Now that is awesome.

And a lot or hard work and searching.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
"This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is MINE."

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Guys, I'm here....

This was my Dads M1 Garand and I want to thank you all for the kind words.

Yes, it was very touching and an HONOR to track down and rebuild my Dad's M1. We are a very close family and take pride in our history.

This was the M1 Dad was issued in Boot Camp in 1961.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/58Hawken/Dads%20M1%20Garand/DSCN2806.jpg

I'm the Army Guy. My Friend is the Marine.

To Catch the entire story, Check out the coming spring Issue of the Garand Collectors Association's GCA Journal.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/58Hawken/Dads%20M1%20Garand/DSCN2781.jpg

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I was having a lousy day until I read this thread and the story!

Absolutely amazing
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Yes, it was very touching and an HONOR to track down and rebuild my Dad's M1. We are a very close family and take pride in our history.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/58Hawken/Dads%20M1%20Garand/DSCN2806.jpg

To Catch the entire story, Check out the coming spring Issue of the Garand Collectors Association's GCA Journal.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/58Hawken/Dads%20M1%20Garand/DSCN2781.jpg

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Thanks for your story.
Thanks for the idea.
And thanks for yours and your fathers service.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I read this story several months ago and I will admit the room got pretty dusty. I don't know how to put into words how the story made me feel. All I can really say is WOW!!

How often do the two of you go shooting together?

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Thank you for sharing the story!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where does one even start that search... wow.

This. I'm seriously interested on how to start that process.

I followed the thread on CMP.. www.ODCMP.com
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Now that's what I call coming full circle. Now that is AWESOME in my book. OOHRAH!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Impressive. That man raised his son right. Hopefully the son carries on the tradition.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sadly even if I found my dads weapon he carried I wouldn't be able to buy it(M14)

That is a very cool video.

MAYBE you could. Does CO allow NFA? It might be a transferrable. I know, unlikely, but the chance is there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
That was absolutely fantastic!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"This one, is Mine".

Awesome stuff!

Semper Fi!

exactly this
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Impressive. That man raised his son right. Hopefully the son carries on the tradition.

Yep, I called my dad after I saw the video on page one.  My dad and I are close like that.  It would be an honor and a privilege to present him with something like that.   Best I could do was remove my Marine Expert Rifleman medal that I wore the day I graduated from Boot and present it to him.  He raised me right and he earned it every bit as much as I did.  It is now permanently affixed to his loading bench so that it hangs over his Dillon 550.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you even find out the serial number of the gun your grandparents were issued? My wifes grandfather served in the Pacific and mine served in Korea. I have pics of my wifes grandfather holding his rifle.

Ask them. It is drilled into soldiers/Marines heads enough to memorize their serial numbers that he might still know it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone here transcribe what the Marine spoke in the video?  He only said a few words, so it shouldnt take too much typing here. I am deaf, so I can't listen to it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well Guys, I'm here....

WoodsCustom
Good work!

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Very cool.  Thank you for doing this for your father.

**EDIT:  And for your service, of course.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you even find out the serial number of the gun your grandparents were issued? My wifes grandfather served in the Pacific and mine served in Korea. I have pics of my wifes grandfather holding his rifle.

Ask them. It is drilled into soldiers/Marines heads enough to memorize their serial numbers that he might still know it.

They are both dead.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
That's about as powerful a 44 second video as you're ever going to see. Wow!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can someone here transcribe what the Marine spoke in the video?  He only said a few words, so it shouldnt take too much typing here. I am deaf, so I can't listen to it.

On behalf of a grateful nation, and a proud family, I present to you, your Springfield Armory M1 Garand, serial #18xxxx, ready for inspection.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
 Very cool!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome story.  I'm glad that the son was able to pull it off.  That ought to be something the family should cherrish for a long time.

James
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On behalf of a grateful nation, and a proud family, I present to you, your Springfield Armory M1 Garand, serial #18xxxx, ready for inspection.  

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#26]
No way, wow, that's pretty freaking cool.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Badass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A lot of people here say that guns are just tools, but sometimes, guns are not just tools. They are more than that.

Arms have always been more than that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Amazing!

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then the father said 50 years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Excellent story. Made my day. Thanks for sharing. And I'm sure your dad couldn't be more proud of his son.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
So much win in this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of people here say that guns are just tools, but sometimes, guns are not just tools. They are more than that.

Arms have always been more than that.

And this is what those on the left will never understand.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Awesome!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both dead.

Sorry to hear that. Did they leave a chest of stuff behind, or even a folder of papers? They might have a range book like what was shown in his CMP thread with the SN written on it,. or even a hand receipt. Some soldiers save things that nobody who didn't know them would understand.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Completely Kick Ass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#37]
What else can be said... A great story.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

You sir, are not only a fine American, but you bring honor to your father.

God bless you and your family.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I followed this over on CMP as he was looking for it.  Most were saying it was a huge long-shot that he'd find the receiver, let alone have it be in CMP's inventory so he could purchase it.  It was great seeing the other members over there help him complete the rifle in the configuration his father would have had it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Very cool all the way around!

Looking forward to the article.

My first Garand is on order from the CMP, I can't wait to get it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well Guys, I'm here....

Thanks Again,

WoodsCustom

Rock on, MSG!

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Fucking epic. There is no better present than that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fucking epic. There is no better present than that.

Couldn't have said it better myself . . . . my old man carried an M-1 in AOCS prior to flying A-7's in vietnam, I bought him a CMP Garand years ago, but this . . . this is just amazing . . . well done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#45]
This is unspeakably and epically awesome. Simply unbelievable.

What an amazing thing to do. I wouldn't remember the serial number of any of my issued weapons if you water boarded me!

Way to go, WC! Thank you for your service and for having done this! Also, please pass similar thanks to your dad and your friend!

This thread is a winner. Definitely made the day easier to put up with?

Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#46]
It's not very often I get the chills, that one did it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both dead.

Sorry to hear that. Did they leave a chest of stuff behind, or even a folder of papers? They might have a range book like what was shown in his CMP thread with the SN written on it,. or even a hand receipt. Some soldiers save things that nobody who didn't know them would understand.

Yes, it's possible they may have retained their range book. We have my Grandfather's range book from Parris Island (Marine, served in Korea) and have been able to identify the SN of the Garand he was issued, but haven't had any luck finding it. CMP doesn't have it, we've checked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Outstanding!

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does one even start that search... wow.

This. I'm seriously interested on how to start that process.

I would be too.

There are no centrally maintained records of what rifle was issued to what person and when.  

The military tracked rifles shipped to posts, bases, camps and installations and when they went back to the armories and when they were sold (either foreign military sales, transferred to DCM / CMP, American Legion Posts, etc.).  Those records were on paper in the M1 days.

If the person who had been issued the rifle had a record of the serial number,, then they could ask the CMP to look through their files / inventory records and find it (if it went to the CMP and ass-u-ming the CMP has the DCM's records).

If that turned up nothing, then the searcher could ask Garand owners nationwide through gun forums, clubs, etc.

Of course, if the rifle was sold to Guatemala and never returned to the US, it would never be found.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top