• Posts 4929
  • Location USA MI, USA
Basic
  • Joined Mar 2010
  • Posts 4929
  • Location USA MI, USA
Posted: 3/14/2013 6:20:51 PM EST
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21226068

Japanese people often fail to understand why neighbouring countries harbour a grudge over events that happened in the 1930s and 40s. The reason, in many cases, is that they barely learned any 20th Century history. I myself only got a full picture when I left Japan and went to school in Australia...
Air Transportation Extraordinaire
Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2005
  • Posts 14394
  • Location QAT QAT
Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2005
  • Posts 14394
  • Location QAT QAT
Military
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:31:54 PM EST
there is a whole lot of history that Japan leaves out of it's books. I didnt notice mention of they treated Okinawans and/or Filipinos and American POWs.

Japan closes it's eyes to it and a part of that is the fault of the US and how we handled it after the surrender.
R.I.P. Curtis Eccleston, Feb 6 2011
Proud Member Of Team Ranstad
AmericanLoki: Much in the same way you can't pray away the gay, you can't delete it either.
Moderator-Oklahoma HTF
Gold
  • Joined Oct 2003
  • Posts 13002
  • Location USA OK, USA
Gold
  • Joined Oct 2003
  • Posts 13002
  • Location USA OK, USA
NRA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:35:47 PM EST
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Site Staff http://mp-pistol.com/boards/
NRA Life
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2003
  • Posts 19403
  • Location USA CA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2003
  • Posts 19403
  • Location USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:44:02 PM EST
Much of that attitude is due to racism. Japanese are VERY racist.
Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 27095
  • Location USA LA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 27095
  • Location USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:45:49 PM EST
Not surprised.
Akimbo Pixelslinger
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2006
  • Posts 12600
  • Location USA WA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2006
  • Posts 12600
  • Location USA WA, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:48:13 PM EST
One of the best explanations I've read of the rise of Imperial Japan and their ethnocentric imperialism, and how the hell the country went from the Meiji reforms to that... thing, was actually the first few chapters of James Bradley's Flyboys.

He lays out the entire chronology from Japan's first European contact with the Portugese, to the forced opening of ports by Perry, to how Japan's society and cultural consciousness was impacted by the different events of colonialism as it rose and fell, and how the centuries of political, philosophical and military insight accrued over the years by the samurai class was basically lost in translation within a single generation.

The real wisdom, experience, and insight behind the mythos and philosophy of bushido wasn't passed on, and the next generation - the generation in charge of Japan in the 1930s and 1940s - only knew the grandiose myths and Japan's cultural proclivities of racial superiority.

Basically, the entire leadership of a nation seriously believed their predecessor's own hype because they never were properly taught the truths behind those myths.

And then they went and started invading countries believing their warrior spirit actually made them superior and invincible.
You know, I've been here for aqua-bumpers, shower cookies, goose fuckers, doll shows, fire on airplanes, and the attempted theft of an AR by Shitty McBritches, and this post is the one that's finally made me say, "This place is getting weird." -53
NwG
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2005
  • Posts 3384
  • Location USA CA, USA
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2005
  • Posts 3384
  • Location USA CA, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:51:23 PM EST
ID leave BBC out of the history lessons too...

Have you seen the "package size" over there? Last thing we need is 30 million jellious Japanese men.
Basic
  • Joined Jul 2005
  • Posts 4353
  • Location USA KS, USA
Basic
  • Joined Jul 2005
  • Posts 4353
  • Location USA KS, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:53:01 PM EST
Hello
Kitty
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2007
  • Posts 2354
  • Location USA FL, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2007
  • Posts 2354
  • Location USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:54:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2013 6:59:50 PM EST by RONINBUDO]
Half this country don't give a shit about ww2.and more don't even know what country's where in it.so what make you think Japan care about history.

in school our founding fathers are terrorist.you should worry more about THE LEFT IS TEACHING OUR KIDS. then Japans
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2009
  • Posts 5659
  • Location USA AZ, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2009
  • Posts 5659
  • Location USA AZ, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:09:56 PM EST
Hirohito should've been executed for the Japanese to understand they lost.
Stupid SHOULD hurt. If it doesn't hurt you will continue to do stupid things!
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2011
  • Posts 1544
  • Location USA TX, USA
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2011
  • Posts 1544
  • Location USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:10:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
Half this country don't give a shit about ww2.and more don't even know what country's where in it.so what make you think Japan care about history.

This. Our own country's history books are almost as bad. We leave out things like Batan, yet we spend multiple chapters on the civil rights movement. When they talk about us dropping the atom bombs, all they talk about are the horrors of the attack and do not include how many lives we saved by ending the war. Hell, when they talk about the civil war, the only issue you read in those books is slavery. They make it sound like the south only cared about their slaves and because of that the white man still owes the black man.