Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Get the F*%# away from my coffee!!
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:57:13 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 8:57:31 AM by AJ-IN-JAX]
Just ran across this, figured I'd pass it along.

WARNING: THIS IS A MEDICAL PRESENTATION AND THERE ARE PICTURES OF ACTUAL GSW VICTIMS!!

Dr. Andreas Grabinsky (Anesthesiologist) from Seattle, talks about GSW's. He works with the surgeons and trauma team in the OR. He provides a interesting look at ballistics from their perspective. Essentially he considers a handgun wound, a handgun wound, and that common calibers lack power. He also makes distinctions between the types of damage seen from the traditional rifle round and the modern small caliber high velocity rounds.

"There are other issues involved, besides questions of fact." ~ Atlas Shrugged

-------

"Because free men will never consent to give up the means of defending their liberties."
Chris_1522
Silly yellow dog
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:58:48 AM
Yet again. For all practical purposes, they're all the same.
echo_5
unconventional™
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:00:40 AM
Dupe, but worth repeating.
Legalize Freedom!
Real25WSSM
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:02:14 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:02:39 AM by Real25WSSM]
...good video....

..that is why I need 30+ round magazines...continue shooting until the threat STOPS...

thank you sir...
BuckeyeDoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:02:53 AM
Handgun wounds are like getting poked with a sharp stick. Just slightly larger and smaller sticks between calibers.

Rifle wounds, not so much so. More like getting poked with an angry badger with very large claws.
gaweidert
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:07:14 AM
Actually it seems that a .22 is as likely to make a bad guy cease his activities as a 45.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power
ztug
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:07:57 AM
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:

You didn't watch the video did you? He shows that rifle wounds are much more devastating. He also points out that an exception is the 5.56. If it doesn't tumble or hit bone, it makes a .22 caliber hole going in and a .22 caliber hole coming out.
Colonel_Angus
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:10:13 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:10:28 AM by Colonel_Angus]
No we arent good at watching videos. thats why you will see people say stuff like this....

TL/ DW
The time to buy is not when you need it.
tommytrauma
/1*\
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:10:51 AM
Originally Posted By ztug:

You didn't watch the video did you? He shows that rifle wounds are much more devastating. He also points out that an exception is the 5.56. If it doesn't tumble or hit bone, it makes a .22 caliber hole going in and a .22 caliber hole coming out.

I believe Chris was referring to handgun terminal ballistics.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Many wear the robes, but few walk the way.
pilotman
My parrot is smarter than your honor student
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:12:49 AM
get out of here with them there facts and science and shit.
Want to join the NRA? Don't care about getting a magazine? Join the NRA with an Associate Membership for $10!!!
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp
Click "other memberships" tab
Nagewaza624
Official Call Sign----Razor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:14:16 AM
Originally Posted By echo_5:
Dupe, but worth repeating.

yep
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
BRADLEYBUILT
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:23:17 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:23:33 AM by BRADLEYBUILT]
Old dupe. but a good one!
KILLERB6
"the men with green eyes"
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:30:28 AM

These threads are always funny to follow.

A lot of anger and unpossibles will be generated.
But since it has, so ordered be, by a time to rise and a time to fall.
Come fill to me the parting glass, good night and joy be with you all
ArmyInfantryVet
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:31:07 AM

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:
Originally Posted By ztug:

I believe Chris was referring to handgun terminal ballistics.

That was what I took away from it as well.
RabidMonkeyPox
Come poke me with a stick
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:32:03 AM
I came in here to post that .45 and Beans in Chili are the answer.
Blood stained palms pressed against the gates of virtue shall never know freedom
It is better to Reign in Hell than Serve in Heaven----Milton
The darkness under a whore's bed sheets
TLeath
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:34:30 AM
Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:
I came in here to post that .45 and Beans in Chili are the answer.

And wiser words were never spoken.
leatherpuke
Who farted?
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:34:40 AM
Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:
I came in here to post that .45 9mm and Beans in Chili are the answer.

fify
Seriously......who farted?
ztug
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:36:14 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:38:38 AM by ztug]
OP Title........9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds

Rifle (all Centerfire)
% of hits that were fatal - 68%
% of people who were not incapacitated - 9%

9mm Luger
% of hits that were fatal - 24%
% of people who were not incapacitated - 13%

.45 ACP
% of hits that were fatal - 29%
% of people who were not incapacitated - 14%

.22 (short, long and long rifle)
% of hits that were fatal - 34% (pistol and rifle)
% of people who were not incapacitated - 31%
KILLERB6
"the men with green eyes"
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:37:35 AM
Anyone remember (maybe even know) the poster on GlockTalk (where I saw him but people referred to other forums where he posted) who said he was the equivalent of CSI for a "major metropolitan area in Lousiana" who claimed that handgun wounds were incredibly survivable and all calibers and bullet types behaved similarly in actual shootings.

I can't remember enough of the threads or his username to effectively search for his old posts but it was interesting to see him present a real life case and then watch others refute what he purported to see.
But since it has, so ordered be, by a time to rise and a time to fall.
Come fill to me the parting glass, good night and joy be with you all
Hector_X
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:43:20 AM
Originally Posted By gaweidert:
Actually it seems that a .22 is as likely to make a bad guy cease his activities as a 45.

And yet, the article says:

Some people will look at this data and say "He's telling us all to carry .22s". That's not true. Although this study showed that the percentages of people stopped with one shot are similar between almost all handgun cartridges, there's more to the story. Take a look at two numbers: the percentage of people who did not stop (no matter how many rounds were fired into them) and the one-shot-stop percentage. The lower caliber rounds (.22, .25, .32) had a failure rate that was roughly double that of the higher caliber rounds. The one-shot-stop percentage (where I considered all hits, anywhere on the body) trended generally higher as the round gets more powerful.
Psychovore
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:48:07 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:53:18 AM by Psychovore]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Anyone remember (maybe even know) the poster on GlockTalk (where I saw him but people referred to other forums where he posted) who said he was the equivalent of CSI for a "major metropolitan area in Lousiana" who claimed that handgun wounds were incredibly survivable and all calibers and bullet types behaved similarly in actual shootings.

I can't remember enough of the threads or his username to effectively search for his old posts but it was interesting to see him present a real life case and then watch others refute what he purported to see.

A buddy of mine works in an ER in Houston. A lot of the bullets they pull out of the regulars are just shitty target ammo. While shot placement is king, I'd prefer to have that plus a nice JHP that will open up and hopefully nick something vital.

ETA: Forgot that he relocated.
ztug
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:49:59 AM
Originally Posted By Hector_X:
Originally Posted By gaweidert:

And yet, the article says:

Some people will look at this data and say "He's telling us all to carry .22s". That's not true. Although this study showed that the percentages of people stopped with one shot are similar between almost all handgun cartridges, there's more to the story. Take a look at two numbers: the percentage of people who did not stop (no matter how many rounds were fired into them) and the one-shot-stop percentage. The lower caliber rounds (.22, .25, .32) had a failure rate that was roughly double that of the higher caliber rounds. The one-shot-stop percentage (where I considered all hits, anywhere on the body) trended generally higher as the round gets more powerful.

Triple that of a rifle of any caliber.
crownvic96
In it to win it
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:54:52 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 9:55:36 AM by crownvic96]
A lot of the gang bangers holding their glock's sideway probably also don't know shit about ammunition types to increase lethality or why shot placement is critical. I'd be willing to bet almost all of the handgun rounds are FMJs. Plus the simple fact rifles just have A LOT more energy then a pistol does.

I'd like to see a breakdown on bullet types within a certain caliber and lethality/incapacitation.
sixnine
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:12:53 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 10:14:21 AM by sixnine]
I'm also willing to bet that the rifle hits were better placed than the pistol hits. Remember those statshisitics that there are about 350 deaths caused by rifles as opposed to 8-9,000 caused by pistols? How often do street shootings involve well placed shots with handguns? Probably not that many.

Better to be a complete ass, than a half ass.
Powerkicker
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:14:15 AM
Very informative.
Check out " The Handbook of Manly Virtue" on Amazon.com
Aimless
The Hero of Cockpocalypse
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:17:43 AM
modern jhp pistols rounds are pretty much the same but rifle wounds are far, far worse? Is that it or do I need to watch it?
Prosecutor Kristyna S. Mills said her office prosecutes these types of cases “all the time”speaking of the prosecution of Sgt. Nathan Haddad, a decorated combat veteran, for possessing AR15 magazines
sterling18
Doh
NRAInstructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:19:35 AM
Good video.
Life is like a riddle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
Psychovore
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:22:51 AM
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 10:24:58 AM by Psychovore]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
A lot of the gang bangers holding their glock's sideway probably also don't know shit about ammunition types to increase lethality or why shot placement is critical. I'd be willing to bet almost all of the handgun rounds are FMJs. Plus the simple fact rifles just have A LOT more energy then a pistol does.

I'd like to see a breakdown on bullet types within a certain caliber and lethality/incapacitation.

They know shit all. There was a thread here a couple of months ago with some ammo that the ARFCOMmer had confiscated from a gang-banger. The bullets were whittled down to points, or other weird shapes, so much so that it was doubtful the rifling could grab them. Apparently the guy thought a skinny, pointy piece of lead would have a better chance of piercing body armor or something.

Someone else posted video of gang member interviews last year. Gang member talked about his "special purple bullets, you hit someone in the leg and it paralyzes them for an hour." He showed those special purple bullets to the newscaster.

They were Snap-Caps...
broken_reticle
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:30:24 AM
Gang bangers are...idiots. Just like hand guns are hand guns and rifles are rifles.

A friend of mine was taking a forensics class last year and one of his books was just about gun shots. Very interesting reading. One of the items I found interesting was a statement that it was impossible to tell what someone was shot with unless you found the bullet.

daskal:
Welcome to GD, if you don't want to be gang raped, don't blow kisses at the inmates.
tommytrauma
/1*\
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:37:42 AM
Originally Posted By Psychovore:

They know shit all. There was a thread here a couple of months ago with some ammo that the ARFCOMmer had confiscated from a gang-banger. The bullets were whittled down to points, or other weird shapes, so much so that it was doubtful the rifling could grab them. Apparently the guy thought a skinny, pointy piece of lead would have a better chance of piercing body armor or something.

Someone else posted video of gang member interviews last year. Gang member talked about his "special purple bullets, you hit someone in the leg and it paralyzes them for an hour." He showed those special purple bullets to the newscaster.

They were Snap-Caps...

Awesome. :)
I need to find that video.

Many wear the robes, but few walk the way.
Nichonator
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:44:18 AM
I work in a hospital and chat regulalrly with the trauma staff. I constantly hear from them the fact that ammo selection and shot placement are key. 2 RN's and a Doctor in Trauma who carry are just as comfortable with a 9mm, 380 or 3acp as well because the platform is concealable. We have had 3-4 shootings already this year where the victim has stated they "wished they had a gun"..
So the lessons I have learned from them are as follows.

1.Always have a gun.
2.Shot placment i.e. lots of bullets in the upper torso and head are key.
3.Bullet selection (read quality FMJ/HP high velocity) is important.
Psychovore
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:44:29 AM

They were Snap-Caps...

Here's the thread about it, video was removed from YouTube but it gives the name of the source so you may be able to track it down.
Nichonator
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 10:52:24 AM
Doctor in video also makes another very good point. Only 4% of firearms deaths annualy are by all rifles combined, hunting and semi autos (Assault rifles??).. So if Obama and crew effectively banned and confiscated all rifles in America it would only decrease ther annual death statistic by that measley 4%.. Assuming these are all folks who don't desreve to die (i.e. criminal element) that is a very small number. Wont hear that on CNN..
4bangin
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:00:56 AM
Originally Posted By Aimless:
modern jhp pistols rounds are pretty much the same but rifle wounds are far, far worse? Is that it or do I need to watch it?

No ... Tissue damage does not cause death most of the time. Bleeding and non functioning airway cause death. Only tissue that causes death is brain stem. So make em bleed and unable to breath.
crownvic96
In it to win it
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:07:35 AM

They were Snap-Caps...

Here's the thread about it, video was removed from YouTube but it gives the name of the source so you may be able to track it down.

~1:18 in on this version

VBC
Turn on the heat
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:09:14 AM
.30-06 turns the lungs of a deer into cranberry sauce.
Booze
Hell Yeah.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:09:40 AM
Official Arfcom Nickname: Misfire

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1436001_Get_your_official__AR15_com_nicknames_callsigns_here_.html&page=22
Psychovore
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:13:49 PM

They were Snap-Caps...

~1:18 in on this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnai3CJExIA

Awesome, thank you.
sherrick13
Nice JBT that says FBO
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:16:39 PM
tag
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 no economic collapse has happened yet. Be happy, live your life. :-)