Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2013 1:57:56 PM EDT
Read this and give me your thoughts.  Not real clear what happened but sounds like they're trying to say a round just went off on its own when it was ejected.  Hmmm.....

Officer's round "explodes"
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably he covered the ejection port with his hand while unloading.

This traps the round preventing it from ejecting and allows the primer to be driven against the ejector, detonating it.

This also sends hot shrapnal into the hand.

Not a good way to unload the roscoe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an easier story to feed to the public than one of their "protectors" being negligent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is an easier story to feed to the public than one of their "protectors" being negligent.

If a round fired while outside the chamber, it would be a VERY easy thing to prove. Conversely, if it fired inside it, it would be just as easy to prove.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Another uncanny instance of first post being spot on.

Containing am ejected round looks cool, bending down to pick it up from the ground looks uncool but is still cooler than a trip to the hospital.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In before someone doesn't read the story and asks if it was a glock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Rounds just don't go off....
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This traps the round preventing it from ejecting and allows the primer to be driven against the ejector, detonating it.

I have witnessed this happen with a S&W99 40cal.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Was it a Glock?

Had to.

ETA : read the story after my post just for fun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This is an issue with many .40 pistols.  1911/2011 platforms and combat autos.  Ask anyone who regularly shoots USPSA and there are many instances of it happening.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rounds just don't go off....

They go off if the primer is hit.  And that doesn't require a specific firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The article said he was with a reserve officer and the reserve officer was hit by a small piece of shrapnel in the leg. If that shrapnel was from the shell casing then it would prove the officer's story.

I am surprised as hell that this happened. I had always laughed at people who said ammo could explode if you dropped it and something hit the primer just right. Apparently it is possible.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have witnessed this happen with a S&W99 40cal.

Maybe someone should drop them a note and explain this so it won't happen again?

From the story it seems like they think it exploded for no reason and they have no idea it could happen again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top