[#2]
Yep, blue
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Your friends.

They are wrong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Most mount manufacturers recommend against using thread locker on ring caps, but blue is OK on the base to receiver. Not sure why on the caps, probably because it isn't necessary and you have a higher risk of damaging the threads, especially since many rings are made from aluminum.

ETA: I have a Nightforce for a 308 precision bolt gun and only use blue on the base to receiver. I don't have anything on the ring caps and have not experienced any problems with loosening at a proper torque of 15 ft-lb each.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most mount manufacturers recommend against using thread locker on ring caps, but blue is OK on the base to receiver. Not sure why on the caps, probably because it isn't necessary and you have a higher risk of damaging the threads, especially since many rings are made from aluminum.

ETA: I have a Nightforce for a 308 precision bolt gun and only use blue on the base to receiver. I don't have anything on the ring caps and have not experienced any problems with loosening at a proper torque of 15 ft-lb each.

like others have said, if it's threaded...it gets blue Loctite.  I don't Loctite the site adjustment caps, but they are attached anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
According to Loctite Blue is overkill for scope fasteners....I still use blue on small fasteners, purple on the ones I know I will be removing.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
No Loctite on mine..
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

like others have said, if it's threaded...it gets blue Loctite.  I don't Loctite the site adjustment caps, but they are attached anyway.

I'm not referring to the caps on the scope, I am talking about ring caps, the top half of the rings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not referring to the caps on the scope, I am talking about ring caps, the top half of the rings.

Oh, then I Loctite them too!  Hey, can't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Pink Loctite, since it's intended for use on smaller threaded fasteners like are found on scope mounts.  Used that on small items since the late 1970s when I first found it.

To clean the stuff off screws and other hardware I've found that model airplane fuel works just as well as the "Loctite dissolver" that Loctite sells.  The major ingrediant in the Loctite product is nitromethane and so is model airplane fuel.  And the fuel is alot cheaper than Loctite's product.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Purple

correct answer..
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I stake mine.  Properly.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I stake mine.  Properly.  

You stake scope rings?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, then I Loctite them too!  Hey, can't hurt anything.

Yeah, I don't think it'll hurt anything. The only thing I would say is when I mount new scopes I tend to get very picky with it and sometimes end up making little adjustments to position after shooting. I must have mounted my Nightforce 3 times before I was happy with the relief. If I had to clean the blue of the threads each time it would start to get annoying.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always used blue Loctite on scope rings, but some friends tell me you should never put Loctite on them.  I always Loctite every screw on a firearm, am I wrong?

Rings from Larue come with loctite preinstalled on them.  Tell Mark he is wrong.  I dare you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stake mine.  Properly.  

You stake scope rings?

That's a new one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
rocksett works good too

dont do it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always used blue Loctite on scope rings, but some friends tell me you should never put Loctite on them.  I always Loctite every screw on a firearm, am I wrong?

Rings from Larue come with loctite preinstalled on them.  Tell Mark he is wrong.  I dare you.

I said I use blue Loctite...I think he is correct.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use blue on mine.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Neve have.  No problems so far for 40 years.  I did however, have to use the blue on the front sight on my Ruger MK II that kept coming loose.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
clean threads properly torqued is all you need.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Blue. Not every time, just when they want to loosen
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But why not, it's cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But why not, it' cheap insurance.

only time i use loctite on a customers gun is when the screw is short on length, so almost never. Good clean threads and torque it all you need.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Blue here
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only time i use loctite on a customers gun is when the screw is short on length, so almost never. Good clean threads and torque it all you need.

Meh, I like overkill I guess.  My screws will not come loose, no matter what I do to the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

your really pimping for loctite here. you get a sales commision from them?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I'm still active duty .mil.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I like overkill I guess.  My screws will not come loose, no matter what I do to the weapon.

and i grumble each time I have to fix a rounded out screw where a customer soaked it in blue or red.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and i grumble each time I have to fix a rounded out screw where a customer soaked it in blue or red.

I get you with red, but I have NEVER had a problem removing a screw with blue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]
ok.. for small screws under .25 in diameter use purple. .25 and larger just use a drop of blue. If YOU HAVE TO USE IT!

please think of the gunsmiths!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]
blue on the screws

red on the barrel extension
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ok.. for small screws under .25 in diameter use purple. .25 and larger just use a drop of blue. If YOU HAVE TO USE IT!

please think of the gunsmiths!

I only use a drop on anything, anymore and it would suck to remove...even with blue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one recently where the action screws had been blue Loctite'd.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have never seen some one use half a bottle of it on a base then try to take it off the torx screw with a allen wrench, a few years later.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
BLUE!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said I use blue Loctite...I think he is correct.

Damn...I was TRYING to get a fight going
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one recently where the action screws had been blue Loctite'd.

I had a S&W model 10 come in where they accdently dumped a full bottle of blue on it and it set for a few days.. That was fun!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you have never seen some one use half a bottle of it on a base then try to take it off the torx screw with a allen wrench, a few years later.

Like all things, in moderation it is good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't bought a mount in 2 years at least...must be something new. My 3 came with little plastic vials of blue locite...which I didn't use. I enjoy living on the edge with a scope mount that might come loose at any time, adds to the challenge.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#41]
red = dead

some idiot used red on a scope mount, now when i need to remove and swap the mount i cant get it out and the screws are stripped.
only solution is gunsmith to drill it out, weld and re-tap the screw holes .....gee thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

forgot a smiley face.

at the carpenters union training center i have taken a few millwright classes. they stress clean threads and proper torque.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stake mine.  Properly.  

You stake scope rings?

That's a new one.

Obvious amateurs are obvious.  

We laugh at you wankers in the Tier 1 locker room.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

forgot a smiley face.

at the carpenters union training center i have taken a few millwright classes. they stress clean threads and proper torque.

Clean threads, proper torque and a "drop" of Loctite, and all is well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't use to believe in loctite. I torqued down my battlesights like you suggest. I did a mag dump and the rear one fucking fell off... Luckily it was at the range and not when my ass was on the line. I learned my lesson.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stake mine.  Properly.  

You stake scope rings?

That's a new one.

Obvious amateurs are obvious.  

We laugh at you wankers in the Tier 1 locker room.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#47]
The scope rings and scope tube spring load the ring screws, so threadlocker is not as necessary there.  The base screws deflect less metal when they're tightened, so they come loose easier.  As suggested, threadlocker is helpful there.

But I follow directions.  If it says locktite the ring screws I will.  It just makes it hastier tightening the ring screws evenly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
red = dead

some idiot used red on a scope mount, now when i need to remove and swap the mount i cant get it out and the screws are stripped.
only solution is gunsmith to drill it out, weld and re-tap the screw holes .....gee thanks

Use a heat gun to soften the loctite, then back the screws out.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
red = dead

The temperature at which red Loctite decomposes is past the point any finish that is on a part will discolor.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
red = dead

The temperature at which red Loctite decomposes is past the point any finish that is on a part will discolor.

What he said, took me an hour with mapp gas and a 2 foot breaker bar to free a bolt on my Jeep.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top