Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides shooting I race motocross and drag race a motorcycles, need I say more. and the doctors call me accident prone, can you belive that!
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fortunatley (at about 70 mph) I hit soft earth and lived still with use of my legs and only 2 destroyed vertebrae.
View Quote

F*ck me running!

Dude.

I am speechless....................

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The most grusome surgery was the plantars wort.  Bloody, painful mess trying to dig that out.  Pulling my arm slightly out of its socket and resetting it was pretty painful, but my most painfull injury was pulled muscles in my lower back (only time could heal that one).  

The most intense self-surgery was slitting my own gums to relieve the pain and pressure of wisdom teeth.  I was young, no med attention readily available, and it took alot to psych myself up to do it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I UsD A hOmE LaBoToMiE KiTt WoNcE.  Do U tHinC iT hElPd???[%|]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I always took IV fluids, suture material and advanced stuff since we were a day from civilization.
View Quote

GOOD PLAN

Link Posted: 4/11/2001 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Did the Plantar Wart thing with nail clippers and pliers.  Hurt for a couple days, bled like a stuck pig.  That was almost 22 years ago, haven't had one since
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I've stitched up my left hand a couple times.  
The first from a horse that threw me.  I landed on my palms and opened up a big v-shaped hole in my left hand.  My dad assisted as I shot it with lidocaine, cleaned it up, and put 5 or 6 stitches in it.  I took some pictures, but they turned out blurry.

The second time I was skinning a mink (oh my god, that was the worst thing I ever did!) with a very sharp knife.  I must've got careless, cause next thing I knew I was looking down through a 1" cut to the bone in my left index finger.  I went home, and once again my dad assisted as I shot it up and stitched it closed.

I can still see both the scars, but barely.  Not bad for a one-handed teenager...
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Well mine was not as bad as some of these but it was painful though.

Had a big cut on my knee that got infected. No matter what I did the infection would not go away so I took a toothbrush and some peroxide and scrubbed the hell out of it.

BTW what is a plantars wart?
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya, next time one of you all decides to remove a plantar wart, take some pics of the procedure. I am interested in seeing the root thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I the only one who's NEVER had a wart???

ha ha ha       [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Many years back, (I think) I had a small cyst in my nether region that started to hurt like the dickens.  I soaked an xacto knife in some alcohol a started cutting and digging. It did not hurt as bad as I anticipated, but kept bleeding for an hour.  I closed it with a small Band-Aid.  

When I was a kid I stepped on a big nail that went all the way thru my foot.  We were too poor for a doctor, so my mother pulled it out with pliers.  Another time she pulled off an ingrown big toenail that got infected.  That really hurt.  I once got shot in the thigh by some neighborhood thugs on the way home from school. The .22 was just under the skin.  My mom cut the bullet out, put in 2 stitches, and sewed up the hole in my pants.  The iodine she put on it hurt more than the cutting. She should have been a nurse or a doctor.

About 10 years ago I crashed my motorcycle getting off the freeway (I hit some anti-freeze).  My right knee came poking out.  I put my knee back in and limped over to my damaged bike.  The paramedics came and wanted to take me to the hospital, but I declined.  I hitched a ride home, but before I got there I decided I should go to the emergency room.  I spent a week in intensive care for a bruised spleen, punctured lung, broken ribs, and spinal damage.

A few years back I had a dark bump on my ring finger.  I don't know what it was, but took an xacto knife to it.  I kept digging until a large chunk of something came out.  I don't remember getting a splinter there, but that is what it seemed like.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Removed A drain tube after surgery ,Hell it was coming out so I helped it by pulling it out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked my nose once. Does this count ?
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
(To bring this back on topic) Since I just bought 1/4 of an AR-15, I don't have any money to go to the doctor, so I'm wondering just how are you supposed to remove a Planter's wart?  I haven't been to a doctor in just over 50 years, since the Army made me, and I'm not about to start now.  webmd.com is (as usual) useless, because it doesn't contain any instructions on how to remove them.  It just says to apply salicylic acid.  I've been doing that for over 4 months, and it hasn't gotten any smaller.  Even though I've been through a war, I've never had a broken bone or stitches, so telling me to "just rip it out" makes me cringe in pain.  Any better suggestions before a 72 year old man rips a hole in his foot?

Most extreme surgery done to self?  I removed a piece of a bullet from my finger after a doctor at Fort Jackson told me that he was going to remove my finger.  I told him to ***** himself, then I went back to my DI and told him to remove it, because it was his fault (ND at a concrete floor and I was hit) that it was there in the first place.  I got to see him throw-up then faint.  He was much nicer to me after that, because he knew I could embarrass him by telling the story.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife gets on me all the time for doing (basement surgery), ingrown toenails, metal sliver removal, I'll remove metal from my eyes if I can find it (it can be hard to see). But strangely enough the one I remember best didn't hurt at all.
When I was a kid another kid threw a sharpened bamboo spear at me. I saw it comming and threw up my arms to protect my eyes, it stuck in the under side of my right forearm and broke off leaving about 4 or 5 inches stuck in my arm. I got a pair of needle nose pliers and tried to pull it out but they kept slipping off (it broke off even with my skin) so I found a small pair off vice grips a got a good hold of it. It still didn't want to come out and I was about ready to give up but a couple of years earlier I had gotten a wood sliver about 6 inches long stuck in my thigh and left it in (it got septic and I had to have the damn thing cut out) I got real sick and had to have a bunch of penicillin, and I didn't want to go through that again. So I tried again anjust when I thought that I was going to break it off farther in my arm it came out, it came out so quick that at first I thought that the pliers had slipped off again.
There was never any blood to speak of but it left a hole the same diameter as the spear tip, so I just put a bandaid on it so my parents wouldn't see it. Eventually it healed up without any care to speak of and it never hurt or got infected. It did leave a small scar.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
There was this one time that I had a run in with a local sheriff in the north western United States.  One of his Deputies shot at me while I was hanging off of a cliff, I fell off landing on a pine tree and tore my arm open and I had to stitch it up myself.  Luckily I had a sewing kit in the handle of my knife!!

A few years later one of my old Colonels was taken hostage during a mission in Afghantistan, and I went over to rescue him.  I was involved in several fire fights trying to get him the hell out of there.  While I was in one of these battles a piece of wood was lodged in my side.  I pulled it out, I still had to keep on fighting so I disassembled a cartridge, poured the gun powder into the wound and lit the powder.  It seared the wound, preventing any infection, and I got my Colonel the hell out of there!!

Mark
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mark IV:
There was this one time that I had a run in with a local sheriff in the north western United States.  One of his Deputies shot at me while I was hanging off of a cliff, I fell off landing on a pine tree and tore my arm open and I had to stitch it up myself.  Luckily I had a sewing kit in the handle of my knife!!

A few years later one of my old Colonels was taken hostage during a mission in Afghantistan, and I went over to rescue him.  I was involved in several fire fights trying to get him the hell out of there.  While I was in one of these battles a piece of wood was lodged in my side.  I pulled it out, I still had to keep on fighting so I disassembled a cartridge, poured the gun powder into the wound and lit the powder.  It seared the wound, preventing any infection, and I got my Colonel the hell out of there!!

Mark
View Quote

Liar.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
No..Really!!!

Mark
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Interesting posts guys....

I once put a band aid on a paper cut I got in high school.....  

Seriously though, I fell off a steel utility trailer with the corner of the plate steel jabbing through the skin at my shin creating a V cut and inch each way to the bone...  I had Novocain in glass viles from my dentist who was also a customer....  So after cleaning the wound, I shot the wound about six times in the flesh...  I was freaking out at first because the flesh was turning white and swelling wherever I shot the Novocain....  I stitched the front of my right leg with 8 stitches...   a doctor would have put in a few more..  But I spaced them too far apart....  It healed fine...  I remember doing this in the 80's  a few years after Rambo first blood came out... I used the suture from my rambo Knife I bought at an auction!  LOL......  True story...

Although I haven't had the pleasure of sewing on myself since...  I stock my own medical supplies.....  And by the way....  Major surplus and survival has a sale going on now...  I got over 100 sutures for 9.95 to add to my supply!  

I Do work on my own animals to an extent...  the most extreme would be cutting the nuts off my cat......  but that's another story....  [;)]

I think it would be difficult to try and sew your own arm with one hand..... I guess I might practice that by taping a banana peel to my arm and sewing it......  

Oh.....  I don't know how many of you know what a tag or tagger is...  it's that ball of skin that forms and hangs from your skin...  mostly on your underarms and sometimes on your face around your eyes and on your neck area..  I don't know what causes these... I think their genetic heredity because my mother has them.. she pays a doctor to perform cryo surgery on them ( freezing them) and then they fall off.  I heat up a needle with a bic lighter....  Holding the needle with a needle nose pliers... touching the thin skin between the tag and your skin...  It turns black in a few days...  and within a week fall's off.....  and without paying your doctor a cent!

realist out
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys are really doin' the skin tags the hard way.

Get a pair of mechanic's tweezers (real heavy kind capable of a good thermal load).  Get a can of "Cool it" (electronics supply) or dust off.

Turn the spray can upside down so you get liquid out.  Spray the grabin' end of the tweezers real good.  Grab the skin tag with the tweezers and pull outward slightly.

You can watch the skin tag freeze perfectly right down to skin level.  No danger of freeze burn to adjacent skin.  Then leave it to fall off on its own, or cut it off with small pair of sicssors (my doctors way) or an Exacto knife (my way).  No pain little bleeding.  Don't forget to use an antiseptic.

Not self surgery, but I did deliver my daughter.  Pretty hairy (no pun intended), she was breach and had the umbilical cord around her neck.  Lucky they didn't die.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Penis transplant. Painful, but worth it.
Except for occasionally tripping over it, I,m happy with the results.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard the old remedy for skin tags was to tie a hair (surgical thread would work better) tightly around and leave it there until the thing falls off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#23]
when i was 10 or 11 i was playing with the nieghbor kids and one of them picked up on of those shovels that women use for gardening and threw it at me, hitting me inbetween my eye and my nose. well my eyball partially popped out and good old dad was there to shove her back in.

also, when i was 16, up camping i filled a coke can full of gasoline and was going to start a fire, (the boyscout way) but the coals were still hotter than i gave them credit for from the night before and the can caught fire and gass spilled all over. well i put my arm out and the can was still on fire on the ground so i kicked it. (good thinking, get me in a situaltion and i flurish) anyways, the flamming ball went right through my friend's tent wall and poured all over him. i had to go wake him up to tell him he was on fire. (were still friends)
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I set my broken toe, it was folded over my other toes
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I had plastic surgery done on my face.  Now I look like Linda Strip....or the other way around...Linda Strip look like me....AAAAAHHHH!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Zoom, If you are serious,first and formost i'm no doctor,so take it for what it's worth.(I) Flame Xcto knife to sterilize (2) cut wart off flush or slightly below skin level.(3) sterilize end of good set of tweezer (4) clean area to be excavated with peroxide or some disinfectant(5) Look for dark area in wound,grasp with tweezer and pull firmly,but slowly till it comes to a different color at the end of root,cut just below black end of root.  (6) apply liberal dose of peroxide and tape it up.    (A) when i did this i was about 13 or 14, feet and ankles were a lot more limber. (B) When you are young i think you have a natural immunity to infection. I never wore shoes as a kid,stepped on more broken glass and rusty nails than i care to think about. (C) Where am i going with all this long winded crap?  Zoom,go to the Doctor and have it removed by a pro!!!   Ben  
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Daayyyyyaaammmmmm! I gotta get in on this thread! I pulled a dry snot slug outta my nose once and I thought it was attached to the optic nerve of one eye! [:O]
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I WANT TO SEE THE EXTRACATION OF A ROOT!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Got stabed in the arm when I was 8 and sewed it up my self, big ugly scar.  I have used toenail cutters for countless other self surgeries.

[smash]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top