Author
I'm allergic to bullshit.
Military
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:42:21 AM EST
Having a debate in history class and my teacher doesn't believe me.
This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone.
DWFAN
Dark Lord of the 601st Legion
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:44:20 AM EST
Puckle Gun?
CURB STOMP THE COMMIES...JOIN THE NRA

NRA SAF NJ2AS ANJRPC NYSRPA VCDL MARYLAND SHALL ISSUE GEORGIA CARRY.ORG Member
DRhodes
I am Doctor Butts.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:44:51 AM EST
Dillon minigun, I believe.
"Man didn't invent guns because he was tired of killing animals with a stick and a rock. He did it because he was tired of people trying to kill -him- with a stick and a rock "-Stutzcattle
VBC
Turn on the heat
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:44:52 AM EST
Gatling Gun
OpusXKC
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:45:40 AM EST
Girandoni air rifle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:45:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/22/2013 7:46:04 AM EST by Spade]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

More of an almost semi-automatic rifle with a 22 round magazine.

efb
Caboose314
Fightin' Texas Aggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:45:48 AM EST
Gatling? It's not "full auto" though.
You can sleep with a gun, but when are you going to wake up and fight?
Goosemaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:47:10 AM EST
This is just past, but it was used in Europe and was carried by Lewis and Clark. Far superior to any flintlock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle
ultramagbrion
GUERRILLA MACHINIST
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:47:45 AM EST
uh . . . . wife ?

“There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice.”

PSYWAR1-0
Mountain Man Luke
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:48:35 AM EST
I'm not a dirty Hippy, just a well groomed Mountain man
Avandir
I'm allergic to bullshit.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:48:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By OpusXKC:
Girandoni air rifle

That's it. Thanks.

So I was wrong kinda. I thought it was full auto.
This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone.
WinstonSmith
Taxidea Taxus
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:49:14 AM EST
Well, there's the Girandoni air rifle, that was a repeater. It's most known in the US as being the Lewis and Clark wonder rifle, but was designed earlier. I don't believe any were used in the Revolution though.

There's also the Nock Gun, a type of multibarrel muzzleloader known as a volley gun.

And there's the Puckle Gun from years before the revolution. Essentially a revolving artillery piece. Not real popular other than as a historical oddity from what I can find though.

I don't believe any of these saw much if any service in the Revolution, but I'm no authority on the subject.
sirensong
Student of Human Moves
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:57:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Avandir:
Girandoni air rifle

That's it. Thanks.

semi. but along with the puckle gun, this is a flat refutation of the "musket myth" that is such a common liberal meme in the discussion. liberals will counter with the argument that it is an 'air gun', but that's irrelevant--any gun operates on expanding gasses. the girandoni was a semi-automatic anti-personnel rifle that could kill a man out to ~150 yards. so the idea that "the founders never dreamed of assault weapons" is utterly and completely false.
"When my memory wanders, as it does when bad things happen, I put a seashell to my ear and it all comes back. That day...You."
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:00:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By sirensong:

Girandoni air rifle

That's it. Thanks.

semi. but along with the puckle gun, this is a flat refutation of the "musket myth" that is such a common liberal meme in the discussion. liberals will counter with the argument that it is an 'air gun', but that's irrelevant--any gun operates on expanding gasses. the girandoni was a semi-automatic anti-personnel rifle that could kill a man out to ~150 yards. so the idea that "the founders never dreamed of assault weapons" is utterly and completely false.

It was also issued by the Austrian Army, so it isn't like the Girandoni was a little known curiosity.
sirensong
Student of Human Moves
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:08:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Spade:
Originally Posted By sirensong:

Girandoni air rifle

That's it. Thanks.

It was also issued by the Austrian Army, so it isn't like the Girandoni was a little known curiosity.

yep. a cutting-edge, semiautomatic, military rifle that the founders knew about, but didn't exclude from 2nd amendment protection.

flat refutation of the musket myth.
"When my memory wanders, as it does when bad things happen, I put a seashell to my ear and it all comes back. That day...You."
AKengineer
The Marksman
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:12:17 AM EST
There were repeating flintlock rifles and pistols that held plenty of rounds in a magazine that were no slower than a lever action. There were revolving flintlocks. There were multibarreled "death organs" that were fired by a string of powder across the barrels. There were also volley guns that fired all the barrels at once.
"Imposing a totalitarian regime on a whole people depends on the leader first collecting round him a group which is prepared to submit to that which they are to impose by force " ~F.A. Hayek.
PSYWAR1-0
Mountain Man Luke
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:22:34 AM EST
I'm not a dirty Hippy, just a well groomed Mountain man
Hawcer
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:23:17 AM EST

There were also volley guns that fired all the barrels at once.

Multiple projectiles fired with only one pull of the trigger that isn't a shotgun????? I want to see your tax stamp for that!

Kinda make me wish someone that has one of those would drop it on the table in front of the gun grabbers as exhibit "A".
WinstonSmith
Taxidea Taxus
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:27:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hawcer:

There were also volley guns that fired all the barrels at once.

Multiple projectiles fired with only one pull of the trigger that isn't a shotgun????? I want to see your tax stamp for that!

Kinda make me wish someone that has one of those would drop it on the table in front of the gun grabbers as exhibit "A".

The primary stumbling block in the wider employment of volley guns was the difficulty in finding a sufficient supply of men that had not fired one previously, nor seen it done.

This could be overcome by sufficient supply of distilled spirits, but accuracy naturally suffered.