BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We have insurance through the wife's employer. The cost is $65.00/mo with $300.00 deductible each, 85/15 coinsurance up to $3k then 100%. It just went up this year to the $3k then 100%, it was 2.5k then 100% for the last 4 years. Prior to that last 4 years only difference was $200.00 deductible each. We are in our early 50's and non-smokers. The wife's employer is a very large retail company that has Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Some people I know have been buying their own insurance. IIRC $550.00/mo w/$2.5k deductible for an individual in late 50's non-smoker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am self employed as well. I pay $109 per month, $5000 deductible. I use Assurant.

If you are paying $9000 you are seriously ill. Or you have a $1 deductible.

ETA: I am 53

There are many preexisting conditions that don't affect you much now, but may/will in the future.  Insurance companies charge a pretty penny for the potential future risk.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My health insurance is the same cost as it was last year, $50/month, though the plan changed slightly.  It's like a combination of a PPO and HMO.  It probably helps that the company I work for has over 45,000 employees.

The other $700 or $800 a month is being paid by your employer with money that is not going into your paycheck. Nothing is free.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top