Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/29/2013 5:29:48 PM EDT
One of my childhood friends added me on LinkedIn and it appears he is now a GM of a fairly large Dodge dealership.

I always thought he would have wound up drinking buckets of paint for carnival sideshows, but I guess his dad let him into the family business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going with either way too much, or not nearly enough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends; if he's a family member I'm going to say 150,000 to 200,000. Once he's in charge after his dad is gone, probably around 300,000 if he keeps his expenses in line.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Depends; if he's a family member I'm going to say 150,000 to 200,000. Once he's in charge after his dad is gone, probably around 300,000 if he keeps his expenses in line.

Jesus - the car business is crooked.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
depends how much of a good liar, back-stabber and ass-kisser you are?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It really bothers me that the car business is as totally fucked as it is. I can't think of a single other business where the consumer is at such a disadvantage and always winds up being fucked.

If Apple, Samsung, Sony, or any other major manufacturer tried to fuck their customers as bad as Big Auto does, there would no congressional inquiries, lawsuits, and outright consumer revolt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
dealer GM makes way too much.biggest dick in the dealer.  takes everything the working men in the back make.  nazi MFers
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Some are that way, but a lot are honest and genuinely take care of their customers. I worked at one store for 25 yrs as the Svc Mgr and had lots of 2nd and third generation customers.
Then their are others that change their name about every 6 months to another generic name and run thru employees and customers like a stump grinder.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Extremely high stress job with a six figure income at a manufacturer dealership.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It really bothers me that the car business is as totally fucked as it is. I can't think of a single other business where the consumer is at such a disadvantage and always winds up being fucked.

If Apple, Samsung, Sony, or any other major manufacturer tried to fuck their customers as bad as Big Auto does, there would no congressional inquiries, lawsuits, and outright consumer revolt.

From someone in the funeral industry, the funeral industry can fuck you way harder than any car salesman ever could.

I'm on the low end of fair and competitive, but I know many firms who charge 3x and 4x what we charge for the same services and you get the bonus of dealing with window lickers while being raped.

For the love of your chosen entity, please do your homework ahead of time when it comes to final disposition of your remains.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of my childhood friends added me on LinkedIn and it appears he is now a GM of a fairly large Dodge dealership.

I always thought he would have wound up drinking buckets of paint for carnival sideshows, but I guess his dad let him into the family business.

Being a GM at a dealership is typically a short-term job.  If sales dip for any reason the GM is usually the first one out the door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I had always heard that if a dealership is run right then the actual sale of a car is very low profit. All the profit is in the service, parts, and accessories end of it.

But I heard this about 20 years ago so things might have changed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm told the finance guys at dealerships make good money too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is just simply incorrect in every way. If you're mad about used car prices, just think about how many got crushed, taken apart, or tossed due to LEGISLATION.

Otherwise, I don't really get your complaint. There are still (despite the .gov) other dealerships and my personal favorite, private sales.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The GM at the Mercedes-Benz dealer I work for is making $500k, give or take.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you understand quite what is involved. all the shit lands on the GM from all departments, service, parts, detail, new and used. when ever things get f'd up the GM has to make it right... AND answer to the owner. they'll come in and blow the GM out if sales numbers are lower then they imagined they would be.

they make good money, but it comes at a cost and that shit can be f'd up.

I worked 3 years in a dealer as a tech. our GM was actually a pretty cool guy. the intermediate managers were the dicks. talk about passing the buck. warranty clerk would F' up and they'd back flag us, so they could keep the numbers where they wanted.

the one's who make more then their worth are easily in sales... especially used car sales. every one I've met was a sleazy dirt bag.

I wouldn't want to be a GM. I run my own repair shop now. I can't imagine dealing with more then the few employee's I have..
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had always heard that if a dealership is run right then the actual sale of a car is very low profit. All the profit is in the service, parts, and accessories end of it.

That's what the sales manager tells you, after telling you he's losing money on the deal he is bending you over with.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actual sale of the new car is low profit. Trade in resale, F&I, warranties, prepaid maintenance etc... Generate pretty good profit. Service, parts and Body can be great profit centers but you'd be surprised at how many don't that should.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is just simply incorrect in every way. If you're mad about used car prices, just think about how many got crushed, taken apart, or tossed due to LEGISLATION.

Otherwise, I don't really get your complaint. There are still (despite the .gov) other dealerships and my personal favorite, private sales.

Bullshit. I don't have to sit down and haggle over the price of my Pop-Tarts with some slackjawed yahoo in a tie, nor do I ever have to have some retard over at Best Buy "run the numbers" on the Television I am buying. Instead, I can just purchase the product I want without any high pressure sales tactics and/or feeling like I am being fucked sideways the entire time.

Furthermore, the price I pay is usually the price listed. Sure, I an get things cheaper with a coupon or go to Store X instead of Store Y, but neither place ever has complicated pricing schemes designed to intentionally hide the true price.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actual sale of the new car is low profit. Trade in resale, F&I, warranties, prepaid maintenance etc... Generate pretty good profit. Service, parts and Body can be great profit centers but you'd be surprised at how many don't that should.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I worked at a GM dealership and they viewed parts and service as a necessary evil. My Dad was the Body shop foreman and it stymied the upper management how no matter how they tried to pencil whip the figures, the body shop still made money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I fucking long for the day when some multi-billion dollar conglomerate gets into the retail business of cars and Wal-Marts the shit out of the industry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Here in contra costa county

GM makes 700k to 1.5 mil depending on the type of cars selling.

GSM will make 2/300k

Used car manager 120/300k

A good service manager will make 150/300k

A good service writer will make 90/200k

A good detailer 10 bucks a hour.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
It can vary greatly but between 75-150k is the norm in this area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

GSM will make 2/300k

See - This is totally out of whack. Would you see the same sort of salaries in ANY OTHER retail environment on the face of the fucking planet? No.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Family makes A LOT more than non-family.  

GM is a very important position, but it is there to ensure that the ownership family profits, so by paying him more than an "off the street", it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know -- I really appreciate a good middleman and am willing to pay for that.  My insurance agents have gotten me excellent policies and have worked with my estate planning and business to keep up with it.  I am willing to pay for good car service -- why not someone who actually knows the several thousand ways to configure an F150 and will keep up with recalls?  Now, paying a lot for incompetence, no.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

GSM will make 2/300k

See - This is totally out of whack. Would you see the same sort of salaries in ANY OTHER retail environment on the face of the fucking planet? No.

It reflects the hours and responsibilities.

The finance guys at my Acura dealer work Open-Close 6 days a week for a little more than I make, and their dick is ALWAYS on the block.  Last time I had my car in for something more than an oil change, they promised me a 4wd loaner because it was going to be a shitty snowy weekend.  Well, they didn't have MDX loaner ready when I showed up at 5:45 a.m. Friday morning.  So the GM calls the Finance manager on his day off to get his ass in there to prep me a demo MDX.  

Fuck that.

You should also see what the owners are making.  Makes the GM look like a pauper.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good finance manager at a decent size dealership will make $300K. GM at that same dealership will make $500K to $2MM+ depending on size.

Two types of people in the car business - those that have been fired, and those that are about to be
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GSM will make 2/300k

The finance guys at my Acura dealer work Open-Close 6 days a week for a little more than I make, and their dick is ALWAYS on the block.

Fuck that.

You should also see what the owners are making.  Makes the GM look like a pauper.

And I am certain the management at my local Whole Foods works long hours, too.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

GSM will make 2/300k

The finance guys at my Acura dealer work Open-Close 6 days a week for a little more than I make, and their dick is ALWAYS on the block.

Fuck that.

And I am certain the management at my local Whole Foods works long hours, too.

Selling overpriced food is a different ball of wax than selling overpriced Hondas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
At VW Porsche Audi I made 156,000 salary + bonuses.  I went to a highline used dealership and almost doubled that. But I was single then. I was there 30 min before the store opened and a handful of nights till midnight. Almost every hour the stores were open. 90% of the time 14 hour days. 6 days a week. In like 2008-2010 when things were rough I worked 6 days a week, and a few 7 days a week so like 21 days in a row. No time for lunch. Eat at desk if at all. Sooo many things going on at once can't even describe it.

And you wanna say car dealers crush people. Bullshit. I buy a 60k car put 1500 in it making it perfect and inspections and detail and then put it on the lot. My lot cost per car was about 600. That's how much expense (marketing, tax, bills) divided by units sold. Then make 3000 per car? Ok on a 60 car usually 4-4500 more then purchase price. Car also cost about $12 a day on the lot (interest on the money).

Apple and all those guys make 100% with little to nothing invested! I was investing 60k to make squat!
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good finance manager at a decent size dealership will make $300K. GM at that same dealership will make $500K to $2MM+ depending on size.

Two types of people in the car business - those that have been fired, and those that are about to be

I was never fired. When I resigned to work for my wife's employee benefit company they tried everything to get me to stay and have open offer to go back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I detect a lot of jealousy.  How OWS of you..........

Want to really blow your mind on how much you can make in the car industry???

Buy here / Pay here.........fuck over the FSA, act like a boss, set your own fucking hours, and if you do it right, you'll make big dealer GM money no problem.

The world isn't fair poink.  If you want to chase a dream, go for it.  The job isn't for everybody.  Not everyone has the stones for it.

Same can be said for my line of work.  I could easily be on wall street right now, but I found an interesting, and well-paying job with good hours and a lot of freedom and not having to deal with NYC (gets old fast), so I took that, and I'm happy.  And I'm happy for Joe Stockbroker, and I'm happy for the BMW GM in Springfield, and I'm happy for the hippy working the cheese counter at whole foods.

Better yet, who fucking cares?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]
For the people complaining about getting bent over at the dealership.. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy a new car. If you dont want to get raped do your homework ahead of time. Its really easy to find out what a dealership ACTUALLY pays for the car (including holdback and incentives). If you dont do your homework before hand its your own fault.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I fucking long for the day when some multi-billion dollar conglomerate gets into the retail business of cars and Wal-Marts the shit out of the industry.

What? Like Carmax?

I'm too tired and it's too late to explain to you how the market works with cars, real estate, etc.

Just because you've been conditioned to pay sticker on whatever it is your buying, doesn't mean the system doesn't work. Just the opposite.

If you're unhappy with your interactions, it simply means you've failed to learn rule number one in life; "Everything is negotiable."
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#35]
A GM is nothing more than a piece of shit used car salesman who hasn't been fired yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For the people complaining about getting bent over at the dealership.. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy a new car. If you dont want to get raped do your homework ahead of time. Its really easy to find out what a dealership ACTUALLY pays for the car (including holdback and incentives). If you dont do your homework before hand its your own fault.

this.......

I am sure the dealership made money off of my car (twice actually).

But I got a good deal both on the lease, and the eventual purchase.

I am happy and that is all that matters.  I feel like I got a better deal than anyone else, and knowing what I do, I am pretty certain that I did.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Buy here / Pay here.........fuck over the FSA, act like a boss, set your own fucking hours, and if you do it right, you'll make big dealer GM money no problem.

The world isn't fair poink.  If you want to chase a dream, go for it.  The job isn't for everybody.  Not everyone has the stones for it.

Same can be said for my line of work.  I could easily be on wall street right now, but I found an interesting, and well-paying job with good hours and a lot of freedom and not having to deal with NYC (gets old fast), so I took that, and I'm happy.  And I'm happy for Joe Stockbroker, and I'm happy for the BMW GM in Springfield, and I'm happy for the hippy working the cheese counter at whole foods.

Better yet, who fucking cares?[/quote

100 percent right. Buy here pay here is crazy. I have a few good friends in the biz. Lots of headaches dealing with trash but non the less buying explorers and shit all day long for 4k sell them for 8k not even cleaned up at 21% interest rate. Tax time they can't buy enough bad credit cars to keep everyone happy. I started in special fincance and that was bad enough.  The type where we did our leads from bankruptcy court stating how this will build your credit. Shady ass people. Taking cabs and stuff to the dealership. Most sales guys carried as this was right on the edge of Harrisburg.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
sounds like a bunch of managers in here.  those who cant do , manage  .too bad the guys who know it all cant do it all
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A GM is nothing more than a piece of shit used car salesman who hasn't been fired yet.

Wow. lol. Spoken like a once bitten twice shy salesman who's been fired in the usual salesman way. "You aren't making me money, so you're a drain. GTFO."
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Like Carmax?

I'm too tired and it's too late to explain to you how the market works with cars, real estate, etc.

Just because you've been conditioned to pay sticker on whatever it is your buying, doesn't mean the system doesn't work. Just the opposite.

If you're unhappy with your interactions, it simply means you've failed to learn rule number one in life; "Everything is negotiable."

Carmax is overpriced shit.

But those guys are great for test-driving everything in the category that you are looking at.

I can go in, drive a 3 series, IS350, S4, TL-S, etc, etc all in one shot without having to play the whole bullshit game with the sales dude at each dealership, and have them bugging me on followup calls all day for the next month while I'm trying to have business meetings with important people.

Fucking stupid carmax dopes let me rag on a 911 without beating an eye when I was looking at little SUV's for the wife.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Some people fail upwards.

Thats how CEOs are made.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
sounds like a bunch of managers in here.  those who cant do , manage  .too bad the guys who know it all cant do it all

says the 13er
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Better yet, who fucking cares?Th

I give two shits if someone makes more than I do. I do alright, and I see people who have waaaayyyy more than I do on a regular basis. That's not the point.

I'm just saying that the auto industry is the most crooked business out there. Hell, buying product off of a drug dealer isn't nearly as sketch as buying a car.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

wat

STFU and read for six months. Then post about things you are sure of. If you still get booted or you hate the site, then it was never meant to be from the get-go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]
CarMax buys so many cars they move cars that had a lot more problems. When I would go to bid sales or auctions inspecting every car thourogly and there buyers look at vin and mileage and make a bid on 10 cars without looking past that. That's when shit slips through the cracks and u end up selling cars that have negitive issues
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Carmax is overpriced shit.

Precisely.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got a friend that's just a sales manager for a decent sized Toyota dealership.  He makes 120K a year.  I'd imagine the GM is making 160K to 200K a year.  When I wrote service for a GM dealership I was making 65K to 75K a year for just writing shit on a piece of paper and giving it to the techs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better yet, who fucking cares?Th

I give two shits if someone makes more than I do. I do alright, and I see people who have waaaayyyy more than I do on a regular basis. That's not the point.

I'm just saying that the auto industry is the most crooked business out there. Hell, buying product off of a drug dealer isn't nearly as sketch as buying a car.

No.  There are businesses that are far more crooked.  

Medical services
Some forms of corporate financing
Parking concessions
Towing services
Body shops
Wholesale petroleum
Defense Contractors
Retail securities trading
Refuse and garbage hauling
Union labor
Cocksucker lawyers
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got a friend that's just a sales manager for a decent sized Toyota dealership.  He makes 120K a year.  I'd imagine the GM is making 160K to 200K a year.  When I wrote service for a GM dealership I was making 65K to 75K a year for just writing shit on a piece of paper and giving it to the techs.

Hours?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#50]
The salary list posted earlier is WAY overstating the typical salaries.

There are family owned dealerships that have a brand or two, then there's the bigger local chains, then there's the giant chains like Penske etc.
You can make good money in the car biz, but it's not as if you don't have to work for it. The locally owned dealerships are far less likely to f you on a deal.

Fixed price cars? That worked out great for Saturn, didn't it?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top