Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2013 10:39:21 PM EDT
I received a reply from Bob Casey after contacting him about proposed gun legislation.  Here's what I received.

Dear Mr. Beitler:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about recent proposals related to guns.  I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.  

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building.  In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children.  Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again.  This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system.  Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent.  I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.  As lawmakers consider an appropriate response to this challenging issue, we should consider all of the factors that could prevent such heinous acts.  

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.  Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution.  I will continue to back the right to bear arms for purposes of self-defense, recreation, sporting and collection.  However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare.  According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon.  He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity magazines. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again.  Before supporting such a law, I would first and foremost ensure that it did not unduly abridge the right to bear arms as established by the Second Amendment.  

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.  On January 17, 2012, President Obama unveiled a package of proposals to reduce gun violence, which included strengthening the system of background checks, reinstating the assault weapon and high-capacity magazines ban, improving school safety and expanding access to mental health services.  I look forward to reviewing these proposals in detail and to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.  

On January 24, 2013, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California introduced S. 150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013.  This legislation would explicitly permit the possession of affected firearms that were owned prior to the bill’s enactment; firearms that are manually operated; firearms used by military, law enforcement and retired law enforcement; and antique weapons.  Further, this legislation lists 2,258 hunting and sporting rifles and shotguns that are entirely exempt from the ban.  

This legislation would ban the sale, transfer, manufacturing and importation of all semiautomatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one of seven specified military features.  S. 150 would further ban semiautomatic pistols that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one of certain listed military features, as well as ammunition magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds.  The Assault Weapons Ban would also regulate the transfer and storage of permitted, grandfathered weapons and allow local law enforcement to use certain federal funds for voluntary gun buyback programs.  The Assault Weapons Ban was referred to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member.  Please be assured that should this legislation come before the full Senate for consideration, I will have your views in mind.  

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.  Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.  

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov.  I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

It doesn't seem to be a form letter, but who knows if he wrote it, an assistant, or what.  Doesn't really matter, as i'm disappointed by his resonse.  Just figured i'd post it up and let all you guys know, especially PA gun owners.  Laters
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea I got that too... and I voted for the piece of poop

Never again
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Me too.  Live and learn i guess.  Still F'in sucks though
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
douche-wad
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Unreal, he needs to get voted out - unacceptable, period.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the same response
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Never again

When are people going to realize that demorats can't be trusted to uphold the Constitution.

DO NOT VOTE FOR DEMS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
He's a fucking democrat guys and you thought he would vote ANY OTHER WAY!!??
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
what a fucking chode
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

To be fair, his father was also a Dem and was still a pretty good governor.
He isn't his father. Like I told him in my last email.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Never again

Choke yourself.

Twice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind of fucking idiot votes for a Democrat then gets mad because they support gun control? What the fuck did you think would happen? You get the government you deserve.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What kind of fucking idiot votes for a Democrat then gets mad because they support gun control? What the fuck did you think would happen? You get the government you deserve.

Well at least they are honest enough to admit they messed up.

Hopefully they LEARNED!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Lets see here....  Oh!  He's a democrat.

OF COURSE he's against your rights!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never again

Choke yourself.  

Twice.

The kind that so dense he doesn't even see the error of announcing it publicly on ARFCOM.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
The party is thy mother and father.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never again

Seriously...why is ANYONE surprised.  The guy is a DEMOCRAT.  Gun control is pretty much a mandate of that party...

If you value the second amendment and your firearms, don't ever vote for a D.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck that clown

Sadly, he will probably be sticking around because ignorant fucksticks recognize his name.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:09:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the same response..... twice (used two different email addresses to contact him).

Pretty much what I expected.

Responded with.... "I am disappointed in your support of further federal firearms legislation.  I will actively and financially support your opponent in and and all future elections."

Michael
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
MAJOR

Quoted:
douche-wad

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didn't vote for him but he had a long history of being pro gun

More so than specter
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't get it anymore. How are so many blues in office in such a red state? I don't want to hear that Philly bullshit either. 12 million in PA, 1.6 million in Philadelphia and about .5 million in Pittsburg. Unions?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't get it anymore. How are so many blues in office in such a red state? I don't want to hear that Philly bullshit either. 12 million in PA, 1.6 million in Philadelphia and about .5 million in Pittsburg. Unions?

Lots of rich liberal hippies in the suburbs of Philly, and lots of extremely ignorant union workers.

And anyone who voted for Casey can shove an AR barrel up their ass.  Seriously, how could anyone be so stupid to vote for that idiot? . He is a lifelong democratic party puppet, nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Never again

"never again" will come about 6 years too late
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More so than specter

He has had an even longer history of doing whatever his party tells him to do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More so than specter

He has had an even longer history of doing whatever his party tells him to do.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Never again

WTF?  I'll never understand people here in PA.  Some NRA members here vote for anti-gun liberals and act shocked when they act like anti-gun liberals.  It's truly astounding.  

This is how Alren Specter and John Murtha stayed in power so long.  It's disgusting. I wouldn't be surprised if andpinger also voted for those guys.  He fits the profile.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senator Casey is an absolute douche.  Back in 2007, Casey was supposed to meet with the family of a fallen soldier who was receiving a medal posthumously. Instead of presenting the metal to the family as scheduled, Casey stood the family up to attended a campaign event with BHO instead.  I heard an interview with the family who spoke about this at length.  Casey Jr. has always been anti-AWB, yet people here on "AR15.com" voted for him.  Amazing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Union scumbags and seniors who are told that Republicans will take their welfare, er social security, away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

exactly. When it comes down to the nut-cutting,  Dems will vote the party line.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#31]
PA is going to fall in the next 15 years.

Everyone with half a brain will move off the coasts and inland to free states that are passing laws to protect from the encroachment of federal authority.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Philly ballot stuffing.

Obama got a higher % in Philly than Chicago. Democrat candidates were averaging over 85% in the general election. That's closing in on Saddam Hussein/98% vote percentages.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:46:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never again

WTF?  I'll never understand people here in PA.  Some NRA members here vote for anti-gun liberals and act shocked when they act like anti-gun liberals.  It's truly astounding.  

This is how Alren Specter and John Murtha stayed in power so long.  It's disgusting. I wouldn't be surprised if andpinger also voted for those guys.  He fits the profile.

Murtha's district was the most gerrymandered in the country.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never again

When are people going to realize that demorats can't be trusted to uphold the Constitution.

DO NOT VOTE FOR DEMS.

Pretty much this. Thanks for nothing, asshat. When you vote for a RINO, you get a coin flip. When you vote for a D, you put in someone who WILL be called on to back the DNC exactly when it is most important/most harmful, and free to follow their conscience/agree with you when it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Casey has gone lock step with the current administration since day one.  It's hard to believe any gun owner would vote for him.  He supported Sotomayer and Keagin, was for obamacare, never said anything about Fast and Furious - he's a tool for the democrat agenda!

Never voted for Casey or is POS old man!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Casey v. Smith?

The correct answer was Smith..Tom Smith.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#37]
This is why the ballots in PA have a choice to vote for one party across the board.  Check off Republican.  Never trust a Democrat
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senator Casey is an absolute douche.  Back in 2007, Casey was supposed to me with the family of a fallen soldier who was receiving a medal posthumously, Casey stood the family up to attended a campain event with BHO instead.  I heard an interview with the family who spoke about this at length.  Casey Jr. has always been anti-AWB, yet people here on "AR15.com" voted for him.  Amazing.

Oh I agree that he is a complete POS. I've never voted for him and never will. Besides the line about his father I also told him that his job wasn't to be Obamas rubber stamp and that I would do everything that I can to help make sure that he never gets elected to office again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I received the same response from the senator.

And I agree, DO NOT VOTE DEMOCRAT, and DO NOT VOTE REPUBLICAN either!

Either party will move us further to the political left - one quicker than the other.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Casey v. Smith?

Smith was good - former D but blue dog D who changed to R.

Casey's people painted him as extreme right wing, and he was not.

The media of course supported Casey.

Half the people who vote for him, think he is the former Governor (his father)

ETA: NRA needs to drop him to an F rating. For fraud. 2A supporter my arse
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Casey v. Smith?

Smith was good - former D but blue dog D who changed to R.

Casey's people painted him as extreme right wing, and he was not.

The media of course supported Casey.

Half the people who vote for him, think he is the former Governor (his father)

ETA: NRA needs to drop him to an F rating. For fraud. 2A supporter my arse

Agreed on all counts.  Casey is swine and we are stuck with him probably forever.   The NRA needs to hose him big time.

ETA   changed language that could be misconstrued as endorsing violence.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Me too.  Live and learn i guess.  Still F'in sucks though

The 2 of you voted for Bob Casey?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is why the ballots in PA have a choice to vote for one party across the board.  Check off Republican.  Never trust a Democrat

This. Some of you are surprised by this?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't think there's much to worry about there, he's been doing the Arlen Specter two-step on quite a few things lately and people on both sides of the isle are getting fed up with him.

Some changes be a'coming for ol' PA in the next cycle or two here, me thinks; most of them good for "our side."  

PS to OP:  I got the same letter, word for word, 3 times now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I love how people vote these people in then complain about how bad these people are....I'm sure some ARF members voted for or commander in chief as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More so than specter

Yea just as long as the 2nd Amendment protects hunting.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there's much to worry about there, he's been doing the Arlen Specter two-step on quite a few things lately and people on both sides of the isle are getting fed up with him.

Some changes be a'coming for ol' PA in the next cycle or two here, me thinks; most of them good for "our side."  

We'll see. If Corbett gets reelected as governor I'll agree with you. If he gets voted out we'll know for sure.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I seriously think Casey was dropped on his head as a baby.  He looks and sounds retarded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see. If Corbett gets reelected as governor I'll agree with you. If he gets voted out we'll know for sure.

Local media (TV & lefty newspaper) is relentlessly attacking Corbett.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Got the same thing. Fuck him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top