Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2013 8:51:32 PM EDT
I was screwing around trying to verify a tidbit of information when I came across a post from a guy who said Coors was a regional beer until the 1980's, and they owe some thanks to the film Smokey and the Bandit (1977) for achieving national awareness and thus, eventual nationwide distribution.

I don't know what the poster means by "regional," but I remember seeing Coors for sale in Southern California as a kid in the late 1960's.

That kind of disproves his post, correct? Unless, SoCal is part of the region he mentions...

Has anyone seen Coors for sale in the Midwest, South or East Coast prior to the 1980's?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was screwing around trying to verify a tidbit of information when I came across a post from a guy who said Coors was a regional beer until the 1980's, and they owe some thanks to the film Smokey and the Bandit (1977) for achieving national awareness and thus, eventual nationwide distribution.

I don't know what the poster means by "regional," but I remember seeing Coors for sale in Southern California as a kid in the late 1960's.

That kind of disproves his post, correct? Unless, SoCal is part of the region he mentions...

Has anyone seen Coors for sale in the Midwest, South or East Coast prior to the 1980's?

Before 1978 I can't Recall it being available in the South--La, MS,AL, etc.--When we drove out West in 1978 It was a Treat to get and Drink Coors.
Not that it was that great.

ETA: Regional would include Ca, NM, Az, NV, etc

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before 1978 I can't Recall it being available in the South--La, MS,AL, etc.--When we drove out West in 1978 It was a Treat to get and Drink Coors.

Coors was unpasteurized, had to be shipped refrigerated, and generally wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi.

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coors was unpasteurized, had to be shipped refrigerated, and generally wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi.

To do so would have been considered bootlegging.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It wasn't available in Texas until the late 70's.

The alcohol content was too high to be considered "beer" in Texas at the time. I was a kid then, so that may be faulty, although I had an Aunt and Uncle who'd been stationed in NM and developed a love for Coors. When they got back home and couldn't get it here they'd make an occasional run to Louisiana and pack the Vista Cruiser with cases.

Jenny and John loved Coors Beer..
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine who was from Tennessee and living in Colorado loaded up on cases of Coors before he went back home.

This was 1980 and he told me he could get premium price for it back then because Coors wasn't sold past the mason Dixon line at that time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember my dad drinking it all the time in the late 70s and early 80s here in Kansas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Not available in Minnesota in the 1970s.  When my Dad travelled to Colorado for business he'd fly back with a 6-pack of Coors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't sold up here in the east until the 80's. Some people who traveled out west would bring some back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
In 1982 in MI is was not available.  My dad started drinking Stroh's then.  I would say mid to late 80's  it arrived in MI.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought the first 10 cases available in DC in 1982, IIRC.  It wasn't available 'til then.  The regional distributors were allowed to only sell it to those businesses that had a way to store it cold.  It was delivered in a refrigerated truck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not True..Coors is unpasteurized but it does not have to be refrigerated. Pasteurization in beer only kills live yeast cells. Coors filters those out with a series of screens.

The worst enemies of beer are heat, light and age. Coors brews their beer cold and tries to ensure that until it gets to your table. It is a marketing concept that ensures you get the best tasting beer. There is a pull date stamped on the can and the packaging, buy your beer as far away from the pull date to ensure fresh beer.

To answer the OP's question, we introduced Coors light in Iowa in 1981 so '78 seems about right.

Prior to that production kept them from shipping outside the seven Western states...

Oh and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, I worked for Coors!!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Mid 80s in New York IIRC.

My dad used to make it a point to "smuggle" a case or two back from when we would visit the west coast.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
AB had Congress prohibit shipments of Coors east of the Mississippi because that was their territory.  That eased up after Smokey and the Bandit.

Adolphus Coors committed suicide by jumping out of a top floor window of the historic Cavalier hotel in Virginia Beach back in the early 1900s.  I believe that one is true.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Coors is now being ran in Milwaukee.

I doubt they are shipping in Rocky Mountain water to make it.

So, it isn't as cold as the Rockies anymore.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
April 1st 1987 was the first time it was available "legally" east of the Mississippi (well at least in NY).  

We had a mother "F"ing huge Coors party that first day we were able to buy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Right around Smokey and the Bandit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad used to run it from el paso to Houston in the 70s. He said he would fill the car with coors and tortillas, and party off the profits.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought the first 10 cases available in DC in 1982, IIRC.  It wasn't available 'til then.  The regional distributors were allowed to only sell it to those businesses that had a way to store it cold.  It was delivered in a refrigerated truck.

Vividly remember it coming to southern VA in early 80's.  It was like the forbidden fruit, and fortunately there were quite a few country stores where someone underage could purchase.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My family had a reunion in Estes Park, CO in 1974.  My cousin from New Jersey, who was 16, managed to buy two cases of Coors.  He hid them in the trunk of his parents' car to smuggle them home, where he could get $2 per can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]
1986 is the often quoted year they went national, although 1987 is when the products actually were available nationwide.

They started expanding east of the Mississippi in 1981.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Beer flavored water in a container that turns blue to remind you that it still tastes like shit when cold.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure only the "Banquet" beer is reserved to being brewed in Colorado only.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A friend of mine who was from Tennessee and living in Colorado loaded up on cases of Coors before he went back home.

This was 1980 and he told me he could get premium price for it back then because Coors wasn't sold past the mason Dixon line at that time.

The Mason Dixon line runs primarily east-west, not north-south, and more or less approximates the current southern boundary of Pennsylvania and the western boundary of Delaware.

Coors was brewed in Colorado.  The M-D line would not have any geographic bearing on where it might be shipped.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#24]
My first legal beer was a Coors in Maryland, in 1976.  If I recall correctly it was just being distributed to that state around that time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure only the "Banquet" beer is reserved to being brewed in Colorado only.

That could be very well true.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't remember it being available in St. Louis before I moved away in '80. Never looked for it though. It never did anything for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes.  We had it in Iowa before then.  I'd laugh when I'd see it stacked to the ceiling right in the isle.  Coors always stated they shipped it cold, until it got to Iowa.  Then it was stored piss warm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I remember my dad drinking it all the time in the late 70s and early 80s here in Kansas.

My Mom's family is from Kansas and that is all i remember them drinking in the late 70's, early 80's.  It was about the only time my Mom drank beer, when we went there for vacation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#29]
when Smokey and the Bandit was released.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#30]
this thread makes me want to listen to the theme song for smokey and the bandit

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I grew up in west Texas and I remember Coors yellow bellies in the seventies...
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Not my pic.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread needs more Jerry Reed.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This thread needs more Jerry Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

Was just gonna say this..
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I came to Texas/Houston in the fall of 1972. The closest that Coors was sold to Houston was College Station (Texas A&M). A buddy and I used to go to Dallas or College Station and bring back 50 cases at a whack.  We would sell 40 to others and the remaining 10 was for us to drink for free after expenses.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#36]
The goddamn Germans got nothing to do with it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Coors also offered that retarded push-tab can in the 70's Remember that? They were hit with lawsuits left and right after that one.

Can you imagine how stupid that was to offer on a beer can? Alcohol screws up your hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and thins your blood to boot. That's a recipe for bloodletting if I ever heard one.

Related thread
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Beer flavored water in a container that turns blue to remind you that it still tastes like shit when cold.

That's Coors Light, which is indeed shit.

the Banquet Beer is entirely different. For a regular ol' beer it's actually very good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't remember when exactly it became available. What I do remember is that I didn't like it very much, along with a couple of other similar tasting brands which I believe were Strohs and Keystone. Even rotten ass Budweiser was preferable to that stuff. I had one friend that used that to his advantage. Whenever he'd throw a party, he always kept plenty of Coors in the cooler for himself and provided other brands for his guests. He always had all the beer he ever wanted because everyone else would generally just stop drinking when the only thing left was Coors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#40]
When I moved from NY to CA in 1980 it was the first time I tried it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
It was pretty much a Colorado to west coast beer up until the late 70's.  It's gimmick was that it had to be shipped cold from the brewer and they couldn't insure that much further from Colorado.

When I was flying, in the Navy, we would almost always have a couple of cases return with us to the east coast.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Coors also offered that retarded push-tab can in the 70's Remember that? They were hit with lawsuits left and right after that one.

Can you imagine how stupid that was to offer on a beer can? Alcohol screws up your hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and thins your blood to boot. That's a recipe for bloodletting if I ever heard one.

Related thread

I remember that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I used to ride along in the truck to make Coors runs as a teenager to Kansas from southern Ohio in the 70's...
Some old guys would "borrow" a box truck from their employer for the weekend. Run to the distributor and back...
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I love me some
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Related thread

I still have scars on both thumbs from those bastard cans.

BTW:  Coors does not taste the same as it did in the 70's. Slight changes have been made over the years and it's just not the same.

Body by Coors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top