Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2013 4:19:29 AM EDT
I am about to replace a 20 yr old washer with a more efficient unit and am considering replacing my dryer as well. The first dryer I had was an ancient electric unit, I switched to gas and it seemed that it took the new unit a good bit longer to dry clothes. I can either keep using the gas dryer I have now or buy a newer unit that is hopefully more efficient. New laundry room is in the house and has a vent fan that I believe is required to be run if a gas dryer is being used. Has hookups for both styles. The gas dryer is $90 more expensive, could take a while to recoup the extra cost and focus is on quick drying. Hopefully whichever one I get, the better washer (faster spin cycle) will get clothes dryer before going in to reduce time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I say either way is fine. If I was buying today, I'd probably go electric.

Electric is cheaper, both to buy and to run, and better (more efficient) than they used to be.

My dryer is electric and probably 15yrs old, works great.

eta: some people are really set in their ways on stuff like this.

For a dryer, I see no real benefit to gas. For a stove, I won't accept electric.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas (especially natural gas) will be cheaper to operate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Doesn't seem to be the case here.

My gas bill skyrockets easily, while my electric stays cheap as hell.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Gas is loads better
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my electric unit, works great, no gas bill to pay and electric rates are really low where i live

my buddy has a gas unit and it takes for fucking ever to dry a load
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Gas vs electric for the same model should take almost the same amount of time to dry.
The question is your energy price. Here in Maryland, NG is dirt cheap compared to electric, so I ditched my electric dryer and installed a gas one. When I did the math, I was going to save $40/yr going to gas based on my energy costs.

Is the laundry room on an exterior wall, or why would a fan be needed? Boost fans used to be UL listed, but they've stopped testing them so no fans currently on the market are approved. You'd also need the same venting for an electric dryer to get the humid exhaust out of your house.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Gas as in Natural gas or Propane? If Natural gas, then go with it, if propane, then it's a toss up. NG will be about 1/2 the cost to dry your clothes VS electric, propane can be a wash depending on what you are paying for propane per gallon and KW cost.

Stay away from front loader washers. Most are nowhere near as good as the hype and almost everyone sources the bearing from china and they are crap.

I would suggest W-pool for a dryer especially, they have a VG design and they are easy to work on and diagnose as long as you don't go stupid and get the high end models. [you really don't need it] I still recommend the basic W-pool agitator type washers, they have an excellent track record and a long lifespan if taken care of. LG/Samsung have expensive repair parts, Fridgidaire and GE are junky, Make sure that if you buy a W-pool, it's not a rebranded LG/Samsung because they did some of that recently.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I've owned both.
When I built my last house I went with gas.
For me, of the two, gas is much less expensive to operate.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. Go gas, hands down.

If you go gas, metallic vent all the way. No plastic shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gas vs electric for the same model should take almost the same amount of time to dry.
The question is your energy price. Here in Maryland, NG is dirt cheap compared to electric, so I ditched my electric dryer and installed a gas one. When I did the math, I was going to save $40/yr going to gas based on my energy costs.

Is the laundry room on an exterior wall, or why would a fan be needed? Boost fans used to be UL listed, but they've stopped testing them so no fans currently on the market are approved. You'd also need the same venting for an electric dryer to get the humid exhaust out of your house.

Kharn

Just doing some reading on the subject it seems it's due to how the combustion takes place vs electric not having that consideration. Expel excess CO2? Not sure, but having to run the fan is a bit annoying. My laundry area is in the garage now so no vent fan required. Not a booster fan, just an overhead vent like in a bathroom.

http://www.hgtvremodels.com/for-pros/installing-dryer-vents-to-code/index.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Since you have both hook ups, 6 of one, half dozen of anothee.

I personally like gas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Just checked my current dryers duct, no real buildups, flushed it with some compressed air and lint is on the roof so not blocked. 1.5 hours to dry clothes is retarded. Probably something wrong with the burner or something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just checked my current dryers duct, no real buildups, flushed it with some compressed air and lint is on the roof so not blocked. 1.5 hours to dry clothes is retarded. Probably something wrong with the burner or something.

It's the coils on the gas valve, 10 bucks and 15 minutes and you'll be back in business. They get  weak and start to drop out as they heat up causing dry times to increase.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#17]
When you sit around a camp fire, do you stay warmer close to the fire or far away? I thought so. With gas, you are burning the "fire" at the source needed, with electric, you are burning the "fire" far far away at the power plant and thus aren't getting the full potential of what is being burned.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Electric for dryer and oven, gas for absolutely everything else
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Electric if you want to reclaim the heat

Wait 15 minutes to flip the vent and humidity isn't really a concern

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Please clarify. Reclaim the heat in the house? I live in Texas so not really an issue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#21]
With the rates we have around here natural gas is much less expensive to operate.  Check your local rates and find a web calculator to compare.

FYI it takes about 55 mins to completely dry a load of towels in my gas dryer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#22]

electric dryers are easy to work on..
I have a belt and idler pulley out..
30 bucks and an hour and I will be back in business.

Last time it went down it was a thermocouple switch that was 17.00..
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an electric, and use it sparingly.  I usually hang dry most of my clothes, and if I need them softer and wrinkle free, in the dryer for 10 mins.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have Gas , go gas. Electric is much higher in my area.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Electric has no downsides, and gas has no upsides, at least here.  Electric all the way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please clarify. Reclaim the heat in the house? I live in Texas so not really an issue.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Electric will not blow your house to splinters.  I will never understand folks who pipe explosive gas into their living space.

If you aren't meticulous about keeping a gas drier clean, they tend to catch fire.  Seen it more times than I can remember.

Get electric.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#28]
In my experience as a electrician the newer electric dryers are nothing but problems.  You will be fixing it all the time....i go to many many service calls where they complain our wiring is faulty (1 year warranty on our work).  Every single time its their brand new less than a year old dryer that broke and nothing wrong with the wiring.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Electric will not blow your house to splinters.  I will never understand folks who pipe explosive gas into their living space.

If you aren't meticulous about keeping a gas drier clean, they tend to catch fire.  Seen it more times than I can remember.

Get electric.

There are probably 1000 houses [or more] that burn down due to electrical issues then houses that have gone up in flames from a gas leak [that was not deliberate]. We go to EVERY house fire that has our gas or electric, you'd do well to cut your electric service at the pole if you really want to be safe.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Replace with whatever your house is wired or plumbed for... and dry on the line outside as much as you can.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/l9v5TWzvJPQ

I've got one of those. We divert the heat in during the winter and out during the summer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Replace with whatever your house is wired or plumbed for... and dry on the line outside as much as you can.

It's setup for both. It's a bit humid here for line drying but we should definitely start hanging more things as our new house has a huge utility room.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#34]
during a power outage, you will be able to power the washer on a 110 small generator and the dryer will not require a larger gen pack for the 220
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

during a power outage, you will be able to power the washer on a 110 small generator and the dryer will not require a larger gen pack for the 220

hang dry them during a power outage....

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

hang dry them during a power outage....

Least of my problems during an outage. After Hurricane Ike we were only without power for 4 days, the whole family has tons of clothes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep, and they have a lot less failure-prone parts than gas dryers, too.

With a gas dryer, you've got ignitors, gas solenoids, plus a lot of safety interlocks. The first time that flame isn't just perfect, you're going to be calling a repairman.

Simple is good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a gas dryer, you've got ignitors, gas solenoids, plus a lot of safety interlocks. The first time that flame isn't just perfect, you're going to be calling a repairman.

Simple is good.

My "complex" GE Profile gas dry is still going strong after 15 years.
The only dryer I've owned that failed was an electric Maytag.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple is good.

My "complex" GE Profile gas dry is still going strong after 15 years.
The only dryer I've owned that failed was an electric Maytag.

Doh, Maytag's are what I am looking at. Home Depot has 10% off this month.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I use electric just because I leave the dryer running a lot while I am out on errands. The less unattended flames and flex riser extensions in my house the better.

My boiler, fireplace log, and cook top are the only gas in the house and they are all hard piped to their respective regulators.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I use electric just because I leave the dryer running a lot while I am out on errands. The less unattended flames and flex riser extensions in my house the better.

My boiler, fireplace log, and cook top are the only gas in the house and they are all hard piped to their respective regulators.

What is your main concern with the flex-connections, the tubing itself or the flare fitting? I assume you have to use an NPT to flare adapter regardless of the delivery means.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Electric because you can still use it with with a generator.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If the power is out, I'm hanging my choltes to dry.  Burning fuel reserves for somethng that happens anyway seems counter productive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the power is out, I'm hanging my choltes to dry.  Burning fuel reserves for somethng that happens anyway seems counter productive.

Good for you in a cold, dark and rainy state.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Only if you have a 240v feed from the generator, and a pretty big generator at that. Look at what a typical electric dryer draws (5k-6k watts running, more to start, is common).

Gas dryers need electricity as well, but a LOT less, to operate. Basically enough to run the motor, but all the heat (which is most of the energy involved) comes from gas. And natural gas service rarely goes out - that's a big reason why people like natural gas. They can have heat, hot water, and hot food even if the power goes out.

I have and always have had electric dryers despite having gas service in every place I've lived since birth, but I can see the merit in a gas one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you have a 240v feed from the generator, and a pretty big generator at that. Look at what a typical electric dryer draws (5k-6k watts running, more to start, is common).

Gas dryers need electricity as well, but a LOT less, to operate. Basically enough to run the motor, but all the heat (which is most of the energy involved) comes from gas. And natural gas service rarely goes out - that's a big reason why people like natural gas. They can have heat, hot water, and hot food even if the power goes out.

I have and always have had electric dryers despite having gas service in every place I've lived since birth, but I can see the merit in a gas one.

There are plenty 120v dryers out there. I use one. Takes 45 minutes to dry an entire weeks worth of my wife's and my clothes together.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Go gas.  It's twice as efficient.   How do they get electricity?  Anything you can heat with gas will cost half as much per btu used.   A gas dryer should also dry faster because it can put out more heat, now the newer units don't seem to be doing that.  They all are drying slower.  My mom has a 1500 ge dryer on gas and it takes 15 min longer to dry than her older gas dryer.  My mom owns a gas company and I worked there for 12 years.   Check for rebates from your state, at one time Texas would give you $1500 for 4 or 5 gas appliances
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your main concern with the flex-connections, the tubing itself or the flare fitting? I assume you have to use an NPT to flare adapter regardless of the delivery means.

The yellow pvc shielded ones are better than the naked corrugated ones for sure. I don't trust them behind alliances that may have objects fall on them in kitchens or utility closets and damage them. I also had one burned through from an arc thrown out of a down draft range's blower motor once when an HVAC helper was installing exhaust ducting and cut through the 220 50A service cable. Given he force the breaker closed and back feed the blower through a leg of the mangled cable, it then threw a spark from the melting 110 motor and ignited the gas line. How the hell that motor got energized through the service bus of the appliance I don't know, but it did and then wham. I've just looked at them in a cautious way since and hard piped from then out wherever possible and electric was near.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's not like I have ever seen a timer fail in a manner to continue to supply power to the element of an electric dryer [usually on one leg] even after it's turned off................ And it's not like one I used to have didn't fail in a manner that the element never shut off and almost catch the house on fire.  [you couldn't touch the dryer housing for well over an hour because it was so hot]

Dryers are one appliance I wouldn't DREAM of leaving running while I left the house.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top