Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Statistically they have a 50/50 shot at living 1 year after a hip break.   I don't remember the year range of the study though.  Something like 75 and over.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My great aunt had her hip replaced at 94 and lived to be 99. I think the connection is that they are old and on there way out to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
One relative broke her hip taking a spill off the curb. 70-something.

That was 10 years ago. She's still kicking
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My elderly aunt is 83, broke her hip last year. Besides being in a rest  home under care, Shes as spry as any spring chicken..YMMV
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually here is my good deed for teh day.. For those of yoou who like your parents these are the AMA CDC guidelines with my emphasis, its as common as common cents gets, take an 3 hours out of your day sometime soon and help them get these things done and then help them police up some of this crap and get it out of their houses for them.

• one out of three adults age 65 and       older falls each year,1

• Among older adults (those 65 or       older), falls are the
    leading cause of injury death.
    They are also the       most common cause
    of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions for trauma.2

• In 2010, 2.3 million nonfatal fall       injuries among older
    adults were treated in emergency departments and more       than 662,000
    of these patients were hospitalized.2

• In 2010, the direct medical costs of falls, adjusted  for inflation, was $30.0 billion.4

How  can older adults prevent falls?

Older  adults can remain independent and reduce their chances of falling.  They can:

Exercise regularly. It is important that the exercises focus

on increasing leg strength and improving balance, and that they get more challenging over time. Tai Chi programs are especially good.

(***)Ask their doctor or pharmacist to review their medicines—both prescription and over-the counter—to identify medicines that may cause side effects or interactions such as dizziness or drowsiness.

(This is one of the big ones, polypharmacy is out of control in this country among the elderly population.) Make sure you get a list together or any meds that may be coming from EVERY doctor and make sure they are all aware of each others scripts.
Have their eyes checked by an eye doctor at least once a year and update their eyeglasses to maximize their vision. Consider getting a pair with single vision distance lenses for some activities such as walking outside.

Make their homes safer by reducing tripping hazards, adding grab bars inside and outside the tub or shower and next to the toilet, adding railings on both sides of stairways and improving the lighting in their homes.
Translation... Make sure every stairway is well lit, day and night, nightlights or floor leds are good options.

Make sure the path from the bed to the bathroom is also well lit both day and night. Again motion activated night lights are simple and cheap

Throw out every single throw run that currently resides in their home, even with a rubber mattte, it is unlikely that it will get replaced or readjusted once the matte shifts or tears.
-people laugh but don't come in and reaarrange your parents furniture on them.
Do a once over of all the cubbords and cabinets in the kitchen and elsewhere and make sure that any commonly used items are available at arms reach.
police up any electrical cords that might pose tripping hazards.
Go buy a couple or 10 pairs of those socks with the non skid soles, same goes with tossing out any slippers or footwear that isn't flat with a decent non skid sole of some kind.
To lower their hip fracture risk, older adults can:
   Get adequate calcium and vitamin D—from food and/or from supplements.

Do weight bearing exercise.

Get screened and, if needed, treated for osteoporosis.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
For reference I broke my hip/pelvis when I was 19. The injury got me discharged and took about two years before I finally came to the realization it wasnt getting better. Range is a bit limited, pops like crazy, muscles are weakend, and it just hurts. I've done a lot over the years to try to take care of it and was even able to get it to the point where I could surf. My current problem is I got a desk job last year which means I packed on weight and this is my first winter outside of Hawaii in 6 years so the cold is a bitch.
It's a tough injury. Definitely differs in severity. But I was a 19 year old Marine and it fucked me up.  If it happens to your folks or family, make sure they get good treatment including physical therapy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Grandfather (father's father) breaks hip at 95. Died within 9 months at 96. Was weeding garden day before.
Grandfather (mother's father) breaks hip at 91 died within 3 months. Was still driving the day he broke it.

I believe it is such a devastating injury to the ederly who are otherwise healthy. I guess when you couple the injury with the surgery
it is to much for so many to handle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on statistics, yes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Well if it ain't a death sentance now it will be when Zerocare kicks in good and proper.

Oh yeah....Let's not forget the 20 million newly minted "citizens" we will have milking the HC system for all it's worth at about the same time. Heck 'ol broke hip gramps won't stand a chance.

Stay healthy my friends.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nope.  My father absolutely fucking shattered his hip whike ice skating a few years ago.  He's doing fine, even climbing ladders to fix shit on the foor, playing golf, and rowing regularly.

Mother in law broke hers a few months ago - also doing just fine now.  Almost like nothing ever happened.

Medicine has advanced from when it was a near death sentence.  A good healthy lifestyle also helps tremendously.

I've seen it said that if they're up and walking within 6 months(even with a limp) to a year they'll ususlly be fine. Some don't get back to walking, whether because they don't want to and subconsciously are ready to die, because they don't heal soon enough, or they weren't walking well before the break and the muscles will no longer support them. Those are the ones who don't make it, like my friend's grandfather.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My GF works for a fancy old folks home and said they usually don't last a year afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope.  My father absolutely fucking shattered his hip whike ice skating a few years ago.  He's doing fine, even climbing ladders to fix shit on the foor, playing golf, and rowing regularly.

Mother in law broke hers a few months ago - also doing just fine now.  Almost like nothing ever happened.

Medicine has advanced from when it was a near death sentence.  A good healthy lifestyle also helps tremendously.

If he was still ice skating and climbing ladders then he isn't the elderly we are referring too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A great many elderly people who break their hip are dead within a year

I have seen this over and over.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Break a hip.
Go to nusring home,
Dig a hole and push 'em in.
Thats how I've seen it go down every time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
my grandma broke her hip a few years back , still tending her acer garden and keeping up with a 10,000 square foot house by herself. she doesnt give up
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Awful memories here

My wife has had both hips broken, one pinned, the other pinned but failed, then 3 more surgery's the last surgery  being hip replacement she's 49
Some Fucken painful shit.
She's had to relearn how to walk 5  times.

I think I'd rather take a bullet.

Anyway her doctor told me most seniors don't live past 5yr after hip surgery, many just give up and dye soon after , I'd pretty much consider it for the majority of seniors, a death sentence

I had a grandmother break a hip, she passed away a week later, she was  75
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
That death sentence is better than it used to be.  Old brittle bones like a hip is any where from very slow to never able to heal.  Being rendered bed ridden for long duration was the main problem.  Improved pain killers, physical therapy, blood thinners, diet management, in-bed massage machines, etc. have reduced complications.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Was clearly the end for my BIL. Died just 8 days ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
My Mother broke her hip had a partial hip replacement in 2010. She currently on vacation in South America sent me picks of her hiking in Patagonia / Argentina. I remember the day of the surgery the doctor was telling her how she would be limited in movement and she'd had to walk with a walker or best case scenario was with a cane. In less than 9 months she was walking and driving again. Now you'd never know she had broken her hip at all.

ETA She is 72
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes it is very bad JuJu for the elderly.  Most never recover very well or survive long after.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, ditto on the falls causing the most problems. Either head trauma or broken hips result and that usually hastens the end.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
My grandmother fell down a flight of stairs in a hotel in Lisbon, Portugal when she was IIRC 77 or 78 and broke her hip.  It certainly slowed her down and put an end to her global travels, but it didn't kill her... that was due to the metastasized lung cancer some 9 years later.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
People who are active tend to bounce back more than people who just walk around the house. But a broken hip in the elderly is the precipitating factor of other illness that lead to death.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Not necessarily.  My Mom broke her hip when she was 66, and she lived another 14 years.

She also broke her femur about 5 years later and recovered from that.

However, I'd also say that if the person is older than 80 it's close to 100%.  Broken hips are difficult injuries to recover from even when you're young and healthy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]
pnuemonia.  

surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

you walk, you work the moisture and crap out the lungs.

bust the hip, your not working things like your surposed to.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Summer of '08, my mom broke her hip in a slip and fall at home.  Had surgery later in the day and was resting fine when during the middle of the night, she went into massive cardiac arrest and flat-lined for 20 mins, needing to be de-fibbed 6 times.  

Pops and my sister were called in early in the morning to wait for the EEG test to confirm whether, or not, she had any brain activity.  She did.

A few days later, they put a defibrillator inside because they couldn't figure out why her heart went nuts, since it was in perfect shape.

A week later, she got pneumonia, a week after that she got a bad 'super bug' and wasn't responding to modern antibiotics.  She was allergic to penicillin and so they had to dust one off from the '50s to kill it, but she survived that bout.  

A week, or two, after recovering from that and still not getting any therapy in, she got food poisoning.

81 days later, she made it out, still breathing and lasted four more years, although mostly bedridden.  She passed on 9/11/12.

Now, for everybody yakking at the care she got, my father is a gastroenterologist and has worked at this hospital for 40 years.  He's treated like a God there and my mom got pretty much special treatment the entire time.

Moral of the story, don't break your hip and roll the dice over a hospital stay.  My brother is also a gastro in L.A. and he said the entire time...'the last place you want to be is in a hospital, if you want to get better.'

Chris
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom broke her hip about ten years ago and she's still doing fine.  But, yeah, generally speaking, older people seem to have a high mortality rate following a major injury.

When I was starting out as a medic I read a report that showed that 90% of elderly people who experienced an unexplained syncopal episode (fainting) died within a year. From various causes. Just found that odd.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Just buried my 96 y/o friend Sat.  She broke her hip in her late 70's (fell while running down the street) but lived for another 17 years.

She also survived a massive stroke at age 94 and recovered enough to recognize and understand us and live another 2+ years, even though she never really regained her power of speech.  Looked like a sweet little old lady but proved to be tough as nails.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Pneumonia after the hip break caught in the hospital is what does them in.

I figure my wife is going to live long after me, I make her take her vitamins and drink her milk. (It's a battle) I'll be long dead but hopefully she'll see her great grandkids.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Anecdotally from what I have seen........yes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, forgot the exact stats but once you hit a certain age and have a broken hip, your life expectancy is within 1 year. Reason being is because you loose mobility which is important especially when your older if you want to stay healthy and live longer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I think some of you are not defining elderly correctly. Someone who is in there 60's or 70's in my opinion are not elderly.
So saying Mom broke her hip at 68 or 72 and bounced back is off base to me as to what the intent of the thread was
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Before or after Obamacare?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Every elderly person I have known, once they broke their hip they died in a relatively short time thereafter. Happened to all 4 of grandparents and great-grandparents that died, my parents' neighbor, and now someone else I know.

It seems like once this happens, they usually don't have much time left.

Have you guys also experienced this?

Yup.  Pretty much.  Unless it's a car accident or something. "Old lady falls and breaks hip" is not what happens, "Hip breaks, old lady falls as result" is what happens.

Once major bones are coming apart due to bone tissue degeneration they are screwed.  Often the surgery and the hospital stay kill them, or they get cranky about doing the physical therapy and what little independence and exercise they had is gone... then they give up.

Seen it happen with many old ladies and a few old men.  Note, depending on the individual, it can be two or three years, but they are never the same again after it. (My grandma hung around long enough to prove she could and held on just because she was pissed off all the time. The nursing home though, broke her spirit.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Not always.

But most times it is....
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#36]
My grandmother broke her pelvis just a few days ago and this is exactly what I thought. Although the doctors reassured us that it is not nearly as serious as a hip.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Not in my family. Great uncle broke his hip at 95 died a week before his 100th. Grandmother broke hers at 89 (car accident), she is 93 and still going strong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Short answer?

No.

BUT, it CAN be - depending on far more than I'm willing (or able) to go into!

If it's someone you love, prayers to you/yours. (I only read the thread title. Sorry.)

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#39]

The key is getting it replaced before it breaks.

My grandmother had hers replaced at 89, did great, and lived alone and independent until she died of pneumonia at 96.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#40]
My grandma has had cancer twice and broke her hip within the last 4-5 years. She's still kicking along.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Depends, 13 years ago my Grandpa (90) had a stroke and fell on Grandma (91) who fell and broke her hip.  Grandpa pass away from the stroke.  We all thought that Grandma was going to pack it in after the surgery and being unable to walk.  But she got her second wind and lived another 6 good years until the last six month, so it really depends.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems to be a death sentence
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#44]
my grandmother fratured her right hib about 5 years ago at age 89 they pined it togeather to help hold it and she was back to tending to her flower gardern like 8 months later. then last year she fell in the garden and broke her right hip and her doc couldn't pin it so they wired it togeather. she justed turned 94 and she is back to her flower garden. that woman amazes me. I think it has to do with how hard there work life was. because she has had friends that died a few years ago from the same thing but that woman worked till she was in her early 70s at a garden shope. but my grandmother hasn't worked a day in the last 35 years. my grandfather worked as a macanic on the heavy equiment that built dams and died of a heart atack in his mid 50s. but he had a very nice nestegg saved up that she has been living on for the last 30+ years. so she has had it very easy. also she is a very health conscious person and a serious gem-a-fobe.

my mom aunts and uncles used to joke that she was gonna out live them all. wel...... my mom has had two of her sisters pass away and I almost lost my mom two years ago to a heart attack. (heart problems run in the fam) so my grandmother had been depressed that she is starting to lose her childeren. they say "its the pits getting old" they weren't kidding.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top