Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2013 7:10:01 PM EDT
Lads,

Tonight I decided to watch No Country For Old Men as I've seen plenty of references to it and has some good actors in it. And after watching it frankly I'm a bit disappointed, For a while I felt I understood where the story was going to lead then Moss was killed. Overall I felt it just kind of ended answering few questions. Now I understand it was originally a novel, does the hive believe that reading this would be worth it? What did everyone thing think of the movie? An I alone in feeling a bit unsatisfied?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
As is usually the case, the book is FAR better than the movie.

Having said that, I wasn't "disappointed' in the movie. Javier Barden played his part to perfection as did Tommy Lee Jones.

Read the book, enjoy it, and accept the movie for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't read the book, but I think the movie is great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved it, will have to read the book.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
JMHO - the Coens did an excellent job and it's their own spin they put on it. They hide some themes in it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Very disturbing movie.  Especially the cow thumper being used on that old man who got "pulled over".
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Friendo...
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't find it confusing at all.  I should try the book as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting characters shitty movie. Happens a lot in Hollywood.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a Coen brothers film, so don't expect a typical plot.

The movie, IMHO, is about fate. Chigur represents death, and nothing more. He's swift, quick, and has no remorse. Those who get in his way are given an opportunity to postpone the inevitable (coin flip).

Sheriff Bell, while involved in the plot, exists outside of Moss's struggle to escape death. Bell represents the everyman fighting to cope with a changing world.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta remember that the story is about Bell.

The one thing missing from the movie is Bell's story about his time in WW2.  That provides a lot of background to his character.

Great movie, great book.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Enjoyed both the book and the movie. The book helped to tie things together better for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Great book and decent movie. The scene where the deputy is strangled is pretty screwed up. The shot up pit bulls and the carnage of the original shoot out it pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Call it......call it

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
You're suffering from what a lot of casual moviegoers suffer from:  If it doesn't have a neat resolution, you feel jilted.

The biggest misconception about the movie is that it's about a killer and a guy that took money.  It's not, it's about an aging sheriff that just can't comprehend the world he's being forced to function in.  The ending is perfect.  Absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're suffering from what a lot of casual moviegoers suffer from:  If it doesn't have a neat resolution, you feel jilted.

The biggest misconception about the movie is that it's about a killer and a guy that took money.  It's not, it's about an aging sheriff that just can't comprehend the world he's being forced to function in.  The ending is perfect.  Absolutely perfect.

This

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Derp. Apparently you didn't watch the movie cuz it's exactly about a killer and a guy that took money.  

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Great movie with great actors and the best Director of Photography still working in the biz today:

Roger Deakins
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Friendo.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call it......call it  

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I was confused by the film, more so I just felt unsatisfied by it. I don't know it seems I'm in the minority here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#22]
hated it. the entire movie focused on all these people and then in the last 2 minutes you find out it wasn't even about them. It was about TLJ who was in the movie all of about 5 minutes. The rest of the movie was just dumb.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This ^^^^

What business is it of yours where I'm from?   Friendo..
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

hated it. the entire movie focused on all these people and then in the last 2 minutes you find out it wasn't even about them. It was about TLJ who was in the movie all of about 5 minutes. The rest of the movie was just dumb.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ding..ding...ding..winner right here.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Book>movie by far

Internal thoughts unable to be portrayed in the movie make all the difference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I was disappointed the first time I watched it too. After the second and third times I got over it. Now it's my favorite movie. There's a lot more to it than the average hollywood BS action movie. The more times you watch it the more you love it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a book based on this movie?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was disappointed the first time I watched it too. After the second and third times I got over it. Now it's my favorite movie. There's a lot more to it than the average hollywood BS action movie. The more times you watch it the more you love it.

This. It took a few viewings for me to understand and appreciate it. Now I watch it every time it airs.
And i sure wish it was that easy to silence a 12ga.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I hate that movie.
It's a VERY good movie (As all Coen Brothers flicks are) but....as much as I hate Woody Harrelson, I SOOO wanted him to turn around

on the stairs and shoot that sumbitch in the face.  The end pissed me off too.  I was hoping for something along the lines of the Japanese

5th grader's ending from "The Cabin in the woods"

EDIT:  "Probably" () Not safe for work or around youngsters.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Once you stop hearing sir and maam the rest just follows.
That movie has a lot to say to us today.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#33]
It is tale of a fudd
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
READ IT.

Cormac McCarthy is the great American novelist of our time.

Only Blood Meridian, his masterpiece, is better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#35]
He was blind the whole time
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I was confused by the film, more so I just felt unsatisfied by it. I don't know it seems I'm in the minority here.

Corms doesn't care if you were satisfied, or knew the answer.

Would the Mona Lisa be so intriguing if we knew for sure if she was smiling or not?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#37]
It was like Seinfeld; basically about nothing. If Moss had been killed by Chigur maybe I at least could have liked him better as some allusion to death.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Excellent book.

Cormac McCarthy writes some heavy shit.

I loved the movie
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought the book read like a movie script. I was actually pretty impressed how close they were, usually the movie adaptation blows.

It's not your average movie, and McCarthy wasn't your average writer. Let's just say that he seemed to consider conflict resolution overrated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's fucking genius.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#44]
The movie was too deep. Stories like that have to be told by the written word, not on a movie screen.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The movie was too deep. Stories like that have to be told by the written word, not on a movie screen.

books may be 3 dimensional, but writing is not any more than film
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#48]
The only continuation I wanted was what happened to Chigurh?  As he hobbled away with the money was he now the target of the Mexicans?  Would they come for him as fiercely as both he and they did Moss?  Will they simply quit when they find out the guy that hired them is dead?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The only continuation I wanted was what happened to Chigurh?  As he hobbled away with the money was he now the target of the Mexicans?  Would they come for him as fiercely as both he and they did Moss?  Will they simply quit when they find out the guy that hired them is dead?

Death doesn't die.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Death doesn't die.  

I didn't say he did, but would the Mexicans try?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top