Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2013 8:12:18 PM EDT
I have this really bad habit of blowing extra money (Not regular savings) into guns but decided it was time to look into other options. I never used guns as an investment by any means, but with the economy the way it is, I would like to start looking into other physical options. I hear many people talking about dumping money into gold and silver but it seems like in order to actually pay the minimal amount in fees, you would need to purchase as much as possible at once to get near "spot price". I suppose eBay would also be another option when it comes to finding physical metals relatively cheaper than actual dealers, but with the added risk of authenticity.

Are there any better options that you guys invest in for long term methods to combat the declining dollar besides ammunition and pmags?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Land.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting ready to buy an investment property.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
PMAGs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
There are these black things that go bang....
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Land.

this
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hookers and blow
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had the money for large purchases such as land but at the moment, fund are somewhat limited. As a younger male in his mid 20's, I'd like to start throwing maybe a couple of hundred dollars at something every month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hookers aren't an investment, regardless of the color.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hookers aren't an investment, regardless of the color.  

HAHAHAHAHA you gotta be kidding me lol I literally choked on my water
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Improvements to my land and house.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wish I had the money for large purchases such as land but at the moment, fund are somewhat limited. As a younger male in his mid 20's, I'd like to start throwing maybe a couple of hundred dollars at something every month.

I would set the money off to the side until you can afford some acreage. I wouldn't purchase residential lots but rather large acreage in rural areas, preferably cleared land. Rarely does land value decrease if you can get it at the right price. "Buy land. They ain't making any more of the stuff. " - Will Rogers
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm 23 and I put a lot of my extra money into a Roth IRA, gold, and some silver. Then guns and ammo.

Used to do some other stock market stuff but not nearly as much as I used to
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Real estate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Farmland. I've made a really good return on it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
What is this "extra" money that you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Lead and brass... with a little gun powder mixed in for fun.  If the SHTF ammo will be the currency of choice... in the 20 years since I got out of the USMC I have NEVER seen ammo go down in price... economy takes a shit... ammo goes up, economy booming ammo goes up...
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Land seems nice, but with the amount of money I currently make and the big move I will be making back down to Georgia in 10 months doesn't seem like land would be the wisest choice and it only seems like the dollar will be getting a bit weaker until then atleast.

I been looking at Silver coins at APMEX.com. They seem pretty decent to fight against the dollar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stuff.

I like stuff...
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lead and brass... with a little gun powder mixed in for fun.  If the SHTF ammo will be the currency of choice... in the 20 years since I got out of the USMC I have NEVER seen ammo go down in price... economy takes a shit... ammo goes up, economy booming ammo goes up...

Ammo is always good from what I hear. I wanted to diversify a bit since I have quite the stash I have been collecting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was just looking at land a few days ago here in the southeast. Ran across plenty of owner financed properties that were <$2k down and a few hundred a month, 10-20 acres not too far from civilization. You'd own it within a decade. Im sure there's plenty of open lots out west of the Misissippi towards you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just looking at land a few days ago here in the southeast. Ran across plenty of owner financed properties that were <$2k down and a few hundred a month, 10-20 acres not too far from civilization. You'd own it within a decade. Im sure there's plenty of open lots out west of the Misissippi towards you.

Land would be great if it were near somewhere I would live in GA once I get out of the military. For those prices, I'm sure I can make a way to pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have this really bad habit of blowing extra money (Not regular savings) into guns but decided it was time to look into other options. I never used guns as an investment by any means, but with the economy the way it is, I would like to start looking into other physical options. I hear many people talking about dumping money into gold and silver but it seems like in order to actually pay the minimal amount in fees, you would need to purchase as much as possible at once to get near "spot price". I suppose eBay would also be another option when it comes to finding physical metals relatively cheaper than actual dealers, but with the added risk of authenticity.

Are there any better options that you guys invest in for long term methods to combat the declining dollar besides ammunition and pmags?

Don't bother with ebay for gold and silver. Prices on there are stupid high. Stick with Apmex for your PM purchases.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I have my gun collection pretty much it stuff I bought a few years ago is worth triple. I did cd's before but then those took a shit and the % are garbage now.. My dad does lots of bonds withh high % but you have to be able to forget about that money for at least 5-8yrs or more.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I always put my extra money towards my mortgage. Paid my house off before my 32nd birthday.

Trying hard to build equity in my rental properties now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
We're pretty good at putting into savings each pay, but really the most expensive things [we would be willing to sell during a worst-case scenario] we have are electronics, guns and their accessories.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Real Estate.
Guns/Ammo.

Gold/Silver.

Tools.

Books on various skills.

Seeds and other gardening implements.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I only read the thread title. This thread is about hookers, right?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I've gotten into the lifestyle of putting away food for a "rainy day" to further diversify my investments.
I already own two properties and plenty of things that go bang. Now it's food, reloading components, and finding free casting lead. I did foray into the silver market last month and will prolly continue to as funds allow. I did the silver thing because it's something else I can leave to my kids or use as currency if I need to.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Liquor and ammunition. These will be valuable commodities after the imminent collapse.

Edit: yes I have been into my liquor stash
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Guns and ammo will always be on the chopping block, flip part of your collection when there is screaming demand like Now or after the State of the union address.

Oil stocks usually head north, and nice dip currently, buy dividend stocks with a drip!!!

Tools, service your cars/trucks, and have tools to build a home.

Invest in yourself, education could be the best $$ spent vs return, no dumbed down degree, go science... Programming, engineering or if more hands on, design and CNC field.

By land later, if you have land and are strapped for cash or have low luquity, land can suck life from you. Gov. In the future might tax the shizz out if land to take it away from the regular folks, so have a plan with land.

Like others have said, ammo always goes up, don't junkie out and shoot up your stick pile.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Swaging gear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]
tools: the poor mans land
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Land

Tools

Home improvement

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I like to put some extra money into alcohol every now and then. Look for numbered and dated bottles of liquor. Rare beers that are brewed as a limited run tend to go up in value over time. Most of the time you can get the beers from a retailer when they are released for normal price. Hold onto them for a while properly stored and there is a good possibility that the value will increase. Don't put too much of your money into it , but investing some of it is good. A bottle of Louis XIII could be bought 6 years ago for $900 , you can't touch a bottle now for less than $1,300... thats about a 40% return over 6 years. Do some research and find out what is rare and popular. Invest a few hundred dollars in a decent wine cellar for storage and you are ready to start collecting. Always keep in mind that certain liquors have to be stored out of the light at certain temps to remain in a quality state for long periods of time , mainly wine and champagne. Stick to the big name brands , dated bottles are always a good choice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Improvements to my land and house Porsche.

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#37]
silver... buy at a bargan,or from people headed to the local pawn shops.... local guy pays 18.00 oz

hi grade 1911,s... theres always somone trying sell a custom build or old colt... make em a offer....

ammo, mag& gun parts are out...right now
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Food storage. Medical supplies. Personal hygiene supplies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#39]

"extra cash" .. what's that

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Property and tools.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Farmland. I've made a really good return on it.

Smart man.  People need to eat - unless they're on meth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like you want to go about your "investing" in the same way you used your extra cash, "I want to buy something NOW!!"  If you can't save your cash for 10 months until you get out and come back to Georgia, you need to stop and think a minute, cause it really won't matter how many coins you buy in the next 10 months, won't amount to much anyway.

Stick the cash in a separate account for 10 months and forget about it until you're settled in Ga and don't be so hasty, you can't invest like that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother with ebay for gold and silver. Prices on there are stupid high. Stick with Apmex for your PM purchases.

Kind of.

Save several searches using various terms and set it to look for buy it now, and newly listed.  I've scored some silver at spot and some below with this technique, but the key is checking several times a day.  You're looking for people that either don't know what they have or just want to sell quickly.  The best deals are always 90% coinage.  I figure I can blow 10 minutes in GD or scrounge for cheap silver on eBay.  The choice is obvious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

At the rate these go you will always be able to get what you paid and more.

Unless if you sell them in the EE.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:49:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stuff.

I like stuff...

I like guns I like the way they look I like the shiny steel and the polished wood, I like guns, I like guns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Investment property here. Some great deals out there right now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Precious medals for me=  

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Diversify!  Over the last four years my Roth IRA has done surprisingly well.  Physical metal can be had at a decent price (and free shipping) from scpm.com or Ebay (copper and lead have done pretty well the last year or two as well).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top