BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The folks that lose their full-time job and have to take a part-time employment will soon forget who/what caused the problem. - they might not ever even understand why!

They will just blame the richer and the job creators even more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My buddy wasn't thinking that far ahead - he and his bosses simply thought "Great, more customers!"
I wonder how giddy your friend will be when she sees what being that .gov subcontractor will entail.

Honestly, I could GAF. We got into an argument where she accused me of being a hypocrite because I have .gov health care (Tricare.)

I told her its a perk/retainer benefit from my employer, who has the legal right to send me to my death. I know the deal, the employer knows the deal, its an arm's length contract. I also need to maintain fitness standards, training standards and other requirements just maintain my status. I asked her when I'd see her down at MEPS, or when BCBS would extend me employee benefits as some Joe Schome.

ETA: She's a lesbian whose hot-button issue is abortion. Kind of makes me go sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sucks for Ed that he had to learn the hard way.  Sucks worse, though, for the rest of us that knew what was coming...

Some have found a way to twist Bush into this. I bet he will.

"If Bush hadn't been fighting two unjust wars and putting it on the credit card, we wouldn't have this problem"
"If Republicans would just compromise on revenue from millionaires and billionaires, making them pay their fair share, main street wouldn't be suffering"

This too shall be spun.

Also, I LOVE that these idiots are starting to realize that elections have consequences AND they will not be receiving free healthcare from mommy government like they thought they would.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But wait!  The news just had announcements that Lowes was hiring nationally at a higher rate this year due to the IMPROVING ECONOMY AND ADDITIONAL HOME BUILDING.  This being a sign of how well the current administration is improving things.

Just one story..there are others

I can't believe that they would just be hiring more people to reduce the hours of current employees to avoid Obamacare cost!

Idiots.  

Shit! I never thought of this.

Having to hire 2-3 part timers instead of 1 full time employee is really gonna make it look like Obama is the awesome and has fixed everything. Looking at the raw numbers, it is going to make the unemployment rate look like the best, fastest turn around ever.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck em all.....stupid choices have consequences. A lot more companys will cut full timers and hire twice as many part timers just to avoid the cost of providing insurance. If they do offer insurance the cost will be so high most part timers will not be able to afford it. If I were a business owner I would tell them the truth....."BHO cuased this with his poor choices and if you don't like it call him. If you are not happy here leave...McD's is always hiring."  Lot of folks will learn what their employers really think about them now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The 40 hour work week will be a thing of the past for anyone that works for a large business and is unskilled labor. The FSA only has themselves to thank as they asked for it. Now they will have to work 2 or more jobs, and buy their own health insurance. I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

Negative.
Many, many more people...people who never even considered going on welfare, will find that it's easier and cheaper to work 1 PT job and go on the .gov healthcare plan.
How many people will say to themselves:

So, I can work 50 hours/week, make less money than I did before, and pay more for health insurance?
Or, I can work 25 hrs per week, get "free" health insurance, food stamps, cash benefits, utility assistance, huge EIC checks, and actually have more money in my pocket?

Speed

You realize this was by design, right?

This.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I do. Some teenager girl w/o much family gets knocked up and now she's fucked, living on the dole for life, despite her work ethic or desire to be a productive member of society.

It's not right, and it's purely because of our flawed welfare system.
Think of how much cash this country could save by simply remediating this one situation and allowing those single mothers to transition to the workforce full time and pay all those taxes?

Think of how much cash this country could save if we incentiveized full time work for those on welfare instead of penalizing it?

Think of the future generations we could save from being brought up in an environment of welfare dependency...
I'm not talking in terms of political idealism; I'm talking about the realities of these programs. They are designed, either by purpose or by default, to keep those who want to work dependent, and give those who don't want to work, no incentive to do so.
Speed

And you think most people on welfare WANT to work!!??
I think you and I are living on a different planet.

I think you're generalizing.

Food stamps recipients have increased something like 60% in the past 4 years. You think every one of those people just decided to start gaming the system?

There are no numbers to show leaches vs. those genuinely down on their luck, but it's surely not a coincidence that the economy is poor and more folks start collecting entitlements.
Now, how many of those folks want to work, but will keep getting offered more crap NOT to work full time?

How many of those people might have already turned down full time work because our welfare system rewards minimal work effort?
Anyway, the point I'm making is that we can reduce entitlement spending by simply managing these programs in a way that incentives full time employment instead of penalizing it.
In 1990ish, my father lost his job as a warehouse manager/shipper. He collected partial unemployment and worked a job at a retail store. My mother went back to work and he worked as much as he could, but with a mortgage and a family, it still wasn't enough and we really struggled for a year or so. My mother told me she even tried to get us food stamps for that period, but because they were working we didn't qualify.

We were discussing this time a few years ago and he told me that he had sat down and figured out that had he not worked the part time job, he would have actually taken home something like another $20/week that he would have saved in taxes. He told me that the $20 would have really helped, but he couldn't bring himself to just NOT work...it just wasn't in his blood.
How many people, faced with a similar situation would tough it out and work...for less money?
That's the problem. We pay people to not work, or work little, then penalize them for working too much; there is no incentive to transition to full time employment. Ever.
Speed

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I am generalizing a bit.

DUH!!

On a serious note, I think you have a better overall opinion of the FSA types than I do.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is Genius!  Obama kills the economy and by the process, it looks like it's getting better. Sheer Genius.

I bet you are right
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is Genius!  Obama kills the economy and by the process, it looks like it's getting better. Sheer Genius.

I bet you are right

Of course, he'll spout things like:

Increased Job "creation" numbers, "real wages are higher" and "we've added x amount of newly insured" on TV and say that their policies are working.

It's straight up Orwellian doublespeak. I can predict these things

Bookmark this thread and read it all again in mid 2014

Speed

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top