Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:04:47 AM EDT
I helped my aunt drive some stuff from the KC metro down to Louisiana. Due to the amount of cargo, we made the trip in our old family workhorse, a 1999 Astro with AWD.

Everything was fine and dandy until we were in southern Arkansas. After climbing a hill or accelerating, there was a bit of a clunk as I released the throttle. I'm not sure if this was 4th gear or OD. I found that if I released the throttle very slowly, the clunk didn't happen.

We stopped for dinner in Texarkana. Before leaving, I checked the fluid, and it seemed normal. The transmission was fine for the rest of the drive, so I had assumed that it was just too hot from pulling the weight over the winding hills of Arkansas.

Yesterday afternoon, I took the van out, and it seemed normal until I tried to pass someone. It had a gnarly slip when it downshifted. It seemed as though the gear briefly caught and slipped a few times. It felt kinda like I had rapidly stomped and released the accelerator three times.

I decided I should at least try for a fluid and filter change, but nobody in this town does it on Saturdays. I'm rolling out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like more than just a clogged filter. Synchroniser gear maybe?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Has the check engine light come on? Might be some transmission codes that could clue you in to what is going on. I'd hold off on a fluid and filter change until I was back in my own AO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
how many miles?

clutch packs might be gonzo.  no magic potion you can pour inside to fix that
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I was gonna say punch it and wish for the best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has the check engine light come on? Might be some transmission codes that could clue you in to what is going on. I'd hold off on a fluid and filter change until I was back in my own AO.

No CEL. I have an OBDII reader with me, so I'm waiting for that to happen.

At this point, there isn't really anything I can do, so II'm just hoping that I make it back. There's ~185 miles of narrow winding highway between Texarkana and Ft Smith, and it'd be exceptionally shitty to break down there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how many miles?

clutch packs might be gonzo.  no magic potion you can pour inside to fix that

On the van? 146k, but the transmission was rebuilt at 126k.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No CEL. I have an OBDII reader with me, so I'm waiting for that to happen.

At this point, there isn't really anything I can do, so II'm just hoping that I make it back. There's ~185 miles of narrow winding highway between Texarkana and Ft Smith, and it'd be exceptionally shitty to break down there.

So hook it up and see what, if any, faults it shows. Most allow real time monitoring too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
sawdust?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I helped my aunt drive some stuff from the KC metro down to Louisiana. Due to the amount of cargo, we made the trip in our old family workhorse, a 1999 Astro with AWD.

Everything was fine and dandy until we were in southern Arkansas. After climbing a hill or accelerating, there was a bit of a clunk as I released the throttle. I'm not sure if this was 4th gear or OD. I found that if I released the throttle very slowly, the clunk didn't happen.

We stopped for dinner in Texarkana. Before leaving, I checked the fluid, and it seemed normal. The transmission was fine for the rest of the drive, so I had assumed that it was just too hot from pulling the weight over the winding hills of Arkansas.

Yesterday afternoon, I took the van out, and it seemed normal until I tried to pass someone. It had a gnarly slip when it downshifted. It seemed as though the gear briefly caught and slipped a few times. It felt kinda like I had rapidly stomped and released the accelerator three times.

I decided I should at least try for a fluid and filter change, but nobody in this town does it on Saturdays. I'm rolling out tomorrow.

If you don't already have roadside assistance, call and put it on.  Whatever version of it get you the most miles (= save some money and better choice of shops).  

I was about to drive about 1,000 miles... I called at about 10AM to put RA on my insurance.  At 7pm my engine grenaded.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Rebuilt transmission... 20k on it...

Very possible could be something in the filter and fluid. Shavings from the new parts clogging things, getting partial line blockages. Assembly grease causing blockage, etc.

Either way, in semi-famous words.

"Punch it Chewy."
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Drive smoothly and don't push it hard. You'll make it fine more than likely.

Just don't get in a hurry
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The first description sounds like the lock up in the torque converter releasing.

The second sounds like friction disks burning up.

4L60Es often let go of 3-4 first, so you might be able to get home in 2nd gear, slowly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a AAA or US Rider membership before driving back.

Personally I prefer US Rider but that's because they'll handle horse trailers; AAA won't touch them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine was slipping and it turned out to be the bands slipping or something like that. Cost $100 to fix. But I didn't hear a loud clunk
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't already have roadside assistance, call and put it on.  Whatever version of it get you the most miles (= save some money and better choice of shops).  

I was about to drive about 1,000 miles... I called at about 10AM to put RA on my insurance.  At 7pm my engine grenaded.

Good luck.

We have AAA Premier.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
ugghhhhh..............been there done that.    

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
4th gear is OD in that transmission.  I would suspect the throttle linkage is not adjusted correctly (700R4/4L60 transmission).

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Lost my transmission 20 miles west of Beaver, Utah, on my way home to CO from Vandenberg. Yea, that sucked, and cost me $3300. But, the guy literally worked all night to pull the old one, ordered a new one in the morning, and I was rolling 24 hours after I lost it.

Best of luck, and make sure that your phone is charged up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
4th gear is OD in that transmission.  I would suspect the throttle linkage is not adjusted correctly (700R4/4L60 transmission).

Should I just run it in 3rd when I hit the twists?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Below 60 MPH, you should be fine.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Lucas Transmission Fix

Great stuff

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Below 60 MPH, you should be fine.

The van doesn't have an RPM gauge, so I have no idea how hard I'd be running it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be better to work the engine than the transmission.

In 3rd, what does 60 MPH translate to at the crank?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Just a thought, Bass. Maybe put a call out in the HTF and see if someone is close to you, and if they might be able to help out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#26]
check your fluid levels, smell for a burnt smell, check for color. Hopefully it is still red and clear.
on hill manually shift to a lower gear, do you have a 3rd option on the shifter?
Im leaning toward burnt clutches/discs...

this is why I hate automatics. You just never know sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
In the event the clutches are in fact slipping, draining the fluid in the trans could do far more harm than good (in the short term)

As the clutches wear, they almost rely upon debris in the fluid for friction.  Draining the "dirty" fluid could make you loose the trans permanently.

Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1999?  That would be a 4L60E and electronically shifted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4th gear is OD in that transmission. I would suspect the throttle linkage is not adjusted correctly (700R4/4L60 transmission).

If it is going to be downshifting frequently I would based on what you have described.  I would bet if you drive it very easy you make it home, just ignore the problem, keep it shifting and slipping and you won't get near as far.  Mechanical things respond to operator finesse.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the AWD system in these vans have a viscous coupling center diff?

I knew somebody who had an Olds Bravia (Chevy S10 Blazer with AWD and leather) that had all kinds of problems with the Xfer case in it.
Dunno a solution for it, just saying it may not be the trans.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Welcome to 90's Ford Trannys!

In my Explorer, it occasionally slips out of Overdrive on down shifts, and over revs like crazy.
I have gotten in the habit of staying in D until up to speed and going into OD when cruising.
Hills and long grades I get up speed, take my foot off the gas to let the RPM drop and drop it back to D. That keeps it from trying to shift under load with the RPM high.

Keeps it from happening well.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Welcome to 90's Ford Trannys!

In my Explorer, it occasionally slips out of Overdrive on down shifts, and over revs like crazy.

I have gotten in the habit of staying in D until up to speed and going into OD when cruising.

Hills and long grades I get up speed, take my foot off the gas to let the RPM drop and drop it back to D. That keeps it from trying to shift under load with the RPM high.

Keeps it from happening well.

This is a Chevrolet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Is the fluid still nice and pinkish/red?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#35]
If the fluid isn't dark or burnt smelling, I'd look at elect type problems.

Roll under it and make sure the harness is secured down near the pan.  IIRC, it is on the passenger side.  It might be a flakey solenoid in the valve body assy.

Some of the elect shift trannys have their own computer, and a reader can tell you where the problem is if electrical in nature, not sure when GM started that, but my mid-90s GM pickup has that feature.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would guess that it could be the electronic equivalent of the same problem. Throttle position sensor or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would guess that it could be the electronic equivalent of the same problem. Throttle position sensor or whatever.

It is simple to adjust the throttle cable/tranny cable  assy.  Not doing it causes high rpm shifts and hard shifts.

Been 5 years since I last did it, but a quick net search should turn it up for you.  IIRC, no tools needed, just manipulate the cable and throttle lever at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TPS sensor is a pretty easy test if you have a multimeter.  
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_tps_test/pickup_van_tps_1.php

Typically they run horrible with a bad TPS, transmission problems are normally a "secondary" issue.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Again..its a 4L60E..electronically controlled trans..the PCM uses sensor inputs to know when to upshift or downshift. There is no adjust ability.

I've seen a million of these come in..its a problem in the direct drum in the trans or the valvebody. If you have correct fluid level in the trans, and your fluid isn't dark black its probably not a quick fix fluid+ filter problem, it never is. That "rapid on/off gas" or "rumblestrip" vibration is clutch chatter..meaning somewhere along the line there is a hydraulic problem between the pump and the clutch pack responsible for third.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Again..its a 4L60E..electronically controlled trans..the PCM uses sensor inputs to know when to upshift or downshift. There is no adjust ability.

I've seen a million of these come in..its a problem in the direct drum in the trans or the valvebody. If you have correct fluid level in the trans, and your fluid isn't dark black its probably not a quick fix fluid+ filter problem, it never is. That "rapid on/off gas" or "rumblestrip" vibration is clutch chatter..meaning somewhere along the line there is a hydraulic problem between the pump and the clutch pack responsible for third.

I guess I should just hope I can get it back to the shop back home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there a detour around your twisty bits?  It's not like you are trying to get across the Rockies
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#42]
You should manually shift it, transmissions like manual shifts
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Running in 3rd on certain stretches of US-71 between Texarkana and Ft Smith isn't a bad idea if you're loaded down heavy, even if the trans wasn't acting up.  The owners manual may even recommend it.  I wouldn't worry about over-revving the engine doing that.  The difference between 3rd and overdrive is usually less than 15%, most likely less than 500rpm at the speed limit.

Besides, you're likely to be caught behind somebody in a tractor trailer struggling to make 45mph on that stretch of highway.  Been there, done that a lot.  Don't forget to use 3rd on some of those grades on I-540 north of Ft Smith.  Those were actually steeper and longer than anything on US-71 south of Ft Smith.  Always used to have me crawling along at 20-25mph when I was hauling coffee from New Orleans to Kansas City.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is there a detour around your twisty bits?  It's not like you are trying to get across the Rockies

I can take the interstate via Little Rock, but that adds 89 miles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
check your fluids on a level surface, you may just be low.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

snip

This is a Chevrolet.

Shows you how much I know about minivans
Might still do the trick though. Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Torque converter failing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adds 89 miles, but subtracts 250 individual shifts on the twisties?

Hmmm... not a tough choice for me.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adds 89 miles, but subtracts 250 individual shifts on the twisties?

Hmmm... not a tough choice for me.  

I'll eliminate a bunch of gear changes by keeping her in third.

I just can't drive like Clarkson.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Time to roll.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top