Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2013 12:00:37 PM EDT
How can some one copper plate lead bullets? I need a few copper washed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohh, another FatMcNasty boolit project.  Keep us updated o' Sage o' the Boolits.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
First, you need copper.  Bar, plate sheet, wire or foil.  Doesn't matter.  This becomes the anode.  Next, you need copper sulfate and sulfuric acid.  This forms the electrolyte.  

For bullets, you need to tumble them while plating.  Just a slow tumble is all that is necessary.  The tumbling drum is made from conductive metal like stainless steel mesh.   This makes the circuit without having to wire up each bullet.  Since the drum is the cathode, it gets plated.  After a while, copper builds up on the drum's surface, reversing the electroplating current without bullets removes the copper on the drum and makes it available for plating the next batch.

There are other variables that have to be worked out.  The idea is to have the copper anode inside the drum and a layer of bullets 2-3 deep in the drum so the majority of the copper plates out on the bullets.  And the drum rotation is enough to completely mix the bullets.

That is how it is done.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First, you need copper.  
*snip*  

You are MacGyver.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fat!  I'm surprised at this question coming from you.  Anyhow, when I looked this up last summer it was a process of using a rotating drum with cathodes and anodes going through the axle on which the drum rotates...  Looks like a system you can DIY with but I haven't pursued it any further.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
ok what im thinking is.. I can make a lead core thats undersized. copper plate. then add the HP and form the tip..

and what do I get! gold dots for the 300 BLK! which WILL open at sub speeds..
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fat!  I'm surprised at this question coming from you.  Anyhow, when I looked this up last summer it was a process of using a rotating drum with cathodes and anodes going through the axle on which the drum rotates...  Looks like a system you can DIY with but I haven't pursued it any further.

I know im slipping..
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
How do you add the hollow point?
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How do you add the hollow point?

Pierce with a mandrel punch in a forming die.  FmN swages bullets.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ok what im thinking is.. I can make a lead core thats undersized. copper plate. then add the HP and form the tip..

and what do I get! gold dots for the 300 BLK! which WILL open at sub speeds..

To make it a bit easier than the drum idea, make the anodes points, so that the bullets fit over the point. Keep the rest of the anode insulated, so the copper only plates the bullet, and only on the outside of the bullet (ie, not inside the cavity). No tumbling necessary.

You could even get fancy, and buy some hex keys of the right size, and grind them down to a pointy hex, so the bullet would split into six petals. Or use a square key, to expand the bullet into 4 petals. I'd go with the hex.

ETA: use one of the anodes to make the cavities in the bullet tips.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a company out there that makes bullets much in the way you describe.   I forget their name off-hand.

I think you'd be better off building a machine to feed the cast bullets into jackets If you were thinking of bulk commercial production.

Collating the bullet cores wouldn't be hard.  Some kind of shaking tray to make them stand base-down.   Then feed through a tube into a rotating plate that passes over another rotating plate.  Second rotating plate will have your jackets.  Core plate will feed the jacket plate.    Positioned above the next position on jacket plate will be a seating ram.  Since it doesn't take all that much force to seat cores, this could be a pretty low-torque motor.  Logic could be as simple as a time-delay relay, too.  Have a torque limiter in there too, so the motor doesn't stall when the ram reaches bottom.

I can't think of a good way to feed the core-seated jackets into your corbin press.  I'm sure it could be done, tho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top