Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I am humbled by the telecom geekiness in this thread. And happier than a pig in shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Loop has been stable since I implemented the suggested SNR margin target.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Loop has been stable since I implemented the suggested SNR margin target.  Thanks guys!

You do realize that you could have called one of our tech support guys and had it cleared up in a lot less time

Btw, I am not one of those tech guys.  I have no idea how this stuff works, I just make sure it is shipped correctly......  I have a hell of a time explaining to family and friends what the stuff we make does......
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]

snip

Yep, I have several of them. They are a pretty solid little box if still a little young and rough around the edges.

We use them to form g.8032 rings for DSLAM backhaul, as well as Cell Tower backhaul. We use them in places where we need both Ethernet and T1/Special drops because of their Circuit Emulation cards: for instance overlay DSLAM sites that need a GigE for bandwidth, but are also need gr303 voice T1's to a legacy switch, or certain Cell carriers that want to keep a few T1's up for timing or legacy services. We liked them because they are dirt cheap, pretty reliable, very simple, and they place nice on the y.1731 front with the Accedians we already deploy. There are a few things about them I would change (10G on the "ring" links and physical size could be a tad smaller), but overall I have been happy with them for what they are.

Being a lab monkey, I've had to touch pretty much everything that has been used in the last ten years or so.

Good to hear. We have been using them for cell back-haul termination as well and i was a bit worried about them. The software seemed a bit limited compared to the Cisco's i was used to using for transport. We haven't did any rings with them yet either just p2p so good to hear that works good as well.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does it support NetFlow? and have you found NetFlow useful?

Have you used it much? What collector do you use? We setup a netflow on our core and the amount of data raped our database server and its beefy. I cant imagine capturing all the way down to the access layer.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The breadth of knowledge here, represented in all "trades" (if I may call them that), is breathtaking.

This really is one of my favorite threads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
For giggles, here's an OPTI-6100

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5596/20130422155724.jpg

Based on what I ship daily, those are quite popular........  As are the TA3000's and the Tracer stuff.  Nothing like the VDSL DSLAMS though......

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you guys want, I could take pictures of the test bed TA-5000 we have.  For those who just want to see it for nerdiness sake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on what I ship daily, those are quite popular........  As are the TA3000's and the Tracer stuff.  Nothing like the VDSL DSLAMS though......  

I assume you are w Adtran.  if so yall should get together a suitcase class together for us and come up here to AK and get your vacation on.  We are looking for MEF certifications and training.  we are a large customer of yours, you might want to steal some business from Occam/Calix too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you guys want, I could take pictures of the test bed TA-5000 we have.  For those who just want to see it for nerdiness sake.

do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am humbled by the telecom geekiness in this thread. And happier than a pig in shit.

professional respects given to you likewise, sir.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Real men still show interface terse, though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

do it.

So doing that tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

professional respects given to you likewise, sir.

I've honestly learned a shit ton, in this thread. I'm always on the "other"side of provisioning - the guy that's on the customer side, trying to get a T1 or a PRI (or whatever) turned up.

If I had you guys on the other end of the line, my life would be so much easier. It would save me from having to run debugs to figure out why (for example, recently) that you required a MEGACOM dial-plan on a Primary-4ESS. BTW, fuck you AT&T for not giving me decent provisioning info that I could use. Thank God for debugs, asswipes.

Incidentally (not that it matters at the end of the day), I had a chick in provisioning compliment me on my troubleshooting prowess. Good for her, and good for me. Problem is, neither of our bosses will ever know of this, nor care if if they did.

Sigh.  

ADSL, SDSL and VDSL are technologies that I'm only slightly familiar with, on the backend. Such is a limitation of not working for a carrier. Reading this thread has given me a new appreciation (and shit ton of knowledge) for the engineers who not only know it stone cold, but work as hard as they can to get it right, because it's the right thing to do.

This thread kicks ass. I love this site.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We still put out a fair amount of the OPTI-6100, but it is slowly tapering off as we continue to evolve to a pure Ethernet shop and have less and less use for a SONET platform. It is still a player though, and it continues to evolve; however I think an 8044M ring with the 2.5Gbps Ethernet Ring option can serve 90% of the needs that we fill with the 6100. The only thing it can't really replace yet is the DS3/OC3 drop ability. We haven't been deploying TA3000's for a long time now though, as they are a pretty old (ATM) platform. We used to use the crap out of them for ADSL shelves and IMA T1 agg, but now the TA5000 has supplanted it on both accounts (that and what masochist is still deploying IMA?!?). I really like the new mini DSLAMs, and we are passing out 1108VP's and 1148V's like candy.

I've been to Huntsville to tour the place, and I can say that it is simply amazing. You should try to hook up with the product leads, as I have heard they sometimes take a few samples of everything out to the farm for some firearm powered NEBS testing
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume you are w Adtran.  if so yall should get together a suitcase class together for us and come up here to AK and get your vacation on.  We are looking for MEF certifications and training.  we are a large customer of yours, you might want to steal some business from Occam/Calix too.

You guys should get your vacation on too and visit Corporate. It is warm and beautiful this time of year, and for bonus words they have rockets just down the street...Rockets!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have those classes available.  I have shipped the training equipment to Canada, Ireland, GB, etc in the past few months.  It ain't free though, unless your company included it in the contract.

Define large customer.  $1M, $5M, $150M a year?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Even though I shouldn't be, I'm astonished at the number of CO guys in this thread. God, I love this site. It really has everything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gear looks better in its natural habitat. Routers don't need no stinkin lights, they have plenty of their own!

For reference, it is a Juniper MX240, Juniper MX480, and a Cisco ASR9006

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

We have those classes available.  I have shipped the training equipment to Canada, Ireland, GB, etc in the past few months.  It ain't free though, unless your company included it in the contract.    

Define large customer.  $1M, $5M, $150M a year?

I just always leave a picture like this as my screen saver when the Adtran reps are around when I want some free stuff

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
So will I get in trouble if I post some pictures I took of the inside of the CO
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If it is of a piece of specific gear, you are fine. I wouldn't post a wide angle shot of your live CO without asking though, especially if it is uniquely visibly identifiable. I've seen security guys in-house get weird over stuff like that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is of a piece of specific gear, you are fine. I wouldn't post a wide angle shot of your live CO without asking though, especially if it is uniquely visibly identifiable. I've seen security guys in-house get weird over stuff like that.

Yeah....there in lies the problem.  It's wide angle, but you can't see any of the labels on the shelves.  I dunno....  I just know I wasn't exactly supposed to snap the pictures with my phone
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Picture of the test TA-5000 as promised.  Right now it just as an ADSL2+ combo card and a VDSL card in it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Why only one SM? And no SM10G? :P

Here are some of mine, the first picture is of some C7's and 5000's and 5006's (mini-5000), the second picture is of all the various outside mounting style DSLAMs that are environmentally sealed and meant to hang on a pole, h-frame, side of a building, or even buried (in the case of the TA1108VP - super cool box).

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Picture of the test TA-5000 as promised.  Right now it just as an ADSL2+ combo card and a VDSL card in it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6990/20130423155913.jpg

A chassis with 4 cards?  No where near $50k unless you are using GPON. The TA5K chassis (shelf) is around $2k max.  A chassis full of GPON cards may get you to $50k but I doubt it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is Total Access 5000?

http://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/group/330

Can it calculate ballistic trajectories for Luna to Earth magnetic catapult fired barges?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A chassis with 4 cards?  No where near $50k unless you are using GPON. The TA5K chassis (shelf) is around $2k max.  A chassis full of GPON cards may get you to $50k but I doubt it.  

I would think it would be pretty easy to bust through $50K with the MARS-2 and ETOS/OTOS cards. A single MARS-2 setup is probably pretty close for just the line cards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/group/330

Can it calculate ballistic trajectories for Luna to Earth magnetic catapult fired barges?

Doubtful. But, if you have DSL you now know what is in that cream colored cabinet that you see the phone company van parked near at random times.......

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think it would be pretty easy to bust through $50K with the MARS-2 and ETOS/OTOS cards. A single MARS-2 setup is probably pretty close for just the line cards.

The chassis is cheap.  It requires a SM card which is relatively cheap as well.  The fan module, cheap. So we are only looking at 3 cards. No where near $50k unless it is housed in a custom bay or enclosure. The last full blown TA5K system I shipped was valued at about $20k and it was shipped out of the us.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The chassis is cheap.  It requires a SM card which is relatively cheap as well.  The fan module, cheap. So we are only looking at 3 cards. No where near $50k unless it is housed in a custom bay or enclosure. The last full blown TA5K system I shipped was valued at about $20k and it was shipped out of the us.    

Oh absolutely the sheet metal is cheap. I remember when the TA5K first launched the sheet metal was promotionally included with the purchase of the SM and Access cards. And you're right, the only access card that has much cost is the GPON blade, but the transport blades which are brand new and probably not shipping much are far more complicated and costly. I haven't ordered any of the MARS-X cards, but ROADM cards in other transport vendor chassis tend to be quite costly due to their complexity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just the one we have in the office for testing things out.  The ones in the COs are nice and full.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh absolutely the sheet metal is cheap. I remember when the TA5K first launched the sheet metal was promotionally included with the purchase of the SM and Access cards. And you're right, the only access card that has much cost is the GPON blade, but the transport blades which are brand new and probably not shipping much are far more complicated and costly. I haven't ordered any of the MARS-X cards, but ROADM cards in other transport vendor chassis tend to be quite costly due to their complexity.

Got a part number?  I may be able to tell you when it will ship. As long as it is a released item.......

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]
My junipers are laughing and giggling at this thread right now..
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just the one we have in the office for testing things out.  The ones in the COs are nice and full.

Still, it is pretty hard to hit $50k on a single chassis.  You running VDSL?   If so you may hit that amount. Doubtful though.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Why? Because of how much they squeezed out of you?

I know how much those cost too...

This is my old M320. I'll have to get some pics of my MX's. We should be getting a "Tiny" before long as well.

With all of these pics I need to get one with my AR "dinner pic" style lol.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Because of how much they squeezed out of you?

I know how much those cost too...

This is my old M320. I'll have to get some pics of my MX's. We should be getting a "Tiny" before long as well.

With all of these pics I need to get one with my AR "dinner pic" style lol.

<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/Kanatii/media/Photo0112.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/Kanatii/Photo0112.jpg</a>

Is it wrong that I kinda want that in my office at home?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Why no Fast path in that one picture in your setup screen?  How accurate is it in estimating route length of whatever pair it is aggregating?

And to start us off on a segway into a somewhat related topic, I'm sorry but I do hope you guys who do the back-end provisioning for dsl related stuff keep your skills up-to-date in other technology areas because, in my humble opinion, dsl as a whole is a dead-end technology.  Even current ADSL2+/VDSL, you're looking at a max of 50Mbps per subscriber i think and that assumes they're living within maybe 1000 feet of a VRAD.  There is only so much you can do with a a pair of 22AWG copper wires, untwisted I might add.  This whole pair bonding crap that companies like AT&T are thinking about rolling out would only be applicable in certain cases and even then they might not even have the physical copper already laid in the ground to do it.  

I will say that cable broadband as a whole is on better footing because of the physical technology of coax for one, the allocation of channel spectrum for another, and of course DOCSIS 3 bringing out channel bonding really started hammering the nails in the coffin of dsl.  3.1 is even more interesting because of the proposed narrowing of spectrum for dedicated channels, thereby increasing the number of channels bonded with certain frequency ranges.  

Don't get me wrong...fiber straight to the home is the only true answer to all consumers' ever increasing demands for more bandwidth.  But for now for incumbents trying to get the most out of the copper they do have, cable is in a far better position to maximize that infrastructure.  

Flame suit on...discuss.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Even current ADSL2+/VDSL, you're looking at a max of 50Mbps per subscriber i think and that assumes they're living within maybe 1000 feet of a VRAD.

Nothing, and I repeat nothing I do at home, requires that kind of bandwidth.

I'm at 12/2, and it's more than adequate. I have a leased seedbox for torrents.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Want.  To.  Play. A. Game ?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://bit.ly/10dyyLv
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Even current ADSL2+/VDSL, you're looking at a max of 50Mbps per subscriber i think and that assumes they're living within maybe 1000 feet of a VRAD.

Good for you, doesn't mean that profile fits everyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#44]
OP. Can you define the the phrase " F.M." as it relates to telcom?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It fits well over 95% of the populace. What are you doing that's saturating a 50Mbps connection on a regular basis?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I piss myself with joy when I can get 1.5 mbps speeds/  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It fits well over 95% of the populace. What are you doing that's saturating a 50Mbps connection on a regular basis?  

Really?  What are you doing with an ammo fort?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Really?  What are you doing with an ammo fort?

Sitting on more ammo than I actually use, why?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why no Fast path in that one picture in your setup screen?  How accurate is it in estimating route length of whatever pair it is aggregating?

And to start us off on a segway into a somewhat related topic, I'm sorry but I do hope you guys who do the back-end provisioning for dsl related stuff keep your skills up-to-date in other technology areas because, in my humble opinion, dsl as a whole is a dead-end technology.  Even current ADSL2+/VDSL, you're looking at a max of 50Mbps per subscriber i think and that assumes they're living within maybe 1000 feet of a VRAD.  There is only so much you can do with a a pair of 22AWG copper wires, untwisted I might add.  This whole pair bonding crap that companies like AT&T are thinking about rolling out would only be applicable in certain cases and even then they might not even have the physical copper already laid in the ground to do it.  

I will say that cable broadband as a whole is on better footing because of the physical technology of coax for one, the allocation of channel spectrum for another, and of course DOCSIS 3 bringing out channel bonding really started hammering the nails in the coffin of dsl.  3.1 is even more interesting because of the proposed narrowing of spectrum for dedicated channels, thereby increasing the number of channels bonded with certain frequency ranges.  

Don't get me wrong...fiber straight to the home is the only true answer to all consumers' ever increasing demands for more bandwidth.  But for now for incumbents trying to get the most out of the copper they do have, cable is in a far better position to maximize that infrastructure.  

Flame suit on...discuss.

We have arial fiber to the prem in the works actually.  My employer definitely sees the writing on the wall.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Flame suit on...discuss.

This is the advantage of being a lab goon. I've had to learn the full spectrum from DSL and TDM access to Metro-E switching and routing to core routing, and all of the optical and packet optical transport in between them. The down side of being a lab goon is becoming a jack of all trades, master of none.

And we haven't sunk new copper in years. If we have to fire up a back-hoe then it puts fiber in the dirt. All new subdivisions and new-home construction in our markets get FttH. The problem isn't the cost of the fiber vs. the cost of the copper. 90% of our cost is in the Caterpillar/Construction King.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top