Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This may be unpoppular but I think this should be how it is. People want to say they are crazy enough that they can't hold a job, but not crazy enough to be barred from firearms. You can't have your cake and eat it too

Maybe I'm biased but I really don't like the whole ptsd thing. I know several people that I think are faking it. They just want an excuse to not have to work. Any crazy they have, they had before going in the army

Go to hell. My father has very real ptsd and was forced to retire early from a career in law enforcement just a few years from his actual retirement date after seeking help from the VA.. He is not dangerous to anyone much less himself, and now he has to worry about shit like this on to of healthcare providers even within the VA who think like you do and make it a hellish experience trying to get help for a very real problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are so mentally ill that you can't hold a job, handle the stress of a job, and need the government to take care of you financially...............

Think about it. You do not have the mental capacity to get up in the morning, get yourself to work, do what you are told and then go home.

If you can't do that, how are you suppose to be trusted with a firearm?

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which part? The part where I said self proclaimed crazy people shouldn't be able to have firearms or the part where I said some of them are faking it?

One of my buddies is on 100% disability with ptsd and never saw combat in his life. He got it because he said his officers were mean to him

There is much more to the story you buddy isn't telling you.

No there isn't. He probably is a little screwed up in the head, but he went in that way.  Angry, troubled hid that always had trouble with anger management.  He got out and said he was screwed up from the army and was going to get 100 disability.  So he managed to get like 25%. Back in the real world he struggled to make any decent money. After a few years he quit his job and went after 100% disability again.  This time he had more ammo for his case because he "had to quit his job because of his ptsd" and was now "basically homeless because of his ptsd."   He ended up getting it. Keep in mind after all that, i think he got his 100% disability at age 26. Watching this go down has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. (Along with 2 other similar cases, but at least those two went to Iraq)

I call BS on this at least partially after seeing how long and full of bullshit the road to 70% was for my buddy who is truly fucked up, and 100%for my dad.

ETA - I am far more happy to see tax dollars spent to support disabled vets for the rest of their lives than I am seeing it go to welfare for life and the Fsa

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot of fucked up and "Fuck you I'll gladly throw you under the bus" in this thread  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
PTSD claimants that really fit in the FSA category should not own guns.

Those of us who had some form of PTSD (mild sleep disturbance, etc.), and have done the right thing by talking with someone while we hold real life jobs, should not be punished.  I never opted for drugs. Never asked to be paid, all I did was go and talk with someone a few times to ensure I was on the right path to adjusting back to the civilian life.  I am not, nor never will be the enemy of America and do find it disturbing when other Americans generalize this category of persons, especially at such a controversial age in our government.  keep in mind folks, the vast majority of individuals that have returned from many, many wars before went on to be both successful and contributing members of society.  it is even happening today with my generation.  Do not be the few ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Bad news
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is called the Veterans Disarmament Act and was signed into law in 2008...right before BHO took office....I keep telling people about this shit and no one listens....

ok I have never heard of that. Im going to mention it on the fb page

The official title is the "NICS Improvements Amendments Act of 2007"

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr2640/text

(c) Standard for Adjudications and Commitments Related to Mental Health-

(1) IN GENERAL- No department or agency of the Federal Government may provide to the Attorney General any record of an adjudication related to the mental health of a person or any commitment of a person to a mental institution if--

(A) the adjudication or commitment, respectively, has been set aside or expunged, or the person has otherwise been fully released or discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring;

(B) the person has been found by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority to no longer suffer from the mental health condition that was the basis of the adjudication or commitment, respectively, or has otherwise been found to be rehabilitated through any procedure available under law; or

(C) the adjudication or commitment, respectively, is based solely on a medical finding of disability, without an opportunity for a hearing by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority, and the person has not been adjudicated as a mental defective consistent with section 922(g)(4) of title 18, United States Code, except that nothing in this section or any other provision of law shall prevent a Federal department or agency from providing to the Attorney General any record demonstrating that a person was adjudicated to be not guilty by reason of insanity, or based on lack of mental responsibility, or found incompetent to stand trial, in any criminal case or under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Some of the bits I found rather disconcerting. "We adjudicated you mentally incompetent..... due process in a court you say? Well, I'm the deciding authority here and you had your opportunity for a hearing last year, it's not my fault you failed to schedule it..... no one told you about the opportunity? Ignorance of the law is no excuse! Now pick up that can."
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need  right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

Your a fucking idiot who has no idea what they are talking about.

I have an idea.  The number of bullshit PTSD claims is through the roof -- I've seen contractors openly bragging about their %.

If you're too fucked up to hold down a job -- you're too fucked up to own a firearm.

Don't like that?  Then don't try scamming the system and over-exaggerating your problems.

Individuals with full-on PTSD probably shouldn't have firearm access as was just demonstrated at a range with a well known SEAL.

If your PTSD is just sleep related or something minor than you wouldn't be being judged incompetent and you're not losing your firearms rights anyways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which part? The part where I said self proclaimed crazy people shouldn't be able to have firearms or the part where I said some of them are faking it?

One of my buddies is on 100% disability with ptsd and never saw combat in his life. He got it because he said his officers were mean to him

There is much more to the story you buddy isn't telling you.

No there isn't. He probably is a little screwed up in the head, but he went in that way.  Angry, troubled hid that always had trouble with anger management.  He got out and said he was screwed up from the army and was going to get 100 disability.  So he managed to get like 25%. Back in the real world he struggled to make any decent money. After a few years he quit his job and went after 100% disability again.  This time he had more ammo for his case because he "had to quit his job because of his ptsd" and was now "basically homeless because of his ptsd."   He ended up getting it. Keep in mind after all that, i think he got his 100% disability at age 26. Watching this go down has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. (Along with 2 other similar cases, but at least those two went to Iraq)

I call BS on this at least partially after seeing how long and full of bullshit the road to 70% was for my buddy who is truly fucked up, and 100%for my dad.

ETA - I am far more happy to see tax dollars spent to support disabled vets for the rest of their lives than I am seeing it go to welfare for life and the Fsa

Your two anecdotal cases don't compare to the 15+ I've heard about from Vets scamming the system and now working as contractors...
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have friends who suffered very trying times because they were fearful to go to the VA for just this reason.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
However, I do maintain that if you have psychological issues that are that pressing that you get 100% disability rating, you should not be packing.

It would be absolutely retarded to determine whether or not it's appropriate to deny the RKBA solely of the disability percentage. It's an almost arbitrary metric and a function of bureacratic determinations. The standard must always be whether the person is an imminent danger to themselves or others in addition to being mentally incompetent. To go about this any other way would be totally incongruent with the notion of due process. No to mention if you used the disability rating as your metric you will be forcing folks to choose between treatment/benefits and basic human rights, a dialema that would certainly produce significant unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The PTSD diagnosis does not mean you are The Deer Hunter. In the vast majority of cases, PTSD is really more a collection of minor emotional gliches that disrupt the ability of a veteran to "live normally". Generally it has more to do with guilt, hypervigilence, sleep disorders, and startle responses. The only time I have ever seen PTSD linked to violent behavior or extreme psychosis was when it was coupled with the gross abuses of both alcohol AND drugs.

The bolded part above can be a real problem.  Having had to talk a buddy into putting away his handgun in a parking lot because a guy got out of the car next to him I know that there can be some reasons a vet with PTSD might need to have his ability to own guns restricted.  Another guy has told me that on occasion when a car pulls up next to him too quickly he draws his gun.   Both of these guys hold down jobs so the issue isn't exactly cut and dry.  But i do agree with those that say that if a vet is saying that PTSD affects them so bad that they can't even hold a job I think it is prudent to examine whether they should own firearms.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of the guys here advocating restricting the rights of combat veterans with PTSD have any idea of the fucked up shit that happens in theater.  I'd wager these are the same kind of guys who get a hard-on to the idea of an civil war/armed rebellion in the USA.  I'm sorry kid, but you're out of your lane.  Try stepping into my boots for a bit before going after the rights that I fought and bled for.  

And sorry, citing some 2nd hand example of "some guy you know with PTSD blah blah blah" does not count.

First I will say I am a civilian and never served.  I appreciate the service of our fine soldiers.  I have known several friends and family that have served in active combat over the years and all were gun owners.  I find this despicable that they would take away the rights of these people.  Several of the older guys I grew up around were in Vietnam and had what would be diagnosed as PTSD nowadays.  One drank about five fiths of vodka a day.  I helped clean well over 3000 empty bottles out of his room.  His brother was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam and would leave the room anytime someone even mentioned the war.  My grandfather served a tour in WW2, tour in Korea, and two tours in Vietnam.  One of the guys I knew that was in Iraq in the 90's was diagnosed with PTSD, later robbed a bank and got extradited from Germany.  Except for the now felon I never saw a problem with them owning firearms.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a friend who has ptsd, several times a year i talk him out of buying a firearm, ain't no fuckin way i want him to own a gun, nethier does his wife, don't much give a shit what anyone thinks, if he ever buys one it will turn up lost.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Whether true or not, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that eventually anytime someone mentions they are depressed they will be forced to turn in their guns and never own another one.

Tinfoil(?), maybe but probably not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need  right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

Please explain to me how someone can be absolutely so unstable that they can not hold a job but stable enough to own firearms?

Say a person spends a few years living everyday with their mortality impressed upon them by the reality they are experiencing, often tramatically.
Maybe that person has a little trouble re-adjusting to the modern American society and the business/corporate world half-filled with lazy, stupid, self-centered idiots that just want to sham their way through the day and run home to FB and watch reality shows that are far real life.
This may affect their ability to hold a job but it does not mean they are potentally psychotic.
Some people, who suffer from PTSD and other forms of mental disorders, should not be allowed to own weapons until the are determined to no longer be a threat to themselves or others. This should be only in extreme cases and needs to be determined judicially after medical review.

Every system that is set up will be exploited by a percentage of indiviuals envolved on the receiving end and sometimes by those who run the system.

It's even simpler than that really.

Lets say you and your doctor have a pretty good handle on all your manifesting symptoms of PTSD through a variety of means to include medications. One of those medications is Ambien. 99% of the time it works like it should and you're able to get to sleep and wake up for work like you should. But on rare occasions it acts as a narcoleptic and you sleep through the three alarm clocks you have set. This happens 3 times in a four month period, and you suddenly find yourself fired from your job for tardiness.

Congratulations, you're "too unstable to hold a job." Uncontrollably violent? Nope. Unable to make proper moral or ethical decisions? Nope. Unable to manage your finances soundly? Nope. Your meds just made you late for work too many times, so fuck you, now turn in your guns!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lets say you and your doctor have a pretty good handle on all your manifesting symptoms of PTSD through a variety of means to include medications. One of those medications is Ambien. 99% of the time it works like it should and you're able to get to sleep and wake up for work like you should. But on rare occasions it acts as a narcoleptic and you sleep through the three alarm clocks you have set. This happens 3 times in a four month period, and your suddenly find yourself fired from your job for tardiness.

Congratulations, you're "too unstable to hold a job." Uncontrollably violent? Nope. Unable to make proper moral or ethical decisions? Nope. Unable to manage your finances soundly? Nope. Your meds just made you late for work too many times, so fuck you, now turn in your guns!

I will NEVER take sleeping pills or any mind altering drugs, I don't give a FUCK who is trying to give it to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:34:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will NEVER take sleeping pills or any mind altering drugs, I don't give a FUCK who is trying to give it to me.

Your choice. For some folks it's the decision between taking the ambien on work nights in order to function as a productive person or being awake for 35-40 hours straight, half of which is spent with the classic symptoms of sleep deprivation only to suddenly swing from insomniac to narcoleptic for 12-14 hours.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your choice. For some folks it's the decision between taking the ambien on work nights in order to function as a productive person or being awake for 35-40 hours straight, half of which is spent with the classic symptoms of sleep deprivation only to suddenly swing from insomniac to narcoleptic for 12-14 hours.

Understood but keep in mind that I believe eventually information that shows someone is using mind altering drugs, for WHATEVER reason, will be used to remove their 2A rights.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Lets say you and your doctor have a pretty good handle on all your manifesting symptoms of PTSD through a variety of means to include medications. One of those medications is Ambien. 99% of the time it works like it should and you're able to get to sleep and wake up for work like you should. But on rare occasions it acts as a narcoleptic and you sleep through the three alarm clocks you have set. This happens 3 times in a four month period, and you suddenly find yourself fired from your job for tardiness.

for my part at least that is not the type of guy i am talking about.  I am talking about the guy that doesn't work and has made the claim that he can't work because he is too screwed in the head.  That is a far cry from the scenario you posted.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#22]
If someone has a mental illness, are they also to dangerous to society to be able to speak out in public?  Perhaps we should also suspend the 4th and 5th Amendments?

Why in the world should people who've served their country, have their guns confiscated?  I will once agree with DoubleFeed in that we are now starting to conjure the Booggieman out of GOOD folks who have PTSD, depression, anxiety, bi-polar, etc.  Stop trying to create criminals out of everyone and stop trying to scare those who need the most help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:03:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a bullshit, uneducated opinion. I've been diagnosed with severe/chronic ptsd. I have guns. The VA  confirmed the only ones that would be referred to a judge are the ones that have demonstrated themselves as a danger to themselves or someone else. There's are many different forms or ways that ptsd affect people. Having ptsd does not mean you are going to take off with you're rifle and reenact a flashback. For some its just not sleeping well or forgetting things, being a little more irritable or cautious. Do some research before you go running your month about things that don't know anything about. You sound like the Media talking about guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I just saw on FOX where former USN Seal C. Kyle and another guy was killed at a Texas gun range by some guy with PTSD.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain to me how someone can be absolutely so unstable that they can not hold a job but stable enough to own firearms?

Not unstable in the way you are trying to portray it. Instant, in a loudly used teen to describe not sleeping, checking the doors to make sure they are locked.always looking for an escape route, easily startled from sleep. But being able to focus on one thing at s time.that's what s genericThat's what a majority of ptsd is comprised of.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
ok I saw the article of the man getting raided but I just saw this on the U.S. Army WTF moments Facebook page

J
***Heads up for disabled veterans claiming PTSD***

I just got my C&P (compensation and pension) appeal back. My rating for PTSD was increased. They also stated that because of my PTSD I am incompetent and goes on to state, "You are prohibited from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate and of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both pursuant to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, Pub.L.No. 103-159, as implemented at 13, United States Code 924(a)(2)." I am completely appalled. What this says to me is that its perfectly fine for me to stand up when some others wouldn't and fight for my country. Coming home with injuries that are invisible. Depression and guilt I can not shake. Feelings of remorse and fear of, "What if's." And as a reward for my sickness I do not receive more care. I do not receive counsel. I do not receive anything but a constitutional right revocation. Im at a total loss for what to say on this.

wtf facebook page

As a VA doc I can say this is pure BULLSHIT

Question - does the VA over-prescribe narcotics or what? Fucking every time I have gone there to pickup meds, there is someone freaking the fuck out about not getting their oxycontin, telling people in the waiting room they are getting oxycontin, or asking what they have to do to get oxycontin

They don't give them out like candy where I go.  People just want to get high.

Denver VA must be out of the ordinary. I have seen some pretty epic freakouts over narcotics at the pharmacy there.

this happens at every pharmacy in the US  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If someone has a mental illness, are they also to dangerous to society to be able to speak out in public?  Perhaps we should also suspend the 4th and 5th Amendments?

Why in the world should people who've served their country, have their guns confiscated?  I will once agree with DoubleFeed in that we are now starting to conjure the Booggieman out of GOOD folks who have PTSD, depression, anxiety, bi-polar, etc.  Stop trying to create criminals out of everyone and stop trying to scare those who need the most help.

Because this is one indirect way for the assholes who favor civilian disarmament to acheive their nefarious goal.

Of course you knew this but I wanted to type it anyhow.

So there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Seriously guys?  A lot of you in this thread sadden me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Reason why on my post deployment health survey, I answered along the lines of "Exposed, but not symptomatic at this time" to pollutants, chemicals, loud noises, and mental health issues.  

I wanted to cover my ass just in case, but give it a few years.  A thunderstorm triggered a flashback for me on my first year I returned, fine now (with hearing protection on ).  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm rated 70% for ptsd. I have my ffl/sot. I would sure like to know what the fuck my ptsd has to do with me owning a gun? So what if I have recurring dreams, don't sleep well, have had anxiety, don't like crowds, I'm hypervigilant or easily startled. Just means I'm being compensated for things I did while I was In the army that have changed my quality of life. Some of u fucktards need to educate yourselfs about what ptsd really is.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seriously guys?  A lot of you in this thread sadden me.

It ain't so much that I fault someone for trying to alleviate their mental problems..........for me it is an overly intrusive system that will probably be set up and used to remove their 2A rights.

Do you see my point?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...the VA cant rule you incompetent. Only a judge can do that.

on the guy's story.

WRONG. It's real. It's bullshit that it's real,but that is what happens (had a family member go through stuff with the VA)

Until you're ground through cogs the machine doesn't sound so bad.

Prove it. No tinfoil sites either.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2008/01/08/veterans-may-suffer-from-the-veterans-disarmament-act/

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#33]
One thing that many people in this thread don't understand is that VA disability is much different than other types of disability.   It is not meant as insurance for those rendered unable to work, it is direct compensation for degraded quality of life as a result of injury, it does not mean that you cannot work.  A PTSD rating does not mean that you are so FUBAR in the head that you can't function.

PTSD ratings are very common.  Many of them are based on very sketchy claims, including a lot of outright fraud.  However, there are many vets who are fully functional but are rated because their quality of life is impacted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Sorry, but I think this guy is right. If your PTSD is bad enough that you have to draw a disability check each month, maybe gun ownership might not be the best idea.

Bullshit.

PTSD has nothing to do ith the potential to harm anyone else.

Can't hold a job and have to become a dependent of the .gov because of it and get free money for life? Maybe you really aren't on the same plane of reality with others and thus gun ownership should not be in the tea leaves for you.

How does any of what you just typed show cause to deprive someone of their naturals rights without due process.

On top of that lots of people have PTSD and do hold a job.

I find it disturbing that you are so readily willing to deprive people of their natural rights with no due process.

Military people with PTSD have done more to serve their country than most people, if some are on assistance, it isn't free money for them, they paid for it with sweat, blood, tears and trauma.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Sorry, but I think this guy is right. If your PTSD is bad enough that you have to draw a disability check each month, maybe gun ownership might not be the best idea.

Bullshit.

PTSD has nothing to do ith the potential to harm anyone else.

Can't hold a job and have to become a dependent of the .gov because of it and get free money for life? Maybe you really aren't on the same plane of reality with others and thus gun ownership should not be in the tea leaves for you.

Christ, butthurt much about the money issue?  

You've mentioned it in damn near every post in this thread.  Get over it dude.  

Have hearing damage?  The VA pays you for it.  Not because you can't work, its compensation for the more difficult life you now face.

Lose a leg?  The VA pays you for it.  Not because you can't work, its compensation for the more difficult life you now face.  

Have some level of PTSD?  The VA pays you for it.  Not because you can't work, its compensation for the more difficult life you now face.

Holy fuck people.  This shit isn't hard to understand.

And life becomes ever more difficult as you get balder, fatter, and older. Who do you petition for those monies due the more difficult life you now face?

Because that happens to everyone. The trauma of combat does not and is bestowed upon those who voluntarily or are asked to step up for the common good of the country and do and see and feel things that are the worst humanity has to offer.

You say you are a vet yet you can not see this?

ETA. I see now that you are suing 100% disability for PTSD.

I think either someone is a violent threat or not makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm rated 70% for ptsd. I have my ffl/sot. I would sure like to know what the fuck my ptsd has to do with me owning a gun? So what if I have recurring dreams, don't sleep well, have had anxiety, don't like crowds, I'm hypervigilant or easily startled. Just means I'm being compensated for things I did while I was In the army that have changed my quality of life. Some of u fucktards need to educate yourselfs about what ptsd really is.

Not if arfcom has anything to say about it. Don't worry comrade, we know what is best for you, we'll keep you safe and make your choices for you, we know you're not capable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:41:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This. It's disgusting that there are more than a few here that would accuse you pod taking free money, Fsa style.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It's disgusting that there are more than a few here that would accuse you pod taking free money, Fsa style.

Including fellow veterans, apparently.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#41]

I've been diagnosed with severe/chronic ptsd.  
Not sleeping well or forgetting things, being a little more irritable or cautious.

I'm surprised to learn that severe PTSD has pretty minor symptoms.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#42]
So many people in this thread commenting on PTSD who have no knowledge or experience with PTSD.  The "My buddy scammed the system and I'm mad so anyone who has PTSD should lose their firearms" posts are just sad.  Before you post on a subject, at least go research it enough to not look like a total fool.  Are some people able to scam the system?  Yes, but it is extremely difficult to do.  As someone who recently (just this week) got diagnosed with PTSD I can tell you that it is not as easy as walking into the Psychologists office and saying "I can't sleep and have bad dreams".  They need documentation of the the event/events that lead to your problems (date/place/description) and it needs to be vetted through your SRB.  You can't just sit on a base for 6 months and claim PTSD having never seen combat.  And, yes, combat encounters are recorded in your SRB through CARs and similar reports.  

Now, on to PTSD itself.  To say anyone with PTSD is not mentally stable enough to own a firearm is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.  You probably aren't aware, but you can be service connected for PTSD and receive a 0% evaluation.  Did you know that?  Depending on the severity, your compensation can range from 0%-100%.  So, a veteran who has a 0% service connected disability rating should not be allowed to own a firearm?  Ask anyone who has gone through the VA.  It is damn near impossible to be rated 100% for anything.  This is the VA requirement for a 100% schedule rating:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

This evaluation does not come strictly from the interview with a Veteran.  There must be Dr. reports and other evidence to back it up.  So, in short, people who are ranting about their buddy who got 100% disability for PTSD because they "faked it" either don't know the whole story or are full of .

I specifically told the lady who sat with me for almost 2 hours that I started to cancel my appointment numerous times because of my concern over the current political environment.  She nodded her head and said that is a growing concern among people in her profession.  She assured me that in order for anyone to try to get you deemed unfit to own a weapon, they must have proof that you are a threat to yourself or others and it is VERY difficult for them to do.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now, on to PTSD itself.  To say anyone with PTSD is not mentally stable enough to own a firearm is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard.  You probably aren't aware, but you can be service connected for PTSD and receive a 0% evaluation.  Did you know that?  Depending on the severity, your compensation can range from 0%-100%.  So, a veteran who has a 0% service connected disability rating should not be allowed to own a firearm?  Ask anyone who has gone through the VA.  It is damn near impossible to be rated 100% for anything.  This is the VA requirement for a 100% schedule rating........................

The point for ALOT of us is there could VERY WELL be a new mental health type of regulation, etc., enacted into law that will remove 2A rights for those complaining of PTSD.

It has nothing to do with the patients being bull shitters but to our worry of an intrusive, unfair mental health statute being enacted.

As a result of this fear, I recommend NO ONE go to a doctor complaining of depression, etc.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#44]
is bestowed upon those who voluntarily ... see and feel things that are the worst humanity has to offer.

What did people expect when they joined the military?  Are they surprised that this is part of the job description?  Did they think that being exposed to this kind of stuff wouldn't change them as a person?

I enlisted with open eyes so I'm curious if the majority of people who serve the military don't think this stuff through.  

(This is also not a statement that mental health treatment should not be given.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Isn't the most common symptom of PTSD insomnia, or just trouble sleeping in general?  PTSD is a spectrum disorder.  It can manifest as any of dozens of symptoms, many benign and a few dangerous.  The problem is that we all know that PTSD itself will be used as the deciding factor in whether you can own guns, and not what specific symptoms you have.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with Tangledhorns on this.  Mentally unstable people with guns are the reason we are under so much scrutiny now.   Keep up with your belligerent attitude and they will succeed in taking guns away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This may be unpoppular but I think this should be how it is. People want to say they are crazy enough that they can't hold a job, but not crazy enough to be barred from firearms. You can't have your cake and eat it too

Maybe I'm biased but I really don't like the whole ptsd thing. I know several people that I think are faking it. They just want an excuse to not have to work. Any crazy they have, they had before going in the army

Do you support ending retirment for the troops?
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Watch how they play Chris Kyle's murder to add PTSD diagnoses to NICS

I warned people that Obamacare + Electronic Medical Records is going to be one of the biggest losses
of freedom in U.S. history.  PTSD is only going to be one of many mental disorders that will be put on the
list for prohibited persons.  Good luck trying to reverse that.  I've worked at the VA as a doc during my
training years.  I remember patients trying to get higher and higher service connection and now it's going
to hurt a lot of them, especially with the new law changes in 2008 pointed out above!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch how they play Chris Kyle's murder to add PTSD diagnoses to NICS

I warned people that Obamacare + Electronic Medical Records is going to be one of the biggest losses
of freedom in U.S. history.  PTSD is only going to be one of many mental disorders that will be put on the
list for prohibited persons.  Good luck trying to reverse that.  I've worked at the VA as a doc during my
training years.  I remember patients trying to get higher and higher service connection and now it's going
to hurt a lot of them, especially with the new law changes in 2008 pointed out above
!

FIFY for MORE EMPHASIS!!

You forgot to say they'll make it ALL retro-active.

Nevermind.........you DID mention that.

DO NOT go to a doctor for depression issues if you value your 2A rights IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My friends room mate was in the marines doing things with radio and tech??? Dunno what his job title was.

He says he has PTSD. Apparently playing with computers fucks your shit up... He seen no combat what so ever. Must be nice to sit around and collect a paycheck.

Fuck that guy.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top