Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Probably the rendered fat of dead Chinese people used as a preservative/ rust preventative

Chinese oil is PEOPLE!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the smell. I dont know why. Its like the smell of guns shops and tire stores
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I have smelled it. I thought it might be some kind of oil used to machine some of the parts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if its harmful?
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
vulcanized rubber
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Do not buy their rubber gloves!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the rendered fat of dead Chinese people used as a preservative/ rust preventative

Chinese oil is PEOPLE!!!!
Liposuction residue. You never see many fat china people, do you? They let nothing go to waste.

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder if its harmful?

'course it's harmful.      People are all worried about chemtrails, genetically modified grain, fluorine, dioxin, mercury and lead...

Meanwhile, the Chinese are slowly but surely poisoning, us with their deadly Chicomosmoline.    

Actually, it's the only logical explanation for how our Country went down the shitter so fast.    

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It smells like Sears.  Ever notice its the same smell?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Sort of like the smell of any milsurp store... Cosmoline.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know of what you speak.  I always thought it was the poorly refined crude protectant/lubricant they coat everything with, the stuff that soaks into the brown paper everything is wrapped in.

My thought too. And yeah, all 3 of the local HFs have the same exact smell.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The smell of crappy tools
No clue, I never really paid attention to it before.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah the cheap oil smell.  Say what you will about HF but I bought an electric impact gun and it rips off lug nuts like a champ.  The aluminum racing jack I bought there is also fantastic.

I concur.

I have a strong aversion to anything from HF that's intended to support a heavy object over head.  

But what are we going to do?  The only alternative is to hunt for old tools made in the US.

Time machine, bring back tons of good tools and sell-profits.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know of what you speak.  I always thought it was the poorly refined crude protectant/lubricant they coat everything with, the stuff that soaks into the brown paper everything is wrapped in.

This.

Kind of like how Hyundais used to stink from the cheap mold release compound the Koreans used on their injection molded interior plastics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
China has a distinct aroma. And every once in a while you get a hit of feces.

In Korea the stench of human hole products is continuous.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Their version of cheap rubber.  Their cheap tires, just like those from Northern Tool.  Those stink.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
It's the oil.

Next time you're in a Walmart, go to sporting goods and check out the weight lifting stuff like the dumb bells.  

I was looking for ammo one day, walked by the weights and thought, "Harbor Freight?"
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#19]
The scent of your new lord and master.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Their version of cheap rubber.  Their cheap tires, just like those from Northern Tool.  Those stink.  

Asia is possibly the only region where natural rubber is still widely used.

In the rest of the world it's mostly BRC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought some 13" wagon tires because I am making a monster wagon for a friend.
Those damned things stunk up my whole shop. I finally put them outside for a couple weeks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]
My first question is to why you even walked into the china outlet store.
Next I guess you will drive down the street with your window open throwing money out as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#24]
combination of  cigarette smoke and BO absorbed from their customers

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a rubber mallet from there. I swear the smell from the store comes from those things. Smells like yugo burn outs
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats the smell of disappointment.

Thats what you will be with what ever you buy...
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Smells like debt money
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

combination of  cigarette smoke and BO absorbed from their customers

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Asia is possibly the only region where natural rubber is still widely used.

In the rest of the world it's mostly BRC.

Natural rubber is still used.  Most tires contain multiple alloys of rubber, two at least.  

The key to most rubber vulcanization is sulfur, this causes irreversible cross-linking but can also cause embrittlement as tires age (vulcanization is a time-temperature process).  That smell is excess sulfur that reacted to other compounds in the tire, some put there to prevent brittle aging.  Excess sulfur is used to enable full cure without excessive mold time.  Basically, a cost saving measure.

DOT rated  tires cannot tolerate this as these sulfur-stench compounds will cause tire failure.  But for non-highway service tires which won't get hot, it is fine.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#30]
yeah it's the smell of failure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The sweat and toil of hard working Chinese toddlers. They're kind of like Santa's elves, only they're three years old and Chinese.  

...and smell like petrochemicals.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Next I guess you will drive down the street with your window open throwing money out as well.

^^^^^^^Well said^^^^^^^

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Dunno but I was at Northern Tool yesterday and picked up a floor jack.  It had a distinctive smell.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^^^^Well said^^^^^^^  

You seem... familiar to HF.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, you guys who are just too cool and tactical to soil yourselves by going to HF--how do you know what the place smells like?  You been creepin'?  

All non-highway service tires from China smell like that.  The  pressure washer I BOUGHT from Northern Tool last year have that smell, the only Chinese parts on it.  Italian pump, Honda (Taiwan) engine, frame made in USA.  Even Goodyear hose.

4 GPM, 4000 PSI.  Cuts wood.  Etches concrete.  Removes  paint from automobiles.  Even strips rust.  I have to store it in the truck as it stinks like a polecat.

Like I stated, they use excess sulfur in the rubber mix so the tires don't need to cook long in the vulcanization process.  Highway (DOT) tires cannot as the excess sulfur would cause the rubber to get brittle since highway tires spend time at elevated temperatures.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing says you don't take pride in your work like using harbor freight tools.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, you guys who are just too cool and tactical to soil yourselves by going to HF--how do you know what the place smells like?  You been creepin'?  

All non-highway service tires from China smell like that.  The  pressure washer I BOUGHT from Northern Tool last year have that smell, the only Chinese parts on it.  Italian pump, Honda (Taiwan) engine, frame made in USA.  Even Goodyear hose.

4 GPM, 4000 PSI.  Cuts wood.  Etches concrete.  Removes  paint from automobiles.  Even strips rust.  I have to store it in the truck as it stinks like a polecat.

Like I stated, they use excess sulfur in the rubber mix so the tires don't need to cook long in the vulcanization process.  Highway (DOT) tires cannot as the excess sulfur would cause the rubber to get brittle since highway tires spend time at elevated temperatures.

There is something in new rubber products that drives my cat crazy, producing the same effects a catnip.

If I leave a rubber band out, the cat will go nuts playing with it and then try to eat it. The cat rubs its head on the rubber covers on the bottom of metal chair legs. I just bought a chinese hand cart, and it came with those cheap rubber tires that smell bad. While I had the tires on the floor putting the cart together, the cat starts rubbing its head on the new tires, tries to nibble on them, and then rolls around on the floor.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I recently got a HF StormCat 900w generator and it smells like 'win'.

Chris

So its a nice smoke and noise machine?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Rubber and plastic
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I like to think of HF as a little China. I get in big trouble there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the smell.

It smells the same as every Army clothing issue facility I have ever been in.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yes I have smelled it. I thought it might be some kind of oil used to machine some of the parts.

I was in a HF store 2 hours ago to look at tool chests. I can still smell it on my clothes.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't know the Harbor Freight smell.  Is it like the smell of the MAK 90 I bought in...the 90's?  That sucked.  Stank 'till I sold it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't know the Harbor Freight smell.  Is it like the smell of the MAK 90 I bought in...the 90's?  That sucked.  Stank 'till I sold it.

Yes it is.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top