Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
People still use carrier-provided software and updates?  I've lost count of how many times one of my droid-using friends had to exchange their bricked device due to a bad update.  It has happened to my brother twice in the last 6 months.  The updates went through and the devices just quit working

Currrently running CaptivatingM3 + semaphore on my S1.  Prior to that was CM10.1 + semaphore.   If you own an android device you need to register over at XDA forum and bookmark the section for your device.  You're missing out on better looks, better performance, better battery life, more customizations, more apps(root-only apps like Titanium Backup), etc.

I might just do that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
People still use carrier-provided software and updates?  I've lost count of how many times one of my droid-using friends had to exchange their bricked device due to a bad update.  It has happened to my brother twice in the last 6 months.  The updates went through and the devices just quit working

Currrently running CaptivatingM3 + semaphore on my S1.  Prior to that was CM10.1 + semaphore.   If you own an android device you need to register over at XDA forum and bookmark the section for your device.  You're missing out on better looks, better performance, better battery life, more customizations, more apps(root-only apps like Titanium Backup), etc.

I might just do that.

I would too if I knew what the fuck he was talking about.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might just do that.

I would too if I knew what the fuck he was talking about.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Everything is free with Android. Is everything free with Apple?

Huh? I have a shit ton of paid for apps on my Android phone. And I have a lot of free apps on my iOS devices.    

What are you referring to, exactly? Apps? And if so, what does the price of an app have to do with it's proprietary nature? Are you only running Open Source applications? I kind of doubt it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the epitome of the proverbial unstoppable force versus immovable object. ARFCOM's darling versus ARFCOM's beloved radio host in an Apple versus Android thread.

Hold on to your socks, it could get rough before it's all over....
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? I have a shit ton of paid for apps on my Android phone. And I have a lot of free apps on my iOS devices.    

What are you referring to, exactly? Apps? And if so, what does the price of an app have to do with it's proprietary nature? Are you only running Open Source applications? I kind of doubt it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the epitome of the proverbial unstoppable force versus immovable object. ARFCOM's darling versus ARFCOM's beloved radio host in an Apple versus Android thread.

Hold on to your socks, it could get rough before it's all over....

My personal phone runs Android, my tablet runs iOS, my work computer runs OSX (for most tasks) and Windows 8 for others, my home server runs FreeBSD, (most of) my work servers run Windows 2008 Server, some of my utilitarian work servers run CentOS, and my telecom-related servers at work run a modified version of RHEL.

I don't know how else to put it - I don't give a flying fuck about platform wars. Only non-geeks still argue about this shit, in 2013. Being that I'm not a mouth breathing hyper-religious moron in the technical sense, I'm perfectly capable of using whatever you put in front of me, to get the job done. In other words, I'm a professional, not a hobbyist. I earn my bread making what you put in front of me, do what you wished it could. That's how I earn my living.

This isn't an Apple vs Android thread (or it shouldn't be). That's just stupid. This is a "What can we accomplish no matter what OS we run" thread. Or it should be.

If you've never written a line of C in your life, don't give me any bullshit about your favorite operating system being "open", as if you even care. I'll call you on it. Use what floats your boat (I certainly do), but don't try and bullshit me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everytime there is an update, the browser gets worse.

I used to be able to click the 'green arrow' for the last read posts in threads.. now I can't unless I zoom in real close.

Fuckin A.

Exact same thing here!!! RAZR Maxx. Updated and now it literally takes me a full minute to change thread pages sometimes!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, agreed 100%

the shift function on my key board is now fucked as is the autocorrect function plus I am having trouble with clicking links

Does yours now randomly insert periods and move your text cursor around?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, agreed 100%

the shift function on my key board is now fucked as is the autocorrect function plus I am having trouble with clicking links

you are not alone.  my keyboard is completely fucked now.  i have tried to fix it but theres no solution that i have found.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, agreed 100%

I cannot post in threads on my phone with any ease as it keeps 'bumping' me up to the start of the post. Its a real bitch when I am quoting someone as it fucks up the quote table.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to be able to watch flash videos on mine...

I can not see how it was a good idea to update and NOT FUCKING SUPPORT FLASH YOU FUCKING MOTHER FUCK
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I can not see how it was a good idea to update and NOT FUCKING SUPPORT FLASH YOU FUCKING MOTHER FUCK

You honestly care about Flash? I consider it am embarrassment that my own site relies on it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You honestly care about Flash? I consider it am embarrassment that my own site relies on it.  

Well when I wanna check out some pron yea...

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, agreed 100%

I cannot post in threads on my phone with any ease as it keeps 'bumping' me up to the start of the post. Its a real bitch when I am quoting someone as it fucks up the quote table.

Dear god it was bad enough before especially with this craptastic arfcom editor. Now if you allow it to autocorrect a word, it somehow puts that whole word up at the beginning, but in the quote as well, completely fucking everything up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

actually, it was adobe that stopped supporting android. you can still install flash but it only works on a couple of browsers such as firefox. chrome does not support it last i knew. i am running ICS on tablets as well as my SIII and still have flash.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a Droid.  Replaced it with an iPhone 5.  Problem(s) solved.  I know there's a lot of Apple hate on here but, at least in my experience, there's simply no comparison-both hardware and software-wise.  BTW, I'm assuming you are referring to a phone.  If you're talking about a pad, disregard as I have no experience with them.

Apple is great, if you enjoy proprietary bullshit and parting with your wallet.
Unless you compiled Android from source yourself, and managed to install it on your phone with all the code for the radios, etc, you're holding "proprietary bullshit" in your hand.

All apps that I use on my iPhone 5 have been free.  In fact, I spent more on the "free" Android apps than I ever have on Apple apps.  Don't get too hung up on Android being open-source.  All smart phone software is proprietary (and closed) to a large degree.  Apple is more tightly controlled than other companies, but those controls also mean that the apps typically run better.  I paid a little more for my iPhone because I wanted a better experience and better quality.  I do the same with other consumer goods, as well.  And man is it nice not to have to do a battery pull EVERY SINGLE DAY to get the phone working again.    

if you had to do a battery pull every day then YOU fucked something up. the only time i have had to do a battery pull was when flashing my SIII. i dont even turn my phone off unless i fall asleep and forget to plug it in before i do. i dont remember the last time i turned my phone off and my phone runs 100%. hell, i dont remember the last time i had a "forced close" popup. some people just cant handle android which is why they should stick to crapple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure it's not app updates?

Its whatever update android has every 6 months to a year.

It updates the standard browser, and it is going down hill every update.

Well, there's your problem! That, and you really should switch to Chrome if you want the default browser; as that is default for all Android phones now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser

If someone could tell me how to change the settings in chrome where text will fit to page width.. I'd use it.

You can't with Chrome. It doesn't reflow the text, which is just stupid. I sold an Ipad because it wouldn't do that.

Then, I ain't using it.

I tried Firefox... had the same problem.

Oh well.
Dolphin you can change it,

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't had an update issue, but my second Droid Razor in thirteen months just failed.  The first one failed within days of arriving, so Verizon replaced it with a refurb that only had a 90-day warranty.  It failed last week and Verizon told me I had to buy a brand new Droid as the 90-day warranty was up.  I told them no way and they agreed to send a free replacement Razor.  We'll see how long this one lasts.  If it fails, I'm switching to an iPhone.  So far, not impressed with the Droid.

ETA:  After reading some of the above posts, maybe it WAS an update issue.  Sigh...

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dolphin HD browser

Tablet uses Dolphin.

Phone uses Dolphin mini.

It resizes and reformats text nicely. I browse arf with one of those more than my desktop.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top