Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You realize that there is no way for him not to know about the fraud and if audited he could lose any chance at getting his license in the future.

He had no choice.

Not to mention he did the right thing.

Kuddos OP, I stand by your decision.

I'm going with this.  Not to mention I dont want to have to make up the $40k that got shorted .gov.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Lets see...... I take a bag of tax papers to the tax company to have the pros do it right. I get a refund and am happy so I continue to go there each year, not knowing they screwed up. You go over my returns, find issues and turn me into the IRS. If your company didn't cover the mistakes, I'd find you. Turn my life upside down with the Feds and this wouldn't have a happy ending for you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for outcome

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
This whole episode is reason to scrap the whole tax code.

Fair tax or Flat tax.

No credits, no exemptions, no corporate taxes, no subsidies.

Period.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#6]
OP you've invited the MAN into your life too.  Your employer will not be pleased with your efforts to show them that you're smarter and more honest than anyone else in the company.   Maybe you will be able to get a job with the IRS and be rewarded according to the amount of extra tax money you collect from tax frauds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread was helpful in outing people with low moral standards.  Thanks OP!

Lots of people bitch about .gov waste but don't care about 40k worth of outright fraud.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope you advise and help him to file amended returns for the years involved BEFORE the IRS goes after him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I would think this was one of those cases that client could get out in front and have it resolved for a few thousand.
That or have Mom file taxes so she received the credit from past filings.
If those kids would have been wards of the state without him the taxpayers are probably ahead.
Do they even get food stamps or any other benefit since it is cousins living with him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Twenty seven pages, 19 locks and 21 perma bans.

That's ridiculous.

No way this makes twenty seven pages.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread sure does remind me of why I stopped working as a tax preparer.  Got sick and tired of argueing with people over why they can't claim so and so as dependents, why their medical marijuana expenditures weren't deductible, etc...

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Counselor, the privileged information includes the "fraudulent" entries in his tax returns from prior years that you told the IRS about.   Geez, the guy gets an accounting degree and goes to work for HR block or some other storefront center and thinks he is a whiz at tax law.  Look, I hope you come out ok. But if you tell the IRS about all these issues on some guy's return, then tell the name of that guy, you've committed an ethical error.  The IRS is supposed to inform the taxpayer about what has transpired AND tell him that they no longer consider YOU to be his representative.  That's how the customer can then know that YOU told the IRS about things on HIS return.  And then, HIS lawyer can put his big ol ghetto goblin ding dong in your bum bum.

OP -- I started out in life as an accountant and, much like you, was not comfortable with some of the things I had to (ethically) do.  Therefore I left the profession, even though I had a wife, small kids and a mortgage.
Maybe you should be looking for another line of work, since this is only the tip of the iceberg.

I got out of it while I was still young enough to go back to school...was ready for the CPA...had several years of experience...I didn't/couldn't deal with the slime.  I didn't even do taxes, more corporate accounting/financial analysis.  I couldn't see finagling for 30 years, just wasn't for me.  I'll be an engineer soon(Dec hopefully)...with a bunch of finance/budget experience...
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is why I have an accountant do my taxes.

Me too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lets see...... I take a bag of tax papers to the tax company to have the pros do it right. I get a refund and am happy so I continue to go there each year, not knowing they screwed up. You go over my returns, find issues and turn me into the IRS. If your company didn't cover the mistakes, I'd find you. Turn my life upside down with the Feds and this wouldn't have a happy ending for you.

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
You did the right thing, OP.  Thanks for taking a stand for the taxpayers!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

So, let me make sure I understand the mindset here....

You receive forty thousand dollars in "tax refunds" over a period of time, which you, and the previous preparers, and anyone with two functioning brain cells should have known damn good and well that you weren't entitled to receive.

Now, when somebody finally does the right fucking thing, like any self respecting man should, it's that guy's fault if the IRS holds you accountable for the stolen money that YOU took possession of?

Yes, the tax preparation company should stand up and pay for the mistakes/fraud of their employees, but if they don't do that, it is NOT the fault of the OP, as he is the only one in this story who has a shred of fucking integrity about him.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]
So people in your compant gave him bad advice and fucked up his taxes so you dropped the dime on him.

Raising his 2 cousins in state orphange or foster homes for the next 10 years is going to cost way more than 40k
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Job OP.......Army Values

The sad part of this thread is finding out ArfCom has  "Stop Snitchin' " FSA gangmembers in here

You're just now finding out that many on ARFCOM don't support the government's goals? Haven't you seen all of the threads about not talking to the police? You've been here since 2002 and have over 4,000 posts, certainly this isn't really news to you.

As for the case at hand, I find it hard to work up a lot of sympathy that the government that wants to take my guns had someone take $40,000 from them. As a rule I don't condone illegal activity, which includes falsifying tax returns. However, I'm certainly not sitting here being sad that someone did it. Even if the client spent that money on crack and prostitutes I imagine that he still put it to better use than the federal government would have.

What you don't understand is that 40k wasn't his tax money.  It was transferred from someone else, or printed.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Good Job OP.......Army Values

The sad part of this thread is finding out ArfCom has  "Stop Snitchin' " FSA gangmembers in here

You're just now finding out that many on ARFCOM don't support the government's goals? Haven't you seen all of the threads about not talking to the police? You've been here since 2002 and have over 4,000 posts, certainly this isn't really news to you.

As for the case at hand, I find it hard to work up a lot of sympathy that the government that wants to take my guns had someone take $40,000 from them. As a rule I don't condone illegal activity, which includes falsifying tax returns. However, I'm certainly not sitting here being sad that someone did it. Even if the client spent that money on crack and prostitutes I imagine that he still put it to better use than the federal government would have.

What you don't understand is that 40k wasn't his tax money.  It was transferred from someone else, or printed.    

I understand that, but I still don't care.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fucking boss, man.

Good work.

Thanks.

Being a former Army NCO, my integrity is worth a hell of a lot more than the $10 an hour I get paid to do taxes for ghetto goblins.

You don't get it do you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope you advise and help him to file amended returns for the years involved BEFORE the IRS goes after him.

THIS should have action #1.  Unless there are some additional details, there are ways to address issues (that your company admittedly screwed up) without involving the man.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

So, let me make sure I understand the mindset here....

You receive forty thousand dollars in "tax refunds" over a period of time, which you, and the previous preparers, and anyone with two functioning brain cells should have known damn good and well that you weren't entitled to receive.

Now, when somebody finally does the right fucking thing, like any self respecting man should, it's that guy's fault if the IRS holds you accountable for the stolen money that YOU took possession of?

Yes, the tax preparation company should stand up and pay for the mistakes/fraud of their employees, but if they don't do that, it is NOT the fault of the OP, as he is the only one in this story who has a shred of fucking integrity about him.

That's just it, YOU don't know. Person took it to a company full of "experts" because he couldn't figure it out, the tax codes are a bit complicated for some people, and the "experts" did the return for him. They tell him it's his lucky day and he gets a return. It's all good to him, he has no idea and why should he go over all the paperwork the "experts" just did for him. He ca be informed of the the past problems, the company can be held at fault but the ensuing shitstorm from the IRS he's about to go through is the OPs fault. IF the guy has to pay he's going to be out a whole lot more than $40k between lawyer fees, penalties and interest........ All because the OP dropped the dime on an unknowing person.

I pay taxes and hate to see people play the system and steal money from us but in this case the guy probably thought the tax guys were doing their job correctly and was just happy about getting a return.

You gonna drop the dime on all your neighbors with guns when the Feds ban them too? C'mon doing the right thing is doing the right thing.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Counselor, the privileged information includes the "fraudulent" entries in his tax returns from prior years that you told the IRS about.   Geez, the guy gets an accounting degree and goes to work for HR block or some other storefront center and thinks he is a whiz at tax law.  Look, I hope you come out ok. But if you tell the IRS about all these issues on some guy's return, then tell the name of that guy, you've committed an ethical error.  The IRS is supposed to inform the taxpayer about what has transpired AND tell him that they no longer consider YOU to be his representative.  That's how the customer can then know that YOU told the IRS about things on HIS return.  And then, HIS lawyer can put his big ol ghetto goblin ding dong in your bum bum.

OP -- I started out in life as an accountant and, much like you, was not comfortable with some of the things I had to (ethically) do.  Therefore I left the profession, even though I had a wife, small kids and a mortgage.

Maybe you should be looking for another line of work, since this is only the tip of the iceberg.

I got out of it while I was still young enough to go back to school...was ready for the CPA...had several years of experience...I didn't/couldn't deal with the slime.  I didn't even do taxes, more corporate accounting/financial analysis.  I couldn't see finagling for 30 years, just wasn't for me.  I'll be an engineer soon(Dec hopefully)...with a bunch of finance/budget experience...

Same here--and my life worked out pretty good.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#26]
you did the right thing
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a refund, not a return.  A return is the form you file.  I have no idea why 90% of the population doesn't know this.  

My mistake, a refund. To me it's saying the same thing when they "return" some of your money. No biggie, sorry I misspoke.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, you seem to believe the client will not face any repercussions.  He will have to pay back all the money along with penalties and interest.  Your (possibly former) employer has some kind of feel good "guarantee" and you think all will be fine.

The client will  not be able to pay the 60 to $75,000 bill the IRS is preparing to send him (penalties, interest,  and  fees compound better than anything you have ever seen), Your employer might pay part of the interest, but your client will have to sue them to get it.  Plus he is still on the hook for the original amount of money with interest starting now that he has to pay.

When the client contacts a lawyer, he WILL find out what you did, and will definitely name you in a suit for a huge amount of money.  Hiring a lawyer to defend that suit comes out of YOUR pocket.  What you did also implicates your "co-workers" as they did some of the earlier returns.

Hopefully, Mr. Goblin is a nice, easy going guy, but do not bet your life on it. His lawyer will quickly tell him that that "tax guy" dropped a dime to collect 6 of 7 grand at your expense.  Mr. Goblin will no longer be your biggest fan after that.

Imagine heading out one morning a year from now and a bunch of black Suburbans block you in.  They are DEA and got an anonymous tip you were making a drug deal that day.  When they search your car, surprise they find  A dozen bags of various drugs.  Bye, bye freedom.  This scenario is a best case scenario for you, he may just get a buddy to stick a knife in your back.

$40,000 plus interest from a guy with no assets buys a truck load of hate.

You keep mentioning your mil career. Were you never taught about the Chain of Command?  There is such a thing in the civilian world as well, and you shit all over it.  The business license for your company was not in your name.  Your responsibility was to report any issues to your boss, and or owner, and let HIM handle it.  If you want to cover your ass, just CC all emails to him to yourself and keep copies.

As mentioned above, apply now to the IRS for one of those cushy gov-tit jobs, as no one in accounting or tax business will touch you for employment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#29]
If I'm not mistaken, those "guarantees" that the store-front preparers offer cover "penalties and interest".  Customer with the cousins will still be liable to pay the IRS the $40K.  The preparing company will have to come up with the other $40K in P/I.  So they are both fucked.  Sounds like the OP is screwed too on the ethics violation.  I can tell he thought he was "doing the right thing" (which I agree that he was in reporting the company), but his lack of experience screwed him, and now he'll be on the hook to the client.  Sad, everyone except the IRS loses in this one.

In terms of the ethics discussion going on here and attorneys... my understanding was that, as an officer of the court, an attorney cannot, legally OR ethically, lie to the court.  If you were tell your lawyer "I stabbed that bitch and hid the knife in the chimney" - he is not obligated to call up the police and help them out, that would violate your privilege.  He has no duty to go retrieve the knife either.  But he also cannot go into court now and say "my client did not stab this woman".  He could be disbarred.  He can say you stabbed her for cause (like maybe self defense, you were temporarily insane) or you stabbed her on accident, and try and get you off that way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just it, YOU don't know. Person took it to a company full of "experts" because he couldn't figure it out, the tax codes are a bit complicated for some people, and the "experts" did the return for him.  Yes, and as I said, the company should stand, and take responsibility for their mistakes.

They tell him it's his lucky day and he gets a return. It's all good to him, he has no idea and why should he go over all the paperwork the "experts" just did for him. It is still the individual's responsibility to pay the taxes he owes, and to avoid taking refunds not owed to him. The children that got him the CTC, ACTC, and EITC were NOT his kids, and he received a "refund" of over seven thousand dollars in a single year, when only a small portion of that amount was withheld in federal income taxes. This should have been a red flag for him to get a second opinion. Due diligence goes both ways.

He ca be informed of the the past problems, the company can be held at fault but the ensuing shitstorm from the IRS he's about to go through is the OPs fault. IF the guy has to pay he's going to be out a whole lot more than $40k between lawyer fees, penalties and interest........ All because the OP dropped the dime on an unknowing person.  The OP is the one person who did the right thing. He notified the IRS of the situation, including the fact that the company refused to take the proper remedial actions when the problem was brought to their attention. The OP is not the one that made the errors, nor is he the one who refused to correct the errors, nor is he the one who took possession of money that did not belong to him. As for the "unknowing person", ignorance of the law is usually not considered a valid excuse for failing to abide by it.

I pay taxes and hate to see people play the system and steal money from us but in this case the guy probably thought the tax guys were doing their job correctly and was just happy about getting a return. If it seems too good to be true, it is usually not true. $700 in federal income tax witholding usually does not translate into a $7000 refund at tax filing time. Even "the professionals" are sometimes wrong, and given the enormous disparity between the withheld sum and the calculated refund amount, the individual should have sought a second opinion. The majority of responsibility for the error rests with the company, but the individual is not completely without fault.

You gonna drop the dime on all your neighbors with guns when the Feds ban them too? C'mon doing the right thing is doing the right thing.  
We have a natural and constitutionally protected right to our guns. We do NOT have any right to take or keep money or property which belongs to someone else.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#31]
You did good.  Tough if it was the client's fault or the company's.   These things are why we are paying so much to the gimme crowd.  Hopefully, if the guy wasn't purposefully frauding, the company will have to pay back.  I have a feeling the chain tax preps turn a blind eye because the more they can "sell," the more they can charge.  All preparing taxes for profit should be so diligent, especially dealing with the FSA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, you seem to believe the client will not face any repercussions.  He will have to pay back all the money along with penalties and interest.  Your (possibly former) employer has some kind of feel good "guarantee" and you think all will be fine.

The client will  not be able to pay the 60 to $75,000 bill the IRS is preparing to send him (penalties, interest,  and  fees compound better than anything you have ever seen), Your employer might pay part of the interest, but your client will have to sue them to get it.  Plus he is still on the hook for the original amount of money with interest starting now that he has to pay.

When the client contacts a lawyer, he WILL find out what you did, and will definitely name you in a suit for a huge amount of money.  Hiring a lawyer to defend that suit comes out of YOUR pocket.  What you did also implicates your "co-workers" as they did some of the earlier returns.

Hopefully, Mr. Goblin is a nice, easy going guy, but do not bet your life on it. His lawyer will quickly tell him that that "tax guy" dropped a dime to collect 6 of 7 grand at your expense.  Mr. Goblin will no longer be your biggest fan after that.

Imagine heading out one morning a year from now and a bunch of black Suburbans block you in.  They are DEA and got an anonymous tip you were making a drug deal that day.  When they search your car, surprise they find  A dozen bags of various drugs.  Bye, bye freedom.  This scenario is a best case scenario for you, he may just get a buddy to stick a knife in your back.

$40,000 plus interest from a guy with no assets buys a truck load of hate.

You keep mentioning your mil career. Were you never taught about the Chain of Command?  There is such a thing in the civilian world as well, and you shit all over it.  The business license for your company was not in your name.  Your responsibility was to report any issues to your boss, and or owner, and let HIM handle it.  If you want to cover your ass, just CC all emails to him to yourself and keep copies.

As mentioned above, apply now to the IRS for one of those cushy gov-tit jobs, as no one in accounting or tax business will touch you for employment.

Assuming the tax business only pays penalties and interest, there's a hood rat out there that's about to be hit with a 40K+ tax bill from the IRS, AND they're going to have to tell him exactly who ratted him out and explain that it was an ethical violation. OP will be lucky if a lawsuit is the only thing he has to worry about.  

I hope OP doesn't mind the fact the 40K bill will effectively be coming out of his pocket, once the attorneys get done with him.

I love it when someone decides to play 'little helper' for the .gov, and it blows up in their face.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#33]
So, by adding together the following info...guys mom lives with him and is a dependent, the cousins parents are incarcerated, he can't do his own taxes, his net income ends up at zero, his dependent mom shows up with him to do taxes.

I am going to guess this is not just a regular middle class, hard working, home owning, upstanding, constitution loving fella?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]
How can the client sue him?  He did what he was supposed to do.  With all the bitching that goes on here re tax fraud, I can't believe 100% aren't behind him.  If the client was truly innocent, well the company should have to pay all of it.  This stuff has to stop .  I can guarantee if you omit any earnings or tried to claim something not valid, as a working tax payer, you would be penalized.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was with you right up until the tattle-telling part.   Seriously, wtf dude?

Beyond that, I think CoC would frown on what I really want to say right now.

If the IRS audits his return and compares it to last year's, they will discover the inconsistencies. When they look into it, they will find out that I know about it. If I don't say something, and allow it to be swept under the rug, I would be just as guilty of tax fraud and lack of due diligence as the prior year's preparers. That would result in a fine and loss of my right to practice before the IRS. Should I be convicted of tax fraud, I'd never work as an accountant.

Are you required under penalty of law to report the prior years mistakes?  

As much as most of us dislike the IRS, people have to pay their taxes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I have disdain for the IRS, I think you did the right thing. Even if you looked the other way, your name is on the return so now you would have to worry for the rest of your life if the IRS finds it.

The way I read it, he prepared it the right way this year... but made it a point to tell the IRS about it being prepped the wrong way the previous two seven.

If I willfully withheld information that I had from the IRS about tax fraud, I am just as guilty and would be subject to life-altering punishments.

I'm surprised to hear that.  It's one thing to commit fraud, but I'm surprised that they make you report other people's mistakes/fraud.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How can the client sue him?

Because a paid tax preparer has the same professional, privileged relationship as an attorney or doctor.

Let me explain it this way. You go hire a legal firm to consult with your startup small business, because you want to know if what you plan to do violates federal law. The attorney you are assigned decided that what you plan is kosher and tells you to proceed. A few years down the road you are assigned a new attorney, who decides that what you're doing is in violation of federal law and calls the feds on you, using information you've shared while acting in the attorney-client role.

What's the point of hiring someone for professional advice and sharing privileged information, if they're only going to turn around and act as an unpaid agent of the state?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I have disdain for the IRS, I think you did the right thing. Even if you looked the other way, your name is on the return so now you would have to worry for the rest of your life if the IRS finds it.

The way I read it, he prepared it the right way this year... but made it a point to tell the IRS about it being prepped the wrong way the previous two seven.

If I willfully withheld information that I had from the IRS about tax fraud, I am just as guilty and would be subject to life-altering punishments.

I'm surprised to hear that.  It's one thing to commit fraud, but I'm surprised that they make you report other people's mistakes/fraud.

I asked the same question you just did from the OP and he avoided it.

It's false, as I was finally able to get from a more knowledgeable tax professional in this thread.   He's not liable for his clients' previous wrongdoing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#39]
So  

-Guy trusted your company to prepare his returns

-Your company fucked up

-You ruin guys life.  

You want a cookie?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I read all five pages.

OP may be able to sleep good at night now, but the "ghetto goblin" will surely find out about who snitched and his lawyer will go after the OP.

I wouldn't want to be OP, the company, the preparer, or the client right now... nothing good will come of this.

Best of luck, you're going to need it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm sure the national tax prep company gave the taxpayer a refund anticipation loan and his tax prep fees were high (over $300 for a return which would have cost less than $100 using standard e-file, no refund anticipation loan).  The larger the refund, the more they charge.    Thus, how many other returns do these national tax prep companies push through without doing their due diligence?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I just wonder what will happen when they ask him to report any hidden guns he knows of.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#43]
You did the right thing.
I asked my CPA wife about this, she said oh shit $40,000.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I find it interesting that the OP simply took the word of the customer that he "absolutely" informed prior tax preparers of the proper relatoinship and used that to start his own little investigation and ratted out to the IRS.  People who depend on the EIC know pretty well who qualifies as a dependent for EIC purposes and who doesn't, so who is to say the customer told the truth in prior years?  

Did the OP get any of the prior preparers to admit that they knew these dependents were cousins, and not qualifying EIC dependents, or did he just make that assumption?

The OP had good intentions but he screwed up.  He will likely lose his job and probably get sued by the customer.  It's going to be a harsh lesson for a fresh out-of-school tax "expert."
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was with you right up until the tattle-telling part. Seriously, wtf dude?

Beyond that, I think CoC would frown on what I really want to say right now.

If the IRS audits his return and compares it to last year's, they will discover the inconsistencies. When they look into it, they will find out that I know about it. If I don't say something, and allow it to be swept under the rug, I would be just as guilty of tax fraud and lack of due diligence as the prior year's preparers. That would result in a fine and loss of my right to practice before the IRS. Should I be convicted of tax fraud, I'd never work as an accountant.

Are you required under penalty of law to report the prior years mistakes?

As much as most of us dislike the IRS, people have to pay their taxes.

No. You are REQUIRED to tell the client what was done wrong and encourage them to fix it. If they don't you sever the business relationship.

In this case he told his supervisors and mgt in the tax firm about it and they showed they did not care they were breaking the law. OP decided to let the IRS know and did the right thing IMO. He might get fired, but he could sue. Anyway, he said he doesn't really care about the job because it ends in a couple of months.  The client could sue him, but he didn't have any part of the previous returns, so I bet the client would go after the firm instead.  Not to mention the deep pockets aspect.

One thing in question is did he do something wrong by giving the IRS the client name and SSN after he told the IRS about the firm's actions.

IRS rules say that a tax preparer MUST give the IRS information unless it is 'privileged'.

§ 10.20 Information to be furnished.

(a)

To the Internal Revenue Service.

(1) A practitioner must, on a proper and lawful request by a duly authorized officer or employee of the Internal Revenue Service, promptly submit records or information in any matter before the Internal Revenue Service unless the practitioner believes in good faith and on reasonable grounds that the records or information are privileged.

Is the clients name and SSN privileged? I don't think so. However, I suppose he could have bumped the request to his supervisor. It is a question I'm definately going to ask my future employers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I find it interesting that the OP simply took the word of the customer that he "absolutely" informed prior tax preparers of the proper relatoinship and used that to start his own little investigation and ratted out to the IRS. People who depend on the EIC know pretty well who qualifies as a dependent for EIC purposes and who doesn't, so who is to say the customer told the truth in prior years?

Did the OP get any of the prior preparers to admit that they knew these dependents were cousins, and not qualifying EIC dependents, or did he just make that assumption?

The OP had good intentions but he screwed up. He will likely lose his job and probably get sued by the customer. It's going to be a harsh lesson for a fresh out-of-school tax "expert."

We are allowed to use undocumented information from the client 'in good faith', unless we have a reason to believe otherwise.

But my 'cop' gut feeling is yeah, the dude (client) knew exactly what he was doing.  Hell, the tax firm might have even told him to play dumb if it ever came up.

There are a bunch of shady tax preparering companies out there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We are allowed to use undocumented information from the client 'in good faith', unless we have a reason to believe otherwise.

But my 'cop' gut feeling is yeah, the dude (client) knew exactly what he was doing.  Hell, the tax firm might have even told him to play dumb if it ever came up.

There are a bunch of shady tax preparering companies out there.

Yes, that is true.  I had a client tell me he bought a chair for his business as we were reviewing his paperwork for the year, so I asked for the purchase date and amount.  Got it written down in my notes, then the client had to keep talking - "Yeah, I bought a recliner to sit in front of my TV and "think" about the business every night."  

I sighed, and scratched out what I had just written and told him it wasn't deductible.

Many years ago I had a chick who was an illegal (since she had an ITIN and not a SSN) and her kids had ITINs.  I did the return and she was pretty unhappy with the result.  She wanted to know where her big refund was. I explained that because she was illegal, as were her kids and they all had ITINs, they didn't get the EIC as they didn't qualify.  She got upset and demanded her paperwork back, saying she would take it somewhere else that would get her a big refund.  I have to wonder how the IRS would even allow the EIC for someone using ITINs, regardless of what the preparer put into the system.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I have not read the entire post so this might have already come up:  I thought if you found tax fraud and reported it and filed the right form with the IRS you could get 15% finders fee.  so 15% of $40k is a few a bunch of loans paid.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have not read the entire post so this might have already come up:  I thought if you found tax fraud and reported it and filed the right form with the IRS you could get 15% finders fee.  so 15% of $40k is a few a bunch of loans paid.

15% minus self-respect
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread could go a lot of different ways.  

That is for sure.

Regardless of what you post in GD its going to turn into a shit storm.

Dont these places charge a % of what the tax payer gets back?  So, the more he got back the more the tax business got, right?  Thats why they dont care, they probably get bonuses.  What if that person doesnt work there anymore, can the IRS go after them?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top