Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
Author
Posted: 1/6/2013 4:53:40 AM
Just checking to see who out there had a school sponsored gun-related club in this modern era. We did at a high school here in Washington state in 2001-2002, more specifically for trap shooting which took place at the Tacoma Sportsmen Club. A lot of fun, guns never made it on campus of course but always met us at the club. The school districts Superintendent fully supported, and approved funding for the initiative, and guess what -- no one shot each other. Good fun, and looking back on it, wish we had other schools in to compete with us. If only gun-culture, and safety was more widespread.

Additional note: Friends dad mentioned they used to bring their rifles to school for Hunters Ed. Wow, imagine that?
rustybelly
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:15:06 AM
Don't recall any gun clubs, however was commonplace to see rifles/shotguns
hanging in the rear window of pick-ups in parking lot of high school in the
early 70's
Kleinman
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:15:30 AM
HA, talked to my sis and they do not even have the archery class in PE class anymore. It was incredibly dangerous!!! No way in hell they would let a club like this continue.
(Its a small town, my mother still lives there between her and I there has never been an accident. Im almost 27)
R-32
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:27:26 AM
At Snohomish HS we used to goto the range down the street for .22 qualification... The Jr high school a block away to shoot air rifle in the gym.
dtux
Nachos and hogwash. This is MY JUICE.
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 5:29:52 AM
There's a local high school that had a trap team that would practice on a range behind the campus, I don't know if they're still around nowadays though. That was around '05-'09

At my school, just starting a paintball club was like pulling teeth. A gun club or shooting team wouldn't have even had a chance . Not for a lack of support at the school but the district was concerned about the potential liability nightmare.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Bogie
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 6:30:02 AM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2013 6:33:37 AM by Bogie]
Me and a buddy graduated from NYC Aviation HS in the early 90's, his father graduated from there in the 60's and they had a rifle team & range at the school (.22) we missed out it was done by then.
DT-USA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 6:33:32 AM
Originally Posted By dtux:
There's a local high school that had a trap team that would practice on a range behind the campus, I don't know if they're still around nowadays though. That was around '05-'09

At my school, just starting a paintball club was like pulling teeth. A gun club or shooting team wouldn't have even had a chance . Not for a lack of support at the school but the district was concerned about the potential liability nightmare.

What liability nightmare existed?
lefty-weaver-g19
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 6:45:54 AM
Our local high school has a shooting club. I don't know the specifics of it because I don't have any kids in high school and it didn't exist when I was in school.
Cypselus
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 7:31:40 AM
Arlington, VA public high schools, early 1990s. I am pretty sure the basement range has been repurposed since then.
TheSkown
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 7:45:30 AM
During hunting season a kid at my school parked far off campus and the SRO asks why and tells the kid to take him to his car, the SRO sees a hunting rifle, arrests and expels the kid.
RSIFireRescue
NYS EMT-B
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 7:56:28 AM
Originally Posted By TheSkown:
During hunting season a kid at my school parked far off campus and the SRO asks why and tells the kid to take him to his car, the SRO sees a hunting rifle, arrests and expels the kid.

That's BS. Kid should have just said thats where I feel like parking.
NYS EMT
Member of the BLS Hit Men, by invitation only.
Sponsored exclusively by NAES
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. -pcsutton

-Extremely proud member of Team Ranstad!
rob78
Professional Hobbyist
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:01:00 AM
There are quite a few local High Schools that shoot competitive Trap and Field. These are school-endorsed programs through NSSF's SCTP.

Carroll CountyMcKenzie School has an excellent boys and girls team. They'll make you look real bad shooting against them. They've been featured in quite a few gun magazines.

Obion County Schools also has two teams, but they aren't as well established.
"A goverment that's big enough to do everything for us, is powerful enough to do anything to us."
--Fred Dalton Thompson

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
DamascusKnifemaker
Ебать BHO
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:03:19 AM
Originally Posted By rustybelly:
Don't recall any gun clubs, however was commonplace to see rifles/shotguns
hanging in the rear window of pick-ups in parking lot of high school in the
early 70's

This for my High School.
This is Nevada, we don't care how you did it in California.
I'm Republican because not everyone can be on welfare.
IOMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:08:12 AM
In the 80's my high school in CT had a rifle team (.22's) I think it was phased out around '86 or so
none
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:10:07 AM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2013 8:10:45 AM by none]
In the late 80's we used to take our deer rifles to school on the bus and store them in the vice-principals office so we could ride the bus over to a friends house and go hunting in the woods behind his place. We had to leave our rifles in his office and lock our ammo in our lockers.

Yes this was in a tiny town in WI, most of the factories shut down in the area for deer season as well.
If you think shooting while doing the 'pee-pee' dance is easy - you've got a lot to learn -- Drawcut
vatopa
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 10:07:18 AM
Several schools around here have rifle tams. Western Pa.
dtux
Nachos and hogwash. This is MY JUICE.
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:11:43 AM

Originally Posted By DT-USA:
Originally Posted By dtux:

What liability nightmare existed?

They had to worry about some dipshit high schooler getting hurt/hurting someone and having it be associated with the school.
In some states that may not be an issue but despite being in a an extremely conservative part of California, there are still more than a few sue-happy folks around these parts
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
jDrexler
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:14:17 AM
I was in HS from '01-'05 and we had a Trap & Skeet club.
demon07nd
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:18:44 AM
Originally Posted By TheSkown:

Would would be the reason for expulsion? Did the kid fight it?
GunnyG
... you can't take the sky from me...
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:21:10 AM

Originally Posted By DT-USA:
Just checking to see who out there had a school sponsored gun-related club in this modern era. We did at a high school here in Washington state in 2001-2002, more specifically for trap shooting which took place at the Tacoma Sportsmen Club. A lot of fun, guns never made it on campus of course but always met us at the club. The school districts Superintendent fully supported, and approved funding for the initiative, and guess what -- no one shot each other. Good fun, and looking back on it, wish we had other schools in to compete with us. If only gun-culture, and safety was more widespread.

Additional note: Friends dad mentioned they used to bring their rifles to school for Hunters Ed. Wow, imagine that?

Chehalis and Shelton HS both have small bore rifle teams.
“A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
DanTSX
Blueblooded Yankee Carpetbagger :I
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:22:11 AM
A few of the private ones around here still have them.

One of the public schools has an air rifle team and practice at the local indoor pistol range.
Max Hardcore is not a crime!
ole_slewfoot
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:25:42 AM
We didn't have any shooting clubs in my school, but during deer season there was plenty of guns found on campus. The first day of deer season there were hardly any male students to be found until about lunch time, and we all left our guns in our vehicles. We all carried pocket knives. Guess what there was no killings or violence back then (1990's). Teachers would often ask to borrow a knife. Everyone had to take gun saftey and hunters ed. in the 8th grade. There was always at least one gun in my truck. Now at the same school a gun will get you expelled for the year and a knife will get you a week. Hunters ed. is not taught anymore, either. It is sad what our country is becoming.
Young-Kiwi
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:33:31 AM
Not sure how 'modern era' is modern, I was part of a school shooting team in the early 80's

Looking it up, it is nice to see that the school still has a shooting team.
shooting team
"no Jag driver is ever entirely trustworthy, but it is in a really nice likable way" - James May, TopGear
jaymack
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:34:01 AM
High School archery just became a sanctioned sport(just like soccer/bball/fball...). NASP is HUGE in elementary and middle school. 4H shooting sports is still as HUGE as it was when I was a member in the 90's. Nothing involving firearms is directly associated with the school system though. There is some crossover from TN kids that shoot in highschool and come to KY 4h trap meets since TN does not have 4H shooting to any extent.
leatherface_y2k
you can't have freedom for free
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:39:20 AM
My high school had a shooting club, I didn't join because I'd been shooting since I was 6 and thought it was gay... lol

I wish I'd joined.
"If Jesus had a gun he'd still be alive." - Homer Simpson
jaymack
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:40:09 AM
I volunteer with the 4H shooting sports and the greatest challenge is teaching the kids that:

VIDEO GAMES HAVE "WEAPONS"
WE HAVE FIREARMS, RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS!!!

on a similar note, I saw a sign somewhere that said something to the effect of:
"Kids that hunt, fish and shoot DON't rape, murder and steal"

A lot of truth in that.

If the country wants to do something regarding firearms that's truly "for the chillerns", they need to quit freaking coddling them and teach them how to respect and safely handle firearms! (rant over)
FishKepr
20% COOLER
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:41:47 AM
[Last Edit: 1/7/2013 12:42:06 AM by FishKepr]
Our local high schools have rifle teams. One of the former coaches is an ARFCOMer.
Liberals: There are many copies, and they have a plan.
Space Corps Directive 196156: 'Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial.'
Mossberg
Drunken cat herder
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:43:03 AM
We had one but then again it was a JROTC high school. That school is long out of business by now.
I bought me one of them assualt rifles after all the fuss. Damn thing won't assault anyone.....it just lays there on the table. Is it defective? Needs to be plugged in somewhere?
outofstep
Arrogant Engineer
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:47:10 AM
I graduated in 1999. One of the high schools I went to had more than just a "club," we had a rifle team. Competed with the other HS in state. This was in Anchorage Alaska. I shot varsity the two years I was on the team. Our indoor range was next to the basketball court.
Tango7
Dirty minded pervert
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 12:49:29 AM
I shot on the same range in HS in the 80's that my Dad did when he attended school there in the 40's.
BHO called SEALs they killed OBL
SEALS called BHO they were left 2 die.

Gun control requires so much faith in the face of statistics, data & history it should be an organized religion.
ma96782
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 2:59:00 AM
[Last Edit: 1/7/2013 2:59:21 AM by ma96782]
HS rifle teams and ROTC..........those are memories of the past for me while growing up in HI. Sadly, I don't see much of that anymore.........damm PC crowd.

Aloha, Mark
vengarr
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 3:00:50 AM
I graduated in 93, we had a rifle team and could buy a pass to the smoking area for like a dollar per semester.
I would just as soon make you cry as make you laugh, both are equally entertaining to me----me!
rifleshooter2001
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 4:08:53 AM
Plum High School in Pa has a rifle team Both of my kids are on it. Brother and sister.
PhatForrest
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 4:23:54 AM

Originally Posted By DanTSX:
A few of the private ones around here still have them.

One of the public schools has an air rifle team and practice at the local indoor pistol range.

Grasso Tech (State Tech School) has a team as well.