Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2013 10:42:17 PM EDT
I need help finding a legitimate battle analysis of Medina Ridge in Desert Storm. Anybody who can IM me what they find or post it here (and it helps me) will get a free 20rd steel mag..
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean anyone not in a ban state, right OP?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

oh yeah..shit. Well ill find something else not completely useless to send as a gift of appreciation  And yes iv seen the video haha looking for a battle analysis!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh yeah..shit. Well ill find something else not completely useless to send as a gift of appreciation  And yes iv seen the video haha looking for a battle analysis!!

was the steel mag made before September 13th 1994?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

was the steel mag made before September 14th 1994?

I believe so, but have no idea...help me find a battle analysis and i'll let you decide
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

was the steel mag made before September 14th 1994?

I believe so, but have no idea...help me find a battle analysis and i'll let you decide

good enough for me! did you not like the youtube video?? what more do you want?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Allied losses during Desert Storm

U.S. casualties: 148 battle deaths, 145 nonbattle deaths
Army: 98 battle; 105 nonbattle
Navy: 6 battle; 8 nonbattle
Marines: 24 battle; 26 nonbattle
Air Force: 20 battle; 6 nonbattle
Women killed: 15
U.S. wounded in action: 467
British casualties: 24, nine by U.S. fire
British wounded in action: 10
French casualties: 2
French wounded in action: 25 (estimated)
Allied Arab casualties: 39
Allied combat air sorties flown: More than 116,000
Coalition aircraft losses: 75 (63 U.S., 12 Allied)
Fixed wing: 37 combat, 15 noncombat (U.S. losses -- 28 combat, 12 noncombat; no U.S. losses in air-to-air engagements)
Helicopters: 5 combat, 18 noncombat (all U.S.)

Iraqi losses

Estimated Iraqi Losses: (Reported by U.S. Central Command, March 7, 1991)
36 fixed-wing aircraft in air-to-air engagements
6 helicopters in air-to-air engagements
68 fixed- and 13 rotary-wing aircraft destroyed on the ground
137 Iraqi aircraft flown to Iran
3,700 of 4,280 battle tanks
2,400 of 2,870 assorted other armored vehicles
2,600 of 3,110 assorted artillery pieces
19 naval ships sunk, 6 damaged
42 divisions made combat-ineffective

The Battle of Medina Ridge was a decisive tank battle fought on February 27, 1991, during the Gulf War, between the U.S. 1st Armored Division and the 2nd Brigade of the Iraqi Republican Guard Medina Luminous Division outside Basra. Medina Ridge is the name American troops gave to a low rise, approximately seven miles (11 km) long.  Description  The battle, which was waged over approximately two hours, was the largest tank battle of the war and the largest tank battle in United States history. It took place west of Phase Line Kiwi, east of Phase Line Smash, and north of Phase Line Grape. Phase lines are map references occurring every few kilometers used to measure progress of an offensive operation.  The 1st Armored Division, commanded by Major General Ron Griffith, consisted of some 3,000 vehicles including 348 M1A1 Abrams tanks. The brunt of the fighting at Medina Ridge was conducted by the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, which was the only brigade from the 3rd Infantry Division in the war. 3rd Bde, 3ID replaced 1st Armored Division's 1st Brigade for the duration of the war and was commanded by Colonel James Riley. 1st Armored Division's 2nd Brigade, also saw major action in this battle and was commanded by Colonel Montgomery Meigs (a descendant of General Montgomery C. Meigs of Civil War fame).  Medina Ridge was one of the few battles during Desert Storm in which American forces encountered significant Iraqi resistance and found it extremely difficult to advance. The Iraqi forces were well-deployed such that they could not be seen by American forces advancing until after they had cleared the top of the ridgeline. This defilade position gave the Iraqis protection from the powerful long-range direct fire of the M1 Abrams tanks and the M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles. The American units found it necessary to engage an entrenched enemy at close range, which resulted in higher damage to the American armored units.  During the battle, the American forces suffered only one fatality (due to friendly fire), while destroying 186 Iraqi tanks (mostly inferior quality export model T-72Ms, Asad Babils and obsolete Type 69s) and 127 armored vehicles. Only four Abrams tanks were hit by direct fire and disabled; none were destroyed. Thirty-eight of the Iraqi tanks were eliminated by U.S. Army AH-64 Apaches and U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt IIs. 2nd Battalion, 1st Field Artillery conducted counterartillery fire missions and destroyed the Medina Field Artillery batteries in the process.  Although the Iraqis used a relatively successful defensive strategy by deploying their armor behind the ridge, this was not properly repeated through the rest of the war. In one incident, an Iraqi commander attempted to repeat what had been done at Medina but mistakenly deployed his armor too far from the ridgeline. This gave the American units the upper hand, as the Abrams tanks specialize in long-distance kills; their Chobham armor is extremely resistant to long-range fire. The American height advantage also reduced the effective range of the Iraqi tanks and presented the Iraqi gunners with a targeting situation for which they were under-trained.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Used to know someone that was one of the Cavalry scouts who drove over that ridgeline to discover the Iraqis. Said that was an interesting day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fixed wing: 37 combat, 15 noncombat (U.S. losses -- 28 combat, 12 noncombat; no U.S. losses in air-to-air engagements)

Iraqi losses

The Battle of Medina Ridge was a decisive tank battle fought on February 27, 1991, during the Gulf War, between the U.S. 1st Armored Division and the 2nd Brigade of the Iraqi Republican Guard Medina Luminous Division outside Basra. Medina Ridge is the name American troops gave to a low rise, approximately seven miles (11 km) long.  Description  The battle, which was waged over approximately two hours, was the largest tank battle of the war and the largest tank battle in United States history. It took place west of Phase Line Kiwi, east of Phase Line Smash, and north of Phase Line Grape. Phase lines are map references occurring every few kilometers used to measure progress of an offensive operation.  The 1st Armored Division, commanded by Major General Ron Griffith, consisted of some 3,000 vehicles including 348 M1A1 Abrams tanks. The brunt of the fighting at Medina Ridge was conducted by the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, which was the only brigade from the 3rd Infantry Division in the war. 3rd Bde, 3ID replaced 1st Armored Division's 1st Brigade for the duration of the war and was commanded by Colonel James Riley. 1st Armored Division's 2nd Brigade, also saw major action in this battle and was commanded by Colonel Montgomery Meigs (a descendant of General Montgomery C. Meigs of Civil War fame).  Medina Ridge was one of the few battles during Desert Storm in which American forces encountered significant Iraqi resistance and found it extremely difficult to advance. The Iraqi forces were well-deployed such that they could not be seen by American forces advancing until after they had cleared the top of the ridgeline. This defilade position gave the Iraqis protection from the powerful long-range direct fire of the M1 Abrams tanks and the M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles. The American units found it necessary to engage an entrenched enemy at close range, which resulted in higher damage to the American armored units.  During the battle, the American forces suffered only one fatality (due to friendly fire), while destroying 186 Iraqi tanks (mostly inferior quality export model T-72Ms, Asad Babils and obsolete Type 69s) and 127 armored vehicles. Only four Abrams tanks were hit by direct fire and disabled; none were destroyed. Thirty-eight of the Iraqi tanks were eliminated by U.S. Army AH-64 Apaches and U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt IIs. 2nd Battalion, 1st Field Artillery conducted counterartillery fire missions and destroyed the Medina Field Artillery batteries in the process.  Although the Iraqis used a relatively successful defensive strategy by deploying their armor behind the ridge, this was not properly repeated through the rest of the war. In one incident, an Iraqi commander attempted to repeat what had been done at Medina but mistakenly deployed his armor too far from the ridgeline. This gave the American units the upper hand, as the Abrams tanks specialize in long-distance kills; their Chobham armor is extremely resistant to long-range fire. The American height advantage also reduced the effective range of the Iraqi tanks and presented the Iraqi gunners with a targeting situation for which they were under-trained.  

haha I appreciate the effort but a true "battle analysis" is much more in detail than wikipedia or youtube.  This is like "turning into superiors" in depth that I need. I need to see one already made so I can check on format and see what details I left out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iraqi losses

haha I appreciate the effort but a true "battle analysis" is much more in detail than wikipedia or youtube.  This is like "turning into superiors" in depth that I need. I need to see one already made so I can check on format and see what details I left out.

yea, I am sure there is someone who was there that can help you out. Be sure to give this post a bump in the morning….
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
now that the normal people are awake...
Anybody know where I can get a legitimate analysis? Army standard please...not articles, wikipedia, or youtube
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#13]
You may want to reach out to the folks at milblogs like Blackfive or This Ain't Hell.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may want to reach out to the folks at milblogs like Blackfive or This Ain't Hell.

thought about that, but at 3 am I knew where I could get an answer the fastest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top