Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Transplanted Texan
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:46:28 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I just got back home from a shopping trip with my wife. The last stop was at Walmart to pick up some sodas and dog food.

We were at the checkout behind a woman who had two overflowing shopping carts. She had a triple columned list of items written on a page from a spiral notebook, and was telling the clerk that everything on her list was being sold at a lower price at a competitor's grocery store. The woman was stating outlandishly low prices for every single item (example - 100 ounce Tide detergent for 99 cents, 24 pack of Coke for $1.29) and ended up paying about $75 for what was easily $400 worth of groceries. It was a very arduous process, as every item had to be scanned and manually overridden with the price that was claimed by this "customer".

When it was our turn to check out, I asked the clerk about this price match policy. She said that none of the cashiers are allowed to question the customer, and the customer does not have to produce any evidence that the item is actually on sale for a lower price elsewhere.

I was appalled. Honest folks pay for items as priced, or at best produce an advertisement copy that supports a lower price match. Dishonest scammers, however, can simply make stuff up and Walmart accepts it.

I am certain that the FSA is already well versed in this scam, but I had never seen it before. It is shameful that people game this system, and equally shameful that Walmart enables them to do so.

sixnine
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:48:14 PM
Wait til they get their next ammo shipment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Better to be a complete ass, than a half ass.
mongo001
Evil Machinist
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:48:48 PM
Sounds like another FSA stunt.
Thinking twice and posting once. Ya, right.........

Some guy named Darwin used to be in charge of QA, but he got fired.
zaskar017
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:49:15 PM
Write a letter to corporate?

Aw4g63
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:50:45 PM
Originally Posted By sixnine:

I'll be trying this. I don't give a fuck.
"My Rights Are Not Negotiable" - Condition Zero Clothing
YugoAK47
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:51:22 PM
This isn't how it works at most Walmarts. Cashiers are allowed to question what the customer is claiming and a sup can and does check against legit ads.
FrankDrebin
Police Squad
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:52:37 PM
Sweet info. I can't wait to pick up some .223 at 2003 prices ... When it's back in stock.
Chesh97
si vis pacem, para bellum
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:52:48 PM

Originally Posted By Bud:

When it was our turn to check out, I asked the clerk about this price match policy. She said that none of the cashiers are allowed to question the customer, and the customer does not have to produce any evidence that the item is actually on sale for a lower price elsewhere.

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years, and if the pricing was what we that was way off, we would require an ad. No way I'm selling tide for .99 or a case of pop for 1.29. I'd have gotten fired if I price overrode that much of a difference.
*** NRA Endowment Life Member***
mp_moody
Kiddo
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:52:58 PM
From what I understand customers are supposed to have legit ads, receipts, etc. I work retail (not Walmart) and this is how we do it. I'll have retards try to quote me low prices without any proof too.
"Please do not refer other members as cum dumpsters and peter puffers." -Aimless
focus8
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:53:18 PM
Uhmmm. In a capitalist country more power to them if Walmart is that stupid.
P08
WAIT FOR IT!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:53:33 PM
Oh hell yeah! I'm going to get a pressure washer for $1!
He said "Yes you did" I said "No I didn't" she said "Yes you did" then I said "Nuh uh" they said "Uh huh" then I said, If it is gonna be that kind of party I'm stickin my dick in the mashed potatoes.
TokerM
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:54:53 PM
Excuse me, Mr. Cashier, but that Colt LE 6940 is on sale for $299 down the street. Ring that up please, kthanksIloveyoubyebye.
jlphoy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:55:35 PM
That's just great. As if the lines at Walmart don't move slow enough already. Now I get to stand behind some fat FSA fuck and listen to them regale the cashier with tales of practically free stuff on sale at Bob's Wonder Barn of Magically Cheap Goods.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, just like standing in a garage doesn't make you a car.
Hunter-Killer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:02 PM
Originally Posted By TokerM:
Excuse me, Mr. Cashier, but that Colt LE 6940 is on sale for $299 down the street. Ring that up please, kthanksIloveyoubyebye.

Seriously.
abtex1
that. just. happened.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:12 PM
Originally Posted By focus8:

Uhmmmm Derp what the OP posted has nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with fraud.
AZBADBOY
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:42 PM
I'm guessing said cashier knew the customer. Employees steel more in terms of money than all customers combined.
Bud
Transplanted Texan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:44 PM
Originally Posted By jlphoy:
That's just great. As if the lines at Walmart don't move slow enough already. Now I get to stand behind some fat FSA fuck and listen to them regale the cashier with tales of practically free stuff on sale at Bob's Wonder Barn of Magically Cheap Goods.

Exactly what I endured this afternoon.
bagofcrabs65
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:57:01 PM
AAFES(military PX's ect..) Have price match also..but they require proof..and generally online ads need not apply...
chmodx
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:57:38 PM
The mere fact I have morals and ethics is exactly why I will never do what that cunt did.
FrankDrebin
Police Squad
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:57:45 PM
Originally Posted By TokerM:

Maybe on 2 for 1 deal. The place down the street from me as the for $189 a piece.
Victor9er
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:58:21 PM
[Last Edit: 3/16/2013 4:58:59 PM by Victor9er]
Originally Posted By Chesh97:

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years, and if the pricing was what we that was way off, we would require an ad. No way I'm selling tide for .99 or a case of pop for 1.29. I'd have gotten fired if I price overrode that much of a difference.

Exactly. Cashiers are told not to argue with a customer over something trivial like a .10 cent difference on a price, but if the difference is significant they're supposed to have an ad.
King_Mud
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:59:08 PM
Originally Posted By YugoAK47:
This isn't how it works at most Walmarts. Cashiers are allowed to question what the customer is claiming and a sup can and does check against legit ads.

Yep. They aren't supposed to match without the ad now. My other household person does legit price matching and always takes an ad with her.
focus8
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 4:59:46 PM
Originally Posted By abtex1:

Uhmmmm Derp what the OP posted has nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with fraud.

I wouldn't call it fraud unless you are referring to the cashier. If I as a consumer have to make something up that with make me better off in the long run, I don't see any reason not to

Enlightenme556
OFFICIAL arfcom nickname The Butcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:00:22 PM
That's insane.
It's not like that around here. They require an ad.
Originally Posted By FivePoint56:
Anytime something could be explained by conspiracy it normally can also be explained by incompetence, I will bet on incompetence every time.
wootizzle
Checkout my sexy bio pic ;)
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:00:38 PM
[Last Edit: 3/16/2013 5:01:32 PM by wootizzle]
My sister would really upset you. She turns $600+ carts into $100 almost weekly.. She takes couponing to the max. No scam involved, if that's how Walmart does it, that's on Walmart.

ETA

My sister does have all the coupons, and ads, however.
sergtjim
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:01:11 PM
Originally Posted By AZBADBOY:
I'm guessing said cashier knew the customer. Employees steel more in terms of money than all customers combined.

This. They probably split the swag later on.

DcN484
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:01:55 PM

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it at all, but... how is that even possible? If you're able to stick out working at Walmart for 8 years shouldn't you be like the store manager? Or maybe you just prefered that position?

If anything, you deserve props for that. 95% of the population would have only done it for a month then jumped ship for the FSA.

HughAkston
Raising the black flag...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:02:40 PM
FTFSA
Peaceful coexistence is impossible if a man has to live under the constant threat of force to be unleashed against him
Enlightenme556
OFFICIAL arfcom nickname The Butcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:03:14 PM

I wouldn't call it fraud unless you are referring to the cashier. If I as a consumer have to make something up that with make me better off in the long run, I don't see any reason not to

If what you meant to say is that you would lie to get a better price, then yes, that's the definition of fraud.

Originally Posted By FivePoint56:
Anytime something could be explained by conspiracy it normally can also be explained by incompetence, I will bet on incompetence every time.
NineLivez
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:03:16 PM
Originally Posted By P08:
Oh hell yeah! I'm going to get a pressure washer for $1!

Why spend a buck, I understand at one point they were letting them out the door for free. Price match that bitches
Tennessee Squire
NRA
Cogito ergo armatum sum
I first came to this site for the storehouse of knowledge here, but stayed for the hate. -colklink
Bat-Masterson
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:03:36 PM

Our Ad Match Guarantee

We’re committed to providing low prices every day. On everything. So if you find a lower advertised price on an identical product, tell us and we’ll match it. Right at the register.
We gladly match the price in the following types of ads:*

Buy one, get one free ads with a specified price
Example: Buy one for $2.49, get one free (BOGO)
Competitors' ads that feature a specific item for a specified price
Preferred shopping card prices for specific items that are in a printed ad
For fresh produce and meat items when the price is offered in the same unit type (lb. for lb.; each for each)

*The following are guidelines and limitations:

We will match any local competitor's advertised price.
We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad.
Items purchased must be identical to the ad (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)

We do not match the price in the following types of competitor ads:

Items that require a separate purchase to get the ad price
example: "Buy [item A] to get [item B] for $C"
Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get free product
example: "Buy both [items A & B] to get [item C] for free"
Items that require a purchase to get a competitors' gift card
example: "Buy [item A] to get a $B gift card
Buy one, get one free (BOGO) ads with no actual price given
Going out of business or closeout prices
Percentage off
example: "All mascara, 40% off"
Competitors' private label price promotions

We do not honor:

Ads when the actual price for items cannot be determined
Internet pricing
Misprinted ad prices of other retailers
"Going out of business" sales or "closeout" prices

Run for your lives! The end of the world is coming! Take shelter! Protect the fire! Kill the strangers! Zombies are running amok! !Death has got his groove on! The Four Horsemen look pissed!
BigAKFan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:06:04 PM
Originally Posted By sergtjim:

Yup.

Call the store management and tell them what went down. I bet the cashier won't have a job after they hear about it.

kenndogg
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:07:44 PM

How was all that shit overided by the cashier? Thought you needed a csm to do that? I too worked as a cashier once at wally world.
71-Hour_Achmed
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:10:24 PM

That may be your local store manager's doing, but at the Wal-Mart near my mother's house back in the U.S., customers have to show an advertised price, such as from ads mailed to them or in newspapers. (That Wal-Mart also has no, zero, none, automated self-checkouts, because they know they'll get robbed blind by the FSA if they try it. It's a shitty area.)
motown_steve
WAAAAAY back and...GONE!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:10:41 PM

Well, in fairness, if Walmart is telling their cashiers to take the price without evidence and without question then they're basically asking to get robbed. I don't think it's right, and it's obviously dishonest, but you can't rightly say that they aren't asking for it.
"Do not be fooled by a belief that leftists hate guns. Oh, no, they do not...they hate guns in the hands of those whom they have slated for a barrel to the back of the ear."

-- Stanislav Mishin
Hunter-Killer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:10:41 PM
Originally Posted By wootizzle:
My sister would really upset you. She turns $600+ carts into $100 almost weekly.. She takes couponing to the max. No scam involved, if that's how Walmart does it, that's on Walmart.

ETA

Your sister steals shopping carts and sells them?

VoodooChile
Just Smile and Wave Boys
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:10:42 PM
Radio Shack had Ninetendo DS a few years back for $75 but they were sold out..I took the ad to Wal-mart and they honored it (normally for $125) but they had to call the manager in and there was some jawing that had to be done.
There, I said it...Don't tell me you weren't thinking the same thing!

I just want to go to the backyard, get a stick, and clean this thread off the bottom of my shoe....
wootizzle
Checkout my sexy bio pic ;)
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:12:08 PM
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Originally Posted By wootizzle:

ETA

Your sister steals shopping carts and sells them?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gFJo1ZyTduk/To9OYece2TI/AAAAAAAABUE/bIRKMls9ttE/s400/trailer_park_boys.jpg

No.

We steal babies and sell them.
SeanC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:13:39 PM
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
Sweet info. I can't wait to pick up some .223 at 2003 prices ... When it's back in stock.

I know there must be some 10-15 year old "Shotgun news" rags stashed somewhere in my house!
ZootTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:14:55 PM

Originally Posted By King_Mud:

Yep. They aren't supposed to match without the ad now. My other household person does legit price matching and always takes an ad with her.

My wife also price matches, and our Wal-Mart will have the ads from local competitors already at the checkout stand for verification.
Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst. - C.S. Lewis
If you don't have questions you weren't paying attention. - Jeff Cooper
Lumpy196
COEXIST
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:15:49 PM
Being able to buy shit at other stores for less than Wal-Mart sounds like a perfect reason to never go in Wal-Mart.
Originally Posted By Tom-from-Michigan:
I have fired my rifles in the rain, but that is not the same as firing one after rising out of the water.
nchapa
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:16:28 PM
maybe a relative?
Beachhead0
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:18:27 PM
Originally Posted By sixnine:

Agreed, I saw a brick of 22lr for $.87 at the local Walgreens.
Bud
Transplanted Texan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:19:29 PM
[Last Edit: 3/16/2013 5:22:35 PM by Bud]
Originally Posted By BigAKFan:

Yup.

Call the store management and tell them what went down. I bet the cashier won't have a job after they hear about it.

I worked my way through college at a grocery store, and know what y'all are talking about. I saw a co-worker get fired for that very thing.

If the cashier and customer were in cahoots, they are seasoned professionals. The cashier was an articulate young black woman, about 18 years old. She did not act evasive or nervous when I chatted with her about this, and even carried the conversation to include some type of supervisor who came by. The supervisor smiled knowingly when we spoke about the dubious prices that were being claimed, and said that she too sees that all the time. The cashier maintained eye contact with me while we talked, and was very open in describing the store's policy.

The customer in her late 40s, white, and rough looking. A man with her (husband, perhaps) was about 50, clad in a camo cap and shirt and had a waist length gray ponytail. While it is possible that they know the cashier, I would NOT place them together, and did not get a sense that they had interacted before. I could be wrong, though.

*edit - NOT

SleeperShooter
// ARFCom Callsign: Freebird \\
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:19:39 PM
Originally Posted By jlphoy:

Exactly what I endured this afternoon.

Unless the customer was stopped by AP for committing fraud.

-SleeperShooter
---RIP Brothers---
Nathan Bruckenthal, DC3, USCG, K.I.A. 04/24/2004
Brian Terry, USBP, E.O.W. 12/15/2010
John Capano, ATF, E.O.W. 12/31/2011
Chris Kyle, SOC, USN, E.O.W. 02/02/2013
RIA45ACP
Hmmm
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:21:11 PM

This I thought...I've done it a few times and I've always needed the ad from the other store.
Shockergd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:22:22 PM

I agree. Every Time I see price matching I see them look up an ad. Every register has ads from all local groceries and stores.

Sounds like a employee scam, I would report to manager. You can do it online if you remember the lane number.

Check out my blog at libertyandsuch.com chock full of data, graphics and reports that bust firearm myths as well as weekly reports on defensive gun usage.
Ninja_Moose
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:23:11 PM
Sounds like an uninformed cashier.
woodsie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:24:05 PM
SNIP

SNIP

I was just talking about this last night at dinner. My finacee's mother works at a certain department store which I won't name to avoid making matters worse. Their security policies are likewise an license to steal.

1) If someone steals something in plain sight, nobody other than the ONE authorized security guy is allowed to even as much as confront a patron hands off...and the security guy only works select days and hours so often isn't there at all. Meaning when he's gone, people can walk in, take stuff, walk out and nobody will do ANYTHING about it even if you do it right in front of their face.

2) The security guy is further limited in that he is only allowed to confront a shopper on stolen items that he keeps in sight from point out lifting item to point of leaving store. Meaning if a patron goes in an elevator or ducks a corner with said item and security loses visual for even a couple seconds, game over, shoplifter wins.

3) The sales clerks are REQUIRED to process refunds even without a receipt or any proof that the item was purchased there, or anywhere for that matter. My fiancee's mother has people who come in and grab something off the shelf and then walk right up to the register and ask for a "refund". She is forbidden by policy to turn them down and is not even allowed to say she saw them walk in and steal said item.

I get mad just hearing about it.

So if you ever wondered why a nice dress shirt is $80 at a department store...there you go. That's fucking why.

Nine5Three
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:24:33 PM
Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Being able to buy shit at other stores for less than Wal-Mart sounds like a perfect reason to never go in Wal-Mart.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!

woodsie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/16/2013 5:25:32 PM
Originally Posted By Ninja_Moose:
Sounds like an uninformed cashier.

You'd think, but read my post above. There are some wild policies with respect to loss prevention at certain stores. To hear it at Walmart shocks me but I can't say that I haven't heard of similar nonsense.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2