BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2013 11:50:59 AM EDT
Might be a dupe, could not find it posted here though;

This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun

Early next week, Wilson, a 25-year-old University of Texas law student and founder of the non-profit group Defense Distributed, plans to release the 3D-printable CAD files for a gun he calls “the Liberator

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
ERHMAHGAWD! blood in teh streets!!11!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I donated $20 to defcad
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
what's it called?  An AR-hideous
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Glock.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
How does one 3D print a spring?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Good.

Everybody should go to the defcad site and download ALL the files even if you don't have a 3D printer.

The widespread ability to make weapons at will is the most powerful tool in the defense of freedom that I can imagine.

Such a thing renders the very concept of government restrictions on the common man an archaic, obsolete, and moot point.

This is about one thing:  FREEDOM.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Does it come with the trigger already broken off?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good.

Everybody should go to the defcad site and download ALL the files even if you don't have a 3D printer.

The widespread ability to make weapons at will is the most powerful tool in the defense of freedom that I can imagine.

Such a thing renders the very concept of government restrictions on the common man an archaic, obsolete, and moot point.

CJ

You are right did not even think of that aspect!
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or a barrel?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice trigger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good.

CJ

Imagine how moot it would be if DMLS machines were in the $5k range.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a barrel?

The barrel has a very short service life.  Possibly only one round.

It would have to be rifled to legally be a handgun in the US.  I doubt rifling would survive more than one shot but I might be wrong.

The whole thing reminds me of the old "Weapons Shops of Isher" stories.

Pretty cool, if not pretty practical.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
This will be the excise to try to regulate 3D printers before they are cheap enough to be wide spread. Not mainly because of weapons but because of all, the lost tax revenue from all the stuff you wouldn't have to go buy at a store.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

CJ

Sure would make life easier for me.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Too bad they dont use the cheap 3d printers
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to donate to their website.  How do I know the sight is bona-fide?  Is this site their legit site?

Defense Distributed?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Are there any legal ramifications to downloading anything from Defcad?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
3D printing idiots drive me crazy.

Just build yourself a little work shop and reverse print yourself a slam fire 12g.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
This 3D printed gun craze is fucking hilarious. With a bit of experience and access to a cnc mill and lathe, you can actually make a functional gun
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

CJ

There's a guy out there who says he was able to make one for $3k or so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a barrel?

Read the article.  There are metal parts added.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty neat.  How does he get around the "undetectable firearms" restrictions?

Guess I should go read...
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This will be the excise to try to regulate 3D printers before they are cheap enough to be wide spread. Not mainly because of weapons but because of all, the lost tax revenue from all the stuff you wouldn't have to go buy at a store.

Staples start selling 3-D printers

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't there a federal law about a certain amount of metal being in a gun so that it will set off metal detectors, I know the libs were terrified that the Glock would be invisible or some nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just build yourself a little work shop and reverse print yourself a slam fire 12g.

You realize there are 3d printers that can print metal objects right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#29]

This 3D print gun is all bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a barrel?

The barrel has a very short service life.  Possibly only one round.It would have to be rifled to legally be a handgun in the US.  I doubt rifling would survive more than one shot but I might be wrong.

The whole thing reminds me of the old "Weapons Shops of Isher" stories.

Pretty cool, if not pretty practical.

being that the original "Liberator" pistol WAS a single shot firearm, I would guess your right
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staples start selling 3-D printers

Are these good enough to print the above? I'm to educated on 3D printing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize there are 3d printers that can print metal objects right?

You realize that they don't have the print quality to print something in a finished state right? Machining is still required
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Congressman Steve Israel is a douche.

Oh hey, look, he's from New York...
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]
they apparently put a 2 ounce chunk of metal in it to pass all federal laws about detection.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not in the US. Some of the items may not be legal to print (they mentioned having to add a six ounce chunk of steel to avoid running afoul of the Undetectable Firearms Act), but I don't think anything bad can come of just having the files.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This 3D printed gun craze is fucking hilarious. With a bit of experience and access to a cnc mill and lathe, you can actually make a functional gun

You don't seem to get where this is going. We are headed to a point where with NO experience and with equipment that virtually everyone will own within 10 years, you will be able to create your own firearms.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#37]
People need to do some research.  Many of the plastics are very strong.  They can also print ceramics and metals now.

We are not there yet, but it is going to be interesting.  The first home computers were a joke too.

Although, that gun does look like something Taurus would sell.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't seem to get where this is going. We are headed to a point where with NO experience and with equipment that virtually everyone will own within 10 years, you will be able to create your own firearms.

Let me know when they develop a 3D printable material that will hold up longer than 1 shot

ETA: The part about no experience is arguable at best. Most people can't even figure out how to not get a virus from an email
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not yet.  Even if you use those downloads to print a functioning gun, you are legal on the federal level.  This is if you don't violate the NFA of 1934.  

It is legal under federal law to manufacture your own firearm for personal use.  

State law may vary.  I am not a lawyer, and I have never even portrayed an actor on TV.  But, this is as I understand it, and I have walked the walk, as well as talked the talk.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's do-able, but their performance is much lower than metals in terms of stiffness and fatigue life.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know when they develop a 3D printable material that will hold up longer than 1 shot

I doubt it will be more than ten years. Go on dismissing the introduction of amazing new technologies though. It makes you seem so much cooler.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

True, but the skill level required goes up quite a bit
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Kind of like the skill level required between hitting 'print' and operating a CNC and lathe?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want to donate to their website.  How do I know the sight is bona-fide?  Is this site their legit site?

Defense Distributed?

That is the site I have been following for weeks now.  Seems legit to me.

If you read the forum, you will quickly realize it is much like our forum here.  Some good information, buried deep within a pile of taurine excrement.

It seems they are mostly computer guys, not gun guys.  I do give them credit for trying, however.

My new sig line may be, "The right to print weapons is the right to be free", with apologies to A. E. van Vogt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#47]

ETA: The part about no experience is arguable at best. Most people can't even figure out how to not get a virus from an email [/quote]
it may be only one shot that is needed
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Kind of like the skill level required between hitting 'print' and operating a CNC and lathe?

Assuming someone put the required mastercam/other cnc program file on the internet, it'd be similar...
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: The part about no experience is arguable at best. Most people can't even figure out how to not get a virus from an email

They already have lowers that are very durable and hold up to full auto 5.56.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

it may be only one shot that is needed
[/quote]

Well if that's what you're going for you can buy some pipe, a rubber band, and a nail and save some money over a 3D printer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top