Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:38:33 PM
An elk on duty in a residential area.

District Attorney Stan Garnett today announced that Boulder police officers Sam Carter and Brent Curnow were arrested this morning in connection with the Jan. 1 shooting of a towering bull elk on Mapleton Hall, saying investigators determined the two men conspired to kill the elk as a trophy and for its meat.

The officers are facing felony counts of tampering with physical evidence, attempt to influence a public servant and forgery, as well as misdemeanor charges of unlawful taking of a trophy elk, conspiracy, a Samson law surcharge, killing an elk out of season, use of an electronic communication device to take an elk, and official misconduct.

electrojk
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:39:41 PM
good
"It doesn't surprise me you question everything the goverment says. What are you, a God damn communist or one of those hair-head pot-smoking fucking hippies?" Lumpy196
Weld4fun
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:40:28 PM
Originally Posted By electrojk:
good

poink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:40:48 PM
I wonder if they really thought that deleting those text messages would make them inaccessible to an investigation
poink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:43:38 PM
I never knew or heard about the Samson Law.

For those as retarded as me:

The additional fine is the result of the so-called Samson Law passed by the Colorado legislature. The Samson Law came about as the result of a poacher shooting a 1,000-pound elk near Estes Park. The new measure places mandatory fines on top of existing penalties. The added amounts range from $4,000 for an antelope up to $25,000 for a bighorn sheep. The surcharges are levied only when a trophy-sized animal is taken.

"The Samson bill is a valuable instrument on the wildlife books. People have said they don't want to see their wildlife resources plundered and have taken a hard line to deter poaching," Trujillo said.

The fines for poaching trophy-size animals, as defined by the following measurements, are:
• Pronghorn antelope with a horn length of 14 inches or more $4,000
• Bull elk with six or more points on an antler beam $10,000
• Whitetail deer buck with an inside antler spread of 18 inches or more $10,000
• Mule deer buck with an inside antler spread of 22 inches or more $10,000
• Any bull moose $10,000
• Any mountain goat $10,000
• Bighorn sheep with a horn length of one-half curl or more $25,000

RV4driver
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:52:09 PM
People's Republic of Boulder. Police not respecting the law. I wonder where they ever got the idea....Oh, wait, that's the essence of what is poured into the empty heads of those matriculating at CU.
poink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 6:56:26 PM

Originally Posted By RV4driver:
People's Republic of Boulder. Police not respecting the law. I wonder where they ever got the idea....Oh, wait, that's the essence of what is poured into the empty heads of those matriculating at CU.

Hate on Boulder all you like, but it really is a nice place to live. Sure, there are hippy, liberal freaks, but it has a lot to do, is clean, little crime, tons of outdoors stuff to do, etc.
ACfire
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:01:29 PM
Now if they could only get rid of the scumbag dirty cop up in Ft Collins who once again lucked out.
sigp226
Conqueror of the test post forum
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:03:36 PM
Does that charge mean that you are not allowed to use radios in a hunting party, or is it specific to the poaching charge?
"...next time you go to the next James Bond movie, you imagine him going on that mission armed with a sternly worded letter from The United Nations."

Bill Whittle
SKWhitlc
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:24:57 PM
Originally Posted By sigp226:
Does that charge mean that you are not allowed to use radios in a hunting party, or is it specific to the poaching charge?

electronic game calls. It's ok to trick them by rubbing two sticks together, but you'll go to jail forever for using an electronic mating call.
MotorMouth
What kind of monkey buisness is this?
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:44:01 PM
Originally Posted By SKWhitlc:

electronic game calls. It's ok to trick them by rubbing two sticks together, but you'll go to jail forever for using an electronic mating call.

It's illegal to use two way communication devices to coordinate the taking of game in a lot of states.
"As usual, this guy has it right." - krpind

"I'm feeling unusually lucid, like my brain is wearing a pair of glasses." Justa_TXguy
Ragin_Cajun
Cuddly as a Crowbar
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:51:47 PM
Originally Posted By Weld4fun:
Originally Posted By electrojk:
good

Ohne Schwefel und Salpeter gibt's keine Freiheit!

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
"You do realize you just outed yourself a moderate, right?"
SmilingBandit
Damn these electric sex pants!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:54:18 PM
I guess the officers now know what a book being thrown at them looks like.
"Upon further review, we have determined that the string itself is not a machinegun" -BATFE
4v50
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 7:54:21 PM
Good.

Headlines should read: Boulder Police Hiring. Apply at City Hall.
MAP
Team Member
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:11:05 PM
Originally Posted By ACfire:
Now if they could only get rid of the scumbag dirty cop up in Ft Collins who once again lucked out.

? Details
kozaki
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:20:03 PM

Originally Posted By MAP:
Originally Posted By ACfire:

? Details

watchwatch
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:21:42 PM
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 8:22:04 PM by watchwatch]
How many times have I heard this in GD?

"If you don't want to get arrested, dont break the law"

Time to pay up coppers
SeanC
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:23:24 PM
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 8:25:17 PM by SeanC]
After reading some of the side stories at the sights, I've concluded the people there are odd.

"Boulder residents mourn Mapleton elk at candlelight vigil"

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_22322028/residents-mourn-boulder-elk-at-candlelight-vigil?source=pkg

I'm all for the poaches being charged in this case, but a candlelight vigil for an elk??
I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty,” he said. “Tonight's a celebration, a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood.

WTF!
Tomislav
Sing, Muse, the wrath of Achilles...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:23:24 PM
The elk was acting like an asshole, not obeying lawful commands, and goaded the officers into the act.
callgood
HR? I'm showing 53 employees...... Fire 4.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:25:54 PM
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 8:26:39 PM by callgood]
They should have stuck to dags.
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. — 2 Thessalonians 3:10
whogasak47
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:26:35 PM
Neighboring communities were outraged. " Suck my balls " was overheard repeatedly at the rally.

This is what the gear queers don't understand. It's 99% mental. A man with a wooden stake and a burning desire to kill you will do it. Lootie23
Paul
Self aware sack of star stuff
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:27:58 PM
Originally Posted By whogasak47:
Neighboring communities were outraged. " Suck my balls " was overheard repeatedly at the rally.

http://www.docjelly.com/Blog/content/binary/Southpark_ep103_1.jpg

And "they took ur jobs!"
Celebrating the Second Amendment One Fine Firearm at a Time
BigMat
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:31:41 PM
Wait, Elks don't have dogs, this story makes no sense. Why were they even there?

Boulder may be left leaning but oink is right, I lived right outside of Boulder for a few years, not a bad place overall. Hard to complain about a city that close to some very beautiful country with food that good.
nefj40
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:32:37 PM
Meh, 15 years ago the Sheriff of Boyd county Ne. got ass-raped for poaching a elk.
sigp226
Conqueror of the test post forum
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:48:08 PM
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

It's illegal to use two way communication devices to coordinate the taking of game in a lot of states.

I think it was legal when I hunted in NJ and I don't remember if Pennsylvania had a rule on it or not. I think it was legal in New York, too. This is going back a few years, though.
"...next time you go to the next James Bond movie, you imagine him going on that mission armed with a sternly worded letter from The United Nations."

Bill Whittle
Nick1971
I'm the only Cool Hand Luke left in this town.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:56:51 PM
Originally Posted By poink:

Hate on Boulder all you like, but it really is a nice place to live. Sure, there are hippy, liberal freaks, but it has a lot to do, is clean, little crime, tons of outdoors stuff to do, etc.

And there was an amazing amount of really HOT girls that liked to party back in 1995 when I lived there.
"Don't look at me with that tone of voice!"
"Yea...and people in Hell want ice water."- Dad
"Everybody line up alphabetically by number."
poink
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 9:56:31 PM

Originally Posted By Nick1971:
Originally Posted By poink:

And there was an amazing amount of really HOT girls that liked to party back in 1995 when I lived there.

Why would you move away?
lostnswv
Common Sense is the ultimate superpower.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2013 10:02:16 PM
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

That seems like a law that could cause safety issues.
"When cities start using their, as you succinctly put it, "monopoly power on force" to stop a business from setting up shop in their city because of an opinion? Bet your ass I care. ..." Speedie