Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
leeches gotta eat, same as worms..
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What in the fuck, are you kidding?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
OH HELLS YEAH! Know where I'm eatin' tonight YOLO!
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im aghast

I used to manage a red lobster for 15 years.  Retired 3 years ago but this is news to me.  I'd like to see a link to a story somewhere., until then I call

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure you can use one at the ATM in a strip club if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty sure you can use one at the ATM in a strip club if you wanted to.

Oh, irony.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
i don't know about in VA but in SD the food CAN NOT be cooked to qualify
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
went to pick up chow order for the firehouse the other day,  at the sub shop me and my partner were in line waiting for the order to be filled,  and the cock-roach ahead of us buys a pack vanilla wraps for packing his dope in, and 3 tallboys of Natty BEAST ..   ole boy whips out his little white card and goes on his way.

w.t.f.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
went to pick up chow order for the firehouse the other day,  at the sub shop me and my partner were in line waiting for the order to be filled,  and the cock-roach ahead of us buys a pack vanilla wraps for packing his dope in, and 3 tallboys of Natty BEAST ..   ole boy whips out his little white card and goes on his way.

w.t.f.

I can tell you for a fact that a person can't legally buy booze with foodstamps.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im aghast

I used to manage a red lobster for 15 years.  Retired 3 years ago but this is news to me.  I'd like to see a link to a story somewhere., until then I call

Curious about the RL salt consumption rates and method of delivery?  I'm guessing a dump truck, unless the restaurant had a rail siding, and then I'd guess gondola car.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a pizza joint here, Happy's Pizza, that has a sign in the window, "We accept EBT cards."  

Can't see why Red Lobster would be any different, just spendier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

thats how it is in Alabama, only after emergencies can someone spend it on cooked food like the tornadoes a few years back when the city didnt have power for a week.  But people are creative on how to get around that
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It is ghetto seafood, so I guess that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Sugar, flour, salt, eggs, butter, peanut butter, cheese, rice, and dried beans.

Occasionally some raw chicken or turkey.

That should be all you get.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Well if you think that's bad when I bought my G26 2 weeks ago I watched someone buy a G22 with an ebt/access card, if I didn't see it I wouldn't have believed it. And no I'm not bullshiting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Unlimited Cheddar Bay Biscuits FTMFW.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to an auto parts store the other day...they had a big sign in the window that stated they accept EBT cards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is ghetto seafood, so I guess that makes sense.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]
In MA, it is legal to use your EBT card to buy alcohol, cigarettes and get your nails done at a nail spa.

A bill was introduced 2 months ago to make that illegal but it had no support from law makers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]

used to love red lobster when i was like 8 ..... unlimited popcorn shrimp ....... fuck yeah
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#22]
In Colorado here, some people get cash as well as food stamps on an EBT card. That cash can be used anywhere that a CC or debit card can be used. Probably the same for other states.

Roger
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

w.t.f.

I bet the taxpayers paid for your "firehouse chow".  What is the difference between cockroaches?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
They can use them most places I've seen now.   And companies are proudly displaying "EBT accepted here" on their signage now.  

I had a friend that was working at a gas station who got fired because he filed all the EBT receipts he had collected for the day under "Government handouts".

Little did he know, one of his managers was getting EBT.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In MA, it is legal to use your EBT card to buy alcohol, cigarettes and get your nails done at a nail spa.

A bill was introduced 2 months ago to make that illegal but it had no support from law makers.

You're 100% sure on that one? I thought booze was unavailable. EBT is the same as foodstamps, right?

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They can use them most places I've seen now.   And companies are proudly displaying "EBT accepted here" on their signage now.  

I had a friend that was working at a gas station who got fired because he filed all the EBT receipts he had collected for the day under "Government handouts".

Little did he know, one of his managers was getting EBT.

Fast food industry lobbied for EBT usage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

w.t.f.

I bet the taxpayers paid for your "firehouse chow".  What is the difference between cockroaches?

Ouch, you gotta be fucking kidding me. Right? Tell me you're kidding me.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

w.t.f.

Ouch, you gotta be fucking kidding me. Right? Tell me you're kidding me.

i don't think he is. it is a really fucked up thing to compare though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're 100% sure on that one? I thought booze was unavailable. EBT is the same as foodstamps, right?

EBT Food and EBT Cash are different.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]
If they have Food Benefits, it can't be ready to eat / hot food.  No Red Lobster, but they could buy lobster at Safeway and take it home

If they have TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Familes) they can spend the EBT at more locations because it doesn't have to be only for grocery food.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw on the door of Auto zone yesterday in a part of town where English is not spoken that EBT cards cant be used at Autozone? So am I working so someone most likely an illegal gets their car parts for free or is this for the sodas in the fridge near the register?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

w.t.f.

I bet the taxpayers paid for your "firehouse chow".  What is the difference between cockroaches?Ouch, you gotta be fucking kidding me. Right? Tell me you're kidding me.

No, I pay for my own food.  Every fucking day, I drive by my local firehouse to 6 or 8 guys BBQing steaks and working out.  It pisses me off.  At least they could do it out back and not rub my taxpaying nose in it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Whole foods market accepts EBT for $26.00/pound Filet Mignon, take out salad bar, high dollar jucy juice.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBT Food and EBT Cash are different.

OK, thank you.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I want some mo fry skrimps
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure what state I was in, but I saw a Burger King with a "WE ACCEPT EBT" sign.

So I'm sure some Red Lobsters will take EBT.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im aghast

Curious about the RL salt consumption rates and method of delivery?  I'm guessing a dump truck, unless the restaurant had a rail siding, and then I'd guess gondola car.

A lot of garlic salt in the biscuits of course, seafood seasoning which goes on nearly everything has hi salt content and of course the scampi dishes use the same garlic seasoning as the biscuits.  We used to gonthru a couple cases of kosher salta week and we were a hi volume restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats how it is in Alabama, only after emergencies can someone spend it on cooked food like the tornadoes a few years back when the city didnt have power for a week.  But people are creative on how to get around that

All it really takes is a non digital register (doesn't scan off the bar code) and then you can just hit "$5.99" > "Grocery" > "Total" and boom. Booze on the EBT.

Probably overide it on ones like at walmart too. Just hit $5.99 deli. Just really need a person willing to ring it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's a pizza joint here, Happy's Pizza, that has a sign in the window, "We accept EBT cards."  

Can't see why Red Lobster would be any different, just spendier.

As a chain we took major credit cards and cash, stopped taking checks years ago, that's it unless they changed in the past three years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not sure what state I was in, but I saw a Burger King with a "WE ACCEPT EBT" sign.

So I'm sure some Red Lobsters will take EBT.

All red lobsters are corporate, what is taken for payment isdictated by corporate main office, different restaurants can't decide what they will accept.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Identifying Eligible Food Items
Before turning to the issue of how EBT systems might be able to differentiate between program-eligible
and ineligible items, we discuss how scanning systems identify eligible items.
It is unlawful to use FSP benefits to purchase anything other than “eligible foods.” According to
regulation, eligible foods include:
· Any food or food product intended for human consumption except alcoholic beverages,
tobacco, and hot foods and hot food products prepared for immediate consumption; and
· Seeds and plants to grow foods for the personal consumption of eligible households.4
2 The monthly redemption figure for supermarkets is $11,000; for all other stores it is $8,000.
3 Some stores process their own EFT transactions, whereas others contract with a third party for this service.
4 CFR Section 271.2 (Definitions). “Eligible foods” also includes meals prepared and delivered or served by various
institutions, as specified in the regulation.
Food stamps cannot be used to buy:
· Any non-food items, such as:
– pet foods
– soaps, paper products, and household supplies
– grooming items and cosmetics
· Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
· Vitamins and medicines
· Any food that will be eaten in the store
· Hot foods that are ready to eat
· Any food marketed to be heated in the store
In many stores it is up to the cashier to enforce these limits on program-eligible food.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Before turning to the issue of how EBT systems might be able to differentiate between program-eligible
It is unlawful to use FSP benefits to purchase anything other than “eligible foods.” According to
· Any food or food product intended for human consumption except alcoholic beverages,
tobacco, and hot foods and hot food products prepared for immediate consumption; and
· Seeds and plants to grow foods for the personal consumption of eligible households.4
2 The monthly redemption figure for supermarkets is $11,000; for all other stores it is $8,000.
3 Some stores process their own EFT transactions, whereas others contract with a third party for this service.
4 CFR Section 271.2 (Definitions). “Eligible foods” also includes meals prepared and delivered or served by various
– pet foods
· Vitamins and medicines
In many stores it is up to the cashier to enforce these limits on program-eligible food.

Not in Pa, I see these welfare rats buying hot food at Sheetz all the time. Also the cash assistance part of the ebt/access allows them to buy anything they want, they can also take the cash from any mac machine.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
– pet foods
· Vitamins and medicines

Not in Pa, I see these welfare rats buying hot food at Sheetz all the time. Also the cash assistance part of the ebt/access allows them to buy anything they want, they can also take the cash from any mac machine.

It goes on to say list the number of registered businesses that take ebt cards, strangely many are restaurants even though they say that prepared food and food that is consumed on premises are a no no.
The biggest portion I saw was gas stations, and we've all seen ebt used for booze.

Didn't say anyone followed the guidelines.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I honestly don't care, and refuse to get worked up over it. It's a distraction, and it gets conservatives frothing at the mouth, every time. The program isn't going to get any cheaper, if the government cracks down on EBT cards used at restaurants.

It's an infinitesimally small part of the federal budget, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sugar, flour, salt, eggs, butter, peanut butter, cheese, rice, and dried beans.
Occasionally some raw chicken or turkey.

That should be all you get.

Fuck that, let them starve for a couple weeks great insentive to find work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#46]
EBT and welfare should work as follows.

once you start, every week the check gets smaller and smaller till its gone.

and have the checks get smaller every month for new inquires till its gone forever.

If we cut the FSA off overnight they would riot and well I dont wanna deal with that. I live in a FSA ridden city
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Papa Murphy, AKA Welfare Pizza

In The FAQ

Does Papa Murphy's accept EBT — Electronic Benefits Transfer?

Yes. Papa Murphy's gladly accepts EBT at nearly every store location. Contact your nearest Papa Murphy's for details.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#50]
In Alaska, the food has to be cold.

At the deli, that would mean:  sandwich, salad, etc.
Otherwise it would be unprepared boxed/canned goods.

No hot food.
Most energy drinks are also a no-go. Some are accepted because they're not classified in the stores system as energy drinks.
I've seen people buy redbull and monster drinks with EBT.

AFAIK, no restaurants accept EBT. But there may be exceptions.

If red lobster accepts them, well, then that's not right... If they're food is not served cold. If someone who is using FS eats there, they're either lacking hundreds of thousands of brain cells and will starve until the first of the month, or they're scamming the system.

I've seen three types of people use EBT... Scammers, Lazy, and Necessity.
1.  The scammer buys a TON of junk food, energy drinks, and other unhealthy crap. These people are usually excessively over/under weight, have more kids than they can count on two hands, and either drive an old POS beater or a new model sports car. Simply put:  trailer trash.
2.  The lazy group lives entirely off of government support, has no job or desire to get one. Usually a loner, with one or less dependants. Weigh is usually on the thinner side, but sometimes excessively overweight. Drives an older model car, bicycle, or on foot. They buy actual food, ration their available EBT funds, generally buying food from the natural/granola section of the store, and are usually hippy types.
3.  The necessity group selects food intelligently, by what will last longer on their pantry shelf, provides more food per weight, and is most nutritious. They ration their available EBT funds, over the course of the month. They generally drive a vehicle made within the last 7-10 years. They are HWP and only trying to get a hand up, from a hardship, not a handout.

***I'll add that some people are seasonal workers, with no desire to supplement their income with another job. When they're seasonal job ends, they go on unemployment and FS. They usually have a nice home, and newer model vehicle. Guess they fall under the lazy category.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top