Author
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:37:09 AM EST
I ordered a Streamlight TLR-1 HP light for my AR from midway and, being the cheap ass I am, I used UPS surepost for the shipping. According to the tracking, its been in the post office in Shelby (nearest big office, after that it has to come to my local office in my town of 500 people.) for two days. It was supposed to be at my door two days ago. Any way i can go get it or will i have to suck it up and wait.
motown_steve
WAAAAAY back and...GONE!
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:44:00 AM EST
I would call the Shelby office and ask them first.

I can't believe UPS is using the USPS for package delivery now.
Assuming that 40,000 people die each year in the United States as a result of firearms, then the segment of the population killed by guns annually comes to a whopping .000129%.
Killbot
Tard for Hire
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:44:01 AM EST
Call. I've done pickup before. Just depends on who you talk to.
Just miles from your doorstep, hundreds of men are given weapons and trained to kill. The government calls it the Army, but a more alarmist name would be... The Killbot Factory.
ls1raven
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:46:14 AM EST
30 second phone call will save you a trip.
Barney_Calhoun
Heilsa!
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:47:41 AM EST
I can't stand that shit of passing it off to the postal service. When did this become the norm?
graysonp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:51:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2013 6:52:28 AM EST by graysonp]
Originally Posted By Barney_Calhoun:
I can't stand that shit of passing it off to the postal service. When did this become the norm?

When people started complaining about shipping prices. They've been doing it for years under several different shippign programs (UPS Mail Innovations, UPS Basic, etc). The standard retail rate for just a simple 1lb UPS ground package starts at about $10 now, regardless of destination.

It's a cheaper service that uses UPS infrastructure to deliver to a nearby postal hub, then they pay bulk sorted USPS rates to finish delivery. FedEx does the same with SmartPost.
E5TOMHAV
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:52:56 AM EST
I ordered an M&P magazine from Midway on 12/21 w/ estimated delivery on 12/31. Reached my post office on 12/29 and was just delivered 20 minutes ago. What a cluster.
Target556x45mm
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:53:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By Barney_Calhoun:

A little bit of research says that its because that "last mile" so to say is the most expensive. I do live in the middle of nowhere so that's probably part of it.

I'll call the office this afternoon. See how that goes.
BigDozer66
O'er the land of the free & the home of the brave!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:56:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I would call the Shelby office and ask them first.

I can't believe UPS is using the USPS for package delivery now.

Midway is he only company I use that does this.

If they weren't so outrageous on their shipping I would never let them dump it off to the USPS.

BigDozer66
"...One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
“War, like most other things, is a science to be acquired and perfected by diligence, by perseverance, by time, and by practice.” Alexa
TheLion
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:58:20 AM EST
I learned this lesson as well, if you pick ground or better it stays with UPS. USPS doesn't like delivering to me, the regular carrier will but others won't, because I don't have a mailbox. I mistakenly went with the cheapest shipping option on quite a few orders online thinking it was UPS, when it's UPS until the 'last mile'. I had to keep track of my shipments and go intercept them the morning they arrived at the post office or I wouldn't get them half the time. I kept asking my local carrier about why this was happening, before I knew, and she didn't have a clue. Fortunately, someone at LaRue gave me a heads up about it so now I know to pick ground or better.
castiel
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:01:33 AM EST
You'll probably have to go pick it up anyway because it'll be in a bin of mail they don't know what to do with
Target556x45mm
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:02:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheLion:
I learned this lesson as well, if you pick ground or better it stays with UPS. USPS doesn't like delivering to me, the regular carrier will but others won't, because I don't have a mailbox. I mistakenly went with the cheapest shipping option on quite a few orders online thinking it was UPS, when it's UPS until the 'last mile'. I had to keep track of my shipments and go intercept them the morning they arrived at the post office or I wouldn't get them half the time. I kept asking my local carrier about why this was happening, before I knew, and she didn't have a clue. Fortunately, someone at LaRue gave me a heads up about it so now I know to pick ground or better.

Yup, from what i just read thats my mistake, shoulda paid that extra 6 bucks instead of paying a few days time or for the gas to get to to the office and back.
Greg3
Screw it, I'm going shooting!
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:57:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2013 7:58:09 AM EST by Greg3]
I just picked up my Midway order at the Post office yesterday after UPS did their dump on it.

Hell, UPS dropped off the package at 8:45 am and the UPS driver came down our street at 1:15pm. I left for the PO at 1:30pm to go pick up my pacakge about 3 miles away.
In loving memory of: Staff Sgt. Delmar White
Army National Guard, Kentucky
Battery B, 2nd Batallion,138th Field Artillery
KIA: September 2, 2007, in Iraq by a roadside IED
GLHX2112
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 8:03:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2013 1:46:30 PM EST by GLHX2112]
Ahhhh, the joys of Smartpost. I've placed three midway orders in the past week and the default mail choice has been that shit.

Never again. Learned my lesson a couple years back when Sportsman's Guide did that too me after I selected UPS Ground and found out the hard way that you will get your package, eventually, but be prepared to watch as is sits at your local post office for days... because they don't give a shit.

I will go out of my way to pay more to ensure that I do not get smart post, or, mail innovations, or whatever the new name is to fool you into thinking you are getting one or the other. Fuck be upon them all.
USAF SP (Ret)
Target556x45mm
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2013 11:27:38 AM EST
I shall deleiver...or rather my mailman has, just arrived, oh the irony.