[#3]
Quoted:
Larue
Noveske
Daniel Defense
BCM
Colt

In that order. Fuck the rest...

Hahah I am guessing you have never heard about Christensen Arms? BCM over CMMG?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

CMMG LPKS have commercial hammers and they put a AR15 bolt catch in my MK3.  They're good for the money but not great at any price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe no one has said "Bushmaster" yet, the brand name has become a media synonym for any AR style rifle, especially when used in some type of horrific crime.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Larue
Noveske
Daniel Defense
BCM
Colt

Cant afford a KAC?

They are at the top end of the price curve, for sure. But their lowers are the best buy there is IMO. I prefer Noveske or Larue barrels, but KAC is overall phenomenal.

Simply my opinion after trying a bunch of AR's, I put Noveske/Larue as my co-favorites with KAC right behind them. If they were all the same price, I'd have 3 co-favorites.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The person pulling the trigger.

This.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larue
Noveske
Daniel Defense
BCM
Colt

what about JP? Wilson combat? etc. Its a fucking stupid discussion, because 99% of users will/would be served just fine by a S&W, armalite, or a bushmaster.  Most of the tier 1 or nothing crowd are just trying to justify their purchase. I have no issue with what people buy, I would love a complete Wilson 14.5, but I can not justify spending that much on a rifle right now. If you can afford it, good for you, but dont act like a cheaper rifle wont fit the needs of most people, because it will. Shooting 200rds a year is not a high threshold to meet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Materials
Thorough testing
Quality control
Customer service

What does this make a SMLE, M98/96 etc, most Mannlichers, a US made Mosin Nagant.........?

Garbage?

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#10]
DPMS?  Tier.....?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gun snob nomenclature.

this for a large part,

Look at 1911a1s.

While the Kimbers etc are considered Tier 1, in reality RIAs are generally every bit as reliable and in many cases moreso.

While pinpoint accuracy is nice, reliability and minute of bad guy strikes me as pretty damned good when the SHTF.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one has said "Bushmaster" yet, the brand name has become a media synonym for any AR style rifle, especially when used in some type of horrific crime.

Bushmaster hasn't been tier one, I think, ever.  Spotty QC, marketing gimmicks.  The fact that they had a "Man Card" advertisement thing going prior to Sandy Hook shows what kind of "tier" they were trying to attract.

On the other hand, love the Kuffs avatar.  Probably one of my favorite cop movies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun snob nomenclature.

this for a large part,

Look at 1911a1s.

While the Kimbers etc are considered Tier 1, in reality RIAs are generally every bit as reliable and in many cases moreso.

While pinpoint accuracy is nice, reliability and minute of bad guy strikes me as pretty damned good when the SHTF.

I've actually been told that RIAs were worthless because the grips were apparently whittled by blind squirrels and the Phillipines couldn't make a good 1911 because they were a conquered nation in WWII and weren't good for manufacturing.

Mind you, the dude who told me this is a die hard Tier 1 guy...
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#14]

This is what makes Tier One Tier One...

Behold:

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DPMS?  Tier.....?

So awesome it's Tier 0!!!  (Thats even higher than tier1)
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The blood of your enemies as lubricant and a sling made of their skins

the lower hammered on the forges of Endor.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a tier 1 stevens shotgun too!

Stevens 520's are Tier 1 in my book.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bushmaster hasn't been tier one, I think, ever.  Spotty QC, marketing gimmicks.  The fact that they had a "Man Card" advertisement thing going prior to Sandy Hook shows what kind of "tier" they were trying to attract.

On the other hand, love the Kuffs avatar.  Probably one of my favorite cop movies.

And at one point it was just them, Colt and Olympic.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#19]
There are two types of commercially manufactured mil-spec guns.

1. Put together to spec, tolerances checked and chamber correctly head spaced.

2. Assembled with exact tolerences, checked for function, top grade barrel and correctly head spaced closer to minimum SAAMI spec. Some hand fitting is sometimes required for these weapons.

dc.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Red Jacket=tier 1
everything else is less
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm sure this will still catch some flak but how about a manufacturer that has won a contract to supply the government/military with a product that has gone through major testing, evaluation and analysis?

DING! DING! DING!
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first became interested in AR's, they were certainly one of the top makes. This was before boutique AR's with all the top notch parts, and better than MOA accuracy became popular. The couple Bushmasters I have owned were perfectly good to go.

I havent owned one in 10 years probably and I have "heard" they deteriorated, but imagine it is overstated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#23]
See sig line
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Red Jacket=tier 1
everything else is less

Wait a minute....    Hesse , Vulcan, Blackthorne is the choice of special forces. It said so on their www. page.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#25]
It has everything to do with the number of trips the rifle took down the driveway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Research "Aquabumping"

A true tier 1 rifle can withstand the aqua bump. There is only one way to find out which tier your rifle rates.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larue
Noveske
Daniel Defense
BCM
Colt

what about JP? Wilson combat? etc. Its a fucking stupid discussion, because 99% of users will/would be served just fine by a S&W, armalite, or a bushmaster.  Most of the tier 1 or nothing crowd are just trying to justify their purchase. I have no issue with what people buy, I would love a complete Wilson 14.5, but I can not justify spending that much on a rifle right now. If you can afford it, good for you, but dont act like a cheaper rifle wont fit the needs of most people, because it will. Shooting 200rds a year is not a high threshold to meet.

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]
No love for LWRC?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I can't believe nobody has posted the chart yet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#31]
If they don't have their own hat, I don't mess with them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#32]
The roll mark, if the roll mark lacks a horse, it's absolute shit that only guerrillas from third world shit-holes would consider using.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That makes a Bushie  the only true Tier ALPHA gun doesn't it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

WTF???  John A you have no join date??  
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone who seriously uses the term "Tier 1" possesses and extra chromosome, has probably been referred to as "Corky" on several occasions and probably can't clap their hands without stomping their feet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this will still catch some flak but how about a manufacturer that has won a contract to supply the government/military with a product that has gone through major testing, evaluation and analysis?

If contracts weren't usually won by the lowest bidder, that'd be feasible.

My father is an investigator with the DOD procurement program. Puts guys in jail for selling crap through government contracts. If you think getting a government contract makes you something special I'll let you talk to him! Like the guy that makes life jackets, his sewing machines weren't quite right and sewed holes in the bladders. What does he do, shoots a sealant like fix-a-flat in there to make it airtight. Problem is now they seal the bladders shut and they don't inflate. Problem for the poor seaman that fell in the water and drowned because his government approved contract life jacket don't work. The owner of this flea bag small time operation gets seven years for manslaughter. Just because big green uses it, don't make it all that great!
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Can we kill this fucking "tier 1" bullshit that has been made popular by a fucking VIDEO GAME???
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gun snob nomenclature.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#40]

You will know a Tier 1 rifle when you pick one up.

Swiss K-31 rifles are Tier 1.  So are K-11.  Actually any Swiss made firearm is Tier 1.

Other Tier 1 rifles are Fabrique Nation 98 Mausers, Finnish Sakos, and old Swedish Husqvarnas.

Real controlled feed Winchester Model 70s are Tier 1.

There are other Tier 1 rifles, but those a few examples.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Near as I can tell it's what I call the Fap Factor

Tier 1 )  Constant Fapping

Tier 2 ) Occasional  Fapping

Tier 3 ) Blue Balls
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I would say anything that's been in a war zone such as colt, bushmaster, knights, etc....., definitely not larue
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is what makes Tier One Tier One...

Behold:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/Patriot328/Theallknowingchartar15.jpg

All hail the chart!

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#44]
The shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMMG LPKS have commercial hammers and they put a AR15 bolt catch in my MK3.  They're good for the money but not great at any price.

what??????....this gibberish made no sense at all. A commercial hammer? WTF is that is it a standard hammer compared to an M16 hammer? and what is an Ar15 bolt catch? is it different than a M16 bolt catch?

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  A guy with the right training, mindset and experience is deadly even with a single shot .22.

a crackhead with a pocket knife can be deadly
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Tier 1? That's easy, once the number of obnoxious fanboys (Predatards for example) reaches a critical mass, then you are tier 1 and everybody else's stuff is crap and yer prolly gonna die noob if you don't spend at least 2-3 grand to be cool 'cause everybody know that duh 13'er etc. etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first became interested in AR's, they were certainly one of the top makes. This was before boutique AR's with all the top notch parts, and better than MOA accuracy became popular. The couple Bushmasters I have owned were perfectly good to go.

I havent owned one in 10 years probably and I have "heard" they deteriorated, but imagine it is overstated.

They were bought out and shutdown by Freedom Group a few years back. Same people that own Kahr, DPMS, Remington, and quite a few other companies. The bushmaster you owned is now a new company called Wyndham. Freedom Group fired them all and closed the bushmaster plant, so they started a new company and are back to making decent stuff.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
]

what??????....this gibberish made no sense at all. A commercial hammer? WTF is that is it a standard hammer compared to an M16 hammer? and what is an Ar15 bolt catch? is it different than a M16 bolt catch?

Dude, do you even shoot?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

As I've said on Arfcom before:

Tier 1 = What I own

Tier 2 = What my friends own

Tier 3 = What the rest of you own

This.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top