnit.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ARF strikes again.  

I just picked up a Heli-Max 1SQ Ready-To-Fly RC QuadCopter HMXE0834

I assume I will need pick up something that can handle FPV flight as well as recording.............Damnit.  

Those little quads are a gateway drug and the first time you fly FPV you will be hooked!
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#48]
She lives again:

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
She lives again:

<a href="http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/JohnSmith6073/media/20130523_150715_zps53f99d7d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/JohnSmith6073/20130523_150715_zps53f99d7d.jpg</a>

Nice but are there springs in the new landing gear?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well mine went down yesterday and won't be getting back up.  All parts recoverable and reusable but the frame.  Fortunately I had a GoPro onboard to catch the fun.  The wind coming over the trees was too stiff.

http://youtu.be/KgT_I1sfTa0

Sucks. That tiny frame is cool.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top