User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Long ago before my current gig I was in sales. I can't tell you how many of these MLM characters approached me to be in their companies. I even had one guy make a trip from Iowa to take me to lunch and make a pitch. Funny thing is all of these folks talked about big money, but none of them had any. That was my cue to learn to be very direct in tellling them "No". In fact, and I kid you not.....I conducted a car stop about 18 years ago, gave the driver a verbal warning and his license back and thanked him for his cooperation. HE then pitched me for MLM and gave me his card.......Holy crap!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont do it! Its a Trap
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Pour it on your wang and proclaim its virtues. Profit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
My watch actually belonged to one of the biggest pyramid (MLM) scheme in the Netherlands.

Bought it at the auction of his crim to pay debtors.

Cant believe people fall for this crap I have been to those meetings for the lulz and am probable one of the only ones to be kicked out
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My watch actually belonged to one of the biggest pyramid (MLM) scheme in the Netherlands.

Bought it at the auction of his crim to pay debtors.

Cant believe people fall for this crap I have been to those meetings for the lulz and am probable one of the only ones to be kicked out

Trolling their meetings is fun.  Watching them get all upset and unsure about how to handle it when you call them on their bullshit in front of a crowded room is priceless
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#7]
FB friends with a lady who for the past 1.5 year or so has been so wrapped up in all of it. literally from one scheme to the next she just keeps digging deeper, I keep her on my friends list
just to see what happens when it all comes crashing down
she did quit it all but apparently was embarassed enough to do it quietly
funny enough her husband is a good guy and knew better and apparently just let her do her thing

another FB friend I emailed and tried warning her when I saw her husband was quitting his job so they could do this "opportunity"
I provided some proof and got back the "they said people like you would try to say negative things"
about a month later I tried my hardest not to say "told ya so"
the best part of it was she was going to get some car if she signed up something like 5 people... make 500 bucks for the company and get a 45,000 dollar car

have a customer who falls down the scams tree hitting every branch, also every new trendy product for sale he falls for hook line and sinker
that mona vie SP? drink stuff putt him in the poor house and I dont think he has ever recovered

I just cant figure out how people fall for this... or how people dont do a simple search first
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Your friends sound like idiots. Get some new ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The mother of a friend of mine got into this stuff and recruited lots of others in our small town.  She was left with no money and no friends after it all fell through.  Then my friend was left without a mom after she hung herself.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I know how you feel.  This happened to me one time.  A colleague who was an engineer at another corp. got into the Robert Kiyasaki (sp?) "Rich Dad Poor Dad" stuff.  He called me one day to meet him for lunch (no warning, I thought it was just a friendly lunch) and when I met him it was like a mini seminar was set up on the table.  I still don't even know what that that pitch is about because I put my hand up and said "ahh, no, please don't even continue down this pitch because I'm not listening".  He acted like I just threatened to murder his family.  His reaction was so bizarre and disturbing considering it was over a sales scam that I got up and left and never spoke to him again.  He sent me one email the next day excoriating me for not having the vision or intelligence to let Kiyasaki (sp?) change my fortune......  

I don't know what the allure about all these schemes is that causes such slavish devotion.  If you're at the top of the pyramid, I get it.  Everyone else (99% of the rest), not so much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The mother of a friend of mine got into this stuff and recruited lots of others in our small town.  She was left with no money and no friends after it all fell through.  Then my friend was left without a mom after she hung herself.  

Very sad.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#12]
All the bigwigs and moneyed in our burg got into "Gold Unlimited" a few years back.
Greatest investment since apple they all said.
You're a fool if you dont put at least $25,000 in they all said.

Six months later they're all in my office wanting to sue the company and each other for getting them in this scam.

On a contingency of course. NFW was I going to subsidize their stupidity with my time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

All the bigwigs and moneyed in our burg got into "Gold Unlimited" a few years back.

Greatest investment since apple they all said.

You're a fool if you dont put at least $25,000 in they all said.

Six months later they're all in my office wanting to sue the company and each other for getting them in this scam.

On a contingency of course. NFW was I going to subsidize their stupidity with my time.

You are wise. For the others, I'll explain. To take a case on contingency (take a percentage of the judgment amount, i.e. the old we-don't-get-paid-unless-you-win) your intended Respondent needs to actually have the funds to pay for damages. Otherwise you wind up with a very pretty court judgment and no way to actually collect. Ask me how I know. LOL

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I work for a network marketing company. Next month I'll be stuck on a week long cruise in the Caribbean with about 120 of the top sales people and recruiters

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A coworker keeps inviting me to 'a thing at her house'. She is having 'them' twice a week, and they are about 2 hours. Says it will change my future. She won't tell me what it is. I say FUUUUUUUU to that.  Sorry, I'm not a sucker.

Dude, you're missing out on weekly orgies.  

Yeah, bro. Pyramid orgies. Get you some!

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

MLM schemes are designed to strip-mine personal relationship capital for financial gain. They're good for showing you who the naive and foolish of your friends are, if you didn't know already.

Cutco? Same idea, but with more lying.

Cutco is somewhat different because they recruit their sales force from people that are not customers. Then they make customers do their marketing for them. It's like a more sinister hybrid.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a coworker who I share an office with.  He's good at his job, but a failure at life in general.  Almost 60 years old, but is in terrible shape, smells bad, and has a negative net worth, despite making at least 50% more than me (and no he has no wife or dependents).  He has a younger  FSA woman with tons of children  who 'leeches' off of him, but that is for an entirely different thread to get into that one.

I've worked with him for over a decade, and 7 or 8 years ago he asked me if I wanted to go to a financial planning 'meeting' with him.  Internally I was laughing my ass off, because a year or two before that he had filed for bankruptcy

He tried to give me examples on all the things he learned at previous meetings, such as "Did you know that if you pay your mortgage biweekly instead of monthly, you'll pay it off sooner?".  And other simple financial shit that I already knew.  I asked him the company name and he said it was Primerica.  He was quite insistent that I go to a meeting, and I finally had to say something along the lines of "No thanks, I already have my financial affairs in order".  Never heard anything further about it, he probably spent some money on it and lost it all and quietly stepped away from Primerica.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top