BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:55:07 PM EDT
How long ya been mining or trading?

How big is your stockpile?

Bought an ASIC rig yet?

Did you double up on morning wood last week?

Discuss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mining for a little over a month...Wish I woulda got in sooner.

Not a very big stockpile. I'm mostly mining alt-coins like LTC.

Will buy an ASIC this year if it all goes well. Looking at investing in multi-GPU farms for scrypt-based hashing

Good to see the market rising, and more people getting into BTC and LTC

Its great to meet a group of people that generally loathe Obama, and want to contribute to the destruction of the federal reserve.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Will buy an ASIC this year if it all goes well. Looking at investing in multi-GPU farms for scrypt-based hashing

Its great to meet a group of people that generally loathe Obama, and want to contribute to the destruction of the federal reserve.

Nice! Details on your rig and hashrate? I am pretty casual. Mining at home with a 7970 and 5750 getting upwards of 800 MH/s at full tilt. I pre-ordered a Jalapeno when BTC was at around $68. I don't ever expect to see it, it is more of a hobby to me than anything else. I actually get most of my coins value added.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Bitcoin looks bubbley,
Which one is it best to get into now?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bitcoin looks bubbley,
Which one is it best to get into now?

Stick to Bitcoin but mine Litecoin on the sade and trade them for BTC whenever possible.

Also, it is not a bad idea to diversify and head over to BTC-TC and buy shares/bonds with some of your existing coinage as long as you are decent at detecting scams.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice! Details on your rig and hashrate? I am pretty casual. Mining at home with a 7970 and 5750 getting upwards of 800 MH/s at full tilt. I pre-ordered a Jalapeno when BTC was at around $68. I don't ever expect to see it, it is more of a hobby to me than anything else. I actually get most of my coins value added.

I don't have anything notable right now (7770 @ 150 khash), but I'm
working on building a dedicated rig with 4 or 5x7950s. That should get
between 2.4-3.0 mhash, depending on how many cards I use. I'm working with a few other people to build a mining co-op - They pay for stations/cards, while I host, provide power, and set up. Depending on funding, I may be able to scale up pretty quickly and get >10mhash pretty quickly.

BTW, BFL announced they are shipping soon, albeit delivering inferior units than what they promised. So that's a good thing.        
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have anything notable right now (7770 @ 150 khash), but I'm working on building a dedicated rig with 4 or 5x7950s. That should get between 2.4-3.0 mhash, depending on how many cards I use. I'm working with a few other people to build a mining co-op - They pay for stations/cards, while I host, provide power, and set up. Depending on funding, I may be able to scale up pretty quickly and get >10mhash pretty quickly.

BTW, BFL announced they are shipping soon, albeit delivering inferior units than what they promised. So that's a good thing.        

Yeah I saw that, but I am way down the line, so hoping that by the time my unit ships they will have some bugs worked out. Also considering selling my spot in line now that shipping is confirmed, or trading spot+cash with someone. THe latter I find very very attractive since I am so casual about the whole thing, but want to be somewhat futureproof at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
So I take it that few others really care about alternate currencies, eh? 3 unique posters.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I take it that few others really care about alternate currencies, eh? 3 unique posters.

Kind of blows my mine this thread hasn't been hit like a screen door in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Every time I hear "Bitcoin" I think "Cryptonomicon."
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of blows my mine this thread hasn't been hit like a screen door in a hurricane.

It's too new and most here are too old.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
semi-dupe: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1460033_Bitcoin___What_says_the_hive_.html

Mined back in 2011 but not lately, not worth the hassle.  I would check the numbers very closely if starting mining now, margins are low.  Basically I think if you're not high on the ASIC waiting lists then the difficulty will have adjusted by the time you get them, and will take quite a while to pay off.  This price rise does help though.

In the past have bought using Mt Gox and Coinbase.  If the bubble bursts then I may buy more (just the money I usually put into other PMs or ammo each month).  Of course that might be shortsighted too if eventually each BTC is worth much more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Not popping apparently. Bought some silver with some of my mined monopoly money today at Amagi Metals. They take BTC direct ;)
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoping it hits $200 and then I'll sell most of what I have.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't use them at McDonald's or Wal*Mart.

So GD has no use for them...yet.

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't use them at McDonald's or Wal*Mart.

So GD has no use for them...yet.

You are growing on me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate this thread.  Sadly, I just learned about bit coins during the Cypruss Fiasco.  If I only had learned of htem a week or two sooner I could have bought at like $50.  I keep waiting for it to go down, I just say it is at $157!  But my interest in it is as a currency & a means to defeat the banks & deficit spending governments, not as a speculative investment.  

I think that bit coin will partially, maybe totally replace the gov/central bank monopoly currencies, particularly for remote transactions.  Might be hard w/ the legal tender laws, unless there is a way for a third party to hold and transfer bit coins upon completion of  a future's contract for longer term contracts but everyting about it, except for its current volatility is awesome.  

I hope that it will come down to <$100, if  so I will sock away a few.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am waiting for this.  Right now the bubble is making bit coin extremely deflationary since everyone would rather hold and wait than spend them on products/services.  This uptrend has to have a correction.  I think in the long term it will see general adoption, but I think that even now it is it still to nichy to go up w/o a break.

I hope so anyway
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am waiting for this.  Right now the bubble is making bit coin extremely deflationary since everyone would rather hold and wait than spend them on products/services.  This uptrend has to have a correction.  I think in the long term it will see general adoption, but I think that even now it is it still to nichy to go up w/o a break.

I hope so anyway

Meh. That is why I bought silver with some of mine today. I try to spend a bit here and there whenever ANYTHING is down against it. Though based on my last purchase a month or so ago, I am betting I blow half my wallet right before it charges ahead of gold.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
And frankly there is no reason for anyone who has even remotely efficient equipment (GDIAF Nvidia people) to not be mining. I quit playing video games and just let my miner run on the pool and I haven't noticed a difference in my power usage. The key is just turning some other nonsense off in favor of this nonsense.

ETA: And even if you have shit hardware, no reason not to mine Litecoin and just convert it to Bitcoin. My daughter is having a great time mining Litecoin with her shitty box and seeing actual dollars come in. If anything get your kids into it, because this, or something like it, is most certainly not going away.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And frankly there is no reason for anyone who has even remotely efficient equipment (GDIAF Nvidia people) to not be mining. I quit playing video games and just let my miner run on the pool and I haven't noticed a difference in my power usage. The key is just turning some other nonsense off in favor of this nonsense.

ETA: And even if you have shit hardware, no reason not to mine Litecoin and just convert it to Bitcoin. My daughter is having a great time mining Litecoin with her shitty box and seeing actual dollars come in. If anything get your kids into it, because this, or something like it, is most certainly not going away.

Is litecoin affiliated with bitcoin?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand, only in that it is a crypto-currency. There are quite a few out there. Litecoin is the easiest to exchange for Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
bump
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand, only in that it is a crypto-currency. There are quite a few out there. Litecoin is the easiest to exchange for Bitcoin.

Well I tried to set it up, couldn't get all files to sync up.  I guess windows spoiled me with a double click to make everything work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there an arfcom pool to join?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen you in the other threads, but I"ll check it here.

I don't mine, but I've been running my new-ish Macbook Pro at night to mine Litecoin - getting about 45 Khash/sec on its i7 - not awesome, but better than nothing. I'm making about a coin a week doing nothing, through a mining pool.

Oh, and I'm an Anarcho-Capitalist. I got into Bitcoin first in about May 2011, and sold on the way up in the first bubble. Made a few hundred USD, and regretted it, even after the crash. I've bought a bit here and there since then, and see Bitcoin as both a long-term investment and a potential means to bring down the state via income starvation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there a now GD thread about this? I would love to learn more as I just heard about it and am always up for a good fucking of the federal government.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, after hearing about all of this, I figure I might as well give LiteCoin a try. Would a dedicated gaming rig I built awhile back work well enough for it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]
ill just keep watching and slowlystart hating myself more over time thank you very much.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn!  up to $177 now.   hope it comes down so I can buy...

FYI, charles schumer says bitcoin is "unconstitutional"  I think that is the first time he EVER used that word.  Also, fuck schumer and fuck the gov enforced currency monopolies he desperately supports
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FYI, charles schumer says bitcoin is "unconstitutional"  I think that is the first time he EVER used that word.  Also, fuck schumer and fuck the gov enforced currency monopolies he desperately supports

LULZ

I'd really love to hear the explanation that it's unconstitutional. Didn't railroad companies/mining companies pay their workers in company-made chits or something a long long time ago? Never heard of those being unconstitutional...
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone have luck joining pools with the litecoin client?

I can solo mine fine with it, but the client keeps saying "Miner failed to start. Make sure you have the minerd executable and libraries in the same directory as Litecoin-Qt." whenever I try using the pooled mining function.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LULZ

I'd really love to hear the explanation that it's unconstitutional. Didn't railroad companies/mining companies pay their workers in company-made chits or something a long long time ago? Never heard of those being unconstitutional...

what chuckie doesn't understand is the the constitution doesn't limit people, it limits what .gov can do.  There is no such thing as a private action of a private citizen that is "unconstitutional".  Fucking retard.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Does the LiteCoin program have a built in miner?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my excuse  - too busy raising kids and trying to work for a living to get into weird computer hobbies like this.  not hating, go ahead and knock yourself out.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I wanted to get into this a couple years ago, and pretty much found out that I'd need 2x 6870's in Crossfire to even be competitive. I just didn't have the money to spend on it at the time - I know some people make their money back and even get enough to build a dedicated PC to mine (and sell it at $90% later), but I just decided I was getting into that hobby too late.

Has anyone here done well in the last 2 years? I'm just curious since I gave up and didn't really try, I want to torture myself reading about how much I missed out!
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LULZ

what chuckie doesn't understand is the the constitution doesn't limit people, it limits what .gov can do.  There is no such thing as a private action of a private citizen that is "unconstitutional".  Fucking retard.

Yeah, if he's saying it's "unconstitutional" because we're not "allowed" to "mint" currency, where in the fuck does it say who can/can't mint currency? Because last I checked, banks all used to mint their own gold-backed currency until the Federal Reserve took that over.....

Which, while much more convenient than having to convert currency from one city to another, doesn't strike me as a whole lot more legal/legit than private banks/entities doing it again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL bitcoin. It's going to fail or someone will hack it once again. It's no better or worse than the FR. Fiat is always fiat regardless of the medium.

The best part - people want to exchange it for a useful currency like the dollar.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL bitcoin. It's going to fail or someone will hack it once again. It's no better or worse than the FR. Fiat is always fiat regardless of the medium.

The best part - people want to exchange it for a useful currency like the dollar.

Hold a dollar for a year and you have, at best, 90 cents of actual purchasing power compared to before.
Anyone who holds cash is fool. Rapidly convertible liquid assets of any kind are where it's at.

All that said, Bitcoin is a huge bubble right now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FYI, charles schumer says bitcoin is "unconstitutional"  I think that is the first time he EVER used that word.  Also, fuck schumer and fuck the gov enforced currency monopolies he desperately supports.

Gun grabber, pawn of the banksters, loves foreign welfare over America's well being...

Total scum.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#40]
bump
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I should have bought in two weeks ago when it went from $70 to $90, then dumped it all yesterday when it cross $170.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there's a bit of truth to that.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#45]
So... uhh...

How the hell do you post on the bitcoin forum?  

I registered, and logged in, but I can't see where to post a new topic.

I'm having trouble.  When I click "start mining" all my cpu cores clock to 100%, even though they arent under load.

That's a problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I need to set it up and start mining.  My PC stays on 24/7 so when I'm not using it I could at least be mining.  I'm still not sure how many will adopt it but it does seem to be growing.  I'm also hesitant to put too much into it due to possible government intervention.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone have luck joining pools with the litecoin client?

I can solo mine fine with it, but the client keeps saying "Miner failed to start. Make sure you have the minerd executable and libraries in the same directory as Litecoin-Qt." whenever I try using the pooled mining function.

Got the same exact thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Where do you get the lite or full miner?  Where do you sign up for this stuff?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

First you download bitcoin link

Let it sync, it will take several hours.

Then you get a miner.  I'm just getting started doing this.  There is  cgminer (I'm using this) and guiminer

Theres lots of others too.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First you download bitcoin link

Let it sync, it will take several hours.

Then you get a miner.  I'm just getting started doing this.  There is  cgminer (I'm using this) and guiminer

Theres lots of others too.

What's the minimum cpu power you can get away with for mining?

I have an older laptop that's sitting and a free port in the house modem.
As long as it's using less electricity than profit, I can let it run and forget about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top