Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 63
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What votes are left, if any?

I thought I heard Reid say something yesterday about having a vote on something this morning.

Not sure.  I asked that on last nights thread.  But you can watch it here.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought I heard Reid say something yesterday about having a vote on something this morning.

Two amendment votes left in the queue.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone point me to this 90% poll they keep quoting?  What was the survey population?  Margin of error?  Who conducted the poll?  What were the actual questions asked?

It was 3 states 1000 phone calls

PA
NJ
and forgot the other state, in that same poll they also asked if background checks would lead to  a nation firearm register 60% said yes.

Got a link to the study?  Coworker has bought that stat hook, line and sinker.  Would be nice to show him why it's a bad number.

I'd like to see this too

as would I, 90% has been the mythical figure tossed about by obummer and I have yet to see any source.

poll in question

New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

Those three are clearly indicative of the entire country
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like there is going to be a vote on S. 649: Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of
2013, the "foundation" bill on which all of the votes on the amendments were made yesterday. Supposed to start at 12PM ET.

Anybody have anything different?

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone point me to this 90% poll they keep quoting?  What was the survey population?  Margin of error?  Who conducted the poll?  What were the actual questions asked?

PA
NJ
and forgot the other state, in that same poll they also asked if background checks would lead to  a nation firearm register 60% said yes.

Got a link to the study?  Coworker has bought that stat hook, line and sinker.  Would be nice to show him why it's a bad number.

I'd like to see this too

as would I, 90% has been the mythical figure tossed about by obummer and I have yet to see any source.

ETA: someone posted it while I was replying... thanks!

Has anyone found a link to info on this?  I would LOVE to have something to shove back at everyone yelling that the Senate didnt listen to 90% of the country.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PA
NJ

I'd like to see this too

poll in question

New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

Those three are clearly indicative of the entire country

Trying to pull that poll apart, am I blind... or does that page not state how many people were polled?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys, please join me on the white houses Facebook page. Trolling is quite fun
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
So there are two more amendments to be voted on at noon eastern today, and then the original bill is to be voted on?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like there is going to be a vote on S. 649: Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of2013, the "foundation" bill on which all of the votes on the amendments were made yesterday. Supposed to start at 12PM ET.

Can I ask where you read this and what cspan channel is covering it? I'd like to listen in an hr and a half. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]
they are voting on the original bill today.

I think it will pass due to backlash from yesterday

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Manchin-Toomey amendment had the widest amount of support and was shot down.

I think that the whole thing will go down in flames today
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you trolling?

All you post is doom and gloom "OMG it's going to pass", then it doesn't pass and you say "OMG, this even worse option is going to pass" etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]
What time is the vote? Anyone have a link to where it can be watched?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What time is the vote? Anyone have a link to where it can be watched?

Noon I believe and you should be able to see it via Live Video at C-SPAN
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just stop.  You were predicting 100% chance of UBC passing, 90% of Mag capacity limit and 70% of AWB yesterday.  You were wrong then, and you're wrong today.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Status updates for the amendments voted on yesterday are posted here (click on AMENDMENTS):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:SN00649:|/home/LegislativeData.php?n=BSS;c=113|

I count 7 votes held yesterday.  I thought there was supposed to be 8?  So at least one more vote should follow today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Cornyn is up now, giving Obama hell about his "low road" attack yesterday....
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#19]
No Homo, but damn, I love Sen. Cornyn!  Calling it as it is! May just have to donate $$$$ Today to that guy.
Feels good to be Texan......as usual.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
So is there another vote on these amendments today? Im confused, I thought they were struck down yesterday. Sorry that's probably a dumb question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like there is going to be a vote on S. 649: Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of2013, the "foundation" bill on which all of the votes on the amendments were made yesterday. Supposed to start at 12PM ET.

Can I ask where you read this and what cspan channel is covering it? I'd like to listen in an hr and a half. Thanks

Once you get to the C-SPAN page click on the C-SPAN2 tab and it shows the schedule:

• 9:30am (ET)

LIVE: Senate Session

• 12pm (ET)

LIVE: U.S. Senate: Votes on Amendments to Gun Legislation

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So is there another vote on these amendments today? Im confused, I thought they were struck down yesterday. Sorry that's probably a dumb question.

There are no dumb questions if you're trying to inform yourself man. There will not be another vote on those amendments that were votes down yesterday. There could always be an introduction of a new piece of legislation containing the same bullshit as the amendments but we will have to wait and see. I think the democrats got the idea yesterday that this is NOT what the American people want. Watching bam bam squirm about over it was priceless. Enjoy today as the UBC bill gets votes down here in about an hr.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#24]
So they just need 50 votes to pass the original bill, correct?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are no dumb questions if you're trying to inform yourself man. There will not be another vote on those amendments that were votes down yesterday. There could always be an introduction of a new piece of legislation containing the same bullshit as the amendments but we will have to wait and see. I think the democrats got the idea yesterday that this is NOT what the American people want. Watching bam bam squirm about over it was priceless. Enjoy today as the UBC bill gets votes down here in about an hr.

Thanks for the info. So if the bill gets voted down again today thats the end of the preposed legislation (for now)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#26]
The bill itself is not supposed to see a vote today.  Reid said yesterday (It was on twitter) that they'll vote the amendments and then pull the bill so that the bill can be reintroduced at a later date.

I believe the bill still needs 60 votes just like the amendments, although I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Down at the bottom of the page are links to the demographics:

1134 registered voters in Virginia.
Republican                 26%
Democrat                   34
Independent                29
Other/DK/NA                10

1647 registered voters in New Jersey
Republican                 23%
Democrat                   35
Independent                36
Other/DK/NA                 5

1221 registered voters in Pennsylvania
Republican                 30%
Democrat                   39
Independent                25
Other/DK/NA                 6

Awesome, thanks!

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#28]
My fucking nerves can not keep taking this......I want a vote on the original bill today, so we can be done with this -----a least for a little while......I know the attack on our rights never really ends.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My fucking nerves can not keep taking this......I want a vote on the original bill today, so we can be done with this -----a least for a little while......I know the attack on our rights never really ends.

Is there anything left in the bill thats a problem?  ... though I guess it has no chance at this point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Blumenthal is up right now blaming the filibuster as an evil anti-democratic tool of right wing nazis to push the murderous agenda of a vocal minority of NRA members onto the peace loving 90% of all 'Mericans who support the Dem's common sense proposals.

He's "speaking in both sorrow and anger"

How could the Senate slap the faces of those brave Newtown families who just want to protect the chillins (despite the fact that even their own side said none of this would have stopped Sandy Hook).

Usual tools, and a LOT of butt hurt in this Senate
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Blumenthal on right now claiming he will "double his efforts"

Link for those who want it:   http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there anything left in the bill thats a problem?  ... though I guess it has no chance at this point.

Yes, the original bill has MUCH worse UBC in it than the Toomey amendment.  Essentially if you're not CLOSELY related, you have to have a UBC.  NY style.

The base bill is still a threat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest I am not sure.  The text of the bill is a few pages back, like 58 or 59.  Regardless, the Amendments can come up again (and others like em) if the Bill does not die today and hangs around.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Dick Blue Mentol is whining right now on cspan in the senate chamber.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#35]
This is so disgusting........Man has no shame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the original bill has MUCH worse UBC in it than the Toomey amendment.  Essentially if you're not CLOSELY related, you have to have a UBC.  NY style.

The base bill is still a threat.

This.  But it sounds like Reid will pull the bill from the floor after the two amendment votes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#37]
2 more amendments will be voted on today...... Things that they simply didn't get to yesterday.

The big ones (UBC, AWB, mag capacity limits) were done yesterday and everything was defeated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Blumenthal: "Votes have consequences..."

One thng you are right about, you worthless lying motherfucker!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I hope the good people of CT vote this fucktard out of office.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd suggest we do what the Allies League of Nations/UN did after WWII in creating the state of Israel for Jewish refugees.  We'll carve off part of the US, say, southern New York, all of New Jersey and most of Maryland, and declare it a liberal paradise and welcome them to relocate there to start their new gun-free lives.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd suggest we do what the Allies did after WWII in creating the state of Israel for Jewish refugees.  We'll carve off part of the US, say, southern New York, all of New Jersey and most of Maryland, and declare it a liberal paradise and welcome them to relocate there to start their new gun-free lives.

I would be completely OK with this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Am I wrong to not be breathing a sigh of relief just yet?

Obama's angry backlash, the bill being pulled rather then killed outright, the two remaining votes today.

Not trying to be a worry wart (even though I am) but how hard would it be for Reid to change the votes required to a simple majority, do a little more arm twisting and cram the bill down everyones throat last minute with some kind of voice vote bullshit (see 86 MG ban and how it was tacked on to the FOPA).

?

Sorry for being the harbinger of gloom and doom but I trust these fuckers not at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Down at the bottom of the page are links to the demographics:

1134 registered voters in Virginia.
Republican                 26%
Democrat                   34
Independent                29
Other/DK/NA                10

1647 registered voters in New Jersey
Republican                 23%
Democrat                   35
Independent                36
Other/DK/NA                 5

1221 registered voters in Pennsylvania
Republican                 30%
Democrat                   39
Independent                25
Other/DK/NA                 6

Awesome, thanks!

Gee, I wonder what the results would be if they polled say Texas, Arkansas and Missouri?   Hell take any 3 fly over states!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2 more amendments will be voted on today...... Things that they simply didn't get to yesterday.

The big ones (UBC, AWB, mag capacity limits) were done yesterday and everything was defeated.

This is exactly what I was wondering, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Blumenthal is pissed
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#46]
isnt his frickin time up yet?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm enjoying watching Blumenthal talk... he's essentially giving a eulogy to gun control and to his career.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#48]
You better hope the arc of history doesn't bend towards justice you worthless POS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hope the good people of CT vote this fucktard out of office.

Not much hope in that.  There are too few good people and too many limousine liberals and FSA types.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Voting resumes.  Barrasco amendment on privacy for private gun owner info now.
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top