BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 60
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
for the old timers.  it's that 70's UP ad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey ARinKCMO, have you ever maintained a WILD detector?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey ARinKCMO, have you ever maintained a WILD detector?
View Quote

Nope.  Just dragging equipment and hot box styles.  Whatcha need?  I can ask around in the office and/or pull up some prints and test procedures for ya.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's covered in my S&P manual. I was just wondering how finicky/troublesome they are? It's about time for me to make a move again and a prospective territory has one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try to do some digging for you.  

From pics, they look like a string of transducers, maybe?  Just like the ones I'm used to (axle counters).  They're fairly easy to troubleshoot if so, you can check their resistance, and the computer will pretty much tell you which one is giving trouble.  Then, you just swap it out with a new one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll try to do some digging for you.  

From pics, they look like a string of transducers, maybe?  Just like the ones I'm used to (axle counters).  They're fairly easy to troubleshoot if so, you can check their resistance, and the computer will pretty much tell you which one is giving trouble.  Then, you just swap it out with a new one.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Huge update!

I figured out how to tie my boots.  Finally.  Thanks for the pointers fellas.  Y'all are amazing.

(aka I went to Red Wing and got this year's new pair of boots recently.  I went with a lace-up version, aka the ones I bought two years ago.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That reminds me that I have a boot voucher I need to use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you even Red Wing, bro?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have Red Wings older than some of my newest co-workers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]

I've been in deeper as a passanger. And it was flowing. And actively washing out the ballast.

After a bit of rolling through the water the engineer stopped for a while. Then dispatch sent the train back to the nearest station so we got to back over the part that was washing out.

Happily it was before it got this bad: http://news.fredericksburg.com/transportation/2011/09/21/photo-shows-railroad-track-washout-that-helped-lead-to-vre-shutdown/ But for a bit we got to watch the rocks flowin' away next to the car I was in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]

As the official 'Worst Digger on the Kansas Division', that pic makes my body hurt.  A lot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish CSX still provided Red Wings.  It was a sad, sad day when that word got out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Huge update!

I figured out how to tie my boots
.  Finally.  Thanks for the pointers fellas.  Y'all are amazing.

(aka I went to Red Wing and got this year's new pair of boots recently.  I went with a lace-up version, aka the ones I bought two years ago.)
View Quote

Good job!

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Sweet jesus.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Jesus.

View All Quotes
12 new traction motors.....good as new.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never let a year go by..
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I have no idea how your radio channels work.  On our mainline we have three different channels that you have to switch to depending on the location.  We always have channel 4 on to talk to anybody within range.  The dispatcher can only hear that channel 4 in the yard where the dispatch tower is.  We also have one more channel for the yard so the dispatcher doesn't have to listen to us.  We run with the loco radio on the mainline channel and a handheld on the local area channel.  Is that how you guys do it?

FWIW  For car counts we use 5-3-1 with the engineer repeating that.  For coupling the engineer doesn't repeat anything after 1 car.  We use 1/2 car 20-10-5-far enough.  We started using "set and centered" a couple years ago.  We use hand signals as much as possible.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#23]

What the hell happened there?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have no idea how your radio channels work.  On our mainline we have three different channels that you have to switch to depending on the location.  We always have channel 4 on to talk to anybody within range.  The dispatcher can only hear that channel 4 in the yard where the dispatch tower is.  We also have one more channel for the yard so the dispatcher doesn't have to listen to us.  We run with the loco radio on the mainline channel and a handheld on the local area channel.  Is that how you guys do it?

FWIW  For car counts we use 5-3-1 with the engineer repeating that.  For coupling the engineer doesn't repeat anything after 1 car.  We use 1/2 car 20-10-5-far enough.  We started using "set and centered" a couple years ago.  We use hand signals as much as possible.

View Quote

I usually hold the button down and talk. Then when I'm done talking, I let go of the button. That's how our radios work.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Ours work just like that too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I usually hold the button down and talk. Then when I'm done talking, I let go of the button. That's how our radios work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For couplings I'll leave the mic keyed & when they connect I'll give 'em a "That'll do." Engineers love that

Sounds like: "1 to a couple"....."Half a Car"......20 Feet.......................*POW*........"That'll Do".
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Speaking of all this. I need Engineers opinions.

I'm the customer on the other end of the radio spotting the first 6 cars through our rotary dumper. I been doing it about 7 years now and I realize they don't have to be spotted up Exactly, we got about a foot in either direction.

So assuming you brought my coal train in (125 cars, usually 16000 Tons of coal in Aluminum cars, and mostly a single engine on the lead and one D.P. Unit on the tail)

And I call you Ahead one car..........Half Car........10 feet.......3 feet.......That'll Do!.

Is that good enough for most experienced engineers for spotting cars on the table? Or should I be doing something else to help you guys out?

Thanks!

Ruckus
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm the customer on the other end of the radio spotting the first 6 cars through our rotary dumper. I been doing it about 7 years now and I realize they don't have to be spotted up Exactly, we got about a foot in either direction.

So assuming you brought my coal train in (125 cars, usually 16000 Tons of coal in Aluminum cars, and mostly a single engine on the lead and one D.P. Unit on the tail)

And I call you Ahead one car..........Half Car........10 feet.......3 feet.......That'll Do!.

Is that good enough for most experienced engineers for spotting cars on the table? Or should I be doing something else to help you guys out?

Thanks!

Ruckus
View Quote

About how I would do it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Ruckus

About how I would do it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Railroad/RobertsBank02.jpg

The rotary dumps just always seemed so innefecient to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know much about unloading coal through a bottom gate. Is it quicker?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know much about unloading coal through a bottom gate. Is it quicker?
View Quote

The way the plant down here unloads the belly dump cars it takes about 3.5 hours if everything goes smooth. But it's one continuous move at about .40mph. So the engineer doesn't have to stop every car. But of the silos are full and they dump it in the ditch, you can empty a 135 car train in about 30 minutes. That's if the doziers can keep up.
Even at the slow 3.5 hour rate, during peak season they'll unload 4 135 car trains in a 24 hour period. And beg for more.

It's sister plant over in Georgia is very quick. They unload every train in the ditch. And is a 30 minute job every time.

I couldn't find a clip of them unloading in the ditch at speed. But this speed in this clip is what will take about 3.5 hours.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes I forget to let go of the button and mumble shit to myself that shouldn't be on the radio.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sometimes I forget to let go of the button and mumble shit to myself that shouldn't be on the radio.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes I do it on purpose, because why not? No one knows where it came from.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys at work showed me this today. I had to laugh, but some poor bastard will be having a fun call out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthq4WqBo0o
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guys at work showed me this today. I had to laugh, but some poor bastard will be having a fun call out.
View Quote

Shouldn't that steam engine crap be on the head end?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No idea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea?

No for a couple of reasons.

To protect the crew and locomotives in case of load failure.  Those cars on both sides of the steam locomotive serve as buffer cars (same purpose those hoppers serve on oil or ethanol trains).   Those cars also serve as extra braking power for the train.

When one of my customers that contracts to haul extraordinarily heavy cargo (transformers for power plants, etc.) via the rail as a special train, they put their caboose on the rear, then their tool car (if warranted) then the load on a Schnabel Car, then they use 3-5 tankcars, boxcars, open or closed hoppers (always empty) and then the locomotives.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Blacklands Railroad (BLR), of Sulphur Springs, TX, is the contracted switcher for the new transload yard in Odessa, TX.  They are hiring at least one engineer and conductor.  Power is an LTEX SW1500.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#40]
http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/news/local/article_53a59dd3-6d5c-5353-a3f4-3e1d53c83398.html

LOL, i know exactly where this happened, and know Royce...... worked with him quite a bit when my machine worked out there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/news/local/article_53a59dd3-6d5c-5353-a3f4-3e1d53c83398.html

LOL, i know exactly where this happened, and know Royce...... worked with him quite a bit when my machine worked out there.
View Quote

That was floating around the office today.  I was kind of surprised at the level of detail in the article in regards to actual mileposts and RR property amounts.

I am also expecting some new Rules about not stealing a train when one is disgruntled.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Can you steal a train when grunteled?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are railroaders ever not disgruntled?  This could go deep into some psychotherapy areas....
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

SHURE where would you take it...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#45]
My aging father has been in the rail fan hobby since the late fifties and in that time he has acquired a nice collection.  Do to health issues (he has stage IV Pancreatic cancer) he is looking at seriously thinning things out.  Does anyone know of any sources that may be interested in different older rail magazines, slides photos of trains (he estimates around 25,000 slides) and time tables from rail roads from around the country.

I don't mean to violate any EE codes, I just am trying to see if there is a market for any of this.  If there is I will be happy to get more information and post items in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My aging father has been in the rail fan hobby since the late fifties and in that time he has acquired a nice collection.  Do to health issues (he has stage IV Pancreatic cancer) he is looking at seriously thinning things out.  Does anyone know of any sources that may be interested in different older rail magazines, slides photos of trains (he estimates around 25,000 slides) and time tables from rail roads from around the country.

I don't mean to violate any EE codes, I just am trying to see if there is a market for any of this.  If there is I will be happy to get more information and post items in the Equipment Exchange.
View Quote

If you are looking to donate, contact the local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.

If you are looking to sell, ebay or getting a table at your next local train show would work.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone else see Bing's image today?

Pretty cool:

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Just took an online assesment for a Carman position, didn't think it'd be that confusing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty cool:

http://www.bing.com/az/hprichbg/rb/PotrerillosPlant_EN-US9204041229_1366x768.jpg

View Quote

All I see there is a 2am call out for a Red signal....  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

All I see there is a 2am call out for a Red signal....  M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty cool:

http://www.bing.com/az/hprichbg/rb/PotrerillosPlant_EN-US9204041229_1366x768.jpg

All I see there is a 2am call out for a Red signal....  M

Slide fence, lol.
Page / 60
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top