Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not new at all, it happened under G.W. Bush, Clinton, G.H. Bush, and Reagan, and probably earlier.  The Secret Service probably wishes they could disarm the cops as well...  

Yup, did the same thing when W. came to Division review at Bragg.

Yup was there, 19000 disarmed paratroopers most fresh back from the surge and own commander showed his faith in us by making the bolts come out and springs be removed from mags all standing in formation for 3 hours in the sun trying not to pass out     Bush was pres

Do you think Bush personally ordered that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I doubt he even knew it happened
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the same with Obama
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhu-YgCyPz4

I'd say that the Secret Service pays attention.

Because...this is Egypt...

You don't think something similar could happen?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the same with Obama

as much as I hate HIMBO, I agree.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
did you know the secret service is so security conscious they require the secret service to remove their mags when they're near the president?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
you know what's weird? I saw bush and ashcroft speak at the FBI academy and didn't have to get searched or anything. they searched bags and purses but not bodies, not even a metal detector. they just checked our names off a list and that was it.

they DID have snipers on the roof and a little bird buzzing around but the snipers didn't have their rifles visible and were just standing around. there were even foreign uniforms amongst us.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What does the article say about the 2009 inauguration?

Says the Marines were allowed to keep bolts in, and backs it up with a photo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
OP is aware that Hitlers own officers tried to kill him?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're right. Poor, poor Hitler. Shame on those officers for trying to stop a madman.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When we went to Panama on a charter flight they made us take our bolt carriers out "just in case".
Then they told them to put the bolt carrier in our top left BDU shirt pocket.
Everybody promptly put them back in the rifles so they wouldn't get lost.  
The .gov is retarded.

When we flew out of KKMC after Desert Storm, headed home to Germany, they made us remove the bayonets from our LBE's and place them in our duffle bags which were stowed in the bag pit of the plane. We were told the reason why, was because they didn't want anyone doing something stupid. Doing something stupid on the way HOME? I would have thought the time to do something stupid, would be headed off TO war, not coming home FROM war......LOL.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not new.

Sorry to buzzkill your butthurt.

Lmao

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me get this straight, last week GD was wrapped around the axel of "posse comitatus" and the possibility the military was linked - however indirectly - to the Alabama hostage rescue.  Now, we are all but demanding the military march through our nations's capital locked and loaded, and give a fuck-all about mere ceremonial capacities?

I guess maybe had Obama been the guy who took the hostage, we'd see more people demanding the military be used directly against the "domestic enemy?"
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not new at all, it happened under G.W. Bush, Clinton, G.H. Bush, and Reagan, and probably earlier.  The Secret Service probably wishes they could disarm the cops as well...  

Yep and when W. came to Drum

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I marched (not proud of it either) in Carter's Inaugural Parade (1st Plt., Honor Guard. Co., The Old Guard) with a fully funtional M14.

Every job we did at the White House I marched in from mid 1976 to mid 1979 I carried a fully functional M14..

Every Pentagon job, every Tomb job, every joint service ceremony when the presdent got on the Marine helicopters or got off the Marine helicopters.

No one ever discussed having to remove the bolts at an earlier ceremony (prior to mid 1976 when I got my White House Clearance).

We did practice "inspection arms" where the rifle is held at port arms, the bolt pulled to the rear and locked back, the rifle is momentarily pointed muzzle downward by dropping the left hand, the head is dropped to allow you to look into the chamber/bolt area, the head is raised, the rifle is raised back to port arms and the bolt is released.

I don't recall every doing it at a "job" but we practiced is sometimes in case we were asked to do it.

You know, maybe Carter wasn't so bad after all.  If the later presidents were so far off the American grid they felt threatened by their own troops, maybe Carter still had some American in him, somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
The first thing that came to mind was Erich Hartmann being told he needed to disarm before going before Hitler to receive a medal (which would be the equivalent of a sort of uber-MOH) and Hartmann refused, saying that if Hitler could not trust him with his sidearm he could keep his medal (whereupon he was permitted to keep is sidearm; this was after an assassination attempt, mind you).
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in the USAF Presidential Honor Guard from 2004-2007, they did the same thing back then.

The M1 rifles we used for joint service functions were demilled (I believe the firing pins were welded and bolt face ground down), and even then the SS would sometimes have us remove them after inspecting them and us explaining that they are not functional. It depends on who is in charge that day.

I marched in the 05 inauguration and I seem to remember carrying my M14 intact. The whole event was a giant clusterfuck and I don't think the SS was worried about us that day...

Those weapons haven't been zeroed in decades. Also the pretty chrome bayonets are as dull as butter knives.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:21:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I marched (not proud of it either) in Carter's Inaugural Parade (1st Plt., Honor Guard. Co., The Old Guard) with a fully funtional M14.

Every job we did at the White House I marched in from mid 1976 to mid 1979 I carried a fully functional M14..

Every Pentagon job, every Tomb job, every joint service ceremony when the presdent got on the Marine helicopters or got off the Marine helicopters.

No one ever discussed having to remove the bolts at an earlier ceremony (prior to mid 1976 when I got my White House Clearance).

We did practice "inspection arms" where the rifle is held at port arms, the bolt pulled to the rear and locked back, the rifle is momentarily pointed muzzle downward by dropping the left hand, the head is dropped to allow you to look into the chamber/bolt area, the head is raised, the rifle is raised back to port arms and the bolt is released.

I don't recall every doing it at a "job" but we practiced is sometimes in case we were asked to do it.

You know, maybe Carter wasn't so bad after all.  If the later presidents were so far off the American grid they felt threatened by their own troops, maybe Carter still had some American in him, somewhere.

I have two shocking revelations for you:

1.  This isn't the 1970s.  Things actually change over time.

2.  Presidents aren't involved in their protective strategy and policy development.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to have to remove them to fly on a commercial plane too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#21]
We were first ordered to remove the bolts of our M1 Garands in '84 for a Fantasy Fest parade.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#22]
It is pretty common, I remember around 97 having to inventory the armory prior to Clinton visiting the base and reporting all the weapons were account for and locked up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It is pretty common, I remember around 97 having to inventory the armory prior to Clinton visiting the base and reporting all the weapons were account for and locked up.

IT'S BILL CLINTON'S FAULT!  

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup was there, 19000 disarmed paratroopers most fresh back from the surge and own commander showed his faith in us by making the bolts come out and springs be removed from mags all standing in formation for 3 hours in the sun trying not to pass out     Bush was pres

Yeah, fuck that.  I would not stand for obama, fuck him.  Im glad i dont serve under him.  Fucking joke is what he is, a god damn joke.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They just straight up took our rifles away in Afghanistan when Obama came to visit us. It's not a new thing. They also wouldn't let us leave until he left, and that took almost three hours.

See all the weapons around GWB when he went to visit Iraq?

http://www.georgewbushlibrary.smu.edu/~/media/GWBL/Images/ThePresidentandFamily/ZoomImages/P36047-34.jpg

I think that is the guy rescued here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3aaWlUmpc

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, maybe if the president wasn't a treasonist fuck, the SS wouldn't have to worry about our own troops.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A Marine has already taken out 1 president, they are all nervous now.

Yeah, the Secret Service kind of fell down on that one didn't they?

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess they trust the Air Force more. I never had to even have a discussion about my M9 when around the president- even in the same room. Walked alongside Bush Sr, the Mrs. and two of their security detail for about a 30 minute walk when they were waiting for someone else to arrive at Andrews for a flight out.
Only once in many many times around them did we have an issue- when Clinton came into office, Hillary had a flight out on a C9 and she flipped her lid because instead of the ground detail being in blue uniforms, we were all in BDU's because of an ORE going on at the same time. She lost her shit!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I guess they trust the Air Force more. I never had to even have a discussion about my M9 when around the president- even in the same room. Walked alongside Bush Sr, the Mrs. and two of their security detail for about a 30 minute walk when they were waiting for someone else to arrive at Andrews for a flight out.

Only once in many many times around them did we have an issue- when Clinton came into office, Hillary had a flight out on a C9 and she flipped her lid because instead of the ground detail being in blue uniforms, we were all in BDU's because of an ORE going on at the same time. She lost her shit!

She was just worried that it would make an easier target ID for that sniper that follows her around.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Did you see this personally or did you hear this from someone else?

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#31]
You ain't know?? Unless your secret service, your ass is gonna be disarmed when the Prez is in the building.

I'm not sure how true it is, but supposedly a bunch of off-duty DC Metropolitan Police were disarmed at the Verizon center by Secret Service one night when Obama was there to watch whatever game it was. Not sure how that worked if so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. Poor, poor Hitler. Shame on those officers for trying to stop a madman.

I can't decide if you're are a huge Obama fan, or if you just really suck at analogies.  

I'm guessing you aren't a big fan of reading, or history, am I right?

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#34]
In the age of the professional politician... Well never mind.
I'm not getting banned over that jug eared faggot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#35]
FDR's security detail did the same thing in North Africa when he visited troops.  Nothing new.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Not new at all. I've heard this was standard practice for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the article say about the 2009 inauguration?

Says the Marines were allowed to keep bolts in, and backs it up with a photo.

Maybe the bolt was left in but the firing pin was removed. Just a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
hat tip to free republic

I

Disabled Marine rifles at inauguration signal shift in administration policy (Photos)

"Didn't know the Marines had to take the bolts out of their rifles for the Inaugural,” an email forwarded to Gun Rights Examiner from a United States Marine Corps source observed. "Wonder if someone can explain why [they] would be marching in the inaugural parade with no bolts in their rifles!”

The email linked to a YouTube video of the 57th Presidential Inaugural Parade, embedded in this column, featuring Bravo Company Marines from the Marine Barracks Washington. Sure enough, the observation in the email is confirmed by watching the video, with screen shots provided in the photo and slide show accompanying this article.

This prompted an internet search to see if others had also noticed, and the Blur-Brain blog had.

"The bolts have been removed from the rifles rendering them unable to fire a round,” the post stated. "Apparently Obama’s Secret Service doesn’t trust the USMC. Simply searching each guy to make sure he didn’t have a live round hidden on him wasn’t enough, they had to make sure the guns were inoperable.

http://www.examiner.com/article/disabled-marine-rifles-at-inauguration-signal-shift-administration-policy

photos, more information at the link.

tyrantical government showing their paranoia towards others except their privilaged inner circle, when they have to start disarming their own own country's services for fear of coups or supporter that uphold the constitution?

edit - can't seem to find any reports of this occuring at any other inaugural event

We had to remove them when flying back from NTC back in 1989.    (someone on an earlier flight fired off a blank in the cabin, the cartridge should have been turned a few day earlier)
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Nobody in the service would ever be crazy enough to kill anyone, especially a high profile leader. I just can't think of any current or recent examples of crazy assholes in the military. Nope, not a one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Worse yet, the Marines had to attend Obama's Inaugural
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Worse yet, the Marines had to attend Obama's Inaugural

Most of the Departments in HQMC had to give up Officers to work the inaugural back in Aug, we are getting them back next week.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The first thing that came to mind was Erich Hartmann being told he needed to disarm before going before Hitler to receive a medal (which would be the equivalent of a sort of uber-MOH) and Hartmann refused, saying that if Hitler could not trust him with his sidearm he could keep his medal (whereupon he was permitted to keep is sidearm; this was after an assassination attempt, mind you).

Came in here to post this.  Not saying the SS is wrong, just saying it's sad.  I seem to recall Dole went to a gunshow once when he was running for prez.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#43]
It's already been pointed out by several other posters, but I will still share my view.  This is SOP now, and has been for a while.  I was involved with the months of planning that went into the inauguration.  

I'm not willing to say anything on here to hurt my security clearance, but rest assured, the reason has nothing to do with the President not trusting the military.  The reason is simple.  Different agencies are in charge of security that day.  The .mil that you see are there to be part of the pageant.  There are also units you don't see who are armed and tasked to be QRF/ search and rescue for events like that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#44]
SOP is SOP
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top