Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Posted: 4/21/2013 10:28:35 PM EDT
Bring it here.

People who work for railroads and other parts of the industry will be happy to answer your questions.

If its in lingo you don't understand or grasp, no worries, we can convert to plain English.

Basically this thread goes "whoo-whooooo".
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
when there are multiple locomotives coupled together does that increase what it can haul?  also what it the longest train length you have seen or worked on?  i have heard trains being 2 miles long out in the Midwest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have nothing useful to add...but here is Sheldon Cooper

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
also in before sig-prude or whatever his name was
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Are there standards on how long you have to sound your horn at crossings? And does it matter if they are signed, lit, or gated? I live near a crossing with only a sign and they seem to lay on the horn.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I come from a long line of Railroading Irishmen. My father, his Father, His Grandfather, and Great-Grandfather ever since they stepped of the boat. Of me and my 7 Brothers, only 2 did not work on a Railroad. I was a Bridge worker for a contracter, traveled all over the US and Canada. Climbed timber bridges using linemans gear, inspected, treated and repaired them. One of my Brothers is still working for the DM&E. He's been doing that since he graduated High School when it was still The Milwaukee Road.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you think about Warren Buffet being such a big player in your industry?

Mike

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
when there are multiple locomotives coupled together does that increase what it can haul?  also what it the longest train length you have seen or worked on?  i have heard trains being 2 miles long out in the Midwest.

U.P. Conductor here, and the longest train I have ever worked was approximately 14,200 ft long.  I don't know what the longest is, but that is plenty long to be a pain to handle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, the more power and tractive effort you add, the more you can pull.

2 mile trains are pretty common these days.  Mostly intermodal and piggyback trains are most common, but there are 2 mile long mixed/manifest trains are out there.  With Distributed Power Units, or DPUs, are placed not only in the front but also in the middle and/or rear.  They are remotely operated by the engineer in the lead locomotive. It makes the long and the heavy trains easier to handle, especially in mountainous or undulating terrain.  It also makes lighter and shorter trains a little more fuel efficient.

The longest train I have ever been on was a 9,000ft mixed freight.  We don't have locomotives capable of operating as DPUs, so we put the locomotive consist at the front of our train and pull.  Most times it works out.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's hear a few tales about bums & transients caught sleeping (or whatever) in equipment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Why must RxR be union?

ETA: how long until you are not on-call 24 hrs a day because someone with 15 years keeps deciding to no show?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What are some things that you would do to improve the railroad? Whats the most screwed up thing right now holding back the railroad system?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
how often do you run into hobos or stow aways? are they nice or crazy??
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are there standards on how long you have to sound your horn at crossings? And does it matter if they are signed, lit, or gated? I live near a crossing with only a sign and they seem to lay on the horn.

Yes.  The FRA mandates that horns are sounded.  It doesn't matter how the grade crossing is protected they get treated the same.  Unless its a QZ, then horns don't have to be blown, unless its deemed necessary (like a car or person on the tracks).  The crews may hit the horn extra hard at that crossing because its a crossing that has seen a lot of "accidents" or is particularly hard to see from the roadway.  Or the crews are having people drive through them instead of yielding.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn, see if I can remember......

Long blast long blast short blast long blast and hold it until the front of the engine passes the opposite side of the crossing.
(not a railroader, just have a lot of family in the business and I picked up a bit here and there....)

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Other than speed of construction what are the advantages of welded over bolted track? Seems it would be more work to replace a section of welded track.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Other than speed of construction what are the advantages of welded over bolted track? Seems it would be more work to replace a section of welded track.

You can achieve greater on track speeds and eliminate harmonic rock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Got any cool pics?

Wrecks,ect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

CWR is harder to work on (cutting and welding rail vs. removing and applying joint bars) but requires far far less maintenance. Joints are a constant source of trouble. Bolts shear, the rail ends get battered, joint bars develop cracks, etc. Joints also tend to cause dips in the surface of the track, requiring tamping. Trains are able to travel faster, more smoothly on CWR as well but I don't give a shit about that. Track maintenance would be almost impossible with today's tonnage if CWR didn't exist.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CWR is harder to work on (cutting and welding rail vs. removing and applying joint bars) but requires far far less maintenance. Joints are a constant source of trouble. Bolts shear, the rail ends get battered, joint bars develop cracks, etc. Joints also tend to cause dips in the surface of the track, requiring tamping. Trains are able to travel faster, more smoothly on CWR as well but I don't give a shit about that. Track maintenance would be almost impossible with today's tonnage if CWR didn't exist.

^^^This^^^
Plus, it is easier on maintenance for the signal crews... and in signalled territory, both train crews and dispatchers can tell if a rail breaks in many cases, due to the circuit interruption and resulting signal changes.
Downside, however, is constant heat kinks in the summer and rail breaks with pull-aparts in the winter...and if it is a long string of CWR, you are gonna be drift-pinnin' and lighting burn ropes or rail snakes like a mofo (basically, burnable objects laid along the rail for a long length to heat and therefore expand the rail)

(Former MOW foreman, track inspector)
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the bathroom situation? Is there a bunk or anything in there ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I want one of these.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

two longs,  a short,  and a long....until you occupy the crossing

is there a siding near the crossing?  if they are going slow in or out of the siding it may make the horn time longer...
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

if the power is mu'd and not isolated it will allow more tonnage to be pulled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

if the power is mu'd and not isolated it will allow more tonnage to be pulled.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Did they really have to get rid of the coboose? I always thought that was the coolest part of the train.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

two longs,  a short,  and a long....until you occupy the crossing

is there a siding near the crossing?  if they are going slow in or out of the siding it may make the horn time longer...

Hell,  I got it right.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#27]
got any vids or stories about locomotive diesel engines running away?  saw a couple vids and they were crazy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why must RxR be union?

ETA: how long until you are not on-call 24 hrs a day because someone with 15 years keeps deciding to no show?

if you saw how the company treats their very own managers you would know why a union is not a bad idea on the RR.  The term "railroaded" has historical signifigance and some of the carriers still think it's the 1880's....
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are some things that you would do to improve the railroad? Whats the most screwed up thing right now holding back the railroad system?

management,  and management
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

shitty,  no.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What are some things that you would do to improve the railroad?
Whats the most screwed up thing right now holding back the railroad system?

I would get rid of all the trains. They're always in the way when I'm trying to do my job.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Let me answer as a former customer of the UP. Fix their shitty give-a-fuck customer service!

Don't get me wrong, I love trains & railroading, have been a modeler since my teens.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did they really have to get rid of the coboose? I always thought that was the coolest part of the train.

that was back when there were 5 man crews,  down to 2 now,,,,
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would get rid of all the trains. They're always in the way when I'm trying to do my job.

No more trains no more crossing fatalities.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody think of the childrens!

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

hiding behind form B's?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

shitty,  no.[/quote

So what happens on the choo choo in between the whoo whoops when you have to make boom boom?

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me answer as a former customer of the UP. Fix their shitty give-a-fuck customer service!

Don't get me wrong, I love trains & railroading, have been a modeler since my teens.

well,  if they treat the customer like shit imagine how they treat their employees....  
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shitty,  no.[/quote

So what happens on the choo choo in between the whoo whoops when you have to make boom boom?

there are shitters,  dont shit in the lead unit.....

There are no bunks.....but the chair reclines and there is a desk to prop yer feet on.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#41]
we had a woman apparently lay down on the tracks here localy last week and get run over. sucks for the driver. nothing he could have done I guess. ever seen any thing like that? I bet it would be hard to watch, its not like you can stop that beast easily
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I bet I'm the only guy in this thread who ever worked for Penn Central.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
we had a woman apparently lay down on the tracks here localy last week and get run over. sucks for the driver. nothing he could have done I guess. ever seen any thing like that? I bet it would be hard to watch, its not like you can stop that beast easily

happens eventully,   sometimes alot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What do you think about Warren Buffet being such a big player in your industry?

Mike

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It doesn't bother me in the least.  He was smart to do it, and investing in the railroad would be smart for everyone.  IMO transportation will continue to dictate this economy.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for making the whole rail system underground or better yet abandoning all the track
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for making the whole rail system underground or better yet abandoning all the track

truck driver?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

truck driver?

former
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top