Site Notices
4/15/2014 2:52:24 PM
4/15/2014 11:16:20 AM
Author
¯\(°_0)/¯ Designated Gunsmith,
InstructorMilitary
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:00:37 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
How can some one copper plate lead bullets? I need a few copper washed.
Blah blah blah..
safe1
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:01:23 PM
tag
At the suggestion of HermanSnerd

Shootin stuff is fun...but bein' "the stuff" ain't.
fish223
Always Ready
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:07:13 PM
A chance to cut is a chance to cure
live-free-or-die
The Dude
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:08:14 PM
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.
www.minnesotaccw.com
4v50
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:09:18 PM
Ohh, another FatMcNasty boolit project. Keep us updated o' Sage o' the Boolits.
Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:11:15 PM
First, you need copper. Bar, plate sheet, wire or foil. Doesn't matter. This becomes the anode. Next, you need copper sulfate and sulfuric acid. This forms the electrolyte.

For bullets, you need to tumble them while plating. Just a slow tumble is all that is necessary. The tumbling drum is made from conductive metal like stainless steel mesh. This makes the circuit without having to wire up each bullet. Since the drum is the cathode, it gets plated. After a while, copper builds up on the drum's surface, reversing the electroplating current without bullets removes the copper on the drum and makes it available for plating the next batch.

There are other variables that have to be worked out. The idea is to have the copper anode inside the drum and a layer of bullets 2-3 deep in the drum so the majority of the copper plates out on the bullets. And the drum rotation is enough to completely mix the bullets.

That is how it is done.
What is wrong? We tolerate mediocrity and call it diversity.
No wonder we are headed to hell on a fast pony.
strat81
Misanthropic Realist
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:16:45 PM
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
First, you need copper.
*snip*

You are MacGyver.

"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association today! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/
dyezak
Epic Member Elite
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:19:44 PM
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Fat! I'm surprised at this question coming from you. Anyhow, when I looked this up last summer it was a process of using a rotating drum with cathodes and anodes going through the axle on which the drum rotates... Looks like a system you can DIY with but I haven't pursued it any further.
Fat_McNasty
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:21:56 PM
ok what im thinking is.. I can make a lead core thats undersized. copper plate. then add the HP and form the tip..

and what do I get! gold dots for the 300 BLK! which WILL open at sub speeds..
Blah blah blah..
Fat_McNasty
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:23:04 PM
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Fat! I'm surprised at this question coming from you. Anyhow, when I looked this up last summer it was a process of using a rotating drum with cathodes and anodes going through the axle on which the drum rotates... Looks like a system you can DIY with but I haven't pursued it any further.

I know im slipping..
Blah blah blah..
338winmag
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:24:36 PM
How do you add the hollow point?
If you don't have the guts to fight them in court you won't have the guts to fight them in combat.
KF5GNW
Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:27:06 PM

Originally Posted By 338winmag:
How do you add the hollow point?

Pierce with a mandrel punch in a forming die. FmN swages bullets.
What is wrong? We tolerate mediocrity and call it diversity.
No wonder we are headed to hell on a fast pony.
the_naked_prophet
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 4:30:06 PM
[Last Edit: 1/29/2013 4:31:47 PM by the_naked_prophet]
ok what im thinking is.. I can make a lead core thats undersized. copper plate. then add the HP and form the tip..

and what do I get! gold dots for the 300 BLK! which WILL open at sub speeds..

To make it a bit easier than the drum idea, make the anodes points, so that the bullets fit over the point. Keep the rest of the anode insulated, so the copper only plates the bullet, and only on the outside of the bullet (ie, not inside the cavity). No tumbling necessary.

You could even get fancy, and buy some hex keys of the right size, and grind them down to a pointy hex, so the bullet would split into six petals. Or use a square key, to expand the bullet into 4 petals. I'd go with the hex.

ETA: use one of the anodes to make the cavities in the bullet tips.

1Andy2
Grand Wizard of the Human Supremacist Movement
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 5:13:21 PM
[Last Edit: 1/29/2013 5:13:47 PM by 1Andy2]
There is a company out there that makes bullets much in the way you describe. I forget their name off-hand.

I think you'd be better off building a machine to feed the cast bullets into jackets If you were thinking of bulk commercial production.

Collating the bullet cores wouldn't be hard. Some kind of shaking tray to make them stand base-down. Then feed through a tube into a rotating plate that passes over another rotating plate. Second rotating plate will have your jackets. Core plate will feed the jacket plate. Positioned above the next position on jacket plate will be a seating ram. Since it doesn't take all that much force to seat cores, this could be a pretty low-torque motor. Logic could be as simple as a time-delay relay, too. Have a torque limiter in there too, so the motor doesn't stall when the ram reaches bottom.

I can't think of a good way to feed the core-seated jackets into your corbin press. I'm sure it could be done, tho.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill