Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is a good source of basic information for someone who has a nice gaming/video rig sitting idle 99% of the time, but has zero knowledge of bitcoin mining?

Suddenly, starting to consider a two more GTX 670s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do you get the lite or full miner?  Where do you sign up for this stuff?

First you download bitcoin link

Let it sync, it will take several hours.

Then you get a miner.  I'm just getting started doing this.  There is  cgminer (I'm using this) and guiminer

Theres lots of others too.

What's the minimum cpu power you can get away with for mining?

I have an older laptop that's sitting and a free port in the house modem.
As long as it's using less electricity than profit, I can let it run and forget about it.

The trouble is that CPU-based mining isn't worth it, from what I understand.  You will burn more electricity than make money.  The video card, or GPU as they call it, has way more horsepower, and that's when you can see results.

Again, I'm just getting into it, and not even close to an expert.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you get a miner.  I'm just getting started doing this.  There is  cgminer (I'm using this) and guiminer

So I should get the original client and then a wallet?  What wallet do you recommend?  Or is the original client also a wallet?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a guy who took a loan out for $30k some time ago and invested it in Bitcoin. Apparently he turned that 30k into 6 digits.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it's using less electricity than profit, I can let it run and forget about it.

The trouble is that CPU-based mining isn't worth it, from what I understand.  You will burn more electricity than make money.  The video card, or GPU as they call it, has way more horsepower, and that's when you can see results.

It's kind of what I figured.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where is a good source of basic information for someone who has a nice gaming/video rig sitting idle 99% of the time, but has zero knowledge of bitcoin mining?

I'm running a GTX 680 right now...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have luck joining pools with the litecoin client?

I can solo mine fine with it, but the client keeps saying "Miner failed to start. Make sure you have the minerd executable and libraries in the same directory as Litecoin-Qt." whenever I try using the pooled mining function.

Got the same exact thing.

You have to download one of the other miners and put them in the directory with litecoin-qt.  The client can mine solo, but it can't mine on a pool without another program.  Go to bitcointalk.org if you want to learn about it -- I'll warn you it's a steep learning curve, more so with litecoin than bitcoin.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother.  You need GPUs to mine anything worthwhile now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of those are good cards for mining -- if you're looking to buy you want to buy ATI cards.  google litecoin (or bitcoin) mining hardware comparison, and you will see the type of hardware you need.

I'm building a system with three 7970s in it, that's about the minimum to be useful right now as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother.  You need GPUs to mine anything worthwhile now.

Is this true for all the coin types now?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bottom line, doing the math that's required is a task that GPUs are optimized for and have a lot of hardware dedicated to doing -- so they can do it very fast, while a CPU cannot do that.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I take it that few others really care about alternate currencies, eh? 3 unique posters.

Kind of blows my mine this thread hasn't been hit like a screen door in a hurricane.

Since I dont even know how to multiple quote I will just say I have no idea what any of this even means .............

"Mining for a little over a month...Wish I woulda got in sooner.

Not a very big stockpile. I'm mostly mining alt-coins like LTC.

Will buy an ASIC this year if it all goes well. Looking at investing in multi-GPU farms for scrypt-based hashing"

BustinCaps is a Bitcoin guy , but I have no idea other than "alternate currency that I cant buy ammo with"

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nvidia for whatever reason, is simply terrible at mining.

Take a gander at this to see how different hardware stacks up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nvidia for whatever reason, is simply terrible at mining.

Take a gander at this to see how different hardware stacks up.

Yeah I was already learning that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of those are good cards for mining -- if you're looking to buy you want to buy ATI cards.  google litecoin (or bitcoin) mining hardware comparison, and you will see the type of hardware you need.

I'm building a system with three 7970s in it, that's about the minimum to be useful right now as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm not going to spend $1700 bucks for video cards.

Edit:  Looks like the cards go for only about $400 buck each.  For $1200 isn't that bad...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

bottom line, doing the math that's required is a task that GPUs are optimized for and have a lot of hardware dedicated to doing -- so they can do it very fast, while a CPU cannot do that.

Kinda figured that.

I'm not a gamer, but a surfer, so I have a great modem, but plain jane computers and no game consoles.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Since I dont even know how to multiple quote I will just say I have no idea what any of this even means .............

Here is a 2 minute overview youtube vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo

please someone imbed this, preferably in the OP
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LOL bitcoin. It's going to fail or someone will hack it once again. It's no better or worse than the FR. Fiat is always fiat regardless of the medium.

The best part - people want to exchange it for a useful currency like the dollar.

"again"?

Please show me where Bitcoin was hacked the first time.

Not a service, mind you - Bitcoin. The protocol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I decided to cash my handful of bitcoins today at $192 per coin. I'm hoping this bubble will pop at around $200 and come back down to more reasonable price levels.

If not though I've got another 1.5 coins just in case this keeps rising to ludicrous price levels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
$200 is a psychological barrier.  If it doesn't break through w/ momentum I spect it will stagnate briefly then will drop a good deal when people realize the peak is here and it is time to cash out.  

Course, there are a bunch of people waiting to buy at X dollars so that will be a floor....

maybe just wishful thinking...
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
$200 is a psychological barrier.  If it doesn't break through w/ momentum I spect it will stagnate briefly then will drop a good deal when people realize the peak is here and it is time to cash out.  

Course, there are a bunch of people waiting to buy at X dollars so that will be a floor....

Yeah, a lot of people thought that at 100 as well...
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#23]
So how much money could I make from having my GPU "mine"
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Just read that "mining" on your own is worthless, you need to be in a "pool". OP are you part of one?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Mined since 2011. Stupidly sold 1000BTC at 20, and all but 500 around 130.

I figure I'll hold onto the 500 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The market also isn't guided by speculation anywhere near as much as the stock market. I have a very thorough theory that I'm going to keep to myself for the time being, but the reason BTC is skyrocketing is they're all being bought up. Not for investment, either. It's for Gold.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta love this.

I've been in the bitcoin game for quite a while. I remember the pre Mt. Gox days, like it were yesterday... I also remember a huge ass scandal where nearly 200 billion BTC were "counterfeited".

For a while my power bill was more than my mortgage, with all of the mining I did. In the end, I found that mining simply wasn't worth it. With the cost of power and equipment, I was only getting around $1200 a month in 'profits', and it took a long ass time for the equipment to pay for itself. Mining would really only be good, if you had a way to get the equipment cheap and had cheap power, or if you were a "cyber terrorist hacker" and used a server farm or a botnet.

In before experts, who have been doing it for 5 weeks since they read an article in Wired, refute my claims.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The market also isn't guided by speculation anywhere near as much as the stock market. I have a very thorough theory that I'm going to keep to myself for the time being, but the reason BTC is skyrocketing is they're all being bought up. Not for investment, either. It's for Gold.

There's some weird shit going on, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gotta love this.

I've been in the bitcoin game for quite a while. I remember the pre Mt. Gox days, like it were yesterday... I also remember a huge ass scandal where nearly 200 billion BTC were "counterfeited".

For a while my power bill was more than my mortgage, with all of the mining I did. In the end, I found that mining simply wasn't worth it. With the cost of power and equipment, I was only getting around $1200 a month in 'profits', and it took a long ass time for the equipment to pay for itself. Mining would really only be good, if you had a way to get the equipment cheap and had cheap power, or if you were a "cyber terrorist hacker" and used a server farm or a botnet.

In before experts, who have been doing it for 5 weeks since they read an article in Wired, refute my claims.

yeah, and it is now twice as hard an will get exponentially harder now that over half the coins have been mined.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta love this.

yeah, and it is now twice as hard an will get exponentially harder now that over half the coins have been mined.

But the value of a block of 50 coins mined at $10/coin is what compared to the value of a block of 25 coins mined at 180/coin?

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few people are using bitcoins for Gold.....

Around April of 2011, I had 15,000 bitcoins. Trading BTC is the way to go, I spent/cashed out all but 1000 of them and sold like an idiot later at $8 a pop, because I thought a bubble was imminent. It ended up peaking at $30 before, bubbling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL bitcoin. It's going to fail or someone will hack it once again. It's no better or worse than the FR. Fiat is always fiat regardless of the medium.

The best part - people want to exchange it for a useful currency like the dollar.

"again"?

How would you like your crow?
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures#CVE-2010-5139

Obviously the vulnerability has been fixed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"again"?

How would you like your crow?
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures#CVE-2010-5139

Obviously the vulnerability has been fixed.

He is correct.  That wasn't a flaw with Bitcoin or the protocol.  It was a flaw in the implementation of one of the wallets.z
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around April of 2011, I had 15,000 bitcoins. Trading BTC is the way to go, I spent/cashed out all but 1000 of them and sold like an idiot later at $8 a pop, because I thought a bubble was imminent. It ended up peaking at $30 before, bubbling.

How do you know what people are using Bitcoins for?

I happen to know two major "investors" who dumped all of it into Liberty Reserve/Fastcash for bullion.

I also know there's a lot more than just that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gotta love this.

I suppose if you don't understand how it works, then you'd be right.

But... you're wrong. Had you kept your bitcoins, your profit would have probably paid off your mortgage. You either didn't grasp the concept or potential, and parrot the "It was too expensive to mine, and barely made any profit," or you admit you simply sold too early. Either way, blaming the system, or claiming it's not profitable? That's very naive considering what BTC is at right now, for those of us that held on to ours. Not to mention the fact we have no clue where it is going. A year from now, they could be 500-1000 for all we know. They could also be worth nothing.

Mining Bitcoins is a risk. You minimize the risk by selling immediately like you apparently chose to do. I'd say hindsight would suggest that wasn't necessarily the best path, and telling others it's not profitable isn't particularly fair.

Had you saved 1000, 2000, or even 10k BTC (whatever you could have made since you started so early at such a low difficulty,) you'd have hundreds of thousands of dollars. Pretty sure that doesn't exceed your power bill. It's all about time frame, and your time frame wasn't conducive to profit realization.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#36]

nice reference to the tulip bubble.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh, DUDE.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#38]
for people who don't know....

you can run a dedicated Linux OS devoted to mining bitcoins....more info:

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

well, so much for that theory.    Trading at $238 now
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know what people are using Bitcoins for?

I happen to know two major "investors" who dumped all of it into Liberty Reserve/Fastcash for bullion.

I also know there's a lot more than just that.

Yes, there are "investors" out there. There are also "customers" and "businesses" out there, which probably take up 2/3 of the bitcoin market.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#41]
This getting interesting now:  Hit $240.00

There are some happy minors and speculators.  I wonder how many will take profit now?   How big can this bubble get?
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta love this.

I suppose if you don't understand how it works, then you'd be right.

But... you're wrong. Had you kept your bitcoins, your profit would have probably paid off your mortgage. You either didn't grasp the concept or potential, and parrot the "It was too expensive to mine, and barely made any profit," or you admit you simply sold too early. Either way, blaming the system, or claiming it's not profitable? That's very naive considering what BTC is at right now, for those of us that held on to ours. Not to mention the fact we have no clue where it is going. A year from now, they could be 500-1000 for all we know. They could also be worth nothing.

Mining Bitcoins is a risk. You minimize the risk by selling immediately like you apparently chose to do. I'd say hindsight would suggest that wasn't necessarily the best path, and telling others it's not profitable isn't particularly fair.

Had you saved 1000, 2000, or even 10k BTC (whatever you could have made since you started so early at such a low difficulty,) you'd have hundreds of thousands of dollars. Pretty sure that doesn't exceed your power bill. It's all about time frame, and your time frame wasn't conducive to profit realization.

Unless you've got loads of cheap power and cheap  high quality hardware, mining is hardly worth it. It's also likely that a bubble will hit soon, and it always takes quite a while for it to pick up steam again. If you're dumping tons of money into mining equipment now, you run a great risk of having your dick in the wind with expensive hardware that's only paid pennies on the dollar for itself. As far as understanding it goes, I completely understand it. I've just found better ways of income.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are some happy minors and speculators.  I wonder how many will take profit now?   How big can this bubble get?

I dumped the 100 BTC I had at $220. I'd say the bubble is rapidly approaching.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to finish my registration at mt.gox so that when it collapses to $3.45/btc i can BUY BUY BUY!  
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to finish my registration at mt.gox so that when it collapses to $3.45/btc i can BUY BUY BUY!  

Should have had that done a year ago.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have had that done a year ago.

Oh I know it.  A year ago it was trading at $4.90.

Had I invested $1k, that's nearly $50,000 right now.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#47]
What is this wizardry?  I was told about it when it was like $15, thought it was stupid then, still think it is a bit stupid, but maybe it is just me that is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What is this wizardry?  I was told about it when it was like $15, thought it was stupid then, still think it is a bit stupid, but maybe it is just me that is stupid.

This is how I'm starting to see it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Downloaded the client and waiting for it to sync. I know I'm probably not going to see much of a return if any, and I haven't done all the research that should be done, but it will be an interesting little side thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It isn't wizardry.
It's an almost unforgeable  trade item that mimics digital state currencies now being used.

It's become a bubble because people are desperate to put their money someplace that has a decent return and where it won't be stolen by the market or the state.

I call it a bubble because far more people are buying it for an investment than using it as money.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top