BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The app that I wrote is now showing 4 different calibers in stock at my local Walmart.  That would highly suggest that the system is being updated as the trucks are being unloaded at night.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The app that I wrote is now showing 4 different calibers in stock at my local Walmart.  That would highly suggest that the system is being updated as the trucks are being unloaded at night.  

I've seen a couple change too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
same here. 223 in stock in my area!
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just remember...

I get "something" for sparking the brilliance!
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
After going to bed around 3am I managed to drag myself to Walmart by 7am.  Before going I ran my report again to see if the numbers had changed.  I was showing 4 calibers in stock last night but only 3 this morning.  I'm not sure what disappeared.  When I got there six others were already waiting in line. Around 7:15 they rolled a cart up with all the ammo and laid it out on the counter.  The clerks knew several of the old timers by name.

The good news is the ammo on my report was there and lots of it.  They were showing 9mm and probably had 2,000 rounds of it.  That tells me that in the afternoons and evenings when you see new entries showing up as in stock they are on a truck being delivered and probably won't be available until the next morning unless you can get someone willing to look in the back for you.

What is also interesting is that ammo which didn't show up on the report was available.  Two examples are Federal 357 and Federal 45 in 50 round boxes.  I have searched all over Walmart's website and the ammo is not listed anywhere.  Walmarts internal product IDs are also different the SKU that appears on the box.

If anyone wants to see if they can find Federal 45 Auto 230 grain FMJ RN with SKU 029465062965 on Walmart's site I would appreciate it.  Either I missed it or it is a new SKU that hasn't been added to their site.  

In the last 12 hours based on my app I've been able to purchase 2x100 round boxes of .40, a 325 box of .22, 2x50 boxes of 357 magnum, and 50 round box of 45.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WOW just WOW!

I know right??? there's a lot of fucking Walmarts in Lexington...
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Taggity
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the iPad app better as you search for "ammunition" and it comes up with all types.  Select one and when you select find nearby a small map pops up.  It is easier to determine which Walmart has ammo compared to reading the info on an iphone.   You can then scroll right to the next product and I can search most of what I want within a minute or two.

One thing I did notice the last few days... 22lr has finally been seen in stock and I haven't seen that in awhile.

Btw,  where is the link to that app.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
considering that any given wally world location is out of stock within 30 min or less after receiving a shipment, any sort of notification is pointless.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Tagged for info
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
considering that any given wally world location is out of stock within 30 min or less after receiving a shipment, any sort of notification is pointless.

False.

The ammo shows in stock inventory when the truck is scanned into the dock.  NO Wal-Mart can empty the truck and stock shelves in 30 minutes.  The fastest Wal-Mart around here can put it out in about 2 hours post truck arrival.  Most of the time ammo comes off the truck and sits on a pallet in the back, or goes in a "high value cage" and is locked up in the back until a sporting goods person goes back to retrieve it.

Any notification of a change from out of stock to in stock would give plenty of time to arrive at the store and request they go in the back to get your ammo.... if they are willing.  Half my stores wont, and stock ammo either randomly overnight, or bring it out on the 7am shift.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Got up this morning, ran the app, and it showed 9 mm in stock at my local store. Walking in, I checked the app, still showed in stock and there were in fact 3 boxes left on the shelf.  Bought the 3 boxes and while walking to my car I ran the app and it showed out of stock. Seemed to work well for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I use it and it does work some times.......
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Sporting goods manager told me that those apps take up to 48 hours to update. the only way to get ammo there is to be in line at 7 am.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sporting goods manager told me that those apps take up to 48 hours to update. the only way to get ammo there is to be in line at 7 am.

That is not true at all.  I verified that it is working close to real time between last night and this morning.  Items show up as In Stock when they are unloaded from the truck.  Unloaded from the truck doesn't mean in the display case or available though.  Then as items are sold they change to Out of Stock.  

You still need to get there at 7am if you want to get ammo though because it sells out quick.  At least with the app that I am working on it shows you which stores will have what calibers so you know which store to be at by 7am.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
The unloaders usually start unloading the trucks about 4pm. When the assistant manager "finalizes" the invoice for the truck, that is when the inventory numbers will change. It may very well be unloaded at 4, but it is up to each individual store on how and when that merchandise is brought to the floor. In many cases ammo is being secured in the back along with other high ticket merchandise such as laptops. In those cases it is usually held until first thing in the morning to be stocked. If the store receives 2 or 3 trucks, there is no telling which order they will be unloaded or when the invoice for that truck would be unloaded.

If your local store has a designated stocker for sporting goods, it may be brought out in the evening after the truck is unloaded.

Sometimes the assistant manager forgets to finalize the truck invoice until the next morning..... in which case the inventory won't update until then. I have even had managers forget to finalize the trucks for 2 or 3 days, when it is caught by the invoice associate it is then finalized. But the merchandise would have already been stocked days prior to the system even knowing it was in the store. As far as the inventory system knew it was still on the truck in transit.

Anything online will just be a general guide. For the less desirable merchandise it will pretty accurate. But for high volume desirable merchandise it will all depend on how well that store operates.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have gotten a lot of ammo by using the app to see stock, and then going to the store and having an employee look up the product code in their telxon hand scanner.  If app says in stock the store always has a quantity listed as "on hand".  You then have to be polite and get the employee to check in back for it because it is almost never on the shelf.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#20]
NEVER listen to ANYTHING told to you by ANY WalMart employee.

They don't know shit about inventory, their apps, nothing.  Just tell them to go get your damned ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have gotten a lot of ammo by using the app to see stock, and then going to the store and having an employee look up the product code in their telxon hand scanner.  If app says in stock the store always has a quantity listed as "on hand".  You then have to be polite and get the employee to check in back for it because it is almost never on the shelf.

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I have seen this app work and not work.
First time I used it was showing Winchester 5.56 in stock. Went in store yes. I bought 3 boxes called my brother who had no AR ammo. Him and his wife bought the last 6 boxes and they called me, I checked the app it went to limited availability and maybe 15 minutes later out of stock.
Yesterday I went to three walmarts one showed limited availability on 45 acp and out of stock 380. They had both. Another one I stopped in on my way home had ten boxes of 45 acp and showed it out of stock on the app. It had been there all day and this was about 7 in the evening.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#23]
All the walmarts with in stock or limited stock ammo of my watch-list calibers now say out of stock.

Link Posted: 5/3/2013 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
A note to the handful of people I gave access to beta test my app.  The web server that the application is hosted on seems to be having issue and not displaying the page sometimes.  Keep trying and eventually it will show up.  I have a ticket in with the hosting company to look into it.

Also I will be changing the code required to access the page.  Shoot me an IM to get an updated code.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I used the basic Walmart app to buy my first 3 boxes of ammo this year.

I'm pretty interested in SWIRE's improved app when it comes out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Swire, I just noticed the Walmart android app has a barcode scanner.  I scanned my box of IMI 556 and got a product page for it even though I didn't get a result when just searching.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I wrote mine in vb.net, using the web browser control, a few weeks back. Works very well, checks items every 10 minutes, and sends me text message when an item I've selected goes back in stock.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Swire, I just noticed the Walmart android app has a barcode scanner.  I scanned my box of IMI 556 and got a product page for it even though I didn't get a result when just searching.

Thanks for the tip.  It found the Federal ammo I bought that wasn't showing up on the site either.  Unfortunately the Android app doesn't show the product number.  There should be a way for me to get that though.  It requires routing my Android device through a proxy on my computer and logging all the network traffic.  The Kentucky Derby is today so I won't be able to get around to it today.

If I can figure out how to pull data from their Android app I will be able to pull prices too.  Anyone that has developed for Android and knows JSON want to help with the project?

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Kentucky Derby is today so I won't be able to get around to it today.

The race is around two minutes.   That takes up the entire day?

Or are you there looking at all the southern women dressed up looking awesome?  Come to think of it,maybe I will see if it (the people attending) is being televised.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I will be changing the code required for the application to work tonight.  So anyone that wants to continue testing will need to IM me today to get a new code.

In the mean time I will post the URL of my application so that everyone here can hit it today.  This is a beta app, the server seems to have issues, the app takes at least 30 seconds to load the results.  More often then not the app simply does not display due to the server issues.  You will have to hit refresh and try it several times if it does not load.

IM me to get a code to enter.  Do not try to crack a code that works.  I can tell and your IP will be blocked.

This is a beta app that I threw together in a few hours one evening.  It isn't some polished version of a tested app. So there may be bugs and things might not work.  That's how beta apps go.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Kentucky Derby is today so I won't be able to get around to it today.

The race is around two minutes.   That takes up the entire day?

Or are you there looking at all the southern women dressed up looking awesome?  Come to think of it,maybe I will see if it (the people attending) is being televised.  

The actual horse race takes just over 2 minutes. But it is all day celebration here.  At least for the people that need an excuse to get together, have great food, drink, and gamble.  
 I'm making the most of the day.  Not really dressing up this year, just going to a party of around 30 people for some great food.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Well that didn't take long.  Already see that 2 people have hit the URL.

Feel free to post your comments on if you got results or how many times you had hit refresh to get the results to show up.  My hosting company claims they can't reproduce the error.  Of course they only tried it 4 times yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#34]
SWIRE, thanks for developing one that I can use without a smart phone.  I am one of the 17 people in the USA who does not have a smart phone.

I have tried it.  Two-three times with some response I do not recall.  Next four times with an error that I will send in a private message.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I had to refresh once for it to show

The display results are nice

Putting the results in table form would be good too
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah thanks for that and all but I gotta go sudden business in Kentucky...

Welcome to Kentucky, now git! No dogs shoes or buckeyes allowed. !

Fixt!

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garbage in, garbage out. The app can only be as good as the info walmart provides, and their online stock info sucks.

Walmart has the state of the art inventory tracking system. Their system knows how long each product sits where it is before it moves or sells. When it sells, pictures are taken. They track everything all the time. The info from Walmart is correct. The $8hr employee on the other hand..........

I have a hard time believing this. I have worked in big time retail, and inventory is always fucked up. The Walmart app has absolutely NEVER been right for me, running both ways, showing things in stock that are not, but also not showing things in stock that actually are.

How long have you been a walmart employee?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What type of table layout would you like?  Something like a cross check table, stores vertically with caliber horizontal and check boxes?  Or something like stores in a horizontal row by caliber?  Or something else?

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What type of table layout would you like?  Something like a cross check table, stores vertically with caliber horizontal and check boxes?  Or something like stores in a horizontal row by caliber?  Or something else?  

Maybe calibers as the columns, stores as the rows, and the cells can just say "in stock" "limited stock" or "out of stock"
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not true at all.  I verified that it is working close to real time between last night and this morning.  Items show up as In Stock when they are unloaded from the truck.  Unloaded from the truck doesn't mean in the display case or available though.  Then as items are sold they change to Out of Stock.    

You still need to get there at 7am if you want to get ammo though because it sells out quick.  At least with the app that I am working on it shows you which stores will have what calibers so you know which store to be at by 7am.
I have been using the app on a Razr and found some 9mm in stock, I went in and bought it and checked the Walmart app again before I left the parking lot and it had updated to "out of stock" already.   In 5 minutes it had updated so I think at least in northern TX the app is working pretty well in Android.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garbage in, garbage out. The app can only be as good as the info walmart provides, and their online stock info sucks.

Walmart has the state of the art inventory tracking system. Their system knows how long each product sits where it is before it moves or sells. When it sells, pictures are taken. They track everything all the time. The info from Walmart is correct. The $8hr employee on the other hand..........

I have a hard time believing this. I have worked in big time retail, and inventory is always fucked up. The Walmart app has absolutely NEVER been right for me, running both ways, showing things in stock that are not, but also not showing things in stock that actually are.

How long have you been a walmart employee?

Never worked for Walmart, just another nation retail chain, so I can't speak to the accuracy of Walmart's system directly, but retail is retail for the most part, and inventory being fucked up seems to be a universal part of life in the retail world.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#42]
App Update:

The previous code given no longer works.  If you would like to keep using the app you will have to IM me for a new code.

Also I'm going to be tearing into the code today and doing a lot of debugging to see if I can't figure out how to resolve the issue of the page not loading.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Anyone that has developed for Android and knows JSON want to help with the project?

I'll repeat this call for help.  I think it is possible to crack the Android app which would would be a game changer if I could that.  That data is more up to date, price data is included and I would be able to create a list of stores, check their inventory every so often, store that in a database, and then generate a report very quickly.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Just dropped by a Walmart I used to go to all the time a couple years back but haven't been to in over a year.  I'm on good terms with the sporting goods manager and the first words out of his mouth when he saw me was, "Nope, don't have anything!"

Then he asked ME where all the ammo was.  Said their supply was spotty at best.  Only occasional shipments of ammo in limited quantity that was immediately snapped up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Just dropped by a Walmart I used to go to all the time a couple years back but haven't been to in over a year.  I'm on good terms with the sporting goods manager and the first words out of his mouth when he saw me was, "Nope, don't have anything!"

Then he asked ME where all the ammo was.  Said their supply was spotty at best.  Only occasional shipments of ammo in limited quantity that was immediately snapped up.

That is what my app is showing.  For my local store items started showing up on my app Thursday evening and they were at the store 7am Friday.  Less than 2 hours later the items disappeared off my app and it hasn't shown that any more ammo has come in.  So 1 delivery in the last 4 days it all was sold within 2 hours.

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#46]
*APP UPDATE*

I have made several changes to my code and I hope I have the issue with the page not displaying resolved.  The app no longer uses the URL to read the zip and code.  So you will need to go directly to the form, enter it, and click the button.

If anyone still experiences the page not displaying anything let me know either here or through IM.  

Also the issue appears to be an issue in the latest version of the web browsers.  In the older versions they would let a page try to load for up to 5 minutes before the browser closed the connection.  Now it sounds like the browsers only wait 20 to 30 seconds and then close the connection to the server.  That seems to be the issue here.  Some browsers will let you go in and configure the timeout.  If you know how to do this you might want to check it and change it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#47]
BTW, several stores near me have started showing ammo as "In Stock".  Meaning they got it delivered last night and it will be available at 7am.  So you might want to run the app to see what is going to be coming to your area tomorrow morning.

Multiple stores are showing .22 in stock for tomorrow morning!
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone that has developed for Android and knows JSON want to help with the project?

I'll repeat this call for help.  I think it is possible to crack the Android app which would would be a game changer if I could that.  That data is more up to date, price data is included and I would be able to create a list of stores, check their inventory every so often, store that in a database, and then generate a report very quickly.  

I'm a C# dev who speaks JSON as a second language.  I'm not an android user, but if there is an iPhone version of whatever app you speak of, I could probably intercept its service calls and get what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow the SWIRE app is showing three area walmarts have limited stock of the 5.56 420 round ammo cans Wish I didn't have to work at 6 am, I'd go on a mission to track some down.  Those are worth the effort and risk haha
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a C# dev who speaks JSON as a second language.  I'm not an android user, but if there is an iPhone version of whatever app you speak of, I could probably intercept its service calls and get what you're looking for.

I've intercepted the calls.  I just need to figure out how to manipulate the requests and send my own requests to their server.  I've got a good start on it, considering I have no clue what I am doing.  The first attempted request I sent in returned the message of 0 which means it failed.  Why it failed I have no idea.  There are cookie values and such that might need to be sent with it.

Syntax wise does this look correct?

JSONTest = function () {
       var sendInfo = { p1: '', p2: '2089220195', p3: '571', p4: '', p5: '', p6: '', p7: '', p8: '', p9: ''  };

$.ajax({
           url: "https://mobile.walmart.com/m/j?e=1&service=Slap&method=get",
           type: "POST",
           data: JSON.stringify(sendInfo),
           dataType: "json",
           success: function (result) {
               $('#txtArea1').text(result);
           },
           error: function (xhr, ajaxOptions, thrownError) {
               alert(xhr.status);
               alert(thrownError);
           }
       });
   };

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top