Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the damn Vision+ model is just the way to go instead of twisting myself into a pretzel on this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DJI just said it wouldn't work, didn't offer any advice on what would. Funny, you'd think they'd want to make a sale. I've read all those threads (well just about all of them) and every time I think I have my questions answered it feels like I'm starting over. I was looking at their Lightbridge and then about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Sounds like I need to ditch the iPad idea. I research the shit out of things and am a quick study on stuff, usually, this is making me feel like a grade schooler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alright I've read most of these threads and am still confused, there are just too many levels to this stuff. If someone can post or IM me an answer to a couple of question I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get a DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal so I can use my own GoPro 3+ but would like to do FPV flying with my iPad Air as the monitor. I'm just interested in video/photography with as a  safe a set-up as possible so my investment isn't unnecessarily jeopardized...
1. Besides the Phantom and 3D gimbal, what else do I need for FPV with my iPad?
2. Is it cheaper more effective to use something besides an iPad?
3. What other questions about the above set-up/needs am I not asking but should be?
Thanks!

You will not be able to use the IPad with the P2.  You will need a 5.8mhz FPV system.  You asked this on the other thread and I assumed DJI explained this in your email.  The reason is the P2 operates at 2.4 ghz.  The P2V works on 5.8Ghz.  Wifi operates on 2.4 ghz.  You cannot run wifi with a quad that operates on 2.4 ghz because of interference with the flight control.  That is why the P2V is able to transmit FPV via WiFi.  Using almost any other quad other than the FC40 or the P2V you will need a separate FPV setup.  DJI makes a system specifically for the P2.  Do a little more searching.  All this info is in the thread link I posted and that forum is the ARFcom of RC.  All your questions can be answered there by much more knowledgeable RC enthusiast.  The GoPro can be used as the FPV camera via a special cable that plugs into the FPV transmitter but it will not be using WiFi to send that signal to the ground station.

DJI just said it wouldn't work, didn't offer any advice on what would. Funny, you'd think they'd want to make a sale. I've read all those threads (well just about all of them) and every time I think I have my questions answered it feels like I'm starting over. I was looking at their Lightbridge and then about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Sounds like I need to ditch the iPad idea. I research the shit out of things and am a quick study on stuff, usually, this is making me feel like a grade schooler.

You can buy a FatShark system or build something similar for starting around $200.  I use the FatShark system but don't like using the goggles.  I bought a cheap monitor for $79 that plugs into the goggles for display.  You can get monitors with built in battery and receiver for as little as $99.  All you would need then is a transmitter and the cable to plug into the GoPro..  You really need to spend time on the RC forum.  Nearly every thread is 1000+ pages so it takes a while
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe the damn Vision+ model is just the way to go instead of twisting myself into a pretzel on this stuff.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with the newest P2V.  The camera isn't as good as a GoPro but it's pretty dang good for most.  Read the P2V+ thread over there if you haven't.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The ups man just dropped off my new setup, pictured here next to my Phantom 1 rig.

I used my Manfrotto monopod for the FPV base station, which has a tripod foot to keep it stable.

My Dad is the one who's hooking me up with these. He brought the P1 up last month for me to get used to flying, and he just sent the P2 setup for me to start filming better video. My Dad rocks!

For those wondering, he has a ton of quads, and this was a backup to his main P2 that he's been testing with the new DGI Lightbridge (he's not too happy with it this far). He has over 35 years of RC experience, and has been dealing with multi-rotors from the get go.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where do you fly? Doesn't seem to be many in North Texas...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where do you fly? Doesn't seem to be many in North Texas...

There's a pretty good number of us. I fly in Grapevine at the 114th RC Aero Squadron field.

North Texas Drone User's Group has a lot of members too.

Quoted:

Honestly? I thought I'd HATE the Vision+ because you get so tied to DJI parts and equipment. But, I traded a 50cc Pitts Python straight up for one, and I have to say I'm impressed. For a dumbed-down all-inclusive AP rig for the masses, the thing is pretty darn good, and it just plain WORKS. You'd probably be very pleased with it, at least for something to practice with and later as a backup.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback on the Phantom 2V+. Looks like to do get the equivalent in the non-V+ Set-up (only better) it'll require about 2K including the GoPro. Benefit is a better setup and the GoPro can be used outside the rig for whatever you want. Honestly not sure what to do here...
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback on the Phantom 2V+. Looks like to do get the equivalent in the non-V+ Set-up (only better) it'll require about 2K including the GoPro. Benefit is a better setup and the GoPro can be used outside the rig for whatever you want. Honestly not sure what to do here...
View Quote

I like the simplicity of having a permanent camera instead of taking the camera on and off when I need it as a handheld. Buy the P2V+, AND a GoPro...

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Too bad the FAA just banned FPV or autonomous flight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like their opinion means anything. Until it's a law, screw them.

And after that, still screw them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is the law.  Since 2012.  They just decided to interpret it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
On the Phantom 2 V+ does the on screen data displayed just show up on the video link or is it on the video recording as well?
Also can anyone comment on it's real world FPV/flight range?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

screw then in 2010,2011,2012,2013, and still today. Screw them. I have moved to rc to avoid the mental anguish of my rights being trampled on. FAA shows up they better duck faster than 3100fps

ETA got my TBS discovery all setup and flying with a new gopro-bro hero3+ black.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
screw then in 2010,2011,2012,2013, and still today. Screw them. I have moved to rc to avoid the mental anguish of my rights being trampled on. FAA shows up they better duck faster than 3100fps

ETA got my TBS discovery all setup and flying with a new gopro-bro hero3+ black.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't worked on my new Flip 360 yet, but it'll be up and running soon. I did maiden my new Armattan CF226... extremely fast and has a weird alien sound. I ended up crashing it due to the FC spazzing out where it shouldn'y have though. Now I have to wait for my new props to arrive (hopefully tomorrow)

Quoted:
On the Phantom 2 V+ does the on screen data displayed just show up on the video link or is it on the video recording as well?
Also can anyone comment on it's real world FPV/flight range?

Mine only shows what the camera sees. Dunno if there's a mod for telemetry or not (doubt it).

For real-world range... I haven't really pushed it, but it'll go at least 1/4 mile with a solid signal out in the boonies. I've also had less than 10' range in high-interference areas, so it depends a lot on your location. Generally a few hundred feet shouldn't be a problem, but it's really designed for fairly close work within line of sight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info. Although it sounds like a nice all in one package the distance does not sound impressive. These Phantoms seem pretty kick ass but they need an ala carte option  for this want the high end parts but more custom features. Surprises me they don't yet, probably want to sell as many Visions as possible first. I'm gonna wait until I see what I want from them in a way I want to do it with out all the hours and hours of research needed with a question mark of what will work and what won't.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#15]
My Flip 360 and new Armattan CF226 are both airworthy now. New antennas coming for the Flip's video system soon, and I'll be playing around in the trees

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Although it sounds like a nice all in one package the distance does not sound impressive. These Phantoms seem pretty kick ass but they need an ala carte option  for this want the high end parts but more custom features. Surprises me they don't yet, probably want to sell as many Visions as possible first. I'm gonna wait until I see what I want from them in a way I want to do it with out all the hours and hours of research needed with a question mark of what will work and what won't.
View Quote

I like the P2V+ for the specific purpose of close to medium range film and photography. It's not going to excel at either (at least not at a professional level), but for personal work it's very, very good for an all-inclusive system. What exactly do you want to do?

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Bro.....do you have any idea how COOL YOU ARE?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Flip 360 and new Armattan CF226 are both airworthy now. New antennas coming for the Flip's video system soon, and I'll be playing around in the trees

I like the P2V+ for the specific purpose of close to medium range film and photography. It's not going to excel at either (at least not at a professional level), but for personal work it's very, very good for an all-inclusive system. What exactly do you want to do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ultimately looking for some thing with a little bit more range and certainly more FPV range than the Vision + seems to offer. I'd like to do a Phantom 2 with the 3D gimbal, GoPro 3+ and then the 5.8 ghz video link setup, problem is there are too many options to sift through with no guarantee of performance or fly away bullshit. If you got any suggestions for that let me know as I'd appreciate any advice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ultimately looking for some thing with a little bit more range and certainly more FPV range than the Vision + seems to offer. I'd like to do a Phantom 2 with the 3D gimbal, GoPro 3+ and then the 5.8 ghz video link setup, problem is there are too many options to sift through with no guarantee of performance or fly away bullshit. If you got any suggestions for that let me know as I'd appreciate any advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably be wise to hold off on investing very much in FPV stuff until this FAA bullshit gets straightened out since they have essentially banned FVP flight.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the heads up on the FAA but I'm not worried about them (maybe I should be) but more concerned with not experimenting with my money on shit that doesn't work, want a top notch setup the first time out and like the Phantoms!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#20]
what do you guys think of the various Drone Kits offered by DSLRpros.com?

I was considering the Cannes kit, which is 10% off right now...
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow. Really impressive.  Good shit, OP.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like the simplicity of having a permanent camera instead of taking the camera on and off when I need it as a handheld. Buy the P2V+, AND a GoPro...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is the video quality of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus comparable to the GoPro Hero 3+ Black?

I'd like to meet up with you sometime in Grapevine to check it out because I'm now leaning toward the 2V+...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#23]
This jerk found an awesome deal for the really dedicated.

The blackmagic pocket cinemas are 50% off for a short while 500 instead of 1k.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

is the video quality of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus comparable to the GoPro Hero 3+ Black?

I'd like to meet up with you sometime in Grapevine to check it out because I'm now leaning toward the 2V+...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's quite to the level of a GoPro, but I only have a Silver 3 so I dunno. It's definitely not bad video though!

You're welcome to visit the 114th RC AeroSquadron in Grapevine any time... I'm out there once or twice a week right now, used to be more but I've been busy lately.

http://114thrc.org/ Field cams on the link, you can see if people are out there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple of days ago I ran into a guy from Detroit at my field. He brought out a Blackout on 5.8ghz, and I happened to have my 5.8ghz diversity receiver in the car so I found his channel and rode along with my Headplay goggles while he flew.

Aaaaand I was so impressed with the way the Blackout handled I went ahead and bought a used one today off of RCGroups

So now I have 8. And one I fly for someone else, and another on the way for that purpose. And parts for several.

Frikkin' quads, man. I'm about to sell a Flip 360 FPV though if anyone is interested
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

A couple of days ago I ran into a guy from Detroit at my field. He brought out a Blackout on 5.8ghz, and I happened to have my 5.8ghz diversity receiver in the car so I found his channel and rode along with my Headplay goggles while he flew.

Aaaaand I was so impressed with the way the Blackout handled I went ahead and bought a used one today off of RCGroups

So now I have 8. And one I fly for someone else, and another on the way for that purpose. And parts for several.

Frikkin' quads, man. I'm about to sell a Flip 360 FPV though if anyone is interested
View Quote

Sounds like BRD, LOL.

I'm up to four now, with my main ones being the Phantom and Phantom 2. I have plans to get a S800 or maybe something from the guys at 3DRobotics (X8?) I want to get a larger, more capable camera in the air at some point.

Did you attend the free online Creative Live class this week? It was pretty good. Peter Sachs shared some insight on laws, etc.; but did not give actual legal advice

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sounds like BRD, LOL.

I'm up to four now, with my main ones being the Phantom and Phantom 2. I have plans to get a S800 or maybe something from the guys at 3DRobotics (X8?) I want to get a larger, more capable camera in the air at some point.

Did you attend the free online Creative Live class this week? It was pretty good. Peter Sachs shared some insight on laws, etc.; but did not give actual legal advice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like BRD, LOL.

I didn't attend that or even hear about it, sounds interesting.

And yeah, pretty much BRD. I've been flying RC for about 20 years now and have gone through so many planes I don't think there's any way I could ever count them all (I've got about 20 right now and I've been working down my inventory for months). I've only been flying multis for a couple of years
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

And yeah, pretty much BRD. I've been flying RC for about 20 years now and have gone through so many planes I don't think there's any way I could ever count them all (I've got about 20 right now and I've been working down my inventory for months). I've only been flying multis for a couple of years

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like BRD, LOL.

My pops has been into RC for like 40+ years, he was always pushing planes on me and I hated it. He's on RCGroups, UniversalRC is his screen name. When he got into multi-rotors (when they first came about basically), I started to pay attention. It wasn't until about a year or two ago that I started playing with them when he sent me some smaller ones, and I just got into the larger ones in the last few months; thanks to him again.

I'm hooked!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm eyeing the new Walkera TALI H-500, which seems to feature everything I'm seeking for an aerial video platform...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, looking at building one of these and there is SO much info out there. I think I've pieced together an ok parts list...would someone mind looking it over for me and offering advice?

" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hey guys, looking at building one of these and there is SO much info out there. I think I've pieced together an ok parts list...would someone mind looking it over for me and offering advice?
http://<a href=http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/theglassprison/Screenshot2014-07-28153402_zps647d910c.png</a>" />
View Quote
need silicone wires and battery connectors and esc distroboard or just solder the wires together
the accucel6 is okay, but there is a better one called B6AC...its an accucel but with built in power supply

that ballancer is not great, need one on a stand preferably with a bubble level

you are missing radio and receiver....

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
need silicone wires and battery connectors and esc distroboard or just solder the wires together

the accucel6 is okay, but there is a better one called B6AC...its an accucel but with built in power supply

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/theglassprison/Screenshot2014-07-28153402_zps647d910c.png</a>" />

Perfect, thank you.

Is the battery going to give enough power?

Motors sufficient with that size frame?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Perfect, thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfect, thank you.

Yea, motors and battery MAh should be ok. Might get 10-15min flight.

Might consider a larger C rating. 25C will be hard on the battery and will heat up. get 40C or greater.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Instead of hobby king, try ready to fly quads.  And get a flip board instead of the KK2, only $15

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/build-a-quad.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Might consider a larger C rating. 25C will be hard on the battery and will heat up. get 40C or greater.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect, thank you.

Great, I'll make that change. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Instead of hobby king, try ready to fly quads.  And get a flip board instead of the KK2, only $15

View Quote

What makes that board better? The KK2 seems to be popular

ETA- looking over RTF quads, look like decent prices.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

faster processing = more stable and agile

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Those are brushed ESCs, BTW. You need brushless.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Those are brushed ESCs, BTW. You need brushless.
View Quote

Made the change, thanks.

Opinions on ESCs?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=30699

or

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/f-30a-fire-red-normal-esc-with-rapidesc-fw-for-multirotor.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been flying a DJI Phantom1 for over a year.  Lots of cool video and shots, but about 4 months ago purchased a FatShark.  Problem is, even after googling the "how to" I'm clueless.  I have zero experience soldiering since like 35 years ago when I was making home made radios.  

Are there any specific step by step pages, videos or even better companies who will take my gear and set it up for me?  I'd prefer to do it myself, but again have no clue.  Started looking at variable temp soldering irons, etc but everytime I look into it you get the "be careful not to screw it up" clauses that makes me...nervous.  

Oh, and I'm probably the only guy who has NOT updated it since I bought it in January 2012.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've been flying a DJI Phantom1 for over a year.  Lots of cool video and shots, but about 4 months ago purchased a FatShark.  Problem is, even after googling the "how to" I'm clueless.  I have zero experience soldiering since like 35 years ago when I was making home made radios.  

Are there any specific step by step pages, videos or even better companies who will take my gear and set it up for me?  I'd prefer to do it myself, but again have no clue.  Started looking at variable temp soldering irons, etc but everytime I look into it you get the "be careful not to screw it up" clauses that makes me...nervous.  

Oh, and I'm probably the only guy who has NOT updated it since I bought it in January 2012.
View Quote

You should not need to do any soldering with the Fatshark as they are a complete system.  Just plug the transmitter into the balance cable on the battery.  ETA I do have some longer balance cables the I bought off EBay that make this a little easier but the battery wire will fit between the latch gap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You should not need to do any soldering with the Fatshark as they are a complete system.
View Quote

Key word right there. I just had to solder several things on my "RTF" Blackout when the VTX smoked on plugin
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep, just as bad as BRD...

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What are those balls in that bowl?
View Quote

I was thinking same thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Just got a taranis yesterday. Still have a lot to learn but got it all programed and working with naza in a couple hours and went and flew it. Really liking it. RSSI telemetry along with a non-blue screen fpv monitor have me feeling pretty safe range wise now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

talk to me, man... details, please!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Maybe we can bring this thread back to life.

My book Drone University is free until midnight Monday!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm eyeing the new Walkera TALI H-500, which seems to feature everything I'm seeking for an aerial video platform...
View Quote

I just got my P2V+ a few weeks ago. Just recently saw one of these and it's really caught my eye. Might something I'll look into if I would ever want a second.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Sold my F550.

Now I fly a Tarot 680 Pro
Phantom 2  (both with three axis gimbals)

And a DJI S900 flying a NEX 7

Nice to finally have some decent glass in the air.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Sold my F550.

Now I fly a Tarot 680 Pro

Phantom 2  (both with three axis gimbals)

And a DJI S900 flying a NEX 7

Nice to finally have some decent glass in the air.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-s5wzf2c8SWE/VB-OTj18zeI/AAAAAAAAO5A/da4rKtefL6s/s1280/DSC04076_stitch.jpg
View Quote

Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top