Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:31:29 PM EDT
If you were already pissed at the FSA for milking the system this will really make your blood boil.  I have a friend that signed on with Jackson Hewitt to do taxes as a part time second job.  She just told me that she is going to quit because the whole operation is shady.

Here is what she sees on a daily basis:

People that don't work, don't have a job, have no receipts on anything, no paperwork on anything will come and claim $15,000 in "self employment income".  She was instructed to file the taxes for these people even if they have no paperwork backing up any of what they are saying.  Most of them walk away with around a $5,000 "refund".  She says Jackson Hewitt takes a percentage of the refund as payment sometimes charging over $500 for filing a simple tax form.  Jackson Hewitt is obviously aware of what these people are doing but doesn't care since it generates revenue for them.  The scammers know what is going on and don't care, which is why they have no problem paying $500 to have a simple tax form filed.

So not only are the FSA getting food stamps, housing, cellphones, they are not working, not paying any taxes, and sticking their hand into Uncle Sam's pocket and pulling out another $5,000 as a credit for money that never even existed!    

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You never wondered why all these tax places spring up in the low rent areas this time of year?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Report to IRS?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see how anyone who claims $15k in "self employed income" will receive anywhere near $5k in a tax refund without statements showing a massive loss for the business.

Or is that the point?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Color me Shocked.
Shocked, I tell you. Shocked I am.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see how anyone who claims $15k in "self employed income" will receive anywhere near $5k in a tax refund without statements showing a massive loss for the business.

Or is that the point?

The earned income credit, AKA the fuck trophy rebate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or is that the point?

Can't question a protected class.......

Guess whonisngetting audited though?  You!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or is that the point?

EIC is a motherfucker. It can actually refund you more than you paid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The working man really is a sucka
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Shh... Don't tell anyone that the illegal immigrants do this and get $15k refunds! It's from all the fake kids they claim. IRS knows and won't fix the issue, even though it costs us billions annually.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't care.

I'm just a white, male knuckledragging prison guard.  

I wonder where absolute rage comes from.
Can't be from me.

Maybe some other guy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Or is that the point?

Well it's not a refund, it is the earn income credit.  You know poor people that work but don't make enough are given a check by the government to give them more money.  If you look at the Earned Income Credit table you will see $15,000 to $17,000 is the sweet spot where you maximize how much free money the government will give you.  "Earn" less than that or more than that and the amount goes down.  http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/earned_income_credit_table_1040i.pdf

For 2012 these are the maximum amounts of free money people can get by claiming around $15,000 in "self employed income".

• $5,891 with three or more qualifying children

• $5,236 with two qualifying children

• $3,169 with one qualifying child

• $475 with no qualifying children

The lack of any type of statement is the point.  No documentation at all and they get the huge tax credit back.  From the sound of it those people rarely get audited.  There is no money to squeezed from them so I bet the IRS doesn't even take a close look.

My friend quit because she realized her name is on the document and if there ever is an audit she can personally be held liable and fined.  Supposedly one of the tax prepares was recently fined $10,000.  The office is run by the wife of the guy who set it up.  He had some type of drug over dose and died.  Like she said, the whole operation is shady.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The EIC is one of the things that angries up my blood fierce.  Biggest scam going.  Fuck 'em ALL.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Well thank you all for settng me straight on this...

And getting my blood boiling.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The EIC is one of the things that angries up my blood fierce.  Biggest scam going.  Fuck 'em ALL.  

I used to think it was just a bonus the poor people got for working and not getting paid much.  But now to find out that these people aren't working at all and just making it all up to steal my money really pisses me off.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a story from last year that made me crazy.  Guys from Mexico and South America (Here Legally or not) claiming

that they have 10-12-14 dependents and getting $11,000+ tax "returns".  Most of the children don't exist or, if they do,

they live in Mexico.

http://www.wthr.com/story/17798210/tax-loophole-costs-billions
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit happens all the time and has been going on for a long time. Wife is a CPA and these assholes come in, expecting her to file a shitass return, " H & R Block got me this much last year." She sends them out the door and then calls IRS with the preparer's name and tax filer's name. She usually doesn't hear back, and the IRS doesn't do shit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#18]
This needs to stop.  total BS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I am soooo glad I got up for work today.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I find that hard to believe. I got a back tax notice in 2011 for my 2009 return, where I failed to claim $13 in interest in my savings account. Unreal.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#21]
What a fun post to read as I start my workday........

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't care.

I'm just a white, male knuckledragging prison guard.  

I wonder where absolute rage comes from.
Can't be from me.

Maybe some other guy.

Well guarding convicts does sorta put things in perspective in the "things are bad but they could be worse" dept.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought these parasites 'couldn't' work and that is why they are getting all the entitlements to start with.

I guess if there is an upside, it is that at least the $ is staying in this country to be spent and not going to prop up some 3rd world despot somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Report to IRS?

What good would that do?  The IRS is the financial arm of Obama's FSA...  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been bitching about EIC for years, but usually the response is "but I need that money, I have kids!". Idiots dont get that you shouldnt have kids if you can't afford them. They'd rather the government subsidize their reproductive stupidity. And it extends well into the middle class. The government should be out of the business of subsidizing reproduction and any other social engineering for that matter. But folks will never vote to take money from themselves and the people with children are in the majority at any given point regardless
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Report to IRS?

This, and letters to members of the House and Senate that give a shit.  That's total BULLSHIT!!  

FBO II

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:39:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What a fun post to read as I start my workday........  

Yea no shit!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#28]
How the fuck are they getting away with filing taxes with no SSN's and no quarterly tax payments on this so-called self employment income?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I ran my own tax business for 15 years and worked PT for another firm.  All of my customers were real working people, no EIC customers.  The other firm was in a low income area, EIC filled.  I was there for three years, and I just couldn't take anymore of low-life bums getting $4G to $6G tax refunds for leaching while hard working people got squat (FWIW, I made sure to see ALL of their documentation, despite the, "I've been coming here for XXX years, and ain't nobody ever asked me for all that stuff" whining).  I quit that firm then closed my own business due to new IRS requirements on my business (read that $$$), rising software costs, and Philadelphia business taxes.

It was said above that the IRS doesn't go after these people- no money in it.  Quite true.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Wouldn't surprise me if the govt uses these fake hours worked figures to give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done and use in the official unemployment rate reports.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#31]
You have to make 60K or better to make the same as the FSA does , which outside of the urban areas is damn good money .
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or is that the point?

The earned income credit, AKA the fuck trophy rebate.

No that's the $1000 child credit and the child care deduction.  EIC is the low income wage earner rebate, rewarding people for being unable to support themselves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#33]
This has been going on for years around here.

Many of the black churches around here have seminars on what to do. Not implying racism-- just observing.

There is a running "joke" around here about all the brand new cars that get purchased that end up repo'd in the next year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I owned a mfg. co. for thirty years. You don`t want to know what I saw.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Here in Tampa, they go a step further.  "They" file fake tax returns in your name and have "the refund" sent back to them on a debit card.  All they need is your name and SSN to file the fraudulent return. It's not uncommon to see several thousand in "refunds" for each return.

This scam is so popular, even drug dealers have stopped selling drugs to get in on this easy money scam.

Of course, it sucks when you attempt to file your actual return and are informed your debit card "refund" was sent to a POB a few months prior.

The local IRSs response to this was that "we have to send out the debit cards because some people don't have checking accounts to make the refund deposit...

The IRS is more complicit in the fraud than the thieves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Simple fact:

They can claim ZERO income and still get the EIC for $5000.

Worrying over $15K claimed is a waste.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Report to IRS?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll never understand why anyone can get a refund of more than they paid in.... complete BS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I find that hard to believe. I got a back tax notice in 2011 for my 2009 return, where I failed to claim $13 in interest in my savings account. Unreal.  

That's because your not FSA
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#41]
They know how to work the system and take our money.  Don't forger they also do many more scams to get our money.  Just wait until 2014 when OBcare take efffect.  More of our money will go to them.  i know a lot of people who work just to get by.  These FSA are doing better than they are.  This whole thing just burns my ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#42]
You should see the signs around my shitty area advertising the money back per-child.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#44]
when I was in the Army, I consistently heard rumors that certain single moms would calculate the max they could get with their 2-3 kids, and if they maxed out their EITC at 2 kids, they would allow a fellow single mom to claim the third kid in order to increase HER refund in exchange for a percent of the increase....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#45]
As said above that explains why all the Tax places pop up every year in the FSA Neighborhoods. It also makes sense because the IRS doesn't focus on auditing the low income people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought u have to provide a ssn to get the eic. I literally just did my taxes a couple hours ago and you have to provide a Ssn. How can u claim 10 dependents without that info unless u have fake ssn?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I thought u have to provide a ssn to get the eic. I literally just did my taxes a couple hours ago and you have to provide a Ssn. How can u claim 10 dependents without that info unless u have fake ssn?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/tax-refund-fraud-florida_n_1752244.html

714 from one address....seems pretty easy to fool the IRS.  Also with that video on the illegals filing and getting $10-15k back, I cannot believe this shit.

I just don't care anymore.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#48]
And you forget to include a 1099 or something and for sure will be audited.  The IRS picks on us because we will pay.  In addition, how iften does the politician, famous person, etc. go to prison for tax evasion, yet they will come at you with all they have for that extra $1,000 you owe due to an error you made.  It would be interesting to see what would happen if the suckers (working people) did not file one year out of protest.  But it would take everyone.  Will never happen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#49]
You don't have to claim any 'self-employment' income. You can work for someone else, make $5,000, pay $100 in Fed income tax and still get $1,500 back for each little rugrat. Filer must have SS #. Biggest scam is filing under someone else's SS # before they file. Client due $3,000 back but then the IRS computer notices a file already submitted under the same # and client is in limbo for 2 - 3 years, before he ever gets the return, sometimes they never get it. The scammer may have gotten double or triple what was due the true recipient.

Reason IRS can come back the following year for $13 of interest not reported is because the bank reported it and the computer caught it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#50]
This is the kind of shit that makes me absolutely irate. As a small business owner my taxes suck and these people are making bank off my tax dollars.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top