Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2013 6:18:24 PM EDT
hat tip to free republic

I

Disabled Marine rifles at inauguration signal shift in administration policy (Photos)

"Didn't know the Marines had to take the bolts out of their rifles for the Inaugural,” an email forwarded to Gun Rights Examiner
from a United States Marine Corps source observed. "Wonder if someone
can explain why [they] would be marching in the inaugural parade with no
bolts in their rifles!”

The email linked to a YouTube video of the 57th Presidential
Inaugural Parade, embedded in this column, featuring Bravo Company
Marines from the Marine Barracks Washington. Sure enough, the
observation in the email is confirmed by watching the video, with screen
shots provided in the photo and slide show accompanying this article.

This prompted an internet search to see if others had also noticed, and the Blur-Brain blog had.

"The bolts have been removed from the rifles rendering them unable to
fire a round,” the post stated. "Apparently Obama’s Secret Service
doesn’t trust the USMC.
Simply searching each guy to make sure he didn’t have a live round
hidden on him wasn’t enough, they had to make sure the guns were
inoperable.

http://www.examiner.com/article/disabled-marine-rifles-at-inauguration-signal-shift-administration-policy
photos, more information at the link.
tyrantical government showing their paranoia towards others except their privilaged inner circle, when they have to start disarming their own own country's services for fear of coups or supporter that uphold the constitution?
edit - can't seem to find any reports of this occuring at any other inaugural event

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not new at all, it happened under G.W. Bush, Clinton, G.H. Bush, and Reagan, and probably earlier.  The Secret Service probably wishes they could disarm the cops as well...

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]

I'd say that the Secret Service pays attention.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask Anwar Sadat how he feels about that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not new at all, it happened under G.W. Bush, Clinton, G.H. Bush, and Reagan, and probably earlier.  The Secret Service probably wishes they could disarm the cops as well...  

Yup, did the same thing when W. came to Division review at Bragg.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Cough cough "Sadat"
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's from the White House poll on the gun free zone around the president.  He took our advice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Not new.

Sorry to buzzkill your butthurt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
When we went to Panama on a charter flight they made us take our bolt carriers out "just in case".
Then they told them to put the bolt carrier in our top left BDU shirt pocket.
Everybody promptly put them back in the rifles so they wouldn't get lost.  
The .gov is retarded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
While I normally appreciate Examiner articles, they are way off the mark if they think this has anything to do with the Obama admin.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While I normally appreciate Examiner articles, they are way off the mark if they think this has anything to do with the Obama admin.

Yup. There's plenty of stuff to bitch about regarding the Obama administration, this ain't one of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
this isn't new, and it makes sense. the fewer guns around the president not being carried by the secret service the easier their job is and the happier they are.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Might as well give them brooms.  Shovels are too dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not new.

Sorry to buzzkill your butthurt.

Lmao
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I find it hilariously ironic that part of the oath is to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic", and therefore the Secret Service finds it necessary to disarm the people who took that oath. It's like they're acknowledging that he is indeed a threat to the constitution.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ask Anwar Sadat how he feels about that.

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I find it hilariously ironic that part of the oath is to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic", and therefore the Secret Service finds it necessary to disarm the people who took that oath. It's like they're acknowledging that he is indeed a threat to the constitution.

The Secret Service's job is to not trust anyone.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, did the same thing when W. came to Division review at Bragg.

Yup was there, 19000 disarmed paratroopers most fresh back from the surge and own commander showed his faith in us by making the bolts come out and springs be removed from mags all standing in formation for 3 hours in the sun trying not to pass out     Bush was pres

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They didn't have to do that with Bush I bet.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Did honor guard duty back in the 70s for Nixon in Hawaii same thing no bolts.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty much SOP. Secret Service gets nervous
no matter who has a gun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
They just straight up took our rifles away in Afghanistan when Obama came to visit us. It's not a new thing. They also wouldn't let us leave until he left, and that took almost three hours.

See all the weapons around GWB when he went to visit Iraq?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#24]
... In an odd way, I'm kinda comfortable with this
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This...

It's nothing new.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Makes inspection arms easier.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Just following protocol
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://duckduckgrayduck.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/cat-gun.jpg

No opposable thumbs!

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]
What does the article say about the 2009 inauguration?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The army is not permitted to enter Rome. Only the Praetorian Guard may be armed in the presence of Caesar.

Some thing don't change. Leadership never trusts the hired cannon fodder.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
this isn't new, and it makes sense. the fewer guns around the president not being carried by the secret service the easier their job is and the happier they are.

we had folks out cleaning their rifles when W came to visit. He didn't seem worried the least little bit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Does the secret service take the bolts and springs and what not out of their weapons too? What if one of their agents went rogue? I saw that movie GI Joe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Some cops were disarmed. Our Honor Guard was in the parade. We had toy rifles and empty sidearms.

Total BS, I can be armed almost everywhere else in that town...and have been; even on the Capitol lawn when he was speaking at Law Enforcement Memorial Day, but noooo not in his parade.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Clinton came to Lejeune while I was stationed there and not one single weapon was allowed out of the armories. Not for he Cpl of the guard or the officer of the day. All barracks had to have their blinds open. I don't hink the MPs were allowed to carry either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Does the secret service take the bolts and springs and what not out of their weapons too? What if one of their agents went rogue? I saw that movie GI Joe.

I would ASSume that since USSS is tasked with protecting POTUS that...uhhh NO. The Protection Detail doesn't. But I'm just spit ballin here.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#37]
They march and carry arms in symbolic defense of the president.

So what does it symbolize when the arms they carry are intentionally disabled?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Clinton came to Lejeune while I was stationed there and not one single weapon was allowed out of the armories. Not for he Cpl of the guard or the officer of the day. All barracks had to have their blinds open. I don't hink the MPs were allowed to carry either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I was there for that. Had to sit in a chair in front of my window because my dumb ass didn't get off base in time. All the emergency vehicles lined up along river road.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They just straight up took our rifles away in Afghanistan when Obama came to visit us. It's not a new thing. They also wouldn't let us leave until he left, and that took almost three hours.

http://www.georgewbushlibrary.smu.edu/~/media/GWBL/Images/ThePresidentandFamily/ZoomImages/P36047-34.jpg

Consider what Hasan did at Ft. Hood.

Yeah... I don't really blame the secret service.

It only takes ONE deranged fuckhead.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
A Marine has already taken out 1 president, they are all nervous now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Historically having the military armed around civilian heads of state can end very badly. Just because no ambitious military officers have tried a coup de tat in the US doesn't mean it's impossible.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#42]
If I was SS I'd disarm potential threats also. Because in the end, they have to dive in front of the man to protect him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#43]
They tried that shit in 05 when Bush went to a Nuclear plant.

Didn't fly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhu-YgCyPz4

Sa dats how he was assassinated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Because if you're military, you're totally reliable and shit.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All that stuff is for show only.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
An MP buddy of mine was stationed at ft Bragg and said they were tasked out for crowd control for either bush or Obama and they still carried ther M-9's but had no ammo for them. Pretty said when "they" don't trust soldiers enough to be around them with weapons
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://www.georgewbushlibrary.smu.edu/~/media/GWBL/Images/ThePresidentandFamily/ZoomImages/P36047-34.jpg

The guy in the back, over Bush's shoulder is a USSS agent whom I remember seeing all the time in photos and videos. He must have been one of the top guys on his detail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhu-YgCyPz4

Because...this is Egypt...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top