User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
Originally Posted By Undefined:

We may add other contribution levels in the future, and we will always give you the option to upgrade if another package comes out that you like

I'm with mw365 on this - there should be a level with a signed book that isn't $1000.

Well, the thinking was that (a) you can get a signed book at any time from survivalmonkey, and (b) most of our fans already have a book, and didn't want another one.  This is one we really struggled with.  We are looking in to a special edition (movie cover) copy of the book, and may have info on that in a few months.  

As you can imagine, it's incredibly difficult coming up with packages that appeal to everyone!  Sorry if we didn't hit the ideal one for you out of the gate.

OK, so you just talked me out of ~$30 for the signed book. I think a level in there with the autographed book and an autographed DVD would be awesome.

I am one of those 3 million downloads, and I am happy to contribute to Hallfast's royalties. Given the nature of this project, I think it would be great to have something that's symbolic of the collaboration. Just sayin.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mw365] [#2]
Originally Posted By Undefined:

We may add other contribution levels in the future, and we will always give you the option to upgrade if another package comes out that you like

I'm with mw365 on this - there should be a level with a signed book that isn't $1000.

Well, the thinking was that (a) you can get a signed book at any time from survivalmonkey, and (b) most of our fans already have a book, and didn't want another one.  This is one we really struggled with.  We are looking in to a special edition (movie cover) copy of the book, and may have info on that in a few months.  

As you can imagine, it's incredibly difficult coming up with packages that appeal to everyone!  Sorry if we didn't hit the ideal one for you out of the gate.

So I now have a $50 contribution and an autographed book on the way (thanks for the heads up).

If there was an autographed DVD/book set (special edition sounds nice!) at a somewhat higher price point, I'd be looking for an upgrade. Just saying....

ETA: the dreaded double tap, but you get the drift.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

one of the few books i've read that didn't have pictures or pop-ups
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
In!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nobodyg17:
movie series

Explain further.

Lights Out is 611 pages of fine print.  It's an epic story.  It could be shoved in to a single feature-length movie, but we don't feel that will do it justice.  We'd like to do a series.  While we're sponsored/authorized by the site, I'm hesitant to post any links that involve fundraising (out of respect to the owners here).  If we hit our fundraising goal - we're making two or more feature length movies out of the story.  See our website for more information

- Travis Fox (Exec Producer)

I watched the video. It felt the pitch video wasn't clear exactly what the goal was. Maybe I missed it. But the 1st thing should have been. "This indiegogo campaign is to fund a direct to DVD mini series"
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Excited to have a signed copy on the way!  

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
In! This is good news.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag as a reminder to see how much I can spare to donate.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this brightens my day quite a bit!

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Well this brightens my day quite a bit!

Glad to hear it!!  I appreciated your support last time, and would love to have it again!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Updates look good, what kind of help are you looking for?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Updates look good, what kind of help are you looking for?

(1) spread the word, share our links (facebook and website), and tell your friends!
(2) we can't talk about here, but hopefully is kind of obvious when you go to our IndieGoGo funding page
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm kinda slow but I figured it out. I hope it takes off!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh Yeah!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to talk to AMC if you want to launch this right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The series thing kinda worries me.  Too often things I like have part 1, then no conclusion because part 2 never gets made.

Or are you guys going with teh peter jackson film all three at once school of film?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
The series thing kinda worries me.  Too often things I like have part 1, then no conclusion because part 2 never gets made.

Or are you guys going with the peter jackson film all three at once school of film?

Yes .  We're shooting all footage this year at one time using the same cast, locations and crew.  Post production (editing) is the first time the content will separate.  That incurs a huge cost up front, which is what our current campaign is for.  It's the only way to do it right, though.  Otherwise you end up changing actors in between movies, locations look all different, etc.  We're also hiring expert crew, which incurs additional cost.  Did I mention we're doing this right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
This would be a dream come true!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By pseudojd:
This would be a dream come true!!!

Your avatar with that statement are freaking me out a little bit
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting...

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RetroRevolver77:
You need to talk to AMC if you want to launch this right.

Reference the movie errors thread from the Walking Dead, and then choke yourself     Just kidding!!!  

But seriously - when you do presales/joint production like they did with AMC, AMC basically takes control of your production.  They have made changes to the script while on set of WD, for example.  The only way to stay true to Lights Out is (a) produce it ourselves and then shop for the right distributor, and (b) accept no money from sponsors.  Money always comes with strings (control/approval).  We are following both of these rules, but that comes at a cost.  Hope that makes sense!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
I'm kinda slow but I figured it out. I hope it takes off!!!!!!!

I see that you figured it out.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]
WooHoo!

I have read the book twice, and was wanting a movie.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
WooHoo!

I have read the book twice, and was wanting a movie.

<grumpy cat> Read it again!! </grumpy cat>  

"a movie" is underachieving a bit, don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By basicone:
You guys rock!  Just wanted to say thanks for all the good words and the great launch last night.  Let's keep it going!  

So far I think the OBR votes have it

I'd like to see the FAL remain.
The whole line regarding the FAL would be changed.
Mark wouldn't be able to get an OBR from his friends with the gun shop for safe keeping and a wink for one thing, another would be stocking cheap mags. I know, I know nick picking.
I think keeping the diversity of arms is one of the really appealling aspects of the book, the sheriff has an M1A, the one couple on the access trail have a lever action cowboy gun, it resonates real time survival, not a Rawlins' account of a semi-paramilitary group that's been prepping for decades.

Just my .02....
I'm looking forward to the release.

This
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I know from previous threads that you are in the movie business.

Is this your first full production? If not, do you have any examples of previous work?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Gripy:
I don't think I saw a FAL in that teaser.   Karate Man uses a FAL.

Time - give us some .  We're still trying to figure out whether Karate Man could transition to a Larue OBR in 7.62.  Any thoughts?  

Whichever way you go can you keep some continuity on who has what guns?  One of the things in some of the prepper related shows is how everyone seems to have an unlimited number for guns of every make and model.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By MisterPX:

Or are you guys going with the peter jackson film all three at once school of film?

Yes .  We're shooting all footage this year at one time using the same cast, locations and crew.  Post production (editing) is the first time the content will separate.  That incurs a huge cost up front, which is what our current campaign is for.  It's the only way to do it right, though.  Otherwise you end up changing actors in between movies, locations look all different, etc.  We're also hiring expert crew, which incurs additional cost.  Did I mention we're doing this right?

Also solves part of the problem of kids growing up between movies. Some of the key characters in the book are kids.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rob762:
Originally Posted By basicone:
You guys rock!  Just wanted to say thanks for all the good words and the great launch last night.  Let's keep it going!  

So far I think the OBR votes have it

I'd like to see the FAL remain.
The whole line regarding the FAL would be changed.
Mark wouldn't be able to get an OBR from his friends with the gun shop for safe keeping and a wink for one thing, another would be stocking cheap mags. I know, I know nick picking.
I think keeping the diversity of arms is one of the really appealling aspects of the book, the sheriff has an M1A, the one couple on the access trail have a lever action cowboy gun, it resonates real time survival, not a Rawlins' account of a semi-paramilitary group that's been prepping for decades.

Just my .02....
I'm looking forward to the release.

This

So this is a fantastic example of the conversation we must have.  I could share 2,000 things about prop (weapon) selection that you simply don't care about.  Ultimately - you're right.  Diversity of arms is a key part of the story.  We must maintain it.  Thanks for reinforcing our priority on realism and sticking to the original story.  You guys are helping more than you know
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Chris0013:

Time - give us some .  We're still trying to figure out whether Karate Man could transition to a Larue OBR in 7.62.  Any thoughts?  

Whichever way you go can you keep some continuity on who has what guns?  One of the things in some of the prepper related shows is how everyone seems to have an unlimited number for guns of every make and model.

Yes - weapons will be permanently assigned to cast members, along with web gear and other props.  Nicely done

I have to tell you - it is incredibly refreshing to have this level of feedback and interest on the details!!  I spend a great deal of time getting these details "just right," and I'm incredibly passionate about the story of Lights Out.  It is awesome to have all of you critiquing our details. Seriously.  I'm going to have to bring some of you on set if you keep this up!!    Take me up on it.  Travel from wherever you live, and we'll get you engaged.  You can make a difference!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm very proud of David. This is huge and I hope I can contribute once my finances will allow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Awsome to see this happen. I'm in..
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Are you going to film in the San Antonio area?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 25Chuck:

Is this your first full production? If not, do you have any examples of previous work?

Not my first production.  My last production (executive producer, producer and production manager) was Remnants - starring Tom Sizemore.  It was not what I hoped for, but I could write a book on that.  The leadership team we've engaged comes straight from the set of The Walking Dead.  These people are serious.  They're not cheap, but they're worth it.  

By the way, I appreciate your challenge/question.  Seriously.  You're going to see a trailer in less than 3 weeks that makes you wet your pants.  Yep - wet your pants.  This is just the beginning, but hold me to it.  We're not playing!!  

- Travis
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:

Georgia.  Can you say 30% State rebate!?!  Sorry.  As much as it will kill you 'big hat' guys - the world will not revolve around Texas in the movie series
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Benefactor] [#37]
BlackFox, is the offer of the challenge coin  retroactive to those of us who contributed over $50 yesterday, or did I not notice the offer was there yesterday?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Not my first production.  My last production (executive producer, producer and production manager) was Remnants - starring Tom Sizemore.  It was not what I hoped for, but I could write a book on that.  The leadership team we've engaged comes straight from the set of The Walking Dead.  These people are serious.  They're not cheap, but they're worth it.  

By the way, I appreciate your challenge/question.  Seriously.  You're going to see a trailer in less than 3 weeks that makes you wet your pants.  Yep - wet your pants.  This is just the beginning, but hold me to it.  We're not playing!!  

- Travis

I didn't mean that in a snarky way, I swear.

I also did not mean it to sound like a challenge, however, if I am being asked to be an investor (albeit a very small one) I'd like to see evidence that you can produce awesome movies. I can't wait to see the trailer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I am happy to contribute and share on Facebook.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Falcon09:

Georgia.  Can you say 30% State rebate!?!  Sorry.  As much as it will kill you 'big hat' guys - the world will not revolve around Texas in the movie series

Well I guess the issue of available water for the characters won't be an issue then.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Benefactor:
BlackFox, is the offer of the challenge coin  retroactive to those of us who contributed over $50 yesterday, or did I not notice the offer was there yesterday?

You're in like Flynn
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Loved the book ! Can't wait
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#43]

- Travis

I didn't mean that in a snarky way, I swear.

I also did not mean it to sound like a challenge, however, if I am being asked to be an investor (albeit a very small one) I'd like to see evidence that you can produce awesome movies. I can't wait to see the trailer.

Seriously - I didn't take it as snarky!  I welcome it.  The great thing about such a scenario is that when you have nothing to hide - life gets to be a whole lot more fun .  You should question someone in such a venture.  Imagine you could talk to the producer of Red Dawn back in the 1980's.  Not that I compare myself to them, but let's play along - what would you challenge them with?  Bring on the tough questions.  Bring on the challenges!  I look forward to it!  (seriously)
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Be careful about getting too wrapped up in gun details.  That stuff becomes tedious for people who aren't deep into guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I hope you use the song "Lights Out" by the Angry Samoans.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:22:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CStoner] [#46]
I always thought the book would make a great movie. I was just thinking that 2-3 days ago.

I used to be a broadcast producer in San Diego and Dallas ( as well as other large markets ). Let me know if you need help promoting this in the media. The timing is perfect for it!

Be glad to assist.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:(placeholder)
I'm having problems falling asleep so I decided to make a nuisance of myself.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Oh yeah.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fluwoebers:

Be careful about getting too wrapped up in gun details.  That stuff becomes tedious for people who aren't deep into guns.

Yeah - that's something we think about.  We want to shy away from obsessing about makes and models in the dialogue, but as you've already seen here - we have to get the make and models correct for the gun guys .  That's going to be fun - particularly when we have to have multiple versions of every featured weapon (a dummy/rubber version or airsoft repilca, a blank firing version and potentially a live firing version).  We'll make sure it's right!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for $300.

I really want to see this happen.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top