Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
well that is interesting
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
When is ammo shipped hazmat?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Hazmat  meaning primers and powder? Or are they actually not allowing ammo? Is ammunition considered hazmat in certain quantities?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive heard epa has blocked til Alaska has completed certain training on hazmat teams
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammunition is always classified as the lowest level of HazMat.  It has to be marked ORM-D, or with the new ORM-D label, and not shipped USPS.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well shit, that ain't good.

Off to the Internet to look into this more.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ammunition is always classified as the lowest level of HazMat.  It has to be marked ORM-D, or with the new ORM-D label, and not shipped USPS.

So, what if you were headed up for a spring bear hunt ?   What method does your ammo arrive ?

You can bring fifty pounds of ammo per checked bag on Alaska Airlines.  I brought some up from Texas previously.

ETA: Alaska got choked off on ammo shipments after the 2008 election when the O'Bumble administration started enforcing certain hazmat and shipping rules Clinton put in but never enforced.  They had to limit the amount on the cargo barges, spread it out between the four corners of the barge, and all sorts of other stupid shit that cut the quantity that could be brought up, and made it a hassle to bring whatever amount did get up here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hazmat  meaning primers and powder? Or are they actually not allowing ammo? Is ammunition considered hazmat in certain quantities?

Yep by the pallet it is class 1.4
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#10]
How convenient.  Is it just ammo?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Uh oh, that's going to go over like a lead....wait a minute!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
We just got an Email from all of our major Transportation contracts (UPS, VITRAN, YRC) that they will NOT be shipping any more ammo to us. They want it first...then we might get the left overs. if any at all..Major Bummer!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
If they can't ban online sales of ammunition, they will just refuse to ship it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#14]
This is getting so interesting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I managed to dig up a thread over on TheCMP.org about how a local FedEx manager is claiming new federal laws have just gone into effect for ammo shipments that will significantly raise the cost.

Apparently there is confusion regarding new labeling requirements for shipment? It sounds like 'no new labels, no shipping' to me. Of course I could be wrong, I'm not in the industry at all (of course, except for being a small customer of the OP's).  

Here are two articles that are referenced in the CMP.org thread:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/03/diamond-labels-will-replace-orm-d-labels-on-ammo-shipments/

http://www.type03.net/ammo/limitedquantity.pdf
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The new regs should only apply to air freight as of Jan 1, 2013.
archived thread: Ammo shipments to be classified as haz-mat?

FedEx Haz material current requirements
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#17]
This is where it begins....
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what if you were headed up for a spring bear hunt ?   What method does your ammo arrive ?

you contact me, I have an ammo fort you can rummage through

as for your OP first I've heard of it, I'll do some checking into it, all ammo has to be shipped by ground, usually to Seattle then it hops on a barge cost is astronomical unless you get a pallet, as for a case or 2 shipping usually equals cost of ammo and higher

and thats  if you can find a company who will actually ship here
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I go to SE AK every summer, and usually talk with the folks at the sporting goods store when I buy ammo. Ammo and components are about 75%-100% more expensive there than here, and last summer the guy told me they had new ammo shipping rules that were further driving costs up and basically making simple replenishment not feasible. He said the ammo gets shipped in a container on a barge, and the "new" rules dictate they can't mix haz-mat with regular cargo in a container, so ammo and components get their own container. This increases cost and drives shipping times up. This place is on an island, so stuff either comes in via barge or airplane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Not privy to any insight on this but I don't think it'll be permanent
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Import it....from Canada....
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like an entrepreneur opportunity for a company to start producing ammo in Alaska.  Hawaii is probably too much of a lost cause to start ammo production there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]
TAG

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, it is becoming more difficult to exercise your 2nd Amend rights.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, it is becoming more difficult to exercise your 2nd Amend rights.

It's all part of their plan.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#27]
If ammo prices weren't as high as they are this would be a good smuggling opportunity for someone with a Tragic Boat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I go to SE AK every summer, and usually talk with the folks at the sporting goods store when I buy ammo. Ammo and components are about 75%-100% more expensive there than here, and last summer the guy told me they had new ammo shipping rules that were further driving costs up and basically making simple replenishment not feasible. He said the ammo gets shipped in a container on a barge, and the "new" rules dictate they can't mix haz-mat with regular cargo in a container, so ammo and components get their own container. This increases cost and drives shipping times up. This place is on an island, so stuff either comes in via barge or airplane.

Would that be Ketchikan?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Import it....from Canada....

...or Russia
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would that be Ketchikan?

Yup. Tongass Sporting goods next to Bar Harbor is where I get ammo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When is ammo shipped hazmat?

Always has been. DOT Considers any ammunition (as in completely built rounds) to be 1.4S.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#32]
When I lived in Alaska we would have pallets of ammo shipped up from Bellingham, Washington.  It has to come via water casue the airlines wouldnt ship it and Canada has so many fucked up rules on what type of ammo is allowed to be transported through their country
This is interesting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is a pilot asking this?    You can doooo it man.   Fill up the Navion with ammo and beef jerky, bring a healthy credit card for fuel.  Set your heading to 305.    Stop off at APA to pick me up. (it's on the way).

Or you can pack your own ammo along with your gun and fly airlines.  It has to be in approved (original) boxes.  Contact your airline for specifics.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Using the tin foil for a moment. Perhaps this could create a market for ammo couriers if the feds decide this is an effective way to control ammunition without congress?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like an entrepreneur opportunity for a company to start producing ammo in Alaska.

Not if they can't get powder and primers shipped up there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Using the tin foil for a moment. Perhaps this could create a market for ammo couriers if the feds decide this is an effective way to control ammunition without congress?

Good idea.  I know a guy with a commerical license and an aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I expect our Communist Leader will use the EPA, DOT and other letter agencies to fuck over gun owners.

I still cannot believe that POS got re-elected.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I expect our Communist Leader will use the EPA, DOT and other letter agencies to fuck over gun owners.

I still cannot believe that POS got re-elected.

yea man, I hear ya
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I called my old freight contact @ American Fast Freight and she said there was no problem if I wanted to keep barging ammo up from Seattle. No idea...
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#46]
the russians are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Can we call a fire mission on this to figure out what is going on?  I have no .223 ammo at the moment and if none is coming, I'm going to abandon my buid and get what .22 I can.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I called my old freight contact @ American Fast Freight and she said there was no problem if I wanted to keep barging ammo up from Seattle. No idea...

oh please do!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh please do!!!

Well, crap.  I'm on hold with AFF currently while they read their email update.  

Hopefully they'll corroborate what Niko said.

EDIT:

AFF:  Email update was to say changes for waterborne transport (barges) are suspended until 01/2020.  Everything else remains unchanged.

Calling Carlile now to double check.

Edit Edit:  Off the phone with Carlile.  Standard consumer commodity stuff is still blue/black label and fine to ship.  1.1/2/3 stuff is still OTR as far as they know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Fuck the EPA and the DOT, Fuck them
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top