BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need  right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

Your a fucking idiot who has no idea what they are talking about.

This
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need  right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

Yeah, well prepare your anus because Chris Kyle was just killed by a soldier with PTSD. The fear mongering campaign will probably begin soon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Whatever. Mental illness is mental illness, whether it is the result of genetics, having your Uncle Steve watch you while you shower, or getting it from experience(s) in combat. If someone is that fucked up that they are going on serious psychotropic drugs and get 'free money' for the rest of their life because they can't work, maybe gun ownership is not the best and brightest idea.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well prepare your anus because Chris Kyle was just killed by a soldier with PTSD. The fear mongering campaign will probably begin soon.

Yep.  I'm sure the dems can't wait to exploit this.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Tell that to Chris Kyle

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain to me how someone can be absolutely so unstable that they can not hold a job but stable enough to own firearms?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the reasons that I will never go to a PTSD screening, even though I get referred to one at almost every VA appointment.

This
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a process for appealing the decision but good luck the deck is stacked. Because the action denied due process I would hope it would be declared unconstitutional but any more I have no faith in the system. It's worse than Russian roulette after what I've seen happen to a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the reasons that I will never go to a PTSD screening, even though I get referred to one at almost every VA appointment.

This

Just double tapping this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Whole lot of arrogant, disrespectful, ungrateful mother fuckers in here talking about PTSD when they know fuck all about it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I think I do. My dad is a Vietnam vet with PTSD, once tried to gouge out my mother's eyeballs in her sleep. He didn't realize what he was doing till her kicking and screaming snapped him out of it. Till this day I don't think its a good idea he has a gun as he still has nightmares from his experience over there.

If you're the type that think certified mentally unstable people should have a gun then you're part of the problem here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I think I do. My dad is a Vietnam vet with PTSD, once tried to gouge out my mother's eyeballs in her sleep. He didn't realize what he was doing till her kicking and screaming snapped him out of it. Till this day I don't think its a good idea he has a gun as he still has nightmares from his experience over there.

If you're the type that think certified mentally unstable people should have a gun then you're part of the problem here.

You think every case of PTSD is identical? You think every person responds to PTSD identically? Some of my friends who I served with have been diagnosed, you gonna kock on their doors and demand their guns?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

This

Whatever. Mental illness is mental illness, whether it is the result of genetics, having your Uncle Steve watch you while you shower, or getting it from experience(s) in combat. If someone is that fucked up that they are going on serious psychotropic drugs and get 'free money' for the rest of their life because they can't work, maybe gun ownership is not the best and brightest idea.

^ Agreed
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
After the CT shooting = "It's not about the guns! It was about Adam Lanza's mental health!  It was probably also whatever medications he took!  Something must be done about the mental health system!"
After the Chris Kyle/PTSD shooting =  "Fuck you, it's not about the mental health!"
Typical day in GD.  

It blows my mind how superior and entitled some people think they are compared to the rest of society.
ETA:  My opinion as a civilian looking at the situation from the outside?  Mental illness is mental illness.  If you're mentally damaged enough to claim disability, get put on those types of medications, not be able to work, etc...then you're probably mentally damaged enough to not own any firearms(which you shouldn't be blowing your money on anyway if you're not able to work).

With that said there are varying levels of PTSD just like any other mental illness.  This pretty much just serves to emphasize a problem we've already been facing...the mental health system.  We need to have help available to those that need it, and we need to better figure out and understand those varying levels of illnesses because unfortunately some mental illnesses manifest in to the person going on a shooting rampage.  Not all PTSD sufferers are going to hurt themselves or another person, not all aspergers/autism sufferers are going to hurt themselves or another person, etc.  We need to be able to help them all, and detect those differences that separate the harmless ones from the harmful ones.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You think every case of PTSD is identical? You think every person responds to PTSD identically? Some of my friends who I served with have been diagnosed, you gonna kock on their doors and demand their guns?

You do realize that the D in PTSD means disorder, right? Some may have mild cases but I know there are those that are severe enough where they should not have a gun till their treatment, if possible, heals them of the PTSD.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
lol@civilianswithoutptsd

enjoy that 2nd amendment ya got thar....
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+100000
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, if someone has PTSD the last thing they need is a gun. The last thing we need right now is seeing on the news some vet suffering from PTSD shooting up a mall.

This

^ Agreed

Me, too.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say that you're too messed up in the head to function normally, but then expect to be treated like you are not messed up in the head.

That being said, trying to prevent people with severe PTSD from having a gun and using it is about as effective as trying to keep violent criminals from getting guns and using them - in other words, almost zero.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Plus, I know a lot of dickheads that got out and claimed PTSD even though they never left the wire. My ex-gf got out and claimed PTSD and she was in fucking Kuwait.

Won't that be a hoot. Enjoy your free money, fakers.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that the D in PTSD means disorder, right? Some may have mild cases but I know there are those that are severe enough where they should not have a gun till their treatment, if possible, heals them of the PTSD.

So only people who are a danger to themselves or others should be restricted, so as it is right fucking now, so nothing to do with PTSD as a stand alone issue. Thanks for playing, go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
It can be as simple as you remarking in an exam "sometimes I forget to pay my bills" and you are ruled incompetent to manage your finances....the VA appoints a financial "guardian" and reports you to NICS.

The bad part is I have heard many stories of vets who have problems, but refuse to tell anybody because they are scared of the consequences.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It can be as simple as you remarking in an exam "sometimes I forget to pay my bills" and you are ruled incompetent to manage your finances....the VA appoints a financial "guardian" and reports you to NICS.

The bad part is I have heard many stories of vets who have problems, but refuse to tell anybody because they are scared of the consequences.

That is why you think very carefully before you speak at the VA.

Too many clowns are on the hunt for free money, and are unknowingly putting themselves in this situation.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

So if somebody is diagnosed with insomnia (a mental health diagnoses at the VA) and takes ambien they should have their rights taken away?  "Mental illness is mental illness" is a pretty broad statement.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

So if somebody is diagnosed with insomnia (a mental health diagnoses at the VA) and takes ambien they should have their rights taken away?  "Mental illness is mental illness" is a pretty broad statement.

You're simply arguing semantics here.

Sorry, but if someone is that fucked that they can't lead a normal life and become a dependent of the state because of their mental condition or have to be heavily medicated just to get through the day, gun ownership is not for them.

I'm sick of crazy people out there fucking things up for everyone else without deep-seated psychological issues.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder how many of the guys here advocating restricting the rights of combat veterans with PTSD have any idea of the fucked up shit that happens in theater.  I'd wager these are the same kind of guys who get a hard-on to the idea of an civil war/armed rebellion in the USA.  I'm sorry kid, but you're out of your lane.  Try stepping into my boots for a bit before going after the rights that I fought and bled for.  

And sorry, citing some 2nd hand example of "some guy you know with PTSD blah blah blah" does not count.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which part? The part where I said self proclaimed crazy people shouldn't be able to have firearms or the part where I said some of them are faking it?

One of my buddies is on 100% disability with ptsd and never saw combat in his life. He got it because he said his officers were mean to him

Your ignorance is astounding. Could it be your friend just doesn't want to talk about it? They usually don't talk about their experiences to just anyone. People with PTSD don't go looking for freebees. Returning troops from deployment are now screened and encouraged to seek counseling and as my son witnessed some are ordered to seek help for their own good. PTSD is as old as war itself. Actually it can be caused by any traumatic event not just the stress of war. How about getting educated on the subject before making a fool of yourself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

After the CT shooting = "It's not about the guns! It was about Adam Lanza's mental health!  It was probably also whatever medications he took!  Something must be done about the mental health system!"

After the Chris Kyle/PTSD shooting =  "Fuck you, it's not about the mental health!"

Typical day in GD.    It blows my mind how superior and entitled some people think they are compared to the rest of society.

ETA:  My opinion as a civilian looking at the situation from the outside?  Mental illness is mental illness.  If you're mentally damaged enough to claim disability, get put on those types of medications, not be able to work, etc...then you're probably mentally damaged enough to not own any firearms(which you shouldn't be blowing your money on anyway if you're not able to work).  With that said there are varying levels of PTSD just like any other mental illness.

Well then my opinion is any one who has never served in the armed force should own an AR. With that said there are varying levels of retard and I think you just hit the full segment of that. PTSD is not a mental illness it is a physical disorder that sometimes has psychological side effects.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I wonder how many of the guys here advocating restricting the rights of combat veterans with PTSD have any idea of the fucked up shit that happens in theater.  I'd wager these are the same kind of guys who get a hard-on to the idea of an civil war/armed rebellion in the USA.  I'm sorry kid, but you're out of your lane.  Try stepping into my boots for a bit before going after the rights that I fought and bled for.  

And sorry, citing some 2nd hand example of "some guy you know with PTSD blah blah blah" does not count.

Been in theater, combat arms, don't advocate or hope for civil war, and definitely not a kid.

However, I still believe the mentally ill should not have access to firearms regardless of their veteran status. It is simply irrelevant.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Sorry, but I think this guy is right. If your PTSD is bad enough that you have to draw a disability check each month, maybe gun ownership might not be the best idea.

Interesting.  You happen to know anyone drawing disability for PTSD?

I do.  They carry guns for a living around me and the public every day.  Solid people, just a bit touched by something most wouldn't (and obviously don't) understand.

Still, it's this kind of crap that keeps folks from addressing the issue.  I know I wouldn't dare, even if I had PTSD.  How awesome.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]

You're simply arguing semantics here.

Sorry, but if someone is that fucked that they can't lead a normal life and become a dependent of the state because of their mental condition or have to be heavily medicated just to get through the day, gun ownership is not for them.

I'm sick of crazy people out there fucking things up for everyone else without deep-seated psychological issues.

I think it is more than semantics...painting everybody with a broad brush in regards to any mental health diagnoses is a slippery slope.   Think about how many people have been prescribed ambien for insomnia (medically defined as a mental health diagnoses); I know many (stable) people who have taken it at some point or another.  Combine that with the advent of mandatory electronic health records and alot of good people can get screwed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Is PTSD a mental disorder??? if it is then.............If you have PTSD are you not prescribed medicine to treat it...........you cant have it both ways.........
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Combat veterans who have PTSD have probably done more for this country than 85% of ARFCOM will ever hope to do for themselves...and people want to take away their right to keep and bear arms?

Please....
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is PTSD a mental disorder??? if it is then.............

Then what?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Borderline Personality Disorder is not Schizophrenia is not Depression.  "Mental illness" is not a broad brush with which you can paint people.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Sorry, but I think this guy is right. If your PTSD is bad enough that you have to draw a disability check each month, maybe gun ownership might not be the best idea.

Does this rights-suspension apply to the other amendments or only the 2nd?

ETA: And only to stress disorders, or should we dive into the DSM and see what else we can come up with?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain to me how someone can be absolutely so unstable that they can not hold a job but stable enough to own firearms?

The vast majority of people who fall under the PTSD umbrella do not fit, or even vaguely resemble, that description.  There's also no saying that there aren't other psychiatric factors or organic brain issues involved in cases like the the one you reference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Typical day in GD.    It blows my mind how superior and entitled some people think they are compared to the rest of society.

ETA:  My opinion as a civilian looking at the situation from the outside?  Mental illness is mental illness.  If you're mentally damaged enough to claim disability, get put on those types of medications, not be able to work, etc...then you're probably mentally damaged enough to not own any firearms(which you shouldn't be blowing your money on anyway if you're not able to work).  With that said there are varying levels of PTSD just like any other mental illness.

Well then my opinion is any one who has never served in the armed force should own an AR. With that said there are varying levels of retard and I think you just hit the full segment of that. PTSD is not a mental illness it is a physical disorder that sometimes has psychological side effects.

I went back to edit and clarify my post before any of the superior/entitled arfcommers decided to personally attack me for it.  Looks like I wasn't fast enough.  Here it is anyway...
Quoted:

After the CT shooting = "It's not about the guns! It was about Adam
Lanza's mental health!  It was probably also whatever medications he
took!  Something must be done about the mental health system!"

ETA:
 My opinion as a civilian looking at the situation from the outside?  
Mental illness is mental illness.  If you're mentally damaged enough to
claim disability, get put on those types of medications, not be able to
work, etc...then you're probably mentally damaged enough to not own any
firearms(which you shouldn't be blowing your money on anyway if you're
not able to work).

With that said there are varying levels of
PTSD just like any other mental illness.  This pretty much just serves
to emphasize a problem we've already been facing...the mental health
system.  We need to have help available to those that need it, and we
need to better figure out and understand those varying levels of
illnesses because unfortunately some mental illnesses manifest in to the
person going on a shooting rampage.  Not all PTSD sufferers are going
to hurt themselves or another person, not all aspergers/autism sufferers
are going to hurt themselves or another person, etc.  We need to be
able to help them all, and detect those differences that separate the
harmless ones from the harmful ones.

I bolded the part you should pay particular attention to.

Your AR comparison is fail unless you can provide proof that it was or currently is used in any war by any soldier.  You may as well just call it an assault rifle that shoots a high-powered cartridge out of a high-capacity clip if you're going to go there.

Also, PTSD is a mental disorder.  You can read more about it here http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=posttraumatic_stress_disorder and here http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/how-is-ptsd-detected.shtml for starters, but then again it's on the net so it must be false.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I have yelled this since 2006 no one cared.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Been in theater, combat arms, don't advocate or hope for civil war, and definitely not a kid.

However, I still believe the mentally ill should not have access to firearms regardless of their veteran status. It is simply irrelevant.

Wasn't targeting you with that comment poink

That said, you can't just label people "mentally ill" and then take away their rights.  Ever heard of eugenics?  Who's to say gun ownership is not a mental illness, or some type of failure to integrate into society disorder?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I find some of these arguments against restricting access to firearms for those with PTSD rather amusing. Why? Because I am sure some of the very same people who throw around bastardized quotes of Orwell's "more equal than others", complain about cops getting exempt from new restrictions, and bitch about laws not applying to politicians are the same ones pulling, "I'm a god damn vet" card.

If you are crazy, violent, hear the dog and/or toaster telling you to do things, can't hold a job due to mental illness, get free money for PTSD, are a threat to others or yourself, etc you should probably not own firearms. Sorry - truth hurts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#41]
this is not cut and dry in now way, if you truly have PTSD then thats one thing, but if your playing the game, you raised the red flag yourself on firearms possesion, and believe me there are some players out there
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't targeting you with that comment poink

That said, you can't just label people "mentally ill" and then take away their rights.  Ever heard of eugenics?  Who's to say gun ownership is not a mental illness, or some type of failure to integrate into society disorder?

I'm not hating on you, homey. I'm just pointing out that there should not be a disconnect between restricting civilian crazies and military crazies. Both jeopardize things for the rest of us, my man.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I find some of these arguments against restricting access to firearms for those with PTSD rather amusing. Why? Because I am sure some of the very same people who throw around bastardized quotes of Orwell's "more equal than others", complain about cops getting exempt from new restrictions, and bitch about laws not applying to politicians are the same ones pulling, "I'm a god damn vet" card.

If you are crazy, violent, hear the dog and/or toaster telling you to do things, can't hold a job due to mental illness, get free money for PTSD, are a threat to others or yourself, etc you should probably not own firearms. Sorry - truth hurts.

What he said +1000
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not all of your examples have parity, but I think I see the issue.  Have fun with that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
The sad part is that this going to keep people who could really use the help from getting it because they are not going to get any where near the docs with the threat of losing their rights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Bullshit.

PTSD has nothing to do ith the potential to harm anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Combat veterans who have PTSD have probably done more for this country than 85% of ARFCOM will ever hope to do for themselves...and people want to take away their right to keep and bear arms?

Please....

so now your trying to justify owning a firearm based on service to country, if your fucked in the head, you do not need a weapon
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#48]
How about we just take away rights from anyone who has ever seeked professional help

Marriage counselor= no rights for you
grief counselor= no rights for you
ADHD in elementary school= no rights for you

Hey lets just shortcut it and put a check box on all doctor forms where they can just take away your rights without any stupid due process maybe just have a 800 number so they can send the ATF to go raid your house

and yeah fuck all those assholes who want a free paycheck from the man they got one while they where in we should cut there lazy ass off now

(the above is sarcasm)

GD is filled with people screaming don't take my rights away for no reason but are happy to throw others under the bus because they think they know something about PTSD.  There is a reason why NRA, GOA etc are fighting to stop the VA from being able to take away rights by simply checking a box.  Why should veterans have to go fight in court to have their rights restored how about some due process.  Yes some people fake PTSD but before you judge someone think about the fact if they got some shit they are dealing with maybe they don't want to talk about it with someone who has never been there so they lie about what they actually did.  How about you do some research on PTSD you will ind out most cases are mild and guys simply just go talk to someone to get some shit off there chest.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruh-roh!

Bullshit.

PTSD has nothing to do ith the potential to harm anyone else.

Can't hold a job and have to become a dependent of the .gov because of it and get free money for life? Maybe you really aren't on the same plane of reality with others and thus gun ownership should not be in the tea leaves for you.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went back to edit and clarify my post before any of the superior/entitled arfcommers decided to personally attack me for it.  Looks like I wasn't fast enough.  Here it is anyway...

Quoted:

ETA:  My opinion as a civilian looking at the situation from the outside?  Mental illness is mental illness.  If you're mentally damaged enough to claim disability, get put on those types of medications, not be able to work, etc...then you're probably mentally damaged enough to not own any firearms(which you shouldn't be blowing your money on anyway if you're not able to work).

With that said there are varying levels of PTSD just like any other mental illness.  This pretty much just serves to emphasize a problem we've already been facing...the mental health system.  We need to have help available to those that need it, and we need to better figure out and understand those varying levels of illnesses because unfortunately some mental illnesses manifest in to the person going on a shooting rampage.  Not all PTSD sufferers are going to hurt themselves or another person, not all aspergers/autism sufferers are going to hurt themselves or another person, etc.  We need to be able to help them all, and detect those differences that separate the harmless ones from the harmful ones.

I bolded the part you should pay particular attention to.

Your AR comparison is fail unless you can provide proof that it was or currently is used in any war by any soldier.  You may as well just call it an assault rifle that shoots a high-powered cartridge out of a high-capacity clip if you're going to go there.

Also, PTSD is a mental disorder.  You can read more about it here http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=posttraumatic_stress_disorder and here http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/how-is-ptsd-detected.shtml for starters, but then again it's on the net so it must be false.

And those links also state that there are side effects from ptsd like I said.  Contractors in Iraq used AR15s.  Civilians should not own any guns that the military has ever used.  I made that reference to ars because it was as full of derp as you original post.  

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top