Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
A nest can easily stretch out 4-5+ houses down so it's just not in your yard you have to worry about. You should call a pro to come an exterminate them they can tell you about how big the nest is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Gasoline + Match = Success
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Gas, styrofoam, and fire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Black ants or big ass carpenter ants, the ones with the large mandibles/jaws?

I haven't found an ant hill that has survived AMDRO ant bait. It is like fucking ant crack. It will not hurt people, pets, etc. As soon as it gets wet it is neutralized, so turn your irrigation off for a day or so when you spread it.  

Spring a nice ring about 2 feet away from the center of the hill, all the way around it.  the reality is though, I have had ants from my front yard trek all the way to the backyard to get this shit.  It isn't cheap, but keep it dry and it lasts forever. 1/2 cup or so I bet will eliminate that colony.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Grits. They eat it and then splode when it expands.

THIS!
Or, hope you have a hill of red ants nearby, get a shovel full of red ants, apply to the black ants, and watch them fight it out!
Was fun when I was a kid, about 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Liquid nitrogen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The ranch I used to work on had ants everywhere that would tear your ass up if you weren't careful. I never thought much of them, and got out to open up the gate one day while riding around with the boss and he watched me do a pretty profane dance. After he laughed, he told me about how they always used borax soap on ant hills. From then on out I always kept a couple boxes of the stuff behind the seat of the truck. Every ant hill I saw got the borax treatment, and I'll be damned if it didn't work!
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boiling water

tried a turkey fryer pot full and it didnt work

is it something you need to do every day for a week or something?  I only did it once and they went away for a while

You need more than that.  

Pour a few gallons of boiling water down it, and wait a few hours.  You will see the living start to drag the dead out and pile them up outside the mound.  When they are doing that, start pouring more boiling water on the hill.  Rinse and repeat.

After a while, you will need to break up the soil, and continue to pour boiling water down the hole.  You will know when you are done.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Nooooo this http://www.rodenator.com/

explosions kick ass
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a mound of nasty little red ones a few years back. Tried the gasoline deal and they disappeared completely shortly thereafter, but i have suspicions that they merely relocated as they were obliterating a colony of black ones and stealing all their eggs shortly before and during the burning.
Gasoline works well for in-ground wasp nests.
I use Terror baits for indoor operations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!
Or, hope you have a hill of red ants nearby, get a shovel full of red ants, apply to the black ants, and watch them fight it out!

Give this a shot I'm telling you it works I've done it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A little spritz of diluted Chloridane will wipe them out permanently.

If you know where I can get some, tell me. i am on my last bottle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]

How come anteaters never get sick???

They're full of ant-i-bodies.

Get it?  Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck

As for the ant mounds, I used to dig those fucking things up with a shovel, douse with copious amounts of gasoline, and light them up.  That was out in the country, though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
As a kid I used kerosene on ant mounds. Dumped about a gallon on it, let it soak in for about 30 minutes, then lit it. If it was a deep nest it would burn for quite a while.  wouldn't mind the CO2 trick. Pick up some dry ice at the store, dig a hole in the nest and drop it in. As it melts, the CO2 will go down into the nest. Should work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#18]
dont listen to these pansies, pour a quart of gas down that hole wait about 5 minutes then light it useing a torch tied to a 20 foot long pole.

You want a long pole because there isnt just the one main hole, there are a bunch of others that you cant see, and fire will come out of all of them.

I know this, you see, from experiance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Fire.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
bleach. pour and watch the fun
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive had good results with a half stick of dynamite
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Put up a sign the says "NO ANTS" and threaten to sue them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#24]
You never really get rid of ants, you just have to keep fighting them back. They just pop up further out in the yard or in your neighbors yard. I avoid poisons, fertilizers and chemicals whenever possible. I use diatomaceous earth or DE from the feed store. (Not the swimming pool stuff.)

When it's dry, I stir the mound with a stick, then liberally sprinkle some DE on the mound. A couple days later, stir and sprinkle some more DE on the mound. Repeat as necessary. Within a fews days you won't see any more ants.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was a kid in Colorado, we had billions of red ant mounds -- the big vicious red ants. I would stir an ant mound with the stick of a pop bottle rocket to get them all riled up, then plant the bottle rocket in the ground, wait for about 50 ants to lock their mandibles into the rocket, then I would launch them into orbit.

Those that survived their space mission had a long walk home. Eventually they had their revenge on me. What goes around, comes around, and sometimes with formic acid.

Whatever you do to fight your ants, don't use a pressure cooker...
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS!

Give this a shot I'm telling you it works I've done it.

When we all have to serve our ant overlords, I'm blaming people like you for the race of super ants you helped create.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Diatomaceous earth is amazing against crawling insects.

I was even able to defeat a bed bug infestation in my sister's apartment, which had been fumigated in the past with poor results.

It's inert (but don't inhale it, it's crystalline silica), but it tears down the waxy cuticle on their exoskeletons and induces dessication. A horrifying death.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Bayer markets a granular bait that has worked well for us, pick up at most home centers.
A bit more 'pc' than  borax- that makes me nervous around the dags.  
Only the largest of hills needed more than one dose, and one bag ( about 2# ?) goes a long way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Amdro granules
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
terro liquid ant baits, just leave them out near the mound and keep giving them more as they eat it up. Soon, you will notice they are no longer eating the baits as fast, then they will all be gone.

Used that stuff for years, works great!
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Capture the queen, and mate with her.  Eventually your offspring will take over the hive, and you'll be their king.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#32]
you have no idea what down there do you?

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you have access to a bottle of acetylene?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Any one of the above should work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Find out exactly what ant you have

Find what the habits are of said ant

Some ants will take gel bait all year and then some wont touch it, But they will ravage my dry bait....

Or use a combo of different baits and non repellant spray. Don't bother with home made crap it will never work the way you want it to..

OR just call a pro they are not that much money
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#37]
ALL THE ABOVE AT ONCE.
Mix up a big batch of very watery plaster of paris.  Pour it in until the mound is FULL.

There won't be many survivors.

Now have a tree transplanting company come with their tree excavator shovel,  pull the whole damned core out of your yard,

dose the hole but GOOD with all the good chemicals that kill any stragglers,  and then have new dirt hauled in.  Apply sod and

have a nice summer!

CJ
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Urine.....look it up....it works.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Five gallons of diesel, a gallon of gas to set it off.

Light it with tracer fire, at least .30 caliber.

Take video and post it on ARFCOM!!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Boiling water

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top