Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2013 6:28:11 AM EDT
How in the fuck can people be so stupid??

Damn friends of ours are completely wrapped up in this multi-level marketing pyramid scam and won't leave us alone because we won't join up or go to their seminars.  Now they're starting to get upset and lash out with text messages.  What the fuck?  I want nothing to do with it.  Somehow it cured her chronic back pain.  Funny, because I've never heard her mention it before.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A coworker keeps inviting me to 'a thing at her house'. She is having 'them' twice a week, and they are about 2 hours. Says it will change my future. She won't tell me what it is. I say FUUUUUUUU to that.  Sorry, I'm not a sucker.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need new friends.

I once had aa aquaintance from high school call me up and invite himself over for dinner.  i didn't think much of it, we do it all the time.  He then said he had some things he wanted to talk about regarding some scam he wanted us to buy into.  I told him he could come over for dinner any time he wanted but there would be no selling.  I haven't talked to him since.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A coworker keeps inviting me to 'a thing at her house'. She is having 'them' twice a week, and they are about 2 hours. Says it will change my future. She won't tell me what it is. I say FUUUUUUUU to that.  Sorry, I'm not a sucker.

Is she hot?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is she hot?

This guy gets it.

To the OP, have you tried it?  Maybe it will change your life
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dude, you're missing out on weekly orgies.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I once had aa aquaintance from high school call me up and invite himself over for dinner.  i didn't think much of it, we do it all the time.  He then said he had some things he wanted to talk about regarding some scam he wanted us to buy into.  I told him he could come over for dinner any time he wanted but there would be no selling.  I haven't talked to him since.

/thread

What you've discovered is an amazing new opportunity... to surround yourself with better people.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

sounds like an orgy instead, just bring lube and condoms.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pool party,dude. FO!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is she hot?

This guy gets it.

To the OP, have you tried it?  Maybe it will change your life

Hell no I won't try it.  If it worked it wouldn't have a business plan that requires a guilt trip on friends and family to buy your shit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I ended a relationship with what had been good friends because of one of those scams. They invited us over to dinner, we just assumed it would be another dinner/game/movie night like we had had in the past. Instead, there's another couple there, then the 'movie' is a promo video, then the brochures came out... I can't stand MLM crap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How in the fuck can people be so stupid??

Damn friends of ours are completely wrapped up in this multi-level marketing pyramid scam and won't leave us alone because we won't join up or go to their seminars.  Now they're starting to get upset and lash out with text messages.  What the fuck?  I want nothing to do with it.  Somehow it cured her chronic back pain.  Funny, because I've never heard her mention it before.  

I'm guessing this is some kind of supplement?  If its marketers are making claims like it cures chronic back pain, contact the FDA and shut them down.

My old boss was involved with some of this junk called 'Sea Silver'.  It was fruit juice with algae, but the feds came in when their salespeople started saying it cured cancer, gonorrhea, the common cold, etc.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
You mistook them for friends.  They aren't.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#14]
That MLM shit is like a mental disease/drug addiction. Once people start doing it they keep trying ever new scam to get a fix.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#15]
MLM won't work without using your friends.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's a phase.  They'll lose their ass on it and things will be fine.  She grew up with my wife since they were kids.  No way we're abandoning them.

I also have a related story.  I had a friend from my Engineering classes call me up a year or so after we graduated.  Said he had an engineering contracting gig that I could do part time.  Said he and his boss would come down and meet me.  They drove 2 hours and we met at a nice restaurant.  I brought my resume and everything.  We sat down and I knew something was wrong when the "boss" told the waitress we would just be having water.  Yep, it was a sales pitch to join a pyramid scheme.  I was polite, but told them we didn't need to waste either of our time and I got up and left.  Fucking people are stupid.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I had some friends back in college that got involved with one of those pyramid schemes and they tried to get me to join for a while. I told them no and that they were dumb for wasting their time and money being involved with that crap. They got a little mad at first but after a short while they figured it out for themselves and apologized to me for being dicks.

It was hilarious though when the first started going to the seminars and meeting with people higher on the pyramid because they would talk about those people like they were gods or something. Actually, now that I think about it, that is sort of scary.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had some friends back in college that got involved with one of those pyramid schemes and they tried to get me to join for a while. I told them no and that they were dumb for wasting their time and money being involved with that crap. They got a little mad at first but after a short while they figured it out for themselves and apologized to me for being dicks.

It was hilarious though when the first started going to the seminars and meeting with people higher on the pyramid because they would talk about those people like they were gods or something. Actually, now that I think about it, that is sort of scary.

Yes it is.  They are completely wrapped up in the people that are higher than them.  It's frightening.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Back around 2000 I was job searching.  I was just out of high school, hoping to get a good job to stick with.  Went to a bunch of "interviews."  Spotted the formula real quick.. when the "interview" took place in a conference room with 50 other people.. just walk away.  It was always a MLM sales pitch.

I can't help but laugh when I'd get approached by random people at gas stations giving me a pitch about a "business opportunity."  What a miserable life that must be having to creep it up at gas stations trying to get strangers to sign up for this shit..lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Stay far, far away!  I went through those pyramid schemes twice in the past year with friends and they both went out of business and my friends both lost their money.  SUCKERS!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is she hot?

She's a classic two face case, completely makeup dependent. She flirts with anything that has testicles. Not to mention she has 2 kids under 3 and ex-hubby-baby-daddy in jail FEDERAL PRISON. Winner for sure!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, it does work, you just have to get in really early so you are near the top of the pyramid.  It doesn't work for most people because they got in waaaaay to late.  The guys in the first few levels of the pyramid make a shitload of money because the thousands of people under them are out busting their ass and they get a cut of every sale they make.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a friend that started off with Monavie a few years back, quit his job, lost all of his savings, drove off his fiance.  It was a mess.  He then proceeded to hop from one pyramid scheme to another and had to move back in with his parents, but still wouldn't give up on that shit.

If your friends won't leave you alone about it, do this:

Normally they have meetings with a group of other people who have bought in.  They will usually get together regularly to talk about how rich they will all be, and often new potential idiots are invited to these meetings and everyone tries to gang up and pressure them to join.  Do a bunch of research on whatever company your friends are being duped by, print out documents, find dirt, read all of the fine print of all of their contracts, etc.  Print out source documents and take extensive notes.  Go in there and bomb their meeting with questions that blow holes in their fantasy.  Here are some good documents I found on their website:

Policies and Procedures

Pyramid Scheme Structure

You might ask if they have an income disclosure statement.  There are some federal regulations out there that require most MLM companies to publish an income disclosure statement, and have it prominently displayed at all times while claims about potential earnings are made.  I couldn't find one for Genesis Pure, but you might at least ask if one exists and if not, why.  

I got some Monavie folks pretty pissed by doing this.  It is good fun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.  They are completely wrapped up in the people that are higher than them.  It's frightening.  

It's a very cult like environment.  Definitely was creepy as fuck at the few seminar deals I was tricked into attending.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought this thread was going to be about the band Genesis

Anyway, as someone who has made a life for himslef in legitimate sales (like I sell products for profit, period.) I loathe MLM scams with the intensity of a thousand suns.

But, we have a few goofball defenders on this board, so I'll bow out before this turns into a shitfest.

FWIW, I knew some folks who were doing straight up illegal, cash pyramiding back in the 90's. I have more respect for them than I do Amway retards.

Speed
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, it does work, you just have to get in really early so you are near the top of the pyramid.  It doesn't work for most people because they got in waaaaay to late.  The guys in the first few levels of the pyramid make a shitload of money because the thousands of people under them are out busting their ass and they get a cut of every sale they make.

There's another way for it to work...

Work on the company's tax/payroll/legal department . I have a relative that was very high up in Monavie's accounting department, he made enough money to buy a great condo in Honolulu within his first 5 years. Cash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#29]
They are "not" your friends; you are their "mark"!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is she hot?

She's a classic two face case, completely makeup dependent. She flirts with anything that has testicles. Not to mention she has 2 kids under 3 and ex-hubby-baby-daddy in jail FEDERAL PRISON. Winner for sure!

I would hit it and quit it with a vengeance!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I hate these damn things... they are on the decline I believe... Buy toothpaste 30% off? WTF, I can go buy a tube with 30% more for free.... same difference right? Leave me alone.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I feel all your pain.  Utah is full of MLM snake-oil companies.  It took the combined efforts of several family members to convince my MIL to give up "colloidal silver" when that was the latest fad.

My wife and I have a simple request to anyone pushing supplements: "Show us the peer-reviewed research published in a reputable science or medical journal."  It's amazing how quickly that ends the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Also ask her to confirm that this product helped cure her back pain.  Then ask her if it is the policy of the company to endorse such claims.  Then ask if such claims have been approved by the FDA.

Ask those questions in that order.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#34]
MLM people are funny.

I had a friend who was trying to get me to join this "World Ventures" travel organization. She was hot, actually she was a cheerleader for the Coyotes (NHL), so naturally she thought she was talented because she could talk most idiots into her product.

However, with me, she couldn't get anywhere with. She'd always tell me numbers on the travel industry, despite the fact that I'm a Business Analyst for one of the biggest hotel chains in the world. I would chuckle the whole time.

Now, I make it a point to avoid her. She always send us pictures of different towns she visits with her weird "World Ventures" posters surrounding everyone in the picture. All of the people look like drooling idiot guys, don't even know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll probably be punting a long time family friend shortly over MLM crap.  It seems that when people get involved in MLM stuff if you don't buy in you can't have any type of relationship with them.  All have followed the same trend, they ask me to get in on their thing, I say no, they ask again, I say no, sometimes I get ambushed at a dinner or something, tell them no, and at some point they stop asking and I don't generally hear from them again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Get smarter friends.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I hate these damn things... they are on the decline I believe... Buy toothpaste 30% off? WTF, I can go buy a tube with 30% more for free.... same difference right? Leave me alone.

They seem to come and go in phases.  One company will burn itself out (the pyramid collapses when they can't get enough new recruits) and fade away.  Then two or three years later another similar company will pop up to take it's place, based on some fruit discovered on some tropical island that is somehow supposed to be the new cure for cancer, fibromyalgia, etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll probably be punting a long time family friend shortly over MLM crap.  It seems that when people get involved in MLM stuff if you don't buy in you can't have any type of relationship with them.  All have followed the same trend, they ask me to get in on their thing, I say no, they ask again, I say no, sometimes I get ambushed at a dinner or something, tell them no, and at some point they stop asking and I don't generally hear from them again.

With my friend who got suckered into this stuff, I just came out and told him it was a scam and I wasn't going to waste my money.  I didn't try to politely decline or anything, just told him it was a sack of shit.  He didn't get mad at me about it, he just stopped asking me and moved on to other people.  Of course your mileage may vary, but really I think its best to not pussy-foot around it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#39]
My step-son's, wife's mom is a big mary Kay mugwhump.  For a MLM set up, at least they actually sell stuff.  According my The Little Red-Headed Woman likes the stuff.

But, damn, those Mary Kay people make radical islamists look like disinterested third parties.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#40]
How about Cutco? Same bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#41]
MLM schemes are designed to strip-mine personal relationship capital for financial gain. They're good for showing you who the naive and foolish of your friends are, if you didn't know already.

Cutco? Same idea, but with more lying.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work on the company's tax/payroll/legal department . I have a relative that was very high up in Monavie's accounting department, he made enough money to buy a great condo in Honolulu within his first 5 years. Cash.

There is definitely money being made by those companies.  People are getting rich.  But the people getting rich for sure aren't the ones who are pitching it to their family at Thanksgiving dinner..haha

I used to load trucks for UPS, I was surprised how many boxes came down from MLM companies like Amway and Monavie.  Those companies are definitely making a fortune.. sadly 90% of their "sales staff" aren't making shit for their efforts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My step-son's, wife's mom is a big mary Kay mugwhump.  For a MLM set up, at least they actually sell stuff.  According my The Little Red-Headed Woman likes the stuff.

But, damn, those Mary Kay people make radical islamists look like disinterested third parties.

Yup, the worst manifestation of MLM is MLM affiliate marketing online... they evade pyramid scam laws by selling you the service of 'training', then tell you to tell other people that you will teach them how to make money by selling the product you are selling to them. Only difference is the online MLM scams generally 'fill up' on the top slots before it even goes public, then it runs for 6 months, gets rebranded, and runs again.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Several years ago a friend called a bunch of us to "come over and we'll play some hoops and drink some beer".

First friend that showed up called all of us to tell us that it was a scheme for something he was selling.

Being old high school friends who grew up together the first guy punched pyramid boy in the mouth for being a fucking liar and wasting our saturday.

Soooooooooooo ....

Everyone came to my house and shot skeet.

Including the guy who lied to us.

He actually brought beer and pizza for afterwords.

Redneck solution.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ah The Mary Kay Commando, there is no more fierce of a defender of their faith in the world.  Air drop them with a fleet of pink Caddies into Iran and things would be over in short order.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is definitely money being made by those companies.  People are getting rich.  But the people getting rich for sure aren't the ones who are pitching it to their family at Thanksgiving dinner..haha

I used to load trucks for UPS, I was surprised how many boxes came down from MLM companies like Amway and Monavie.  Those companies are definitely making a fortune.. sadly 90% of their "sales staff" aren't making shit for their efforts.

Of course, you can't pay 15 people for the sales that 1 person is making, and have many people actually profiting. There's a lady who lives in a tiny house on a small goat farm, who sends my parents an invitation once a month to a dinner so she can tell them how whatever product has changed their life. I just want to tell her 'You live on a tiny house on a goat farm, and you want to pass out brochures about the system you've bought into, that's covered in pictures of dudes in sunglasses with expensive cars and houses... and you don't understand why people laugh at you?'
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

herpes

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a new multilevel marketing scheme every week. If your friends are that ate up, maybe look for new ones? Either that or slap him and hope he comes to his senses.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wouldn't put MK in the same class as any of these other MLM compaines.  Mary Kay has been  named one of the best companies to work for.  Mary Kay offers a plan with specific goals.  When you reach the goal you gain the reward.  It's specific and it's definite. You don't have to rely on someone's opinion of your work efforts to be rewarded or promoted to the next level.  The company has also been around since 1963.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're gonna get raped if you go over there.

Physically, emotionally, financially? Who knows. But you will be raped.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top