Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:26:38 AM EDT
Hey all, I have 2 80% lowers I have just sitting here and have never done this before. I do not have a drill press or anything yet and have been gathering information and watching a bunch of vids on this lately. I am a guy that won't even touch these things until I literally know everything and have the best route/ tools to use basically.

So, I am wondering if any of you all can point me to what would be the best drill press for doing this? I watched this video in depth last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUfcxnDSWg

This vid (and others I have seen) are good but I think a lot of these guys in these vids just assume we all know drill presses. I literally know 0 about drill presses.

The guy on this vid talks about heavy duty drill presses and the "light weight" one he is using in this vid. I would like to know what a "heavy duty" one would run price wise. If that is ridiculous in price, then I would like to know what is the actual drill press I should use for this. I am talking model numbers and price.

I am turning this over to all of you with experience with the 80% lower milling. I am ideally looking for one that has a digital readout and hopefully not rigged up like the one the guy has in this vid. I am looking to drop $500 or less. Can I get one that is robust enough for this job with an onboard digital readout for $500 or less?

Again, thanks for any replies you all can give me!
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
So really, I am just looking for a good drill press with a digital readout on board that will be sufficient to hold all of the bits etc that are needed to mill out an 80% lower receiver.

I need to be $500.00 or less on whatever is recommended.

Any ideas anybody?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I borrowed a mill. I suggest you do the same. You don't need DRO, but it sure is nice.

Dang, I asked this to be moved to DIY, and it ended up in GD
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Six pages, three bans and a lock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You need a mill.  A drill press is for driling.  I know you can use a cross slide vice with a drill press, but they are not study enough.  You will get flex when you are side milling.  Try to find the HF mill that is in the video.  I have the MSC mill.  It cost me $1800 with shipping...  A decent vice is not to cheap either.  Plus you have the bits and collets to buy too.  You shoiuld also have a dail indicaror to square up the vice.  If everything is not square, you will be screwing up $180 in aluminum...  Just to get to where you can start milling, you will most likely be looking at $1000 in tools (including the mill) and that is for the lower end stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top